Audio: Rick Perry flirts with secession at tea-party presser

posted at 7:40 pm on April 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

I snarked yesterday that the left would get hysterical and treat his statement on the Tenth Amendment as a veiled call for secession, so I’m obliged to eat my words today. Simply awful, whether as a convenient distraction for the media from the tea parties or as a brush for them to tar the protests as motivated by crackpot neo-confederate sentiments. Even Drudge, who’s obviously sympathetic to the rallies, is leading with the story right now. In the red scare font, no less.

Breitbart has the audio if you’re curious, but here’s the gist of it:

Perry called his supporters patriots. Later, answering news reporters’ questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

“There’s a lot of different scenarios,” Perry said. “We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we’re a pretty independent lot to boot.”

He said when Texas entered the union in 1845 it was with the understanding it could pull out. However, according to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Texas negotiated the power to divide into four additional states at some point if it wanted to but not the right to secede.

Texas did secede in 1861, but the North’s victory in the Civil War put an end to that.

What a treat to see some on the right pulling the same whiny, anti-democratic crap that the left pulled under Bush. I can only assume this means that I was wrong about Perry’s 2012 aspirations and that he’s not planning to run, as the thought of a secessionist presidential candidate would be rather highly nuanced indeed. Exit question: Chuck Norris for Texas president?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

I’m moving to Texas!

jencab on April 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

The proper statement is, “You all can go to hell; I’m going to Texas.”

otcconan on April 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Obama just overturned welfare reform forced on Clinton by the GOP in the 90′s. Sure there are Republican voters on welfare but the number of Democrat voters on welfare and all government subsidies is far higher. Why is this even being debated? It’s a fact that’s not even discussed anymore because it’s indisputable.

DerKrieger on April 15, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Judging by the comments here it appears that David Frum is, well, totally right. That’s pretty freaking sad.

packsoldier on April 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Well, no matter what else Texas’ secession might do, it would shake the Obama administration to it’s core–and that ain’t so bad, is it!

jeanie on April 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Texas is not seceding. You have lot of riled up conservatives right now, and Rick Perry is realizing that and throwing you a little red meat in the hopes that you get behind his 2012 election campaign.

That says an awful lot about Rick Perry, and none of it’s good.

Let’s just hope no one takes him too seriously, you know?

Proud Rino on April 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Thank you for your service.

This makes me sadder, by the way, that you feel the way you do.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I don’t know why you feel that way. I served for 24 years because I believe in freedom and the American way. I did not serve a scrap of cloth. I did not serve acre of land. I didn’t serve a personality or political party. My service was dedicated to the ideals of FREEDOM. When the US turns it’s back on those ideals – I will not. That puts me at odds with the scrap of cloth. That puts me at odds with an acre of land. That puts me at odds with personalities and political parties.

BUT IT DOES NOT PUT ME AT ODDS WITH THOMAS JEFFERSON OR ANY OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS!

I didn’t say that I support secession – I don’t. What I AM saying is that those who are speculating and talking about it – are not nut jobs.

And I’m also saying that – I’m just frankly out of ideas for how to get this country back to the principles it was founded upon. You know – the founders DID insert methods for changing our Constitution – but the liberals, led by Obama refuse to use the legal methods.

If someone has other ideas to save this show – I’m all ears. But right now I see Obama rigging the system and the press going right along with it. We cannot win against this kind of opposition – an opposition that is willing to break the rules.

But I’m all ears you know.

This is the part where someone on HOTAIR stands up and says “THE REPUBLICANS WILL MAKE A COMEBACK! JUST WAIT!”

Uhm … right.

HondaV65 on April 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM

The current government of the United States has a base who can’t stomach fighting murderous neanderthals. How the hell are they going to stomach forming a line along the Red River? Nope, war is not on the horizon. Texans (South Carolinians and more) aren’t looking to expand. We’ll just stay home. It’s the Yankees who’ll have to come root us out. How many sons and daughters are Boxer, Pelosi, Murtha, and Kerry willing to send to do that?

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Oh God yes I’m glad. The thought of all you clowns with English accents is unbearable.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Mr. Rywall you are a discredit to your otherwise fine and proud nation. I’ve known and worked with many Canadians. Visited many times as well. Every single Canadian I’ve ever met has always been respectful and friendly regardless of where they stand vis-a-vis US politics. And actually, the vast majority of them have been more open-minded than you as well.

Oh, and they also have a much better sense of humor than you.

It’s too bad you are one of the few that frequents this board. A real shame.

And the people who call you “Drywall” are very unfair and wrong-headed-as drywall is a very good and useful item. You most certainly are not.

Dreadnought on April 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM

You didn’t mention Corpus Christi. Sparkling City by the Bay. We have lots of sun, lots of endless beach where you can still drive your car, awesome fishing, even better hunting, great wind

Especially around September and August.

otcconan on April 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Why is this bothering the trolls so much? You’d think they’d be glad to have a few less conservatives in the country. Instead they keep denying it or insisting it can’t happen it. Don’t know why–it seems perfectly plausible to me if enough Texans want it.

jeanie on April 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Many believe that the states have the right to secede but Lincoln and the SCOTUS (IIRC) put an end to that.
If you have any information about Texas still having these special privileges, (other than the 5 state division clause) please share.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 200

Secession isn’t really about privileges or even legalities, it is or would be an act of will. Many would call it treason but the inalienable right to form a more perfect union exists today as it did in 1776 and so treason is only a matter of context. If there were a secession by Texas I would certainly want to live within its borders as I know the new country would be one of liberty, a type of freedom we no longer enjoy in the United States.

I’m glad Gov. Perry said what he did.

JonPrichard on April 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Yes he is, and that’s why his approval ratings are starting to come down. Give him time and they will truly take a nosedive-as long as the right is smart.

We agree.

Really? There were hundreds of thousands, maybe millions in the streets of our country today. The dissatisfaction is starting to show at the ballot box (NY 20), in the polls (generic congressional Republicans are in pulling even in some polls), and in the aforementioned streets.

I intended that to be no resistance from politicians. I agree, the turnout for the tea parties is awesome.

You’re like the fan of a powerhouse football team that is down by a field goal and is ready to have your team forfeit and go home. Ridiculous.

Sorry you think that way. I am not trying to come across that way and that is not the way I think and feel. I am far from being a quitter. Your presumption that I am is what is ridiculous. If you truly understood my intentions you would see that, and it may be my fault for not expressing that better.

there are better, smarter ways to draw a line.

Once again, you like others are blowing his words way out of proportion. He was speaking at a tea party. Context, my friend. Any politician is going to speak notably different when surrounded by thousands of his fellow partisans.

More talk like this will be the spark that starts the fire that will burn down the building that is the conservative movement.

Again, you are taking what I wrote and misinterpreting. Don’t confuse my analogy with reality; I am in no way, shape or form suggesting that this is to be a literal fire. My intent was to relate how no other politicians are standing up to the disaster-in-progress that is the Obama administration. Perry has made his stance; this will make it easier for the other Republican and Blue Dog Democrats to follow suit. I am in no way trying to find my way on the DHS enemies list.

This is a Center-Right Country. Step back and take a deep breath. Those of us in the blue states need Texans like you on our side if we’re going to take back this country. Don’t let us down.

Of course it is. I am fine and do not need to take a step back. I appreciate your concern though.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Here, here! Ave and salute!

JonPrichard on April 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Those who endorse secession (from either side) have forever forfeited the moral high ground from which to question their opponents’ patriotism.

packsoldier on April 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Thanks for that link!

Bruno Strozek on April 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Texas, get out while you still can!!!

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Rick Perry is retarded. And has never been accused of being a fiscal conservative either.

bingsha on April 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

And what exactly is wrong with secession? I think there are better alternatives, like taking our country back from leftists monsters. However, secession was a permissible act in the minds of the nations founders – otherwise why write such actions into their respective state constitutions? Honestly, if we become as bad as Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia you’d have a problem becoming a citizen of the Republic of Texas? I have no wish to die in an Obama gulag, and Texas has better winters than Chicago. AP, you seem to think this is all a ploy. I seem to think Perry is just really pissed off like the rest of us. Time will tell my friend.

chicagojedi on April 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I’m glad Gov. Perry said what he did.

JonPrichard on April 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Thank you for your information, and I am glad as well.
Those who see this as a hint of secession are wrong.
It takes a Texan to understand.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

packsoldier on April 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Well said.

Proud Rino on April 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM

packsoldier on April 15, 2009

To your mind, is there any scenario whatsoever where secession is the right thing to do?

Patriotism is best exemplified by a firm belief in the ideals of America and the Constitution on which she was founded. If those ideals are torn asunder and the Constitution replaced by powerful interests, in essence, what is the remedy if not secession?

JonPrichard on April 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for that link!

Bruno Strozek on April 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

You’re welcome!

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Limerick @ 10:19

Now THAT is the truth! Absolutely, hysterically funny, and true!

We weren’t born in Texas, but we’re ever so grateful that we’re here now.

obladioblada on April 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Yeah…the moral high ground. Moral how? You wrap a turd in a tortilla it’s still a turd. If the government abandons the Constitution that fellas and gals like me swore to uphold and defend then we are supposed to eat that tortilla?
I’ll pass.

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Other states entered into the Union by organizing federal land. So they, in a manner of speaking, are just reorganized with the benefit of representation.

Not Texas. We were ANNEXED.

otcconan on April 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Okay. Let’s not get crazy. He was throwing a little red meat at the people attending the tea party. He didn’t say that Texas would (or should) secede, but rather, it was an option if Washington did not stop with its craziness.

Don’t make more out of this….

RedSoxNation on April 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Those of you who are not in Texas should understand that by mentioning this Perry is simply referring to a common topic of conversation in Texas. Not a day goes by – literally – that I don’t hear someone talk about secession. Nearly every adult member of my family in Texas supports secession. Among the people with whom I work; highly paid, well educated professionals, a solid majority would consider secession a reasonable course of action. For Perry to not acknowledge that there is a lot of this talk going on would be pandering to people who don’t live here. From a Texan perspective he is taking a middle of the road position – not actively in favor but expressing his understanding of why it is a popular position with a significant proportion of the people he serves.

As for me, I’m not sure how I feel about it, but if Texas were to go, I’d stay with Texas.

jl on April 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM

They want a larger government because they’re lazy sheep who can’t think for themselves and can barely lift themselves out of their barcaloungers for long enough to vote.

We’re not.

Don’t throw away what can be fixed.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Maybe you should’ve said “Barack-a-loungers”.

FishFearMe on April 15, 2009 at 10:43 PM

jl on April 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Well said.

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I’d pick the Republic of Texas over the USSA any day of the week. Still, I want the USA to work and I hope 2 years and 4 years from now my faith in America is renewed. But, if we are on the road to tyranny and we have a DHS pushing our buttons, treating good Americans as the enemy, then what recourse do we have? ESPECIALLY here in Texas?

James on April 15, 2009 at 10:45 PM

+1 !!!

GregoryNeilSmith on April 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Wrong AP…Perry for President!!!

aigle on April 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM

If America becomes socialist what’s immoral about leaving exactly? Seems to me if things get bad enough it would be immoral NOT to secede. Just saying.

Newagegop on April 15, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Join the Line

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Ahhh…there’s nothing better than the smell of Texas in the morning.

if you’ve ever lived here and stayed here, or better yet, if you were born here, you understand it. there is just something special about this state and the way of life here.

AP…you wouldn’t understand, it’s a TEXAS thang!

sandlin71 on April 15, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Listen up northerners we accept that to secede over slavery was wrong…fine you won that one. To secede over freedom, however…well the south has less problems with that than you might realize.

Newagegop on April 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM

How many people will be crossing the Red River to get in if it happens?

Be_Aware on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

A whole lotta people would kill to join a seceding Texas.

Sapwolf on April 15, 2009 at 11:08 PM

If you ask me the ‘moral high ground’ is a platform from which to denigrate anyone who doesn’t see it your way. It has a strong tendency to vary to fit the speakers point of view. In short: there’s no such thing.

jeanie on April 15, 2009 at 11:12 PM

For my fellow Texans. God bless Texas!

FishFearMe on April 15, 2009 at 11:13 PM

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Thomas Jefferson on July 1, 1776

Chaz706 on April 15, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Our Sarah really knows how to pic’em.

Perry is probably doin some state-level politicking, but it is refreshing to finally hear the word “secession” out loud.

It’s on. (well, not quite, but we’ll get there soon)

Sapwolf on April 15, 2009 at 11:16 PM

From Merriam Webster:

se·ces·sion
Pronunciation: \si-ˈse-shən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin secession-, secessio, from secedere
Date: 1604
1 : withdrawal into privacy or solitude : retirement
2 : formal withdrawal from an organization

Also from the same Webster:

trea·son
Pronunciation: \ˈtrē-zən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English tresoun, from Anglo-French traisun, from Latin tradition-, traditio act of handing over, from tradere to hand over, betray — more at traitor
Date: 13th century
1 : the betrayal of a trust : treachery
2 : the offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance or to kill or personally injure the sovereign or the sovereign’s family

Believe it or not, there is a difference. Secession does not mean treason. Only in the minds of people who think that secession ALWAYS means an over throw or act of violence.

I’m not advocating secession, and I would hate to make the choice of Texas or the U.S. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t though.

john1schn on April 15, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Secession? That’d be treason.

Next.

Independence? That was treason. Didn’t deter Jefferson, Madison, et. al. Shouldn’t deter us. I’d rather hang by my neck than have my freedom taken.

Next.

otcconan on April 15, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Texans won’t stand for this.

smfoushee on April 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Good post. He’s just letting DC know we have a limit.

Sapwolf on April 15, 2009 at 11:21 PM

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. –That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. —Such has been the patient sufferance of Texas; and such is now the necessity which constrains Texas to alter their former System of Government. The history of the present President [Barak Obama] is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over this State.

LCL4 on April 15, 2009 at 11:22 PM

packsoldier on April 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM

As a general rule, Jewish Neocon David Frum has never been right, and never will be.

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 11:23 PM

jl on April 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I would too, and I’m from the SF Bay Area but live in Ohio now.

Sapwolf on April 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Well secession would at least solve one big problem, getting the Rangers into the World Series. Now they might have a chance playing Arlington and Midland for the title.

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I won a bet with my wife today. I bet her that if Obama continued the dangerous trend of massive bailouts that we would see the rumblings of bonafide secession movements here in the U.S. within two years.

Isn’t it funny how we fought the Civil War over (amongst other things) the enslavement of black people, and in the present day a black man is leading the way back into slavery for all? A Second Civil War over the erosion of liberty would favor those doing the seceding.

We seceded from Britain over what today would be considered a paltry stamp tax. The tax burden placed on today’s citizens would have been enough to start a hundred Revolutionary Wars.

I see today’s climate as an interesting combination of the days before the Great Depression (where a downturn in the economy prompted the federal government to promote illegal power over the states and the people) and the Revolutionary War (except in this case we are dealing with 535 King George IIIs instead of one).

TheMightyMonarch on April 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM

How many people will be crossing the Red River to get in if it happens?

Be_Aware on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Don’t worry, there will be plenty of places to go. If Texas were to ever pull the trigger I would expect to see Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and possibly Louisiana to follow suit.

California would be quite messy, however. Once you go east of the I-5 or north of Sacramento it’s quite a different state.

TheMightyMonarch on April 15, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Awful? Sounds very sensible to me.

Daggett on April 15, 2009 at 11:36 PM

If Texas were to secede, they should have a few nukes handie.

Having nukes makes other countries respect you to a certain extent. Why would Iran want them so bad? They are power projectors.

Nobody will mess with a nuke-armed Texas. It is a deterrant.

Sapwolf on April 15, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 11:28 PM

LOL
I’m afraid the Rangers would still be SOOL (Sh1t out of luck). They always seem to find a way to lose.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM

jeanie on April 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Nope. AND, it would be WAY fun.

Sapwolf on April 15, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Nobody will mess with a nuke-armed Texas. It is a deterrant.

Sapwolf on April 15, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Yeah, not many of our Yankee friends realize just what they make in San Antonio these days. Rocket thingys too, and radar thingys. What they don’t know won’t hurt them.

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM

And the chemical weapons manufacturing at Mi Tierra is a sight to behold.

john1schn on April 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Don’t tell them about the F22s, F35s and Ospreys either.

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM

G’Nite all you red white and blue Texans. 4am wake up call to send evil gasoline tankers down a highway near you.

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with what Gov. Perry said. If the people of Texas vote to leave the Union they should be able to do so.

I am not saying I want this, but I do believe in state rights.

Borislav on April 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Somebody above said that if TX leaves, other southern states might follow. Now, I love Savannah, if Georgia leaves I would be right tempted to move there. Can you imagine it–the re-birth of the CSA(and, I’m a northerner, so don’t lump us all together please).

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM

And very good tortillas and salsa.

Johan Klaus on April 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM

I cant stand Chuck Norris. He is like Arnold Schazzerrdorkerner. That guy just plain sucks.

He is a horrible actor and thinks,therefore, hey, I can run a state or a country. what a douche. just like ahnold.

and dont give me this ronald reagan crap. he had a ton of experience before he became governor let alone potus.

guys who are so stupid as chick norris ruin the party. shut the f up, dumbass. go play phony kung fu games or whatever.

The Wall on April 16, 2009 at 12:15 AM

The Wall on April 16, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Was this thread about Chuck Norris?

Johan Klaus on April 16, 2009 at 12:17 AM

The Wall on April 16, 2009 at 12:15 AM

BLASPHEMER! Go find Malachi!

No Norris Derangement Syndrome allowed around here! This here thread’s about seceding from the Union!

God bless Texas and Chuck Norris

john1schn on April 16, 2009 at 12:22 AM

If those states listed above all left, that would leave Florida isolated and alone surrounded by alligators, sharks and redneck extremists. They’d have no choice but to become friends with Cuba.

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM

The Panhandle of FL woudl join us. Orlando too. Enjoy Miami and Tony Montana.

john1schn on April 16, 2009 at 12:25 AM

john1schn on April 16, 2009 at 12:25 AM

All well and good but having part of a state secede would be harder than a whole state leaving(I have trouble spelling the sec. word so ignore it altogether). And, what about Key West and the rest of the Keys–it would be shame to lose them they have great rum cokes.

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

And this is why most of us in Texas roll our eyes about Gov. Perry. All hat and no cattle, and in this case the hat is Yosemite Sam extreme.
TX Mom on April 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Not true TX Mom. Maybe you and your buddies feel that way, but I love Rick Perry and know many Texans that do as well. I guess you’d rather have Kay Bailey RINO as your Gov. If Texas divides in the Gubernatorial Primary, the Dems are going take the Governorship back from the Repubs, cuz all these immigrants coming in are getting freebies from Obama, and they are going to vote for the Dems if we are divided. Be careful what you wish for.

Susanboo on April 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Secession is a weaselly word. Call it what it is: revolution. As in, there would be a war, brother against brother and all that. Rick Perry has too much responsibility to be talking about it so lightly.

The country needs a sober opposition to Obama right now. This crap is not helping.

RightOFLeft on April 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Susanboo on April 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Be careful what you wish for–is that ever true. Just ask those of us in NH what happened when folks from MA discovered our low tax state, decided to come here and are in the process of making it MA north.Ask old time VTers what happened when New Yorkers piled in there and bought retirement homes and gentleman’s farms. turned it tino one of the highest taxed states in the country.

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Perry may be a bid misguided at times, and sometimes his judgment ain’t the best, but he’s light years better than the alternatives out there.

I didn’t vote for him in the last election, but the way it’s shaping up, unless the dems run a real Texan (i.e., not a wuss)I will this time.

john1schn on April 16, 2009 at 12:35 AM

RightOFLeft on April 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Do you even know what it means? Secession need not be bloody or revolution, but our founding fathers cut their teeth in revolution. Why would you be afraid to take back your freedom?

john1schn on April 16, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Limerick on April 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM

And do not forget Shiner beer.

Johan Klaus on April 16, 2009 at 12:39 AM

RightOFLeft on April 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM

It’s only revolution if one or the other side tries to make it so. Otherwise, each ‘sovereign’ nation could go it’s own way. I bet we’d all get along much better. Now that remark ought to set Homeland Sec’s heart to pounding!

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Allah, you cannot compare what the Left did when Bush was in office to what is happening now. Conservatives are riled up b/c O is actively trying to shred the Constitution; the Left was riled up b/c they pretended Bush was. The Left might’ve claimed that something Bush was doing was “unconstitutional” but they wouldn’t know the Constitution if it bit them in the butt. Conservatives on the other hand have actually read the document so we know “unconstitutional” when we see it and O is truly trampling on it. There is NO moral equivalancy btw the two groups. None. at. all.
-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 16, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Aslans Girl on April 16, 2009 at 12:44 AM

That raises still another problem. Who gets to keep the Constitution? Only the document of course, no one wants DC–in fact, forcing someone to keep DC might ignite a revolution.

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Awful? That is freakin’ AWESOME!

Tim Burton on April 16, 2009 at 12:48 AM

john1schn on April 16, 2009 at 12:38 AM

There would be bloodshed. What percentage of Texans would have to oppose secession to compel The United States of America to fight to restore their homeland? 10%?

This is all in the extreme hypothetical, of course. As disastrous as some of Obama’s agenda will be (and already has been), we’ve weathered worse with our freedom and prosperity intact.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

These are the specific conditions necessary for revolution. If that happens, let me know and we’ll kick things off with a real tea party.

RightOFLeft on April 16, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Well this is lovely. It’s bad enough living in Austin, driving downtown everyday, and seeing all the damn Obama bumper stickers, usually right next to the crossed-out “W” sticker. Now the libs can add another one mocking Perry I suppose.

Yeah, yeah we Texans like our independence and occasionally mention secession, but it’s always tongue-in-cheek. Can’t say I’ve ever heard a Governor actually talk about it. Sounds like Perry was channeling Clayton Williams. I know Perry’s an Aggie, but that’s no excuse.

Erich66 on April 16, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Let’s see…Texas is the 15th largest economy in the world, they created the most jobs in the US last year, they have their own electrical grid, they have more Fortune 500 company headquarters than anywhere else in the world, they have no state income tax, they have their own oil and gas, and they were an independent nation before they were a state. Hmmmm, secession starts to sound better and better. They’ll just lower their corporate tax rate to Switzerland’s level and shovel in the money. They’ll sell oil and gas to California and shovel in even more money. That phrase used by the Texas Tourism guys starts to sound more and more interesting: “Texas…It’s like a whole other country”.

gordo on April 16, 2009 at 12:56 AM

What exactly is wrong with a state or states leaving the USofA if that country becomes unrecognizable as the country we know and love? Many of you keep saying what a disaster it would be, but you never say WHY!

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I think it just says that he’s an idiot who needs to step back and take a few deep breaths.

Good Lt on April 15, 2009 at 9:50 PM

A post of great irony if ever one there was.

Blacklake on April 16, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Erich66, I’m a native Austinite. We gotta get together. That Aggie joke cracked me up! Perry is kind of a doofus, but he did write that great book about the Scouts. I’ll probably end up voting for Kinky Friedman again. My cousin helped run his campaign in Ft Worth. Life in the People’s Democratic Republic of East Germany Austin.

gordo on April 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Jeanie, IMHO, you provide the answer: because we know and love the good old USA. If the country becomes unrecognizable, you do what you can to build it back the way it was. But clearly it will remain unrecognizable if states decided to split off.

Erich66 on April 16, 2009 at 1:05 AM

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:57 AM

It can’t just be that the country has become unrecognizable, it has to be that our democratic institutions have failed and there’s no other recourse for restoring them. I realize that a lot of people are just talking about it symbolically, just blowing off some steam, but it’s unbecoming for someone in a position of authority like Rick Perry to be taking our nation’s heritage so lightly.

RightOFLeft on April 16, 2009 at 1:07 AM

I heard Perry and I know my family isn’t alone in stocking up on goods to last months. Praying that 2010 & 2012 save the country, but we’ve decided to be prepared as well.

on fire on April 16, 2009 at 1:08 AM

gordo on April 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Back at ya Gordo. Yeah the more I listen to Kinky, the more reasonable he sounds. I don’t agree with him on everything, but as the bumper sticker says, why the hell not? I couldn’t resist an Aggie jab; my nephew wouldn’t like it, but he’s not in the Corp so he wouldn’t foam at the mouth or anything.

Erich66 on April 16, 2009 at 1:13 AM

RightOFLeft on April 16, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Well stated!

Erich66 on April 16, 2009 at 1:16 AM

‘Unrecognizable’ and ‘no other recourse’ are pretty subjective and in the eye of the beholder so to speak. Living in a state where you are rapidly becoming dis-enfranchised or have become so with little or no hope of change gives rather a heavier weight to ‘no other recourse’. Now that has not happened(yet)in Texas apparently. Let me know your point of view when it does.

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Anyone advocating a splitting of our great Union is a traitor and should be dealt with accordingly.

e-pirate on April 16, 2009 at 1:21 AM

An

e-pirate on April 16, 2009 at 1:21 AM

That’s what the British said about the first Tea Party–funniest thing!

Jenfidel on April 16, 2009 at 1:23 AM

gordo on April 16, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Oh, yeah! Preach it, Brother gordo!

Jenfidel on April 16, 2009 at 1:31 AM

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Yeah how pathetic is that in NH. All those morons from MA flee their tax rittled state, only to slowly turn NH into something similar? I am surprised I have not heard more of an outcry from angry NH natives. Something like, “hey morons, take your slash and burn flight elsewhere. don’t you ever learn?”

VT is a bit of a different situation. Rich New Yorkers buy up land and make it their primary residence and all those stoned college kids in Burlington vote in socialists. Vermont has been completely destroyed.

In fact, liberals spread like a pandemic. They have destroyed their own states and are now moving south and west. Northern Virginia is almost completely blue, Colorado is getting flooded with California libs and Florida is in a constant battle to stay red. Yet they keep voting the same boneheads in office, I don’t get it.

Daemonocracy on April 16, 2009 at 1:35 AM

jeanie on April 16, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Jeanie, I imagine that will happen here when demonstrable evidence is presented proving conclusively that Alex Jones really hasn’t been smoking crack after all.

Erich66 on April 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM

You guys are pathetic. If a state did leave the Union I’d be there in a minute. Remember fish rots from the head down.

hestrold on April 16, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Fellow citizens and compatriots;
I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continual Bombardment and cannonade for 24 hours and have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily and will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country. Victory or Death.
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col. Comdt.

gordo on April 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Couldn’t resist posting the letter from Colonel Travis requesting help at the Alamo. I still mist up when I read it and it speaks loudly through the years what it is like to defend your country.

gordo on April 16, 2009 at 1:57 AM

We in Texas value our state on at least equal terms with our American citizenship. All school students are required to take Texas History, in addition for US History. Students also daily recite the Texas Pledge of Allegiance, in addition to the American pledge. Also, we Texans refuse to fly our flag beneath the American flag. It is flown on a second flagpole which is at the same height as the American flag. On March 2, Texas Independence Day, Texas flags are flown everywhere.

A substantial percentage of Texans would be happy to become independent of the US again. I doubt it’s a majority, yet, but it’s not just a small group of crackpots.

That said, I’m suspicious of Rick Perry. He isn’t exactly popular with conservatives here in Texas, especially for his cheerleading for the “Trans-Texas corridor”. He will be challenged for governor by notable RINO and dimwit, Kay Bailey Hutchison, and I suspect his statements over the last week are intended to shore up his conservative base.

Our three elected statewide “leaders” are nitwit Kay, Trans-Texas Rick, and Arlen-Specter-supporting John Cornyn. Quitting the US will get rid of 2 of those worthless individuals, and electing Chuck Norris president will solve problem number 3.

Phildorex on April 16, 2009 at 2:47 AM

That was a call for succession? Give us a break! AP hates republicans and any pol not from the northeast. You should just join the democrats and let those of us who want the party to succeed be.

Blake on April 16, 2009 at 4:11 AM