Video: Did Bernie Goldberg “smack down” Sean Hannity?

posted at 8:48 am on April 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Right after Sean Hannity’s show aired on the East Coast, I began to get mail describing a supposed smackdown by Bernie Goldberg on his host for not giving Barack Obama credit in the rescue of Captain Richard Phillips from pirates this weekend. I waited until I could watch the segment myself and sat through all seven minutes of it. I don’t see a smackdown — in fact, Bernie goes out of his way to remain polite, and Sean mostly sticks to his guns — but I did see a good debate, and one mirrored on the Right this week:

For my part, I agree with Bernie here. I have some criticisms about the way the crisis was handled initially, including negotiations with Somali “elders” and the pirates themselves, although one reader suggested that Obama may have used that time to get the Navy SEALs in position. In the end, Obama made the right call and resolved the crisis in the proper way, and managed to rescue the hostage to boot. Jimmy Carter spent 444 days not resolving a hostage crisis properly, and to this day still thinks he did the right thing. At least Obama learned quickly.

When things go wrong, we blame the Commander in Chief, and therefore when things go right, he gets the credit. This is how the game is played, Bernie reminds Sean, and pointedly suggests that Sean may have taken the lead in tossing blame had things gone badly. That would have been perfectly legitimate, too, so denying Obama credit for success in this instance seems churlish and bitter.

Watch for a good Casablanca reference when Bernie talks about the media.  They’re blowing the success out of proportion, of course, but anyone shocked by that hasn’t been paying attention.  We’d be better off pointing out that aspect of the coverage rather than deny the obvious.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bernie Goldberg was right. Even if most of you don’t think Obama deserves the credit (and I don’t know anyone who thinks he deserves all the credit), how many people here can honestly say that they wouldn’t have blamed Obama had this gone wrong?

Uh huh.

YYZ on April 14, 2009 at 7:56 PM

I understand, respect & agree with both Sean & Bernie’s stance on this issue. Both are right.

The problem with the left is you give them an inch & before the week is over they are nominating O for the Nobel Peace Prize.

redridinghood on April 14, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Barry should be congratulated (not praised) for doing the job he was hired to do.

Next crisis…..right around the bend.

omnipotent on April 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Depends on why they went wrong, just like Bernie said. Of course, I agree with Bernie on all phases of his argument.

Hannity bothers me because he thinks he’s a better debater than he is.

Axeman on April 14, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I see both of their points, but I side with Bernie on this one. Even though Hannity was right how ridiculous it is for the media to be singing Obama such praises for doing his job, in the end he still did the right thing.

Yes, I had extremely low expectations of Obama and yes, Obama seemed like he was hesitant to use force (the pirate made it to 20 miles from the coast) but in the end, everything went well. Obama has pleased me by not pulling out of Iraq immediately, sending more troops to the AfPak effort and reversing hismelf on the surveillance issue. There is plenty about him that has me concerned when it comes to defense but there are certain areas where I have breathed a sigh of relief.

Daemonocracy on April 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM

lol.. oh those Carter days. I miss that Billy Beer. heh.

Hannity is just getting anxious because Beck is closing in on him in the ratings so he’s trying too hard to create a crisis.

popularpeoplesfront on April 14, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I have a bias towards those who agree with me, so I agree with Bernie. To me, Sean seems to be speaking more as an ideologue than as an student of politics or as an objective evaluator of Presidential performance.

You show your butt when you don’t give credit when it is due.

vnjagvet on April 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM

That’s the last time we’ll see Bernie on Hannity. But Bob Beckel will always be welcome.

darwin-t on April 15, 2009 at 6:17 AM

Sean Hannity has become an ass. Yeah, his core values are are in the right place, but his political persona like O’Really’s is blowhard. I like the metaphor of someone’s ego being large enough to have his own magnetic field.
Randy
At least Rush has some “sincere” self deprecating humor.

williars on April 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Obama has a proven track record of being ducking the issue when it doesn’t make him look good, as well as stealing all the credit for anything positive. So it’s my bet that Obama and his flying monkeys at the White House were fully prepared to dump all the blame on Commander Castellano, the skipper of the USS Bainbridge, if any part of the hostage rescue went wrong. In other words, we’ve got a two-faced sonofabitch for a POTUS.

Thank God today’s Tea Parties all over the USA show that Obama will be facing a veto-proof Republican House & Senate after the 2010 midterm elections. Then he & Greazy Joe Biden can sit in the White House with their thumbs up their asses for the next two years until they’re inevitably voted out in a landslide.

Go Navy! Kill Pirates!

CatchAll on April 15, 2009 at 5:10 PM

There’s a reason Glenn Beck is doing well in his time slot on Fox. He’s actually a lot better waste of my time then Hannity.
I haven’t listened to Hannity in over 6 months or so because he got so damn repetitive.

scrubbiedude on April 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM