Fiasco: Amnesty thugs break glass, shut down Tancredo at UNC

posted at 2:20 pm on April 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Two clips from the latest Orwellian free-speech kabuki on campus featuring “right-wing extremist” Tom Tancredo versus the forces of Dialogue and Enlightenment. The Daily Tar Heel reports:

“I’m here because I represent UNC-Chapel Hill and I don’t support racism or fascism in the institution in which I am an educator,” graduate student Jason Bowers said…

After Tancredo entered the room, protesters kept him from speaking by shouting insults and holding a sign declaring “no dialogue with hate” in front of his face. Tancredo waited calmly while protestors held the sign and chanted…

After protestors exited the hallway, Tancredo spoke for about two minutes before a protestor outside the building banged on a window, shattering the glass.

Tancredo was escorted out of the room by police after he deemed the situation too volatile, Young said.

The protesters naturally rejoiced after Tanc was silenced, chanting, “We shut him down; no racists in our town” and, more ominously, “Yes, racists, we will fight, we know where you sleep at night!” ALIPAC caught it all on tape: The first clip is of security pepper-spraying people in the hall and the second captures the interruption and broken window that ended the lecture. I’ve been writing posts like this about immigration events on college campuses since HA started; no doubt people will still be writing them decades from now. Content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The first amendment covers government censorship, not censorship by citizens.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 3:29 PM

True, but it is obvious they’re trying to silence any opposition.

F*ck it. I might just drive the Hr and 20 mins to university to go see Tancredo tonight. Maybe some trouble will go down

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Go for it. And take a camera.

Wanting proper organized immigration and control over the border ain’t racist, you dipsh1t college kids.

Tancredo is a bit of an annoying drama queen, but I gotta say it’s hard to argue against calling for control over your own border.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Agreed, surprisingly enough.

Esthier on April 15, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this but in fairness I must give credit where credit is due, I completely agree with you Mr. Rywall.

*falls into state of shock*

Liberty or Death on April 15, 2009 at 3:42 PM

It’s ironic when a leftist brownshirt tries to call a speaker “fascist.”

Sekhmet on April 15, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Idiots…

therightwinger on April 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM

You sound pretty open-minded yourself, grandpa.

capitulus on April 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM

We’re not the party that pretends to be progressive and open minded while shouting down our opponents in order to prevent others from hearing them.

Esthier on April 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Mr. Rywall, I do believe our prods and jabs are pulling the wool from your eyes.

Step forward, and join the conservative movement, my friend!

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Idiots…

therightwinger on April 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM

The fascist left has always relied on useful idiots.

Disturb the Universe on April 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM

wow, compare to the tea parties..

I wonder what will happen when Obama speaks at Notre Dame??

I would stand up and quietly leave the room when he takes the podium.. This would get my point accross without disrupting others..

kringeesmom on April 15, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Does this qualify as “family viewing?” I’d better tune into CNN and find out what to think.

Y-not on April 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I wonder what will happen when Obama speaks at Notre Dame??

kringeesmom on April 15, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but I bet that no one will be allowed to get out of their seats for security reasons.

Y-not on April 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Mr. Rywall, I do believe our prods and jabs are pulling the wool from your eyes….
MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Nah, he is just trying to be able to say he is intellectually consistent when he calls for a border fence between the US and Canada to keep all us ‘Mericans from streaming north and invading canada for jobs after 0bama destroys our economy.
;-)

LegendHasIt on April 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Time after time we see the left liberals, democrats, use violence to shut down free speech.
When will you liberals ever learn, you can’t stop free speech with violence, no matter how much you hate freedom, your threats of death won’t change a thing…except it makes freedom fighters more resolute.
People will die for freedom, and you liberals have shown you are willing to threaten and kill to shut it down.
Yet you “liberals”, embrace this sort of action…threats against a family, attacks against a speaker, will work on some campuses…but eventually someone is going to get hurt, and you liberals are to blame.

right2bright on April 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Because only the most blinded liberal bozos believe that you can shout down freedom…he knows this is a losing battle, and that the liberals look foolish doing it.

right2bright on April 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM

You have got to love these “open minded”, “tolerant”, “inclusive”, and none “hateful” Liberals. Free speech only for those they agree with. By contrast, remember Barney Frank’s childish response to a serious question? At least Frank was allowed to speak. These radical Leftists are also in the White House so look for similar tactics to be used against you and me since we are all potential domestic terrorists.

Blue Collar Todd on April 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Just noticed that the link with my name is wrong. It should take you to http://bluecollarphilosophy.com/

Blue Collar Todd on April 15, 2009 at 4:06 PM

This riot brought to you and sponsored by ACORN.

For when it absolutely, positively must be disrupted by violence, ACORN’s got your back.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM

The first amendment covers government censorship, not censorship by citizens.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 3:29 PM

That is no longer true in our legal system. An individual can specifically be charged with violating your civil and Constitutional rights.

Hawthorne on April 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Well, this certainly isn’t family viewing, is it? CNN? Anyone? Oh…

Mommypundit on April 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM

My beloved UNC is no different than UC-Berkley these days. Liberal whack-jobs everywhere.

uncalheels on April 15, 2009 at 4:58 PM

How long is this going to go on in America? When are police going to start enforcing civil rights laws? Someone should sue these morons for civil rights violations.

Dollayo on April 15, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Dollayo on April 15, 2009 at 5:14 PM

That is for the Courts. Before the Socialist Regime fills them with Partisan Tools that will Legislate from the Bench.
It may take more than Tea Parties it see corrected.

The Founding Fathers forged a Nation with more than Tea Parties. Wait a few more months. Then America may be sadly forced to that point. I hate to see that but tolerance has limits. America put the Morons in charge in the last election.

Whispering the word RESISTANCE will get you on a DHS list these days since we have a Janet there. Be patient. America will come back to their senses soon.

old trooper2 on April 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM

CNN’s kind of people. Scumbags. This is the type of mob rule and bs you see in third world countries.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM

progressives oppose free speech

eh on April 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Where is the big lesbian to take care of this extremist…..

nondhimmie on April 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

The “protesters” value diversity…as long as you think like them.

GarandFan on April 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Piss poor security.

Tancredo stands for the Constitution.

These rabid fools fall for Balkinization.

May they rot in their own anarchistic puke.

profitsbeard on April 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM

1st Every Action done in Company, ought to be with Some Sign of Respect, to those that are Present.

George Washington’s Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior @ Foundations Magazine

This was disrespectful to not only Tancredo but to everyone in the room.

Your right to speech ends when you resort to the destruction of property or to physically preventing my right to speak.

At that point you become a brown shirted thug (yes, I went there, but only to describe the reality).

LifeTrek on April 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM

The past 2 years, left wing pro-illegal immigration rallies had no problem getting permits for demonstrations in front of the Federal bldg. in Reno, NV. Probably at least a few were citizens of another country.

Today’s rally (after the great Tea Party In Carson City) protesting Harry Reid was unable to get permits because no “political” events are allowed. So we will be on the sidewalks, while illegal aliens got permits to be on the lawn, etc.

“Permits? We don’t need no stinkin’ permits.”

fred5678 on April 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM

For once, I agree – where was security?

sethstorm on April 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM

fred5678 on April 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM

With respect to your protest (and not in support of theirs at all), he had more pull.

sethstorm on April 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM

No, you mean Mexico’s kind of people.

CNN has no horse in this race.

sethstorm on April 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I was at a friends house watching the local news here in NC. I saw about three different reports on this protest at UNC. What is telling is in one interview they did with a member of the Democratic Students Union.

I’m going to look for a link to it. But she was asked about the fact that their signs and demonstration disrupted the speakers right to free speech. She said that for the Progressive Movement to keep succeeding, they needed to stop worrying about the “warm feelings” and nice dialog and become even more militant. She said there’s now room within the 1st Amendment for “Hate Speech”.

I guess citing facts about standing immigrations laws are now hate speech. I’ve kidded before, but I am really starting to worry about my liberties. How can you not feel uncomfortable if not outright threatened by lefty opinions like that?

hawkdriver on April 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Frap…

She said there’s no room within the 1st Amendment for “Hate Speech”.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM

It’s like they have one of those ‘nervous mannerisms’ where if they hear a certain sound or word they make strange noises

“pollen”
(stupid noise)

“illegally”
(stupid noise)

Reaps on April 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM

pollen pollen pollen!

Reaps on April 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Gawd, I wish I’d been there.

ex-Democrat on April 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Leftism = hypocrisy, always has, always will.

If they actually enforced laws against infringing on civil rights, would there be a Democrat left in Congress?

Merovign on April 16, 2009 at 12:16 AM

One of the planks in the platform of the GOP in the near future must be to take back our Universities from the left or, if this sort of cra_ is allowed to happen simply pull federal $$ from the University. Its an out-of-control situation and the Rule of Law on our university campus’ must be enforced. Everyone of these idiots should have been expelled with no refund of tuition. DD

Darvin Dowdy on April 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I thought violence was wrong, except when it worked. You hypocrites.

Constant Parrhesia on April 16, 2009 at 9:03 AM

They have a point. No one is an Illegal. Because, humans cannot be sick birds.

MSGTAS on April 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I have to agree with the students; the geographically challenged should not be penalized with a higher tuition bill. They should raise tuition on all in-state students to match those out-of-state. The university can use the additional funds for window repair, extra security, and sensitivity training. Won’t it be nice when everyone pays the same;)

Laura in Maryland on April 16, 2009 at 4:37 PM