Video: Rick Perry asserts Texas’s Tenth Amendment rights

posted at 4:00 pm on April 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

Not sure why Drudge is touting this today given that it was uploaded almost a week ago. Maybe it’s a tea-party aperitif or maybe it’s just his wry counterpoint to the DHS report on “right-wing radicals.” Either way, it’s a dynamite stunt by Perry, guaranteed to resonate tomorrow and to raise his profile with the base ahead of 2012. There’s no reason I can think of, aside from pure showmanship, to pass a resolution formally asserting their Tenth Amendment rights; if they’re serious about challenging The One on that ground, they could just pick some federal statute and sue. They’d almost certainly lose — the courts historically have treated the Tenth Amendment as a glorified footnote — but Anthony Kennedy’s been surprisingly conservative in some of his federalism jurisprudence. He, Scalia, and Thomas were all part of the conservative majority that revived limits on the Commerce Clause 15 years ago. The time might be ripe for a Tenth Amendment reawakening in a similar vein. Picture it: A right-wing Court deftly wielding a key clause from the Bill of Rights to strike down one piece of progressive economic legislation after another. What could go wrong?

I’m tempted to check Memeorandum to see how many nutroots all-stars are breathing into paper bags and spinning this as some sort of neo-confederate call for secession, but the aggravation’s just not worth it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You are missing the point – the votes are indeed the easy part.

It is that whole stand up and fight when the federal government would rather you did not break off the lovely relationship you all were having.

I honestly don’t think the majority of Americans are up for that kind of fight at this time. Nor, would it be necessary if we’d stand up and VOTE – or at least pay attention occasionally to what’s going on.

kybowexar on April 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM

The easy step is also the first step. The liberals would be glad to get rid of us. They would pay for our gas to Texas or wherever else. We are holding them back from their Utopia.

Now lets think about this. Hmmmmm…… Do you think liberals, moderates and “civilians” [those that don't pay attention and don't care] would pressure their government to keep us? They wouldn’t want to fight, and their politicians would be poll driven I’ll have to guess.

This is where I think things are headed w/in my lifetime.

toliver on April 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Sorry Texas, you’re late. Indiana did this yesterday.

Notorious GOP on April 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Texas did this months ago. This press release just shows Perry’s affirmation of the bill and it was released last week.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

So just Cook County, California, and NY it is.

WashJeff on April 14, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Please take Massachusetts too.

AZCoyote on April 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Texas has had some great Governors over the years.
My personal favorite is Dolph Briscoe (a Dem, by the way – they all were, back then) who had a nervous breakdown in 1972 when his elderly mother died and had to undergo multiple electroshock therapies in Galveston at the UT medical center (under an assumed name) while he was Governor. He didn’t have a press conference for months and no one even noticed. Or cared.
Those were the days!

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Yeah, unless RP has recently grown a pair, I don’t really get too excited about anything from him.

And as far as TX leading anything, don’t count on it. This ain’t the same TX that many of you are referencing. We’re overrun with Yankee Liberals and Illegals and have been “diversified” into near extinction.

gregbert on April 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Texas has had some great Governors over the years.
Those were the days!

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I remember Dolph!
What about Ma and Pa Ferguson? Governor Jim Hogg and his daughter Ima Hogg? Colorful history.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Being in Big D, I say way to go “Gov.Adios, MOFO!”. Perry is a peach and I agree with him…today! Austin does rub off on him some times but not today!!! Whoo Hooo!

Brian on April 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Texas has had some great Governors over the years.
Those were the days!

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM</blockquote

So what’s your point? Are you trashing or ridiculing Texas or is this just meant to be a light history lesson?

rplat on April 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

After living through two atrocious, corrupt and incompetent Democrat Governors and wary of a potential for a third straight (in the form of the excreable Terry McCauliffe), I bailed on Virginia, voted with my feet and landed in Texas.

Our economy is fantastic, my home price was very reasonable, I have an actual Congressman in the form of Lamar Smith (quite a change from the appalling criminal Jim Moran) and Governor Perry.

If you can – bolt the blue states, they are all destined to become a crime ridden, jobs bleeding disaster Democrat/union owned Michigan. Abandon the rust belt, allow the far left lunatics to have the north and move south.

If the second Civil War occurs, it will be the real Americans in the South, against Obama’s Gangster Disciples and Latin Kings. It will be over in a week. And we’ll do a far better job at reconstructing this time.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Brian on April 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Awesome! Good to see you here Brian.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

NoDonkey on April 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

But the ‘sideways’ aiming with the handguns will still look pretty cool.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Cowboy up, MOFO!

If you are up to it, read about one of Gov’s old relatives (in the ol’ family link somewhere) who definitely stood for TEXAS and almost gave his life, oh at least 21 times, for his State. My hero and my grgr-grandfather’s first cousin, Captain of the Texas Rangers, Cicero Rufus Perry:

SouthernPride on April 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I’m confused (as usual). Here is the link again, I hope:

Dang! Ruined my dramatics.

SouthernPride on April 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM

As a conservative voter, I think Perry has been a pretty good Gov. He has done a few things I haven’t liked, but in general, he is a good leader. Sure beats Kay Bailey who will run against him in the gubernatorial primary, She is one of TX sitting Senators, & can be a bit RINO at times.Unfortunately TX is getting more blue by the day with Mexico being in our backyard, and so many immigrants beholden to the RINO’s and libs for everything.

Susanboo on April 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I moved from Louisiana to Texas as fast as I could. Got here in 1973 and never have left. I love it here. I have met Governor Perry and like him quite well. I will vote for him again.

txstar on April 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM

But the ’sideways’ aiming with the handguns will still look pretty cool.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Yes and we’ll have to pay heed to the crack troops/troops on crack, of the elite Jesse Jackson Division.

What’s the range of a Tec-9, BTW?

NoDonkey on April 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I remember Dolph!
carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

“Ma” Ferguson got paid off in the 1920′s and pardoned the crazy scumbag who shot and killed my wife’s great-grandfather who was evicting him because the scumbag lost all his money at the racetrack and cathouses in Juarez.
For a thousand bucks, she got him off of death row in Huntsville. She and Jim Fersuson did that sort of stuff often. Quite a pair.
And yes, Jim Hogg (who weighed well over 300 pounds – you can see his statue on the south mall at the University of Texas) actually named his daughter Ima, but, despite the rumors, he never had a daughter named Ura. He used to say “Hogg’s my name as well as my nature.” He also so-founded Texaco by threatening the other oilmen while governor.
As for Dolph, I actually met Gov. Briscoe back in the 1980′s on a well on his 800,000-acre Catarina ranch and he kindly gave me a huge hunk of meat to barbecue for the drilling rig crew, so I hope he forgives me for telling that story. As well as for that dry hole..

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Texas ain’t all that, it’s mostly like any other American state. It’s swamped with illegal immigrants, much of it due to businesses hiring them and lip service enforcement.

In one more generation, Texas will be majority Hispanic and Spanish-speaking in all of its cities. Houston is already majority Hispanic and the HISD school system is being completely swamped by this demographic.

Sales taxes in the big Texas cities are pretty much all over 8%. I’m not holding my breath for Texas to lead the way for the future of America.

haner on April 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Wow, sorry about your wife’s ancestors. I had never heard that story. The Fergusons had a Victorian house in Temple. I used to live just down the street from it.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Put the teeth back into the 9th and 10th Amendments by repealing the 16th and 17th.

The Monster on April 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Geez, I wish I lived in Texas! California is lost and rudderless, and is so with the full support of the Obama admin.

JeffVader on April 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM

rplat on April 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

How is that ridiculing Texas?
We’re one big happy family down here..

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:33 PM

This is the right thing to do and I wish the good governor of Texas the Grace of God in this effort.

What’s the range of a Tec-9, BTW?

NoDonkey on April 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Wikipedia puts the range of the Tec-9 at 55 meters (60 yards approx.), but this is unofficial (it says ‘citation needed’ next to the figure).

Chaz706 on April 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM

haner on April 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I agree that Texas is not what it used to be. But when I talk to folks in other parts of the country I always come away from those conversations glad to be here. We have much more freedom than a lot of other states. And Texans still have a spirit about them that will prevent us from being overrun by liberalism- for a while, at least!

kg598301 on April 14, 2009 at 5:42 PM

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Thanks. They were like Bonnie and Clyde, those two.
Temple?
I love that area up 35…
Look up “Pappy” Lee O’Daniel for a laugh. He’s the only person to defeat LBJ in an election, and they modeled the Governor in “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” after him. He also gave Bob Wills his big break – a big plus in my book.
What does this have to do with Obama and the droids?
Texas was (and is) just full of the most wonderful bizarre characters. I just hope it keeps its uniqueness, even with the Idiot Austin Hippie Libs, mojados, and all.
We need the 10th Amendment!!!

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM

How is that ridiculing Texas?
We’re one big happy family down here..

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:33 PM

That’s the funniest thing I have read all day.

Dallas just loves its Houston relatives. And vice versa.

Reading the comments about the folks wanting to move to Texas because it is farther to the right than the rest of the country is kind of flattering. But people moving to Texas from the rest of the country is turning Texas a little more blue every election cycle.

Texas isn’t against new immigrants, but maybe we should be a little more picky. How ’bout a Davy Crockett test for new residents?

cozmo on April 14, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Look up “Pappy” Lee O’Daniel for a laugh.
TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Oh yeah, “Pass the biscuits, Pappy.” The LightCrust Doughboys, precursors to Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys.
He was an Ohio native, IIRC.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I am doing my best to get my wife to move from Kalifornia to Texas. I need to turn up the pressure.

americaslaststand on April 14, 2009 at 5:55 PM

He was an Ohio native, IIRC.
carbon_footprint on April 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Yeah!
Just like Roy Rogers..

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Here I am, stuck in CA.

Spent 14 good years in Dallas. Wish I’d never left.

Sorry man.

I have lived in Texas since 1970 – my parents moved to San Jose in
1988 and I went out to take a look and said no thanks. it does have
some nice scenery but that was about it. Dallas and Texas are doing well
and big part of that is because of Rick Perry. We need more people with
balls to stand up to Obama & his communists bastards.

izoneguy on April 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM

cozmo on April 14, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Im game! anything has to be better than Taxachusetts

Viper1 on April 14, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Texas needs to seal its southern border and enforce its immigration laws ASAP.

When Oklahoma tightened its illegal immigration laws last year, hordes of illegals there moved down to Dallas and Houston.

States with few illegals right now like Oklahoma and New Hampshire are the states that are actively enforcing their immigration statutes. The more illegals there are in Texas, the harder it’s going to be to do anything about them, particularly as politicians start trying to court the growing Hispanic vote.

haner on April 14, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Even blind squirrels find acorns sometimes, but I’m with Gov. Goodhair on this one. He can be trusted to talk the talk until after his re-election. Sadly, I will be stuck voting for him because he is not Hutchison or Friedman (yes, Kinky’s running again.) Trust me, we don’t want Perry in national politics.

obladioblada on April 14, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Was going to post the exact same feelings…thanks for saving me the time.

gregbert on April 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

110% true. It’s a shame.

Vigilante on April 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I’m afraid that the real truth of the matter is that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights exist as ideals rather than hard realities. The SCOTUS is a small group of people in funny robes and nothing more, once you strip away the ceremony and tradition.

If people don’t believe in or respect these sorts of things, it falls apart. Freedom is something buoyed by faith…we all exist in a country that is less a collection of states and cities and more a common ideal that most Americans share.

That’s why the Left is able to do what it’s doing so quickly…when enough people don’t know or don’t care about what they have, it’s easy to take it away from them.

Asher on April 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM

How ’bout a Davy Crockett test for new residents?
cozmo on April 14, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I think Davy Crockett, when he lost his re-election bid for US Representative from Tennessee, said it best:

“You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.”

I loved Fess Parker (Born and raised in Texas) the actor who played Davy in the 1950′s. I just learned
that he is still alive in his 80′s and has a wine making place in California. He should come back home.

WildBillK on April 14, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Good for Gov Perry and Texas. This big act of defiance in the face of an out of control federal Government just gained Texas a new resident. I have been looking at several states to move to after I retire in the near future…counting the months until I am eligible to retire from military. This seals the deal. Texas it is! Where there are apparently some freedom loving Americans still around.

jwp1964 on April 14, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I just moved to San Antonio via Pennsylvania/Virginia and I will not even slightly consider voting for a worthless, corrupt and incompetent Democrat for any office, ever.

That red enough for ya?

Democrat politicians are a blight on the very earth, the entire party has been a cancer on this country from the very day of its establishment and the history of the party lurches from deceit to thievery, to idiocy to treason.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Not to belabor, but if you don’t think your state speaks for you, then what the heck is a senator or congressman for?
The state is there to help you defend your rights.
They do both, they possess powers, and “rights” through the wonderful system of representation.
The states have: right of way, water rights, Google “states rights”, and you will find all the information you need.
States rights (and strict constrution) were a major part of the civil war.
The words rights and powers are interchangeable when talking about state rights. These are legal terms, you are using sociological definitions.

U.S. Military Dictionary:The rights and powers held by individual states rather than by the federal government.

Political Dictionary: The Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution states: ‘The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution,…states’ rights became, as it has always remained, an issue between the South and the rest of the country

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: Rights or powers retained by the regional governments of a federal union under the provisions of a federal constitution.

If you need more, I can provide more…state rights are a fact.

right2bright on April 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Perry has done quite a few liberal moderate things in the past, but I agree totally with him here. It sure seems that he and Baily are once again sliding to the right just in time for the election. (imagine that) But we need to keep an eye on their past actions. I still hope to have a conservative run against them in the primary. (Dan Patrick – are you up to it?) We have a few good conservatives in the state congress, but the Texas Republican party has “It’s their turn”itis just like the national party. It’s time for the new talent to step up.

Corsair on April 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM

THIS GUY IS FOOLING EVERYONE!!!!!

HE IS PART OF THE PROBLEM…

Constitution1st on April 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM

DO NOT TRUST PERRY!!!!

Constitution1st on April 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM

That red enough for ya?

NoDonkey on April 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Yep, and San Antonio needs the help it can get. Welcome

cozmo on April 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Yep, and San Antonio needs the help it can get. Welcome

cozmo on April 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Thank you and I’m glad to buy in Lamar Smith’s area, for the first couple of months I was renting in Ciro Rodriguez’s district. Ugh.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Heh, for one election cycle after the 2000 census, I got to be in Pete Sessions district. Before, and after, I have had to vote against Eddie Bernice Johnson.

cozmo on April 14, 2009 at 7:08 PM

jwp1964 on April 14, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Ya’ll come on down now, ya hear!
This is your formal invitation…….Welcome!

try again later on April 14, 2009 at 7:10 PM

That puts Perry right in DHS cross hairs — that right wing extremist could be dangerous!

Thank God for Texas!
David

LifeTrek on April 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I love Governor Perry. Gig’em!

txag92 on April 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM

My personal favorite is Dolph Briscoe…
TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Freeeeeze a Yankee…
Freeeeeze a Yankee…
Drive Seventy Five and freeze ‘em alive!

Governor Briscoe promised us
If any damnyankees raised a fuss
He’d cut off the gas, turn off the oil
And let ‘em all freeze and boil!

bikermailman on April 14, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Jimmy Hendrix new cut, “Manic Oppression”

CynicalOptimist on April 14, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Stop taking the Federal money, Rick. Stop taking the money.

Kafir on April 14, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I love my adopted home state!

Interestingly Austin is very liberal, but there are a lot of conservatives living and working around here.

Neo on April 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM

HOOK ‘EM HORNS!!

redridinghood on April 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Hell. Gov. Perry isn’t putting up a defense against Hutch…

He’s protecting his right flank from a Ted Nugent challenge…

phreshone on April 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Nelsen on April 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM

HOOK ‘EM HORNS!!

redridinghood on April 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

OH NO…. A t-sip!

txag92 on April 14, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Ya’ll come on down now, ya hear!
This is your formal invitation…….Welcome!

try again later on April 14, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Thanks. Searching for a deal on a nice piece of property now. Was planning a hog/varmint hunt for June in S. Texas…will add a few days for property hunt.

See ya soon.

jwp1964 on April 14, 2009 at 10:28 PM

there is a very easy way to stop the illegal exsesses of the federal government————–IN 2010 VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBANTS ALL FO THEM….IF NOT THEN THERE WILL BE LOTS OF BLOOD IN THE STREATS OF WASHINGTON D C I PRAY WE VOTE THEM OUT

rone5847 on April 14, 2009 at 10:33 PM

one5847 on April 14, 2009 at 10:33 PM

+1 on getting rid of the incumbents from both parties.

jwp1964 on April 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

That red enough for ya?

NoDonkey on April 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I call San Antonio home. We have our fair share of moronic liberals here, but we have two things going for us: We have the Alamo, and we ain’t Austin.

/I’ll take Austin over Berzerkley, CA any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

john1schn on April 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Several of us have been saying for months that one state has to volunteer to lead. Damn proud it is the Lone Star throwing out the first pitch. I can think of a few other states that will join the line, Oklahoma, Utah, and our kin in the great state of South Carolina.

Where the hell is the popcorn?

Limerick on April 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM

The eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the live long day.
The eyes of Texas are upon you,
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them,
At night, or early in the morn’.
The eyes of Texas are upon you,
Till Gabriel blows his horn!

Limerick on April 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM

The eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the live long day.
The eyes of Texas are upon you,
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them,
At night, or early in the morn’.
The eyes of Texas are upon you,
Till Gabriel blows his horn!
Limerick on April 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM

^^^^^^^^^
TEXAS FIGHT! :)

redridinghood on April 14, 2009 at 11:24 PM

After reading Rick Perry’s book “On My Honor” I have to say he is a stand up guy – the Bilderberger allegations notwithstanding. Defending the Tenth Amendment is also a stand up move. The Federal government has ignored the Tenth Amendment for a long time and clearly has taken authority that is not constitutional. We have to put a stop to this someplace and I am pleased to see Governor Perry taking this stand. We will see what comes of it, though, but I’d love it if it became a sustained effort that resulted in Federal authority usurpation of state’s rights being challenged at the SCOTUS level.

tballard on April 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM

The left now controls the Army and what do we have, a piece of paper? Yeah, that’s always worked so well in the past.

logis on April 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I think you sell the Army short there, Logis.
That “piece of paper” is exactly what anyone in the military has sworn to defend and ally themselves to. Most – if not all – mean that with all their heart, mind, body, and soul.

This is not yet Nazi Germany. U.S. soldiers are not going to take orders against American civilians too soon.

kybowexar on April 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM

“To defend the Constitution from enemies foreign AND domestic”.

That doesn’t mean the patriotic people of the United States, but I’d say an over-reaching Marxist government that calls the constitution “a fatally flawed document” would clearly qualify.

BobUSMC on April 15, 2009 at 4:03 AM

If Enough voices rise in opposition to Obama, we may save the nation. I have to go to bed, so I can get up for the tea party.

darktood on April 15, 2009 at 4:46 AM

As much as I’d like to vote for Kay, a fellow Longhorn, Rick just got my vote. Gig ‘em. I never, ever, thought I’d use those two words. HOOK ‘EM HORNS.

bravecowboy on April 15, 2009 at 5:46 AM

God Bless Texas. Hopefully our state follows through with his words.

tx2654 on April 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Gov. Perry certainly is an ambitious fellow. We know about Perry and his “HPV” (human papillomavirus)type stunts down here in TX. I’ve been very critical of him:

But at least he’s gutsy and loud mouthed enough to take on the task. Anyone who does take on the dem’s in 2012 and expects to win will have to be an “envelope pusher”. And Perry can do that. If he will. This is definitely a good start. DD

Darvin Dowdy on April 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM