American Legion to Napolitano: Apologize

posted at 12:55 pm on April 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Of all the smears listed in the new DHS warning about “right-wing extremism,” none are more dastardly and despicable than the insinuation that returning military veterans represent a security threat to the nation they willingly served. The Commander of the American Legion has sent the following letter to DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano explaining to her that military veterans are not the enemy:

Secretary Janet Napolitano
Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Washington, DC 20528

April 13, 2009

Dear Secretary Napolitano,

On behalf of the 2.6 million-member American Legion, I am stating my concern about your April 7 report, “Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence and Recruitment.”

First, I want to assure you that The American Legion has long shared your concern about white supremacist and anti-government groups. In 1923, when the Ku Klux Klan still yielded unspeakable influence in this country, The American Legion passed Resolution 407. It resolved, in part, “…we consider any individual, group of individuals or organizations, which creates, or fosters racial, religious or class strife among our people, or which takes into their own hands the enforcement of law, determination of guilt, or infliction of punishment, to be un-American, a menace to our liberties, and destructive to our fundamental law…”

The best that I can say about your recent report is that it is incomplete. The report states, without any statistical evidence, “The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists capable of carrying out violent attacks.”

The American Legion is well aware and horrified at the pain inflicted during the Oklahoma City bombing, but Timothy McVeigh was only one of more than 42 million veterans who have worn this nation’s uniform during wartime. To continue to use McVeigh as an example of the stereotypical “disgruntled military veteran” is as unfair as using Osama bin Laden as the sole example of Islam.

Your report states that “Rightwing extremists were concerned during the 1990s with the perception that illegal immigrants were taking away American jobs through their willingness to work at significantly lower wages.” Secretary Napolitano, this is more than a perception to those who have lost their job. Would you categorize union members as “Right Wing extremists”?

In spite of this incomplete, and, I fear, politically-biased report, The American Legion and the Department of Homeland Security share many common and crucial interests, such as the Citizen Corps and disaster preparedness. Since you are a graduate of New Mexico Girls State, I trust that you are very familiar with The American Legion. I would be happy to meet with you at a time of mutual convenience to discuss issues such as border security and the war on terrorism. I think it is important for all of us to remember that Americans are not the enemy. The terrorists are.

Sincerely,

David K. Rehbein
National Commander
The American Legion

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Screw apologize, resign

Rogue on April 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM

He needs to include the rest of us, as well.

Mommypundit on April 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

This is how the left has ALWAYS portrayed us. They despise the military and spit on us EVERY CHANCE THEY GET.

dogsoldier on April 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I agree with Rogue. Can we tell Obama to resign, too?

Mommypundit on April 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Here we go again

Kini on April 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for fighting for your country. We’ll just need a check for your health insurance. And put on this tracking device. We don’t trust you.

BadgerHawk on April 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

You bet.

But hey, it’s not like this sort of smearing of troops is serial, or anything. Right?

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Oabama and his volcano of disrespect started it. He wanted to not pay their VA healthcare. I am not suprized that his people follow with disrespect.

seven on April 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Good for the Legion. The White House is apparently feeling heat, as it’s already distancing itself from the report.

amerpundit on April 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

They don’t count military votes so why not make them enemies of the state? I wonder at what point the left realizes what nitwits they are for voting for B-HO and his insane clown cabinet.

Mojave Mark on April 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

David K. Rehbein
National Commander
The American Legion

Standing ovation to this man!!!!

This woman has insulted many members of my family…who also served this nation.

capejasmine on April 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Love it…..nice wrap up using the word “terrorists”. Take that, Janet.

sherry on April 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

It shouldn’t just be the legion, it should be ALL Veteran groups.

upinak on April 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

“…any individual, group of individuals or organizations, which creates, or fosters racial, religious or class strife among our people, or which takes into their own hands the enforcement of law, determination of guilt, or infliction of punishment,”

Libs, in a nutshell.

Christien on April 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Hear, hear!

TexAz on April 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Napolitano and Osama Obama need to go.

This nation has not faced a greater threat to its survival since the Civil War. If the child-president continues down his current path, we may look back to 1860-65 as nothing more than a minor unpleasantness.

MrScribbler on April 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Thank you Mr. Rehbein for standing up for our military. I hope, but doubt, you will hear from napolitano.
L

letget on April 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM

amerpundit on April 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I think the damage is done…Napolitano must resign immediately. This ‘report’ is a fiasco.

AUINSC on April 14, 2009 at 1:02 PM

The Left has controlled the media for so long they must have thought since people never said anything before they could go right on with their liberal fantasies of reality when they actually had power. You have to actually prove stuff now liberals, quoting a single case and some stats might cut it for a news report but it’s takes a bit more than that when you actually expect people to agree with you.

Rocks on April 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Always remember – the foundation of Socialism is class warfare and the pitting of segments of society against each other.

They want a society of informers. A society where Americans question each other, but not the State.

The enemy of Socialism – is Americans.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

First, Mr. Pantywaist wanted veterans to pay for their own health care after being wounded in battle………..

……. then their absentee ballots were lost in the mail.

Now he wants them “watched” when they return home after serving their country…………….

Is it me, or do I see a pattern here?

Seven Percent Solution on April 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Sounds like what happens daily in our universities. Will DHS investigate college professors who villify Zionists and encourage Islamic terrorism?

Disturb the Universe on April 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

amerpundit on April 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Distancing seems to be SOP at Team Obama.

I’m trying to remember how many times Mr. Y-not and I were able to “distance” ourselves from the mistakes of our subordinates. Amazing. The Won seems to think his job is to roam around the country collecting honorary doctorates or something.

Y-not on April 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I’d link the WH statement from the Washington Times, but the site is apparently getting killed by Drudge traffic. It’s his top, featured story with a nice ‘ol picture of Napolitano.

amerpundit on April 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM

The degree to which these bureaucrats have lost their focus is incredible. Because of political correctness and multiculturalism, there is only one enemy to the State apparently: white Christian males.

pat on April 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Ouch. This guy did some research. This is a great program that the state American Legion chapters operate in many states for a week each summer for high school boys and girls. My dad was selected to represent his high school in California in the late 1940s. And I was selected to represent my high school in Ohio in the late 1970s. It was a great experience.

Anyway, it’s a great dig at this moron. And shame on her for dissing veterans. They do little, if any, wrong in my book.

I hope there is tremendous fallout for her and the Obama administration over this.

BuckeyeSam on April 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on April 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Forget Saul Alinsky. The Won seems more interested in emulating Pol Pot.

Y-not on April 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I think it is important for all of us to remember that Americans are not the enemy. The terrorists Congress are.

I know this was what he was really thinking.

Badger40 on April 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Will Janet be needing a bus-proof vest?

SKYFOX on April 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

dare we hope this gets janet “under the bus?”

/eternal optimist

Buckaroo on April 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

The Won seems more interested in emulating Pol Pot.

Y-not on April 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Come now. Surely you are not insinuating that he could become a mass murderer?
That could never happen.
After all, Hitler never started out this way.
Excuse me while I laugh up my lunch.

Badger40 on April 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM

As an Arizona resident who has observed Madam Homeland Secretary’s actions as AG and Governor of AZ for many years, make no mistake about it. She is openly hostile to conservatives and is in ideological lock step with President Obama. She will politicize the Dept of HS like no one before and will do everything in her power to give amnesty to all illegal aliens soley as a means to gather these new potential voters into the Democratic fold.

DrW on April 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM

amerpundit on April 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Mmm hm. For Barry, the buck always stops over there somewhere.

Rae on April 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Thanks for reporting this followup.

Spirit of 1776 on April 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I would suggest that any and all whom are part of any Veteran Organization, or if you are the friend of a Veteran, send this to them so they know.

Ed, thanks for posting this. I have sent it to all the Vet Orgs here in my State. Pretty pathetic!

upinak on April 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM

It was in the news this week that Penn State had, as part of some HR or faculty exercise, a fictionalized scenario dealing with a “veteran” who apparently couldn’t deal with the fact that he was underperforming academically and the faculty member was worried about said veteran becoming violent.

This whole “veterans” thing is a disturbing meme.

BigD on April 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Whew!!

For a second after reading the headline, I thought this referred to Andrew Napolitano. Glad that wasn’t the case.

JohnGalt23 on April 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM

The only extremists that I can see are all in the Obama administration.

uhsooner on April 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM

KKK, the original Democrat terror group.

tarpon on April 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

… and commit to a rehab.

Look, I think the GOP got what they wanted. When you set up an Orwellian institution, you should think what will happen when it is controlled by your opponents.

That being said, can we think of something else to demand other than an apology? I don’t know about others but the minute I hear somebody demanding an apology, I tune out. Too many offended people these days.

radiofreevillage on April 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Napolitano resigning won’t fix a darn thing. There is a seemingly never ending supply of tax-cheating appeasers and America-haters to appoint to these positions. We got rid of Tom “If you’re old, just die” Daschle and got Kathleen “If you’re not born, just die” Sebilis instead. Who know what whacko he’d force through the next time.

PastorJon on April 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

David K. Rehbein
National Commander
The American Legion

This is the same guy who faced down the child-president over the administration’s attemp to force vets to pay for their war injuries.

No rest for the Old Warrior in these times, I guess.

pseudonominus on April 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

What is going on here? First Missouri’s state government releases a report labeling people who affiliate with 3rd party groups like the Libertarian Party, and Rep Ron Paul, could be militia members and dangerous to the country. Now we have the federal government saying the same thing, but in much broader terms.

This is all very strange to me. Need more information.

Weebork on April 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Umbama’s Ministry of Distancing is on overdrive.

They have no problems calling US veterans ‘terrorists’. It’s the poor misunderstood jihadis who are ‘purveyors of man-made disasters.’

What happened to our country?

Urban Infidel on April 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

WTG, American Legion!

I hate to think that this is how our security is being handled these days. I suppose it’s possible that there are specific examples that go uncited in this document, but it seems more likely that it’s build upon assumptions and speculation. Take this example:

Monkeys COULD fly out of my butt, too. But probably won’t. Further, are they saying new firarms restrictions result in more guns in the hands of “extremists”? That’s almost an NRA point of view. DHS is getting closed to being labelled as a right wing extremist if they continue along that line of thinking.

hawksruleva on April 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Why is this such a surprise? This is what these people are about. They are against everything that is traditional and we all know that serving one’s country is traditional. These leftists are all about HATE.

bloggless on April 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I must say, Mr. Rehbein is a lot more polite than I would have been.

rbj on April 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Okay, here’s our pony. Now let’s ride it, as fast and hard as we can.

For openers, I’m faxing a copy of Commander Rehbein’s letter to my Congressional reps, together with a demand they call immediately for Napolitano’s resignation, along the lines of Ed’s recent post.

petefrt on April 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

“rbj on April 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM”

same here, which is what makes it all the more effective …

Buckaroo on April 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

“I joined the military after 9/11 to do my part and ensure the constitution was protected and our nation was never struck again. After the 2008 election I decided to start blogging, the balance of power in favor of the democrats was such that political resistance was clearly warranted. (To be honest if the GOP held 46 or 47 senate seats The 46 might never have been created) But now I find out that a baseless stereotype of veterans is being peddled by the DHS and that political opposition is equated with domestic terrorism. In this regards sign me up with the American Legion.”

I just posted that along with the entire letter found here.

rob verdi on April 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Will Janet be needing a bus-proof vest?

SKYFOX on April 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Ha. But no, this is just the DHS she inherited.

Spirit of 1776 on April 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Mmm hm. For Barry, the buck always stops over there somewhere.

Rae on April 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Unless it’s a hero-worship buck. Or actual bucks as in dollars, in which case Barry is determined to confiscate it in the name of “continued long term growth”.

hawksruleva on April 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Ed you JUST got mentioned on Rush! In my time zone.

upinak on April 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM

For me, what seems to be a bigger issue is the sudden emergence of this viewpoint behind the DHS report. I do not believe it is anything new, it wasn’t something that suddenly popped into existence once President Obama was sworn in. This sort of thinking has been there for a while now, but only now is it becoming into the public.

Very strange indeed.

Weebork on April 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM

The new Department of Homeland Fascism.

drjohn on April 14, 2009 at 1:18 PM

It’s getting crowded under the bus.

Of course, there’s nothing to fear from former bomber Bill Ayers, since he and Barry had lots of kissyface time together.

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Napolitano resigning won’t fix a darn thing.

PastorJon on April 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

The point of demanding her resignation is not to get it, so much as to call public attention the the threat to our freedom she and her cohorts are mounting.

petefrt on April 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Napolitano should resign in disgrace.

Christien on April 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

All Points Bulletin: Missing GOP Congressmen.

Not seen for the last few weeks.

faraway on April 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM

That bus is now a monster bus. Watch out…

upinak on April 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

All Rehbein needs is a bucket of tennis balls to throw at the traffic on his street to make them slow down.

Dave Rywall on April 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

“faraway on April 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM”

given their “helpfulness” over the last ~4 years, is this truly a bad thing?
:-(

Buckaroo on April 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

This smear campaign is part of a broader effort to demonize all of the right and impair its ability to win any more elections.

drjohn on April 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, that was really over the top and insulting. Unfortunately, idiots that lap up all those crappy movies Hollywood churns out think b.s. like this is real.

Blake on April 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

So… let me get this straight..

She won’t arrest illegal aliens with criminal records, but she will arrest the Governor of Texas and over half of the Texas Senate and House of Representatives?

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Barak Obama has utter contempt for veterans, utter contempt for the truth and utter contempt for America. The release of this report one day before historic mass protests across the country is an attempt to intimidate Americans and suppress attendance. Why is dissent no longer the highest form of patriotism? Why is dissent now considered terrorism?

We are in for some real trouble. I never in my wildest dreams believed that this could happen in America.

lonesomecharlie on April 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Attacking our military veterans returning from war.

It doesn’t get any worse than that.

She should have included left wing extremist government official policy makers such as herself as a cause.

DamnYankee on April 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Yes, to the veterans and to every other loyal American that is exercising their Constitutional right of political free speech and dissent. Napolitano is leftist fool.

rplat on April 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

This report is a disgrace to our country. Resign immediately.

Ted Torgerson on April 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I cant stand polite letters like this. She should be addressed as Janet Napolitano, not Dear Janet Napolitano. The final salutation should not say Sincerely, but something like , Demanding Immediate Action… The letter is also defensive as it draws comparisons to similar situations when in fact it should be wall-to-wall demands and all offense. You do not owe this employee of ours any explanations. This douchebag uber-lesbo works for us and not the other way around. Demand, don’t politely ask for what you want.

epluribusunum on April 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM

CALL YOUR SENATORS AND YOUR CONGRESSMEN. I think this may have leaked to intimidate people from attending tea parties tomorrow. Notice how they refer to working with local police and authorities. This is unbelievable. Downright scary.

bloggless on April 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I got it..
We’ll raise more TARP money by staging “the Barry Obama Monster Bus Rally!!” at the Coliseum!

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

If Obama and Napolitano are trying to frighten us they’ve failed . . . all this is doing is really pissing us off.

rplat on April 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

That bus is now a monster bus. Watch out…
upinak on April 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

That was your idea, upinak!

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Well put. Ms. Napolitano is yet another hack that has no idea of what they’re doing and the damage that painting with wide brushes does.

krl on April 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Hating military heroes is a job prerequisite for the Obama administration. Wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for an apology. If she does she’ll just qualify the report by saying “non-Obama voting veterans.”

Crusty on April 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Here comes Civil War Redux.
Wait for it.

Demand, don’t politely ask for what you want.

epluribusunum on April 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I agree. People need to start getting PO’d & SHOW it.
Anger breeds fear.
We need some fear from politicians. Maybe they’ll actually DO something.

Badger40 on April 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

This is an exact replay of what happened to Vietnam vets…the left demonized and dehumanized them…except now, the hippies are in charge of the government and have made their hate for veterans official policy.

AUINSC on April 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

bloggless on April 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM

IHMO, I believe it will have quite the opposite effect. Another very important reason to attend and dissent.

sherry on April 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Well, for the Tea Party tomorrow, I was wondering what to wear to it. This decides it for me, My VFW jacket with huge USMC emblem on back, with my Marine Corps League cover showing my service in Vietnam. But, I’ll wear a tie and dress shirt , too. Extremist am I?… come after me, tomorrow, then. Oh, I’m a member of the American Legion, Navy League, Naval Institute as well.

MNDavenotPC on April 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Here comes Civil War Redux.
Wait for it.
Badger40 on April 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I don’t know – do they serve hardtack scones at Starbucks?

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 1:31 PM

F$%* Janet Napolitano and the horse she rode in on.

It is my sincerest hope that veterans returning from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan get involved in the political process and run for elected office and have big government hacks like Napolitano run out of Washington for good.

Dreadnought223 on April 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM

We’re being prosecuted without any justification by left wing wacko.

jdun on April 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Wouldn’t that rule ban say most democrats?

kerncon on April 14, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Rahm, Rezko, Blago, Rev. Wright and all the “I made a mistake on my Income Tax by not paying for the last 20 years” crowd – they are “The Messiah’s Children To Save the Planet” – they don’t have to apologize to regular citizens………(this is a quote from Obama’s Auntie who lives in a $300,000 4-bedroom condo she got from Al Franken, Barney Frank and Nancy AAAAA-Cup Pelosi…………)

Cinday Blackburn on April 14, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Screw apologize, resign

Rogue on April 14, 2009 at 12:57 PM

repost-worthy

max1 on April 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I agree with Rogue. Can we tell Obama to resign, too?

Mommypundit on April 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

To this I have one word: Biden!

I always figured that choosing someone like that had to be a hedge against one of those omnipresent RightWingExtremist, disgruntled military acts of violence. Just ask DHS

OBQuiet on April 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

F$%* Janet Napolitano and the horse she rode in on.
Dreadnought223 on April 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I believe you’re thinking of Marilyn Chambers (who, sadly, passed away yesterday).

TexasJew on April 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

AUINSC on April 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

You are correct. When I came home in early 1975, every cop show and drama on TV had a crazed vet taking hostages, robbing banks or just killing people. And people believed it.

I was denied work, insulted and berated at school (on my GI bill) wearing my fatigues since they made up most of my wardrobe.

Now they are showing EVERYONE exactly what they really think about veterans and the military. (you know they just can’t get their brains around people like us)

DONT LET THEM DO TO OUR KIDS WHAT THEY DID TO US.

Dog

dogsoldier on April 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Love it…..nice wrap up using the word “terrorists”. Take that, Janet.

sherry on April 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Napolitano is incapable of understanding this. She is the one who wants to forego the use of the words terrorism and terrorist for the kinder, gentler euphemisms ‘man-caused disaster’ and, I guess ‘man-cause of disaster’. See, in the vision of those who come up with such newspeak absurdities, there is no difference between a crazy lone gunman who shoots up a Macdonalds, a train that derails because of negligence on the part of the engineer, or Mohammed Atta.

ProfessorMiao on April 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM

That’s what I thought. But it’s not going to scare me.

Alana on April 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

radiofreevillage on April 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

+100

JohnGalt23 on April 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Well crap, I guess that means I’ll have to stay in after all. It sure explains some things, though.

Otis B on April 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Hmmm, this sorta fits in with that egregious Penn State video, the one which counsels political activist profs that White Male Military Members are to be feared, graded poorly and reported to the Thought Police.

benrand on April 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM