Audio: Rick Perry flirts with secession at tea-party presser

posted at 7:40 pm on April 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

I snarked yesterday that the left would get hysterical and treat his statement on the Tenth Amendment as a veiled call for secession, so I’m obliged to eat my words today. Simply awful, whether as a convenient distraction for the media from the tea parties or as a brush for them to tar the protests as motivated by crackpot neo-confederate sentiments. Even Drudge, who’s obviously sympathetic to the rallies, is leading with the story right now. In the red scare font, no less.

Breitbart has the audio if you’re curious, but here’s the gist of it:

Perry called his supporters patriots. Later, answering news reporters’ questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

“There’s a lot of different scenarios,” Perry said. “We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we’re a pretty independent lot to boot.”

He said when Texas entered the union in 1845 it was with the understanding it could pull out. However, according to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Texas negotiated the power to divide into four additional states at some point if it wanted to but not the right to secede.

Texas did secede in 1861, but the North’s victory in the Civil War put an end to that.

What a treat to see some on the right pulling the same whiny, anti-democratic crap that the left pulled under Bush. I can only assume this means that I was wrong about Perry’s 2012 aspirations and that he’s not planning to run, as the thought of a secessionist presidential candidate would be rather highly nuanced indeed. Exit question: Chuck Norris for Texas president?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

Really? OK. Cuz I thought executing mentally retarded people (or anybody really) is offensive. But to each his own.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Not if they’ve been proven guilty of multiple murders in a court of law.

Tell the families and loved ones of their murder victims that executing them is “offensive.”

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 8:15 PM

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Did you support Bill Clinton?

KittyLowrey on April 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM

pullingmyhairout,
I live not too far from CC. Nice to see someone else near.
L

letget on April 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I went to the Tea Party by the Bay today. There were probably close to 2000 people there. I suspect it was most of the tax base. :) Seriously, I don’t know about you, but I find some people’s disdain for Texans and All Things Texan offensive.

There is an extreme amount of pride that Texans have – unlike the pride that say, people from New York or LA have. You have to live here, breathe here and be born here to understand it.

I can’t in my wildest dreams imagine living anywhere else, and I’ve been a lot of places. Texas is home.

Allahpundit, I usually take your side, but in this case I believe you are way off base to mock us. We take our patriotism very seriously down here. Maybe you’d understand that if you would visit and stay awhile.

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Awful?

No. Why shouldn’t a state reserve the right to secede under fair pretenses? We’re not talking about slavery being the issue. If Texas secedes, I’ll move there.

John_Locke on April 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM

This is only awful if you live in New York City and succession means you will be cut off from the sane people in Texas for good. Besides, New Yorkers should need a passport to travel to Texas. Just to keep tabs on them.

keep the change on April 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

We know what you mean, douche. Executing criminals that are convicted in a court of law is not offensive. It is justice.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I think Allah is reading a bit much into this. Perry has no more intention of leaving the union than all those Democrats did in 2004 when they threatened to emigrate.

Terrye on April 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I wouldn’t be so sure; Ogabe has gotten pretty scary and in just 3 months.
Something’s gotta give and I don’t think it will be Texas or Texans!

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I want my state to secede. Liberals can have their own country and we can have ours. Win Win for everybody.

jdun on April 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM

ses:

I was not glad when the Towers came down, but I do remember Michael Moore saying they should have attacked Dallas, that is where the Republicans were. So far as I know, that attitude did not in anyway hurt him with liberals. No boycotts, no moral outrage…just a chuckle.

Terrye on April 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Tell that to the victim’s family.

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I would put big money on the success of Texas if they seceded from the Union. Lower taxes coupled with personal freedom and small government would not only attract a lot of people to move to Texas but it would also attract new businesses as well. Who knows..I might be moving to Texas if the beasts in the Fed keep going down this current road.

smartsy on April 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Awful

It could turn out that way, or I could have a place to live w/out a crushing Federal government.

If a movement like this gets serious, I’m moving.

Does anyone think the Federal government is going to stop growing? Does anyone think that once Obama has ~50% of the country not paying income taxes, we’ll ever see a tax reform? What about entitlement reform? That’s ~60 trillion we’re on the hook for, and that’s w/out Obama’s new programs.

I want out.

toliver on April 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Isn’t there a clause in the Texas constitution (circa the 1800’s) that allows Texas to dissolve itself into a half dozen independent states? Any Texans out there who can shed a little light on this for me?
Thanks!

I am re-posting this because I was hoping someone out there in the Hot Air blogosphere knows the answer.

This is a serious question. (not a troll) I remember reading about this a number of years ago, but I can’t remember the details.

Thanks!

Bruno Strozek on April 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Jenfidel:

There are elections, that is what they are for. Perry is not going to do this, he could not even get it done in that state. It is not as if he is the King of Texas or something.

Terrye on April 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM

If things don’t go well in the mid-term and 2012 elections(from a conservative’s perspective), my family will be moving to Texas or some other fiscally conservative state that’s more in line with my philosophical beliefs. If things get worse in this country, which many believe is inevitable, I’d like to be around people that have like-minded views. Tough to say what the future will bring. I’m still hopeful. For now.

the_stoics on April 15, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Indeed. There is a significant number of historians that argue today that federalism, as our founding fathers knew it, actually ended with Lincoln’s prosecution of the civil war.

They would be wrong, of course. And one need not look beyond the founding fathers to recognize that fact.

Only 9 of 13 states needed to ratify the Constitution for the Constitution to be made binding for all 13 states. That means 4 states could think the Constitution could be the worst-thing-ever and it wouldn’t matter. Did they have the power to do that? It became functionally irrelevant when all the states signed it and that is now the understanding formed. That the collective will of the states > then the individual states. Hence the need to be deliberate about where the aggregated power could be used. Limiting the scope of the federal government, in other words.

Other states entered into the Union by organizing federal land. So they, in a manner of speaking, are just reorganized with the benefit of representation.

Succession is a false word, imo. If a state were to attempt to attempt succession, it would be more accurately, a war of independence.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

toliver:

Fine, don’t let the door hit you in the a** on your way out honey.

Terrye on April 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

John_Locke on April 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Yes, it’s awful:
1) secession will never happen
2) this talk will drive centrists away from the GOP
3) this gives legitimacy to leftists who want to split over gay marriage & crap like that

jgapinoy on April 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

There is only ONE big problem with Texas. Illegal aliens. They have taken over southern Texas, the valley, and they are in the sanctuary cities of San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and Austin to name a few. This is a problem because with the amount of children the illegals are having, Texas has a very good chance of one day being a blue state.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

ap,
don’t let liberals bring down todays extraordinary success.

rob verdi on April 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Newsflash Allah … $18T dollars in debt in 10 years. Social Security Surplus GONE. Government running financial institutions and automobile industry … soon to be running others. 35 Million illegal aliens to get amnesty SOON (almost all will immediately qualify for welfare). Nationalized Healthcare coming soon (how much does that add to the debt?). Obama has already created an militant arm of the Obama Revolution (ACORN) – and blatantly funded that arm in the porkulous (didn’t even try to hide it). Now those Red Guards are out terrorizing executives and infiltrating TEA parties. DHS has labeled conservative views as “right wing extremism”.

Dude – if you still think this game can be saved by “polite” democratic means – please give me some of that sumptuous weed you are smoking … I need some about now.

Rick Perry is dead on and he expresses the sentiments of a lot of us down here in the South and, I would say – in a lot of the United States. Secession is NOT a nut-case position. The States empowered the Federal Government to follow the Constitution and assume certain powers – and denied it certain others. The Federal government has overstepped it’s boundaries. It will continue to overstep.

The States who empowered the Federal government have every right to withdraw their support from it – if they deem it necessary and in their best interests after all other attempts to reign in the government have failed. And they ARE failing.

Instead of branding succession talk as “nutty” – why don’t you articulate your point a bit?

HondaV65 on April 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Tell that to the victim’s family.

I’d have no problem doing that. Anyway, that’s not the topic. So contrary to popular belief, I don’t want to “hijack” the thread.

What Perry said isn’t likely to be big news. Most people will dismiss it.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Will you Texicans let apply for citizenship? Leave Ohio and come on in?

Benjamin9 on April 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

you must have been glad when the towers came down.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I live in Dallas: on the night of 9/11, my husband and I went downtown to the sports arena to give blood to the survivors of the attacks–there were hundreds of people there doing the same thing.
And Texas firefighters went to Ground Zero to join their brothers on the NYFD to work on The Pile, so…….
SHUT. UP.

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Then quit flame throwing.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM

In any event, whatever his goals, they required the formation of a new party (The Republican Party) to acheive them.

That’s false too. He was a darkhorse that came into prominence by compromise; the party wasn’t built around him. He may have joined the party because he shared their values, but it didn’t form to achieve his personal goals.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

you must have been glad when the towers came down.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM

SHUT. UP.

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

SECONDED.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Some others might recognize this but ” You might give some serious thought to thanking your lucky stars you’re in Texas”
I do, everyday.

JackS on April 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Yall Yankees move on down here. Yall call it southern hospitality.. we call it target practice :)

GoodBoy on April 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Unlike in 1861, this president will not send troops to fight a civil war with Texas. If Texas wants to secede, nothing can stop them.

keep the change on April 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

He’s better off staying at home executing mentally retarded people or whatever is the favorite past time of Texans these days.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Mr. Russia-man, I dare you to come to Texas and say something like that. I double-dog dare you. We are a friendly people but you would get your pink a$$ beat in a Moscow minute.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM

outOfElement on April 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM

The RINOs are scared of any state asserting their independence because they might do a more efficient job of controlling the border than with the Feds as supreme authority. Then there would be no more Hispanics for the GOP to pander.

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM

2) this talk will drive centrists away from the GOP

jgapinoy on April 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Yeah those Centrists sure don’t mind what the totally calm, civil, decorous Democrats say. The harsh, hateful, brittle GOP better watch out!

VinceP1974 on April 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Corpus Christi, San Antonio…I wouldn’t be able to make up my mind, either. I love both cities. Would move to either one in a second.

uncivilized on April 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Governor Perry Calls FEMA To Assist With Wildfires
Governor Perry Calls For 1,000 Troops To Be Sent To Border
Governor Perry Requests 18 Month Extension Of Federal Aid For Ike Debris Removal

nuance.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Down payment on the return of the funds we have continually sent to Washington DC.

Texas. It’s not just a state. It’s a state of mind.

john1schn on April 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Then there would be no more Hispanics for the GOP to pander.

Wow.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM

YOU GO RICK PERRY. I love this guy. He has always defended Governor Palin too.

ousoonerfan15 on April 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM

What it’s coming too eventually, as best I can see, is a choice between secession and another civil war.

If you love peace, opt for secession to save us from war.

petefrt on April 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Bruno Strozek on April 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Yes, it is true.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Though I’m not so sure the two situations are comparable. The USA is in the midst of an unprecedented transfer of power to the Govt. First the nationalization of huge swaths of the economy, now Napolitano will be policing opposition political activities. This is not country I was born in. Secession seems far fetched true but I wonder if perhaps we are behind the curve on this. Texas would be just the state to do it too.

ronsfi on April 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

(and make no mistake that it was an excuse, as the real desire of the Union was to kill and rape Southerne women and children for sport.)

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Huh???
‘scuse me???

Where did you get this information from? Were you there?
There may have been (and I’m sure there were) ulterior motives for prosecuting the Civil War, but I seriously doubt that the primary purpose was to “rape and kill Southern women for sport”.

uncivilized on April 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

The left-wing and extreme right-wing trolls are really looking for a ban today. I hope they get what they want.

In response to this bit of nonsense with Perry, oy. It’s over the top, but Texans aren’t known for being less than vigorous with their sentiments. It doesn’t mean they’re planning to secede.

With that, I ask those of you who actually like the idea, what did you think of this?

The question is rhetorical, by the way.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

uncivilized on April 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM

How about a pied a terre in San Antone and a little beach house in Corpus?

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM

The RINOs are scared of any state asserting their independence

RINO: A person, claiming to be a Republican, but who actually opposes secession from the United States, even though the President has a left-wing agenda.

YYZ on April 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM

YOU GO RICK PERRY. I love this guy. He has always defended Governor Palin too.

I think what Palin needs at this point is associating herself with Perry’s words.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Texas. It’s not just a state. It’s a state of mind.

So true.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Thanks!

Thanks!

Bruno Strozek on April 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Several things:
When Texas wanted to join the union in 1845, it was a slave state. Admitting Texas would upset the balance between slave states/non slave states. So there was a provision made in the treaty that said that Texas could split into 4 ‘states’ with the ones closest to Missouri going non-slavery and the decision of slavery to be left up to the people in the southern part of Texas.

However, with the civil war, slavery became moot and besides, the U.S. Constitution doesn’t allow for existing states in the union to break into smaller states.

I think this is a pretty accurate picture.

So the bottom line is that as nice as it would be sometimes to be our own country, well equipped with all the oil and gas we need, it’ll never happen.

Perry is blowing smoke.

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

toliver:

Fine, don’t let the door hit you in the a** on your way out honey.

Terrye on April 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

If a state does secede, I’ll start anew like my ancestors did. You’ll be happy to stay in a rotting socialist state I assume.

The Federal government’s debt numbers don’t “add up”. We’re staring a trainwreck in the making. It’s in slo-mo, and I’m not interested in being on that train.

The US Federal government isn’t about to shrink. The demographics are against those that favor limited government. I think the only logical alternative is to secede. The libs would just love to see us leave our respective states. They’d be free to create their collectivist Utopia, and we’d have our liberty, provided we stick to our first principals we share with the Founding Fathers. Everybody wins.

toliver on April 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I don’t like the idea because it’s just red meat, it’s not a plan or goal or idea, no need to get worked-up over, but I’m going to answer your question.

Plus they’re all probably Patriots fans, and everyone knows they’re insufferable.

The reason you said it was rhetorical, is because no one would argue with that :)

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Okay Allah, I have read all the comments. It is unanimous that this is not an “awful” event. You seem to be way out of touch with conservatives lately. Look forward to the QOTD since I have 100% confidence on what the topic will be.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Every third madisonconservative comment.

“Two sides of the same coin! Ban them all!” yeesh.

ronsfi on April 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM

There’s been talk in Montana of secession as well, AP. I think you need to realize that people (esp. in the middle/western part of the country) are fed up.

Lt. Ripley on April 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM

You didn’t mention Corpus Christi. Sparkling City by the Bay. We have lots of sun, lots of endless beach where you can still drive your car, awesome fishing, even better hunting, great wind…
All in one place. Heaven on earth.
pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM

My apologies. Blame it on my ignorance about your fine State. I do know enough to worry about hurricanes in the South and tornado’s throughout.

No matter, the people have an independent spirit not shared in every corner of our Country.

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM

The question is rhetorical, by the way.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

It’s a logical idea MC. The majority of US voters and citizens want a larger government. I don’t think they can be converted. The trends are against us, and these trends will not reverse.

toliver on April 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

State Sovereignty Update

Although New Hampshire’s bill is one of the most radical, he stressed that it was not about secession from the union, but about reasserting state control, saying “This isn’t about withdrawing from the union. The happiest resolution of this resolution would be a renewed union within the confines of the Constitution.” But he went on to make the key distinction that the New Hampshire bill actually makes the claim, based on the writings of Jefferson and Madison, that if the government fails to obey the Constitution then it has effectively negated itself and dissolved the union formed by that document. Itse said, “If the general government nullifies the Constitution, how do you withdraw from something which does not exist?”

econavenger on April 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM

That’s an understatement. He have been out of touch since the beginning.

The country is divided, might as well make it physically. Win Win for everyone.

jdun on April 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM

GoodBoy on April 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Heeeeeeeyyyyy…I kinda resemble that remark! I’ve only lived in the South for about 35 years – I was born up North, but I got here as soon as I could!

uncivilized on April 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

OH SNAP!

ronsfi on April 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Sorry I can’t snap into one of the two positions you like. I’ll cry about your disappointment later.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM

toliver on April 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

They want a larger government because they’re lazy sheep who can’t think for themselves and can barely lift themselves out of their barcaloungers for long enough to vote.

We’re not.

Don’t throw away what can be fixed.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Unlike other parts of the U.S., Texas can clean up its own mess. You didn’t hear much from the people affected by IKE because instead of waiting in line for their $2000 FEMA checks, they pulled themselves up, are cleaning up the mess and are getting on with their lives.

Texas Can Do Spirit is the reason this place is so awesome. And, it’s the reason why so many of us here just want the federal government to leave us the hell alone.

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM

In response to this bit of nonsense with Perry, oy. It’s over the top,

I respectfully disagree with you MadCon. You have to live here to understand that what he said in no way was, either, ‘awful’ or in any way flirting with secession. Look at the context; he was at a tea party. I love my state but I also love my country. I refuse to give up on the USA just because some community organizing Alinsky student tries to destroy it. We will take our country back, not by force, but by getting back Congress in 2010 and the presidency in 2012.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM

you must have been glad when the towers came down.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Bomb New York

♫♪♫

Those terrorists tried to get us
Drop them planes from out of the sky
But it didn’t stop America
When those New York people died

So bring it on, Osama!

Airplanes, missiles, nukes and bombs,
Nine-Eleven times ten
You couldn’t bring the Big Apple down
You may as well try again

Bring it on!
Bomb New York
Light up the New York sky
Like the Fourth of July

The water supply ain’t guarded
There’s a valve at 45th and Main
Through which you could easily introduce hemorrhagic fever toxins into the municipal water supply
Through an inlet pumping station

Bomb New York!
Kill all the Jews and Gays
It’s time for Judgment Day!
♫♪♫

VinceP1974 on April 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM

barcaloungers

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Shhh. Please don’t say that word. Did it get banned?

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM

We’re not.

Don’t throw away what can be fixed.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I sure as hell hope it can be fixed, because the chances of a state leaving the Union is …….. I don’t know….. I’d give it a 5% probability right now. If Barry gets a second term, I suspect we’ll be talking about this idea seriously.

Oh yeah, tomorrow the EPA should be announcing “cap and trade” type regulations. Good Lord my head is going to explode.

toliver on April 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM

All this talk proves is that Rick Perry’s internal polling numbers for a primary race next March against Kay Bailey Hutchison must not be looking all that great, and he’s going further to shore up his support among conservatives.

Remember, this is the same Rick Perry who fought six years for the Trans-Texas Corridor, the biggest state-initiated public works highway and rail project in American history ($175 billion). It’s also the same Rick Perry who, after re-election in 2006, tried to force a mandatory cervical cancer vaccine program for 11- and 12-year-old girls into law, only to be blocked by the state legislature when it came out the maker of the new vaccine was a contributor to Perry’s re-election campaign.

Perry’s been moving back towards the right since then, after realizing that the rift he had opened with Texas conservatives might make them apathetic enough about his re-election in 2010 to allow Hutchison to win the Republican primary. Texas pols have been scared by voters into real action in the past — Bob Bullock’s turn-around on trying with Ann Richards to create a state income tax in 1991 being the most notable example — so Rick may have had a come-to-Jesus moment in 2007, and could be sincere about what he said today. Or he could just be saying what he thinks needs to be said to generate a big primary turnout 11 months from now. My guess is the latter, but we’ll see what Texas voters decide next March.

jon1979 on April 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Is this just “red meat” or Perry working the moment?
Interesting thing is: First, before the Civil War, such talk was probably put down as “nothing but talk,” too and look how that worked out…
Secondly, rather than fighting slavery, this time we’d be fighting federal slavery: it’s curious that the “Red”/McCain-Palin voting states are the same ones that are growing in population and productivity while the “Blue” states are failing, in debt and increasingly dependent on federal funds that Red State taxpayers provide.
It could shape up to be a real Civil War II.
BTW, Texas is far from the only state to pass 10th Amendment type legislation affirming states’ rights.

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I think the most fierce opponents of states rights in this case would be Northern Republicans. If we left, the progressives would be in power forever up north, and the acceleration of the North into a left-socialist country would be extremely fast even compared to now. I wouldn’t feel that bad, though, because most northern Republicans don’t share conservative values and just appreciate the Neo-Con War aspect of the party.

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM

toliver on April 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I concur. All my hair is gone from going crazy with all the liberal double-speak, so I’m trying to keep my head together with an ample supply of duct tape.

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:48 PM

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Hell yea, I like the way you think!

JackS on April 15, 2009 at 8:48 PM

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Not sure where we disagreed. I never said it was awful, only that it was over the top. Glenn Beck is over the top, but it’s part of his charm. One of my best friends grew up in San Antonio, and I learned a lot about the attitude down there, which I liked.

Good Lord my head is going to explode.

toliver on April 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Hard liquor soothes the pain. Pretend it’s Gatorade like you just ran a marathon.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Another example of someone holed up in a liberal sanctuary city with no clue of what is going on in the rest of the country…let alone Texas.

Vigilante on April 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Pssst…Prove that.

vapig on April 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Just on it being over the top.

San Antonio is a fantastic city.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Here in Texas, the word “secession” is thrown around a lot. I think there has always been a group of people that would support it, and that number is growing–but I’m not sure it’s at 50% yet.

My point is that, while the term is used frequently down here, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s going to happen.

youngTXcon on April 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I have never been a secession nutjob, but I have visited several websites in the past couple of months advocating such a cause. Something has got to change.

Vigilante on April 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM

youngTXcon on April 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM

We have something similar in Chicago.. they call it “Reforming government” or “fighting corruption” or other such confusing slogans.

VinceP1974 on April 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Why would righties get banned on a conservative website for expressing their belief in State’s Rights? My goodness man – you do realize that the FOUNDING FATHERS were secessionists no? It’s not an extreme view. It’s not UN-DEMOCRATIC (which is what Allah labeled it).

The question is rhetorical, by the way.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM

The only thing I read was “Overthrow Bush”. You need to make an important distinction – secession does not equal “overthrow”. Secession is NOT a coup. When the South seceded in 1861, it’s main goal was to do so peacefully. It was never demanded, nor even asked, for the United States Federal Government to be disbanded. Fort Sumter was about claiming land that rightfully would have belonged to the State of South Carolina. First Manassas was about the Federal Government forcefully exerting it’s will on the Southern States – which had democratically elected to leave the United States.

That is NOT an extreme position – it is NOT overthrowing a government. Please don’t make inadequate comparisons.

HondaV65 on April 15, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Pssst…Prove that.

vapig on April 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I would recommend reading a bit of Thomas DiLorenzo. His most famous book, The Real Lincoln, lays out the argument very well.

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I’m on it:

toliver on April 15, 2009 at 8:55 PM

The sign of true patriotism.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Okaaaay… but is there no line in the sand when drastic action could be taken? Yes, I’m being quite serious. I’m not suggesting that we have reached that point, but your statement in turn suggests that there is no such line and that any talk of a succession is way off base.

If we, in fact, agree that at some point the people of Texas or any other jurisdiction do have the moral right to succeed or revolt or take another drastic action, then what conditions have to be in place for those actions to become a moral option? In other words, where is the line?

Again, let me be clear. In no way am I suggesting that anybody has reached that line and has a moral right to take drastic action, but I am asking the very real, honest question: Where is that line? Lest anybody feel that I am stoking the fires of revolution, I assure you that I am not. I am simply trying to have a rational discussion about actions that are starting to look more and more plausible the further we go. I would also remind people that our founding fathers must have had similar discussions before 1776. Were they unjustified in asking such questions? If not, why would we be unjustified?

For instance, what if Congress abolished all rights to firearms and it was upheld by the SCOTUS? What if Congress or the President suspend other fundamental Constitutional rights such as habeus corpus for US citizens. Are the people obliged to accept any action on the part of the government, even if there is still a functioning “democracy?” Clearly, the founders saw limits on the power of the Congress and the federal government, which is why things like the Bill of Rights exist. If the government chooses to disregard those rights, even with a full vote of the majority in the legislature, the signature of a duly elected President, and the agreement of the Supreme Court, are citizens obliged to accept anything? No, I’m not talking crazy, tin-foil-hat, marginal stuff here (like arguing that all taxes are unconstitutional or something). I’m talking real, clear violations of the Constitution and/or Bill of Rights.

PersonalLiberty on April 15, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Wow. I’m not getting you, AP. Perry is my newest hero. First off he’s right–Texas technically does have a special relationship with the US regarding Secession (not that anyone would seriously consider invoking it, or that Washington would honor it). If he’s willing to bring up that fact to remind Washington that its power does have limits–a fact it clearly no longer believes–then more power to him. You will find no other elected offical taking a harder stance for Federalism and against the madness currently going on in Washington today. Period. The actions this man’s taken and the things he’s said since Obama took office make me extraordinarily grateful that I’m a Texan, and that Perry is my governor. Screw 2012: If I could put the man in the White House tomorrow I’d do it with a second thought.

But of course he’s not planning to run in 2012. A sixth grader could write the DNC’s main talking point for that campaign: “Look what happened the last time a Texas Governor was in the White House!” (What he is trying to do, though, is preserve his governorship from a potential challenge from noted RINO Kay Bailey Hutchison–an effort in which you should support him whole-heartedly.)

I’ll just say you’ve completely missed the ball here and leave it at that. In times like these, you need to embrace your friends where you can find them. Firebrands attract attention, particularly when they wield real power, and such attention can start a meaningful movement. Perry isn’t afraid to be one. That makes him one of the best friends you and anyone else clinging to any iota of hope of saving this republic have. And you would call him “awful”? What are you possibly thinking?

And you say “awful”? Good lord.

Blacklake on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Secession? That’d be treason.

Next.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Eh, sorry for the double closing. Self-editing fail.

Blacklake on April 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Thank god for Perry! Thank god for Palin and for freedom.

Allah you may not like the talk about succession but it is a right of each state. It keeps the Federal Government honest…which we both agree has gone out of control.

The first state to leave the Union will be the next place I move.

PierreLegrand on April 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Secession? That’d be treason.

Treason is what the patriots down there want. While they are preparing, they are busy routinely reenacting it.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Awful.

Why?

The Texas Governor is right on here… what Obama is doing is awful….

Get your priorities in line please….

IntheNet on April 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Secession? That’d be treason.

Next.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Only if you’re a Fed-loving Nanny State teat sucking Yankee!

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

was smacked down in a prior thread about this & all I can say is “told ya”. Question – what colors do you think the Texan flag will be? Oh and the Texan national anthem? any takers?

Pro-American my butt

TruUSA on April 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Secession? That’d be treason.

Next.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM

What do you call allowing an out of control federal government crushing you and future generations under a debt load that can never be paid back? I call that treason!

jwp1964 on April 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Secession? That’d be treason.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Yeah … I think you need to send some boys down here to get a handle on us – I think we’re out of control. ;)

HondaV65 on April 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Lincoln is a very accessible man. His secretaries took care to publish every word he wrote or spoke that could be found. Anyone can read Lincoln and come to understand the man.

But the great irony is that hate feeds on ignorance. People who are ignorant of Lincoln can be fed crap by people who aim to mold the past in a manner to justify their own ideas.

People who claim Israel has no right to exist do that. Truthers do that 9/11. Gore did that with GW.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

East Texas is where a majority of the unreconstructed rebels reside. [The area played an extremely important part in the Civil War.]

The difference is, now, that people outside of that group are advocating secession. Still, don’t think it’s going to happen.

youngTXcon on April 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Secession? That’d be treason.

Next.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM

In the case of Texas, technically no. But it’s a bit of legalese unique to Texas, and no other state I’m aware of. Perry mentions it not to say he would ever invoke the (technically) legal option, but to remind Washington that D.C. isn’t the only show in the country–and that he’s not afraid to stand up to them.

Blacklake on April 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

On days like this, after reading posts like this,I wonder…

Why do I even read HA?

Pathetic.

I could get this kind of crap from a Kos Kid.

Dorvillian on April 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Ok AP,

Let’s pretend that Obama is successful in nationalizing health care and education and successfully imposes a massive cap & trade tax on all of us to fund health care for all. Let’s say he successfully moves 51% of Americans completely off the tax rolls so that taxpayers like myself are reduced to indentured servants for the 51%. Let’s say he successfully makes gun ownership so difficult that most people give them up or never purchase. Just how far are you willing to be pushed before you do more than wait for the next election cycle and hope things get better.

What if we are at a tipping point from which we may never recover?

I personally would advocate splitting the country in half, Libs to one side and Conservatives to the other. It would be fun to watch the Lib nation collapse under their Utopian “progressive” legislation.

I don’t want to spend the rest of my life, I’m 42, fighting to restore Constitutional government. I have a young children I want to have a prosperous future, not one in which they are little more than slaves to their fellow citizens.

DerKrieger on April 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM

What’s more awful?

Shoving socialism down the throats of Americans with a 53% majority (not to speak of the attack on freedoms rampant in the left today), or a frank admission that there is a limit to what the people will tolerate.

We know what AllahLimpWristPundit thinks.

What do you think?

notagool on April 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM

HondaV65 on April 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM

LOL!
How many soldiers does Texas provide to the U.S. military?
I’m sure it’s not that many…*chuckle*

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM

What! Don’t downplay this HotAir. Why else do we come here? Of course to have fun with stuff like this.

Awful…

What are you talking about, this is gold, nay, it’s raining diamonds.

BTW, to threaten cessation is to almost commit treason? After all I’m sure two people witnessed it. :) Let the fun begin.

PresidenToor on April 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM