Media goes berserk over Obama’s dog

posted at 6:05 pm on April 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

Live on the scene, Jake Tapper tweets in horror:

when u see the shots of the media scrum filming this pooch u will be embarrassed for us. And the ghost Edward R Murrow will rise to haunt

Think he’s kidding? Watch the short CNN clip below and see for yourself how far the line of media stretched. Or, for extra gushiness, go with the MSNBC vid replete with anchor “commentary.” I’m also giving you a photo that I screencapped from WaPo’s live feed of the unveiling. It was at this exact moment that The One finally took the reins from one of his daughters and a patiently waiting photographer in the scrum could be heard exclaiming, “There, now he’s got the leash!”

Newt Gingrich thinks the whole story’s “fairly stupid.” Meanie.

Update: Ed sends this reminder of another great moment in presidential pet-owning history.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I personally think he should have gotten a WHITE dog.
This would satisfy all cultural bases.

Badger40 on April 15, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Not a yellow one?

Count to 10 on April 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I have one of these dogs. I bet you’re right. My Portuguese water dog is so smart. Politics aside, I’m glad to see the Obamas’ dog. Porties are the best! Great choice for the girls.

Cpoy2 on April 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I’d say go with a Labrador, but they can be very protective, and are not very diplomatic with strangers.

Count to 10 on April 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I heard the girls named the dog “Bo” because their grandfather had been nicknamed “Diddly”.

Plausible, anyone?

ladyingray on April 15, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Did he have to name the dog after HIMSELF? Geesh.

patriette on April 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM

It’s a rare case when I think I have a better subtitle then the one writte by AP.

Puppies.

radiofreevillage on April 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Count to 10 on April 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Is this to pacify the Asian voting base?
Should we ask Mrs. Malkin about this one?

Badger40 on April 15, 2009 at 5:31 PM

A six month old puppy is a lot of work, though, so I hope they have a plan on how to train it.

Y-not on April 14, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Do you really think the Obama’s are going to train this pup…which has already been with trainers at Uncle Teddy’s for the last 3 months (you’d think he’d be a little better behaved)? This is the man who keeps his thermostat at orchid levels, eats $100/lb wagyu beef, and brings in a pizza chef from 850 miles away…and you think BO is going to take “BO” out to poopie in the morning…what, and miss his beauty sleep and his 90 minute work out??? I. Don’t. Think. So.

Obama will appoint a Portuguese BO “czar” by morning!

marybel on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Do you really think the Obama’s are going to train this pup…
marybel on April 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM

In all honesty, I suspect that the dog will get about the same amount of attention as half the dogs in my neighborhood, which is not enough. I think many people get dogs without preparing properly for them. They justify their actions by telling themselves that they have “rescued” a dog from an animal shelter, but do not put the time into it that they need should.

I don’t fault the Obamas for getting a pure bred dog (even though I recognize the hypocrisy in him trying to gain points by saying he’d get a shelter dog). In fact, I think working with a breeder is the smart thing to do in their situation — a busy family with little to no experience owning a dog (as far as I know). I’m not sure that this particular breed of dog is the best choice for inexperienced dog owners, but I hope to goodness that it works out.

The girls seem happy and I hope that they learn about responsibility and discipline by having a dog to care for. That doesn’t change one iota what I think about their horrible parents, but I wish the girls — and the dog — well.

Y-not on April 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM

To say that I don’t care about whether or not the Obama’s have a dog which Fearless Leader narcissistically named after himself is to run to the rim of the Grand Canyon, survey it, then declare it cute. It doesn’t do it justice.

Driefromseattle on April 16, 2009 at 12:04 AM

My God, it’s pre Revolutionary France, all over again.

CNN: “It’s not news unless we want it to be news.”

Aliens could be attacking Washington, but if any one of them expresses a liberal view, it’ll be buried by a feature of Shiny Object Of The Day. Days later, with the ashes of our capital in the wind, CNN will be on the scene with a contemptuous journalist asking survivors how Obama inherited an alien attack from “the previous administration,” and, in their stunned silence, tell them exactly how privileged they are to live under such a gracious overlord.

CNN, circa 1776: “What? There was a revolution? Impossible. I’m sure we would have heard it. No such thing as an American Revolution. Now, our headline story, a feature starring our magnificent King’s new puppy….”

CatsGodot on April 16, 2009 at 2:31 AM