Video: Angry guy dressed as Founding Father does tea-party promo for Fox News

posted at 9:45 pm on April 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

Another party appetizer for the HA faithful, since I know a lot of you love this guy. Consider this a microcosm of how the parties have evolved: “Thomas Paine” began last summer as a grassroots phenomenon, with almost three million views on YouTube, and now he’s been gobbled up by FNC, enticed here into plugging Hannity’s appearance at the Atlanta party on Fox’s website. Over in the Greenroom, CK MacLeod says he’s got a bad feeling about this:

[W]hen FNC turns itself into the Tea Party Network tomorrow, having built up to it with a series of completely one-sided promos, it doesn’t just make “fair and balanced” into a joke, but threatens to undermine if not overwhelm a nascent movement of citizens and make it look like what the Obamanauts will dismiss it as being – a manufactured tool of the already committed Right…

I know the “other side” has virtually the entire mainstream media working for it, but will Fox’s approach help shame the MSM, whose reach is by definition much wider than any cable network’s, into covering the Tea Parties and what they represent, or will it instead make reporters, producers, and, most important, viewers feel more comfortable in dismissing them?…

Obama’s personal popularity far exceeds the popularity of his program, which means that polarizing the opposition to it, pouring it into pre-fabricated “right” and “left” partisan positions, is disadvantageous to the movement.

The tea parties may be good for Fox, in other words, but that doesn’t mean Fox is good for the tea parties. It’s a provocative point; I’m curious to see what readers think of it. Vote it out below the clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Fox News is a joke like your tea parties.

getalife on April 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Q.E.D.

AUINSC on April 14, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I, for one, don’t give a damn who sponsers these things. I’m going to my local shindig regardless of the chance of a buffet table.

EZnSF on April 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM

And yes, Fox News kills the movement’s credibility unfortunately

If I’m not mistaken FNC is sending representative of their network to the Tea Parties. They also sent representatives to the DNCC and RNCC to report or give commentary from them and were not the sponsors of either of those gatherings. Reporting and giving commentary does not make them sponsors. Maybe I have missed the “brought to you by FNC” commercials but I don’t think so. If FNC was not reporting or commenting about these gatherings they would be largely ignored. By the simple fact that they are showing up forces the other networks hand. IMHO

thomasaur on April 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Next party, Northern Florida. Hopefully it won’t be during the really hot weather. Obviously your girlfriend is welcome to come also.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 10:47 PM

oh wow, the NYC City Hall Tea Party’s from 7pm-9. hmmm…

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Not unless im goin with Cindy, i thought we already established this. =P

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Cindy or not, Ernesto, your country needs you.

Ten years from now, will you look down the long hallways of your own life’s history and say, “I joined the swaths of patriots in the rebuttal of government expansion!”

Or, will you say with timid self-disappointment, “I stood idle.”

“I stood idle.”

blatantblue on April 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Cool beans. I just found out there is a last minute tea party in my town! Yay….ernesto, I need a cheer!

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

We are doomed to fail until the Right wakes up and stops worrying and trying to manage what the Left thinks or says about the Right. That’s playing the Left’s game by the Left’s rules and it is doomed to failure.

TheBigOldDog on April 14, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Amen

EZnSF on April 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Where will you be?

R D on April 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

oh wow, the NYC City Hall Tea Party’s from 7pm-9. hmmm…

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Go. Go. Do it, Ernesto. You know you want to. Do it. Do it.

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM

ERNESTO,

I,

Thomas BlatantBlue, beg you to attend these gatherings of the devoted.

Stand firm with your fellow Americans in staunch refusal of the plate you’ve been given!

Rise! Be not afraid of your detractors! Your urbanite critics are irrelevant! The court of history will judge you!

blatantblue on April 14, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Ernesto, gird your loins!

Gird them well, and gird them hard.

Attend that rally!

blatantblue on April 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM

If you do not, your girlfriend WILL dump you.

Cindy Munford WILL hate you.

And I, Thomas, will forever roll in my grave.

SO JUST F*CKIN GO TO THE RALLY, WILL YA’?

blatantblue on April 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Fox News covers them, hatred of big government is a product of ‘corporations’ and right-wing terrorists? I’m not sure I follow. –chicagojedi on April 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

It’s not that Fox is covering them… it’s that Fox and their personalities are pimping them to the point that someone might be forgiven for thinking that they are Fox-sponsored events. The “grassroots” nature of the movement is its most powerful (and, if you’re a leftist, frightening) feature… Fox/Hannity/Beck/et al are forging an association with powerful corporate media interests in people’s minds, eroding the movements biggest strength.

It’s fun to sit around and say “who cares what other people think”, but in this case perception is incredibly important. Fox coverage is great, fine, go for it… but there are lines where it becomes more about what’s good for Fox and less about what is good for the movement (as Allah pointed out).

DaveS on April 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I don’t consider this a partisan thing because I have been angry since TARP I and that was W. No more bailouts, no more government interference in the rise and fall of businesses. Just keep them honest and stop using them as ATM’s.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM

oh wow, the NYC City Hall Tea Party’s from 7pm-9. hmmm…

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 10:47 PM

It’s a sign!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM

blatantblue on April 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM

alright alright you win!

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I’ve changed my plans. I’m going to Sacramento to see MM and Neil Cavuto. There is a Tea Party about 150 miles closer in Redding, but hey, it’s Michelle Malkin and Neil Cavuto. What a deal!

R D on April 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM

When you go to Hannity’s page, the first thing you see there is a big display telling you to go to his forums to organize tea parties. Why not just link to the kinda-sorta “official” site?

DaveS on April 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

I am having a hard time deciding what to put on my sign…there’s so much I want to ‘say’.

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

It’s a sign!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Maybe, but i’ll have no one with whom to kill the 2 hours between work and anti-tax revolution over an ice cold IPA…i just hope you know that.

Seriously though, in the name of science ill go study these events. but i swear if i wind up on some DHS list im ratting y’all out. ESPECIALLY blatantblue.

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Keep it simple “We The People”.

thomasaur on April 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM

DaveS on April 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Like I said before, this is now all about gasbag Hannity.

Knucklehead on April 14, 2009 at 11:01 PM

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Keep it simple “We The People”.

thomasaur on April 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM

May I suggest: Don’t Tread On Me.

R D on April 14, 2009 at 11:02 PM

alright alright you win!

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM

F’n awesome.

Spirit of 1776 on April 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM

That would be funny.

DaveS on April 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

SShhh! Don’t tell anybody I said this but if anyone was going to use this as self promotion it is the person in your post.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Keep it simple “We The People”.

thomasaur on April 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM
May I suggest: Don’t Tread On Me.

R D on April 14, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Great idea, two sides, two statements.

thomasaur on April 14, 2009 at 11:04 PM

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Don’t make me stop this car ernesto!!!!!

Now you listen to me, I’m getting up in the morning, getting dressed and taking the train to downtown Chicago ALONE!!!! Now stop your sniveling and GO, you country will thank you!!!

Knucklehead on April 14, 2009 at 11:06 PM

ernesto on April 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM

IPA?

I like your style

blatantblue on April 14, 2009 at 11:07 PM

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

I got a poster of the Constitution at a teacher supply store. I plan to mount it and spell out. “Could you read this, please” next to it. I thought I would do a two side one. How about “HotAir a great blog and an unfortunate byproduct of Congress”

My daughters said it was dumb so you won’t hurt my feelings if you agree.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Rat me out!

I’ll take any old government blue suit that comes my way.

Let’s just say

“I’m well prepared.”

blatantblue on April 14, 2009 at 11:08 PM

How about “HotAir a great blog and an unfortunate byproduct of Congress”

lol

Spirit of 1776 on April 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM

My daughters said it was dumb so you won’t hurt my feelings if you agree.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I think that is a great idea. I wish I had thought of that. I bought a poster that looks like a scroll and I might put, ‘We ARE the people’ and on the other side, put ‘Next time, read the bill before you sign it.’

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Keep it simple “We The People”.

thomasaur on April 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM
May I suggest: Don’t Tread On Me.

R D on April 14, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Great idea, two sides, two statements.

thomasaur on April 14, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I like those too!

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 11:14 PM

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I think that is excellent. Those are two big reasons I am going tomorrow.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I hope everyone is meeting back here tomorrow to compare notes!!!!

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Will be here. Should be fun. Our tea party is on the corner of the busiest intersection in our small town. No park for us, we are going hardcore.

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I’m really not concerned with the “perception” issue. Fox needs to do this because the rest of the media will try to ignore it, or just focus on any negative isolated incident that may happen. I’m much more concerned about lefties infiltrating to make us look like haters, or vandalizing (as they often do) and then getting their asses kicked, and having that be the story the MSM covers.

And watch Hussein make some big move or announcement the next day or even tomorrow evening, just to upstage the tea parties and get them out of the news ASAP.

RightWinged on April 14, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I hope everyone is meeting back here tomorrow to compare notes!!!!

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Indeed, cindy.

blatantblue on April 14, 2009 at 11:19 PM

RightWinged on April 14, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Already planned. They have been ‘debriefing’ the captain of the Mearsk Alabama for two days and guess when the hero comes home, ding ding ding. Tomorrow. I am happy that he is coming home, but I smell a rat. A big, ugly black one with big ears.

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Our location had a Fair Tax rally on Saturday with Boortz. I didn’t go but the paper said four thousand and it looked pretty crowded. Tomorrow is going to be perfect weather and we will be at a location by the river. Should be fun.

Cindy Munford on April 14, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Code pink is showing up to the Santa Monica tea party, so I’m going to the El Segundo one, God forbid I ever run into that group.

SoxNation on April 14, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I think the Santa Monica one will be real interesting. That town is populated by all types, but has a real bounty of leftist without much to do. El Segnndo will likely be more uniform in thought and less contentious. I may visit both to see.

bagoh20 on April 14, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Imagine if we didn’t have Hannity, Beck, Rush, Levin & Fox News … we really would be the silent minority.

Hopefully, we can take this country back & be the vocal majority.

redridinghood on April 14, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Hopefully, we can take this country back & be the vocal majority.

redridinghood on April 14, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Tomorrow. We will hear the silent majority.

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Of course you do. The libs and Dear Leader are so scared of a “few” people, to quote the trolls here, that they are on an all out campaign to quash the news.

R D on April 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I’m guessing these liberal trolls are coming over from bobcesca.com…Go over there if you want to get a good dose of crazy.

therightwinger on April 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Allah allows the trolls to stay here. Even had some assbag talk about killing a cat on the rush thread. We don’t have to go far to see a good dose of crazy. Just hop on a rush or palin thread.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I agree with CK. Fox News could have just stuck to the covering the gatherings. There was no need to send their personalities. The last thing the Tea Parties need is to be stereotyped as right wing gatherings. Here in Dallas the organizers have done a great job in making sure that they are not a partisan movement. They are just concerned about the out of control spending, the bailouts and an ever growing federal government. Fox and Hannity getting involved is not good.

Chekote on April 15, 2009 at 12:03 AM

therightwinger on April 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I’m going to bed. I read his entries and all I have to say is

Nightmares are five minutes out.

ETA – 1209 PM.

blatantblue on April 15, 2009 at 12:04 AM

I have much hope for ernesto. Ladies and Gentlemen, we can fix him.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Why do you always call him angry AP?

Just because someone believes in something with passion doesn’t make them angry.

amend2 on April 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM

It was inevitable that people would latch onto the tea parties. Even Michael Steele and the RNC are claiming ownership — they sent an e-mail today about the “GOP Tea Party”. It doesn’t matter, we know this is a grassroots movement.

joe_doufu on April 15, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I am having a hard time deciding what to put on my sign…there’s so much I want to ’say’.

HornetSting on April 14, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Obama = Tampon User Whatever Janet wants of you…

Upstater85 on April 15, 2009 at 12:21 AM

To tell the truth, I am offput by a guy with a fake Internet name calling the video “angry guy dressed as founding father” all the time.

How about this for a headline:

“Smart ass guy vaguely named after a terrorist’s God making fun of the founding fathers.”

How’s that for a headline, eh, “Allahpundit?”

Warner Todd Huston on April 15, 2009 at 12:24 AM

joe_doufu on April 15, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Screw Michael Steele and the RNC. They are backing a rino, the reason we are in this mess in the first place with the tarp bailout. They don’t own this. They don’t matter. This is ours.

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Geez. It could be worse. We could live in Minnesota and have stewart smalley representing us…..

HornetSting on April 15, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Good grief. Now the RNC is getting involved? That’ll we need for the GOP to rub some of its bad brand on the Tea Parties. All we need is for the SoCons to come along and claim that the Boston Tea Party was about saving the unborn.

Chekote on April 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Turned out it was.

CK MacLeod on April 15, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Warner Todd Huston on April 15, 2009 at 12:24 AM

See that sign over the door that says “EXIT”? It’s English. It means “this is where you go to get the hell out”.

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM

The left and the MSM will denigrate anyone who opposes higher taxes and more intrusive government. Everyone should expect that they will try to silence any opposition to their agenda through intimidation ridicule and act of law if they can pass it. So what! Didn’t the British do the same against the partriots who gave birth to our nation? Look whose argument prevailed in the minds of the people.

KW64 on April 15, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Today is going to be so *awesome*.

Punchenko on April 15, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Y’know, I like this guy. I video blog myself (as you can see from the link in my name below), but I don’t wear a wig to do it. Maybe I should, because I have a face for radio.

Black Adam on April 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Just slightly off topic: I live in a little podunk town in the middle of nowhere, NM. I just visited the website of our local little newspaper and read the short blurb about our local “Tea Party” gathering.

Of the 40 comments about the article (prior to mine), only one local person had commented. There were a few from neighboring communities, but by far most of the comments, ranting about ‘silly, evil rethuglicans’, came from places a thousand miles away (in various directions).

I can only conclude that ACORN or Moveon or something similar assigned people to search across the nation for articles and disparage any news about the gatherings.

They are really afraid of this grass roots movement for some reason.

LegendHasIt on April 15, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Fox News is a joke like your tea parties.

getalife on April 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

GAL, your demeanor is slowing turning. It’s hard to not unload on us with all of that pent up liberal rage isn’t it?

BTW, you’re a joke. If you can’t actually look and see that even with it’s leanings, FNC is still by far the most fair news network out there, then you’re no more objective than the propaganda put out by MSNBC and their stable of Air America has beens.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Fox News is a joke like your tea parties.

getalife on April 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Yes. Good.

Your fear and hate has made you powerful.

Now strike me down with your anger and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete.

Good Lt on April 15, 2009 at 7:50 AM

I agree and instead of promoting these events they should have just covered them as a news organization should. Fox News has lost credibility with me due to their promotion of these events. They are now in the same category of the media the promoted the anti-war events for me now and no longer a news organization.

JeffinSac on April 15, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I have much hope for ernesto. Ladies and Gentlemen, we can fix him.

carbon_footprint on April 15, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Fix me? what’s fixing me entail…

ernesto on April 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM

How do you “lose credibility” in a medium already ruined beyond repair? Who is judging this loss of credibility? FNC and talk radio are the only ways I can hear like minded folks talk to issues important TO ME, a taxpayer in the 33% bracket.

Ris4victory on April 15, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Oooo, yer scary MadisonConservative. A tough guy that blies anything Madison ever stood for. Nice.

Warner Todd Huston on April 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM

I agree. Fox is a problem.

AnninCA on April 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM

AUINSC on April 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Al in St. Lou on April 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM

MadisonConservative on April 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Making snarky comments to AP seems to be a tradition ’round these here parts.

Al in St. Lou on April 15, 2009 at 2:12 PM