Audio: Rick Perry flirts with secession at tea-party presser

posted at 7:40 pm on April 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

I snarked yesterday that the left would get hysterical and treat his statement on the Tenth Amendment as a veiled call for secession, so I’m obliged to eat my words today. Simply awful, whether as a convenient distraction for the media from the tea parties or as a brush for them to tar the protests as motivated by crackpot neo-confederate sentiments. Even Drudge, who’s obviously sympathetic to the rallies, is leading with the story right now. In the red scare font, no less.

Breitbart has the audio if you’re curious, but here’s the gist of it:

Perry called his supporters patriots. Later, answering news reporters’ questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

“There’s a lot of different scenarios,” Perry said. “We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we’re a pretty independent lot to boot.”

He said when Texas entered the union in 1845 it was with the understanding it could pull out. However, according to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Texas negotiated the power to divide into four additional states at some point if it wanted to but not the right to secede.

Texas did secede in 1861, but the North’s victory in the Civil War put an end to that.

What a treat to see some on the right pulling the same whiny, anti-democratic crap that the left pulled under Bush. I can only assume this means that I was wrong about Perry’s 2012 aspirations and that he’s not planning to run, as the thought of a secessionist presidential candidate would be rather highly nuanced indeed. Exit question: Chuck Norris for Texas president?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Put your tutu away, Dorothy……geez.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM

You snark, but he’s not running for federal office. He’s running for re-election as Texas Governor and that kind of talk will get him re-elected in a snap.

t.ferg on April 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Thanks Guv…

AUINSC on April 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM

And down goes the gauntlet…

d1carter on April 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Bet that sent a tingle down todd palin’s leg.

benny shakar on April 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Obama has been waiting for his Abe Lincoln moment.

“We must keep the Union together!!!”- Honest Obe.

I am glad I kept GGGG grandpa’s Union cap,canteen & G.A.R. ribbons.

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Will I need a passport to change planes at DFW?

Cicero43 on April 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Bet that sent a tingle down todd palin’s leg.

benny shakar on April 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM

heh. Your a troll, but that was funny.

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Upon hearing this Olbermann had an accident in his pants. He’ll be gleeful. Perry as Worst Person in the Woooorrrrrld in 3, 2, 1…

Pope Linus on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Perry is correct and he’s right. There will be more of this as the federal government has totally overstepped its bounds and is looking to drag everyone down into the chasm with it. Not all will follow.

progressoverpeace on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Republicans love America, and that’s why… they’re seceding.

e-pirate on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

49 to go. Think it about, sure not gonna happen in the D states, but you can hope.
L

letget on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it.

How is that a call for secession? I think you are cherry picking here.

bitsy on April 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

And this is why most of us in Texas roll our eyes about Gov. Perry. All hat and no cattle, and in this case the hat is Yosemite Sam extreme.

But if all he is looking for is reelection as Gov., this is the rhetoric that will get him there. We love this stuff in our state elections, and we all know that the governor has very little actual power in Texas anyway.

TX Mom on April 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

It’s not awful, AP–it kicks Obama butt!

Texas is one of the most populous and most prosperous states and Washington D.C. can kiss our ass!
Governor Perry is the man of the hour.
God Bless Texas!

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Bet that sent a tingle down todd palin’s leg.

benny shakar on April 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM

What gives you a tingle, bunny? Barry in a swimsuit?

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 7:48 PM

sounds like NOW is the time to buy real estate in Texas

gatorboy on April 15, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I am seriously considering a move to Texas. I think Austin would be confortable. Any suggestions? Would San Antonio or Dallas be a better place to call home?

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Let’s see. Low business taxes. No income tax. Booming. Has to be a fluke. THey need to tax and spend.

marklmail on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Republicans love America, and that’s why… they’re seceding.

e-pirate on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Actually they (I’m an independent) love the founding principles of the USA.

“That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.”

Just a li’l ole thing I like to call The Declaration of Independence.

rbj on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Desperate times, desperate measures . . .

Ingenue on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

How many people will be crossing the Red River to get in if it happens?

Be_Aware on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Austin is liberal, beautiful city, but the gay capital of the South. I’m from SA, so I am partial. Very nice and beautiful.
Dallas, used to be nicer…lots of illegals.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Isn’t there a clause in the Texas constitution (circa the 1800′s) that allows Texas to dissolve itself into a half dozen independent states? Any Texans out there who can shed a little light on this for me?
Thanks!

Bruno Strozek on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

e-pirate…. The United States is a concept and dream, stupid. Secession is a Constitutional right when the federal entity usurps it role and expands unconstitutionally.

MNDavenotPC on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

In the red scare font, no less.

And the little police spinny light.

benny,
that was the first joke of yours I’ve ever laughed at. But you have to remember that the tingles go up the leg, not down.

BadgerHawk on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

L

letget on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Don’t you mean 56 to go?

rbj on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Bravo governor . . . sounds good to me.

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Austin might be comfortable too.

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Will I need a passport to change planes at DFW?

Cicero43 on April 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM

You’ll need a passport to fly anywhere domestically soon enough as it is. Since felons can’t get passports, that is a simple way to keep them off of the flights.

gatorboy on April 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I would tell you to stop hyperventilating, but it’s more fun this way I bet.

First, he answered a reporter’s question. Second, he said, “We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it” and Third, he’s running for re-election in Texas against a Republican challenger. I’m willing to bet that he doesn’t care what NY’rs think about what he said in Texas today.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM

sure not gonna happen in the D states, but you can hope.

letget on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Actually, many of the D states are more likely secession candidates, but for totally different reasons. If amnesty passes, some D states will start seceeding not long after as the voter base will identify more with Mexico and Latin America than the US. That’s what the whole “We didn’t cross the border, the border crossed us” line means that the illegals and their fans used to love to spout, before they saw that it ticked off Americans.

progressoverpeace on April 15, 2009 at 7:52 PM

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Thanks Hornet. SA to top of the list.

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 7:52 PM

How is that a call for secession? I think you are cherry picking here.

bitsy on April 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Yep I was waiting for that quote to be mentioned, but alas.

On the bright side at least 1 Governor is now on the DHS watch list, as a right winged extremist.

F15Mech on April 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Beta-Man, this isn’t ‘awful’…it’s heroic.

Me thinks you underestimate the anger out here. Obama has gone from 0 to crazy commie in two months. This is just the begining Beta Man.

DrW on April 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

MNDavenotPC on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Sounds like a winning campaign issue to me. Go for it.

e-pirate on April 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I don’t see the sentiment as embarassing. We are facing universal healthcare, and trillions of dollars of deficit spending that seems like it is never going to stop.

But not having command of the basic facts is embarassing.

myrenovations on April 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

But I though Emperor Lincoln settled that?!?!?

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Well there are things happening in this country that I would consider secession over. Honestly.

I wish we could make California a separate country… maybe keep Northern California and San Diego but let the rest of the state eat itself. We are going to be paying for California’s socialist experiment for years to come. Why should I have to pay for their mistakes! And they won’t even have to change there stupid behavior to get money.

California is truly a disgrace.

petunia on April 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I went to a Tea Party Today, its just as annoying to see a politician try and exploit a true grassroots movement.

rob verdi on April 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM

And this is anti-democratic how….?

I can’t think of anything less democratic than to force participation by the unwilling.

JohnTant on April 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM

lol you are as predictable as weeny shaker.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Jesusland, here we come.

strangelet on April 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Just as a side note, Arizona only narrowly missed passing Prop 101 during the last election, something like 49.4 to 50.6, which was a 10th amendment proposition that disallowed the feds from dictating unfunded mandates about health care to the state.

progressoverpeace on April 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Secession is perfectly democratic if it is done through a vote-acquiring process.

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I’m from SA, so I am partial. Very nice and beautiful.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I like you HornetSting, but your San Antonio Spurs are no match for the Portland TrailBlazers!!

Final season game tonight against Denver. I’m torn between the Tea Party & the Game. I have my radio though, so I think I’ll go to the Teaparty.

Go Blazers!!!

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I am glad I kept GGGG grandpa’s Union cap,canteen & G.A.R. ribbons.

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Funny that…

/looks at his GGGG Grandpappys SOUTHERN Civil War Saber, which hangs on his office wall…

Romeo13 on April 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I’m moving to Texas!

jencab on April 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM

A civil war settled that question. So, if the rest of the Union doesn’t want it to happen, how is it going to happen?

AUINSC on April 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

progressoverpeace on April 15, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Reconquista! That’s what that means… It means marching down the streets of Phoenix waving El Salvadoran flags, Mexican flags…

petunia on April 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

secession is not so far-fetched of an idea

lincoln was wayyyyy overrated

go perry

MedSchoolCatholic on April 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM

jencab,
Come on down, we are nice people here. Been here for years and love it.
L

letget on April 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM

AP seems to suffer from the same syndrome as many of the people in the media suffer from. They work backwards from predetermined conclusions and only hear and use information that supports their bias. Either he’s using these antics to light a fire under people to inspire more comments in his threads or he’s an idiot. I’m not sure which.

the_stoics on April 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM

petunia on April 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Yep. And if amnesty passes, many of the states in which we saw those parades will leave the US in a heartbeat.

progressoverpeace on April 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Romeo13 on April 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Hello Johnny Reb!

Mine stuff hangs in my office too. I bet our GGGG Grandads would be freaking out seeing what they fought to preserve going as crazy as it has.

Lt. S.C. Pearson,9th Indiana Co.D 1861-1865.

Nice to meet you!

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

If it’s not in a state constitution (where it is not anywhere), then sure if a bill passed in Congress and was signed into law, it might (might) be considered legal.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

rob verdi on April 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM

and that’s why I chose not to participate – this is a grassroots movement. Not for the GOP or conservative radio to co-opt

gatorboy on April 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Hey Allah,

Could you change the graphic on this post to a juicy red steak with a big atomic bomb mushroom cloud coming out of it?

AUINSC on April 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

If at first you don’t secede, try, try again.

Ars Moriendi on April 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Go Blazers!!!

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Uh hem. And how many championships have the Spurs won…’99, ’03,’05,’07…..and the Blazers???

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Put your tutu away, Dorothy……geez.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Love it.

Cindy Munford on April 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM

AUINSC on April 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

The Civil War settled the question of slavery . . . and perhaps interstate commerce, nothing more.

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Uh hem. And how many championships have the Spurs won…’99, ‘03,’05,’07…..and the Blazers???

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Touche Hornet. 1977…..hoping for one in VERY SOON!!. =)

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM

AUINSC on April 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Yeah, Lincoln allegedly “settled” it over a century ago, but that’s no reason not to question his wisdom today, especially since the North doesn’t have the excuse of wanting to end slavery any more (and make no mistake that it was an excuse, as the real desire of the Union was to kill and rape Southerne women and children for sport.)

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Awful? Perhaps to an elitist-wanna be New Yorker.
Mr. Pundit, how about you keep your snide comments about Texas to your self? Texas has more freedom and less taxes than that cesspool that you call New York. Do us all a favor and assume the fetal position and cry in the dark while holding your Meghan McCain doll.

the new aesthetic on April 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Funny that…

Romeo13 on April 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Don’t have a saber to hang proudly, but I’m honored that my GG grandfather fought for the Stars and Bars in the War of Northern Agression!
You know, it was only partly over slavery, but it was indeed wholly about states’ rights, which is what Gov. Perry is concerned with.

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I think it’s glorious. The first state that leaves, i’m moving to. This is the fate for the United Debtors of America:

• If you’re a 50-year old-with a college degree, you will pay approximately $81,000 over your working life just to pay the interest on the debt in the Obama budget.

• If you’re a 40-year-old, you’ll pay $132,000.

• And if you’re a 20-year-old, just starting out after college, you will pay a whopping $114,000 just to service the interest on the debt created by the Obama budget.

- source – Newt Gingrich over at Human Events.

VinceP1974 on April 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Governor Perry Calls FEMA To Assist With Wildfires
Governor Perry Calls For 1,000 Troops To Be Sent To Border
Governor Perry Requests 18 Month Extension Of Federal Aid For Ike Debris Removal

nuance.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Texas has the resources and capabilities to adequately deal with all those issues. Utilizing federal resources that the taxpayers of Texas partially fund was just good business practices and leadership.

rplat on April 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM

F15Mech on April 15, 2009 at

7:53 PM

Make no mistake, Perry’s been on that list since Jan. 21, 2009

john1schn on April 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM

You just can’t make this stuff up.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Sounds good to me, Galt’s Gulch is being set up! Count me in!

echosyst on April 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM

“The South will Rise Again” doesn’t sound so far fetched now does it?

If Al Qaeda can defeat the US military (or hold them off due to bureaucratic red tape), then I assure you that the US can defeat the US. . . especially the anti-war US. Now there won’t even be a war. We’ll just secede and suffer from a series of UN resolution condemnations.

The federal government was never intended to be this intrusive or large. A large and powerful government is not conducive to a free people.

ThackerAgency on April 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM

t.ferg on April 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Heck, yeah…Texans already think they ought to be a whole ‘nother country. He’s just givin’ them what they want.

uncivilized on April 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Give me a break, he wasn’t calling for secession or flirting with the idea, he’s just laying down a warning to people in Washington that this anger isn’t manufactured and they need to take notice.

Honestly, he’s acting like a Texan. All this talk about “all hat no cattle” is just pent-up anger over his policies in the past, and I’ll be the first to admit I’ve never voted for the man as Governor, but many Texans are tired of DC telling us we need to change when our state is leading the way out of this mess. We are the economic standard the rest of the union should be following, not being forced by idiots in Washington, most of whom have never run a business, to change what works for their grand plans for the nation.

We live in a country made up of 50 sovereign states, and if the federal government continues to usurp Austin’s authority and power Texas won’t be the only state looking to make a change. Now, what that means has yet to be determined, and while only the fringe is currently talking secession in this state that might grow if DC doesn’t knock off the power grab.

Perry was just stating a warning, the path we’re on and the anger DC is flirting with is dangerous if it continues.

Texans won’t stand for this.

smfoushee on April 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM

You didn’t mention Corpus Christi. Sparkling City by the Bay. We have lots of sun, lots of endless beach where you can still drive your car, awesome fishing, even better hunting, great wind…

All in one place. Heaven on earth.

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM

You just can’t make this stuff up.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Who the Hell said that?

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM

L

letget on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Not true.

O’bama and Biden, and most of their fellow Democrats, have repeatedly voted in favor of the Akaka Bill, which would allow Hawai’i to eventually secede. At the very least it would make one caste of people more equal than others.

And here in northern New England, the ski town of Killington, in the Socialist state of Vermont, has in the past mounted efforts to secede-from that state.

Del Dolemonte on April 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM

On Glenn Beck’s radio show last week, I quipped, in response to our wayward federal government, “I may run for president of Texas.”

That need may be a reality sooner than we think. If not I, someone someday may again be running for president of the Lone Star State, if the state of the union continues to turn into the enemy of the state.

I’m willing to bet that with enough practice Chuck Norris could repeat that. There’s no way in hell he wrote it himself.

As for Perry, his words don’t sound like that big of a deal. He provided quite a bit of qualifications. Still, it may be interpreted as a hidden appeal to the deranged. If he can’t phrase his disgust with the growth of the federal government, then maybe the fedral political career is not for him. He’s better off staying at home executing mentally retarded people or whatever is the favorite past time of Texans these days.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Oh, that was supposed to mean it was a bad thing?

I didn’t read it that way.

LOL

KittyLowrey on April 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Governor Perry Calls For 1,000 Troops To Be Sent To Border
sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM

What would you do in his place?
Did you know that Napolitano, Richardson and Ahnuld (Governors of other border states AZ, NM and CA) refuse to do this because keeping out illegal Mexicans is “mean?”
Meanwhile, Gov. Perry has to worry about Texas being the new front of the Mexican drug war.
Damn!

Jenfidel on April 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I’m not sure what the issue is. If you actually live in Texas, you have the context. If you don’t…you probably want to do some reading.

And you have to understand who Rick Perry is. He likes this kind of rhetoric, but he’s just blowing what passes down here as populist smoke. But it’s directed…it’s not just random politics.

It’s pushback against an out of control federal system. You tell me when it’s time for that kind of thing from the states. If it’s never, then let’s just fold the tent, sing songs and accept whatever comes from Washington.

Asher on April 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I am sure (and am hopeful) that this talk isn’t serious.

I don’t care what the policies of government are, you don’t break up the nation as a solution.

Let’s focus on actual policy and not flirt with secession. The last thing we need is another civil war.

ckoeber on April 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

FireBlogger on April 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM

San Antonio by far. I say that as a person that only lived there for the summer of ’86. I lived in Dallas for 8 years before moving to rural Central Texas; I still commute and work in Dallas. Fort Worth is definitely a better place to live in my opinion. The downtown is vibrant, there is a great arts district and culture galore.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 8:10 PM

portlandon on April 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Dean. His our walking “Jewish state has no right to exist” and “Lincoln was a baby-killer” contingent. I would call him our resident extreme paleo-con, but I’ve not seen any con in him. Let’s just say, RP probably pocked some of his money via newletter subscription.

Spirit of 1776 on April 15, 2009 at 8:10 PM

What’s so awful about his statement? I stand with Gov. Perry.

long_cat on April 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

pullingmyhairout,
I live not too far from CC. Nice to see someone else near.
L

letget on April 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

FireBlogger, Yosemite is so beautiful. Moving, you’d miss it. There are so many Hill County towns and cities outside of Austin to explore. Austin itself is very liberal, extremely high taxed property locale (no state income tax, so the sales and property taxes fund all of the radical liberal “green” peabrain projects and decrees). For example, the latest liberal project, though Austin is on the border of enough predictable sunlight vs. overcast “partly sunny” skies that are highly susceptible to hail storms, is to go solar power in Austin, though it will cost a LOT more from customers, more than the traditional utilities already functioning. Meanwhile, in AZ where the sunshine is PREDICTABLE, the liberals say no to Solar where hail storms are pretty rare.

maverick muse on April 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

You are highly offensive.

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

that cesspool that you call New York

you must have been glad when the towers came down.

sesquipedalian on April 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Nice. You are a class act.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Typo from Newt. The 20 y/o will be paying $1,140,000

VinceP1974 on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

[letget on April 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM]

Well, there’s always portions of D states that will become new states to consider.

Dusty on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

pullingmyhairout on April 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Really? OK. Cuz I thought executing mentally retarded people (or anybody really) is offensive. But to each his own.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Drudge’s pushing it because he likes it, period. Anyone who follows Drudge knows his line of though.

Certain bloggers have the right to think it’s awful, but not to project their paranoid ways of thinking onto others.

Aristotle on April 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Succession is the only way for some Americans to save themselves from the socialism of the masses. We does everything have to be destroyed? Why can’t some of it be saved? It sure bets threatening to leave America and go to France.

keep the change on April 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM

JohnTant on April 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Indeed. There is a significant number of historians that argue today that federalism, as our founding fathers knew it, actually ended with Lincoln’s prosecution of the civil war.

I’m not sure what percentage, but some of those historians do indeed believe that Lincoln’s insistence on keeping the union preserved was a grotesque abuse of power.

In any event, whatever his goals, they required the formation of a new party (The Republican Party) to acheive them.

gryphon202 on April 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Now is as good a time as ever for us to open our eyes to Lincoln’s real agenda, and not the fantasy-land one where he just wants to free the slaves!!!

Then we can have a serious discussion on the states rights (especially the right to secession) at this time.

The Dean on April 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Let’s see. Low business taxes. No income tax. Booming. Has to be a fluke.

marklmail on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM

And their leglislature meets only once every two years.

I can’t wait for a Texas Passport. Would they accept immigrants from California?

Gormm on April 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I think Allah is reading a bit much into this. Perry has no more intention of leaving the union than all those Democrats did in 2004 when they threatened to emigrate.

Terrye on April 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM