What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 8:05 am on April 13, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

What was Barack Obama’s most significant, embarrassing, or amusing stumble last week? Inventing a new language? Getting ages wrong? Time to take the poll!

A couple of notes about the feature. I skipped the poll yesterday because I wanted to focus mainly on spiritual themes for Easter. Also, the OOTD may not appear every day; I had a good backlog of material for the first three weeks, but I want to look mainly forward from this point. Of course, if I’ve missed any, feel free to forward them to me!

Comments

It’s so hard to decide.

boomer on April 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM

ou HAVE to at least include him botching the “Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite” reference. Apparently the ‘prompter went out after “Fraternite” and after a five count, thge one looks to the crowd and says, emphatically, “Absolutely!”

Odd that it hasn’t gotten more play.

maladapted on April 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM

It is hard to decide. Too many choices. heh

becki51758 on April 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM

the turkey one, the president has very little knowledge of the world.

rob verdi on April 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Bankruptcies, because we’re going to be paying for that for a long time.

rbj on April 13, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I surprised that it wasn’t the bow to the Saudi king. Seems like the PotUS bowing to another head of state would be not only a gaffe, but a major embarrassment for the US in general.

Also, why no “iPod to the Queen of England”?

Are Obamateurisms spoken mis-steps only?

Geministorm on April 13, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Say it ain’t so Ed!

Not having any substantial criticisms – only petty, often weeks-old grievances – certainly didn’t stop you from posting this wonderful daily feature before.

I looked forward to another seven and half years of “I missed this at the time, but last January, Obama used the wrong fork for his salad, OMG OMG OMG”

I for one vote that OOTD remains a daily feature!

e-pirate on April 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Amazing blunders. And to think: we get almost four more years of this! Joy…

But really, “I’m not *quite* the messiah” is very amusing indeed, though Austrian is a language? comes in for a close second.

Aronne on April 13, 2009 at 8:40 AM

maladapted on April 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM

How to find? What to google? where to look?

geckomon on April 13, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Sprechen sie österreichisch, Herr Obama?

Logic on April 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM

The Austriangate is a good example of elitism overreach.The arugula ivy league on its ass.

the_nile on April 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Can we get an “All of the above” option on these polls?

Viper1 on April 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Geckoman -

This is the ONLY source of the video I could find googling “Obama Liberte Egalite Fraternite.” It has a French voiceover that you have to ignore.

This is a MAJOR howler, yet it seems that it’s being almost universally supressed.

I could be wrong, but I’d think the average college graduate could finish the phrase, let alone the smartest president in the history of Mankind.

maladapted on April 13, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Saul Alinsky would know.

Speakup on April 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM

The Messiah quote. His arrogance will the root of his downward spiral.

sherry on April 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Ed
Don’t blame you for wanting to “go forward”, but I do not think you will have any problems finding material. Judging by the night of the election when he told his weeping minions that they might have to wait for their check(well in so many words)to the convoluted press conference of the Admiral this whole administration is one huge, unfunny joke.
Unfortunately, we may never know what led up to the freeing of Capt. Phillips. Today is a new day and I am sure that the always glib, Robert Gibbs will be out there spinning his glorious tales about everything/anything Obama.

BetseyRoss on April 13, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I voted for “Austrian is a language”, as it took a real moron to come up with something like, but I feel the need to put a word in for saying that Turkey is older than America. The reason for the Turkey slip seems pretty simple – The Precedent thinks in terms of the caliphate, not the modern, secular (for a little while longer, at least) state. The ol’ muslim roots coming out, blossoming finally in that dive, face first, to the ground in front of the primitive from Saudi Arabia.

progressoverpeace on April 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM

How do you choose?

2nd Ammendment Mother on April 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Austrian.

Will there be an Obamateurism of the year award? With cake?

JohnTant on April 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Being half Austrian myself, the choice was easy.

I was expecting him to follow that up with the observation of how few kangaroos he saw in Austria.

kurtzz3 on April 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Bush misspeaks and we get a dozen jokes every night from the late night jokers. Obama pulls some equally, if not worse, boners and all we hear are crickets.

But then, everything is Bush’s fault, isn’t it?

kam582 on April 13, 2009 at 11:10 AM

But then, everything is Bush’s fault, isn’t it?

kam582 on April 13, 2009 at 11:10 AM

And he’s an evil idiot.

My hyperleftist sister still wants Bush, Cheney and Rove brought up on war crimes charges or at least sent to prison for the Valerie Plame incident (yes, I know. But no amount of logic and facts works with her…what do you want me to do about it?).

Geministorm on April 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM

But no amount of logic and facts works with her

Geministorm on April 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Lefties don’t respond to logic and facts; they respond to emotion. They also like rhymes (Bush lied; people died). They are easy to remember and spout off when the opposing side is marshalling evidence. Taunt her with rhymes. They’ll stick in her head and drive her nuts.

Disturb the Universe on April 13, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Taunt her with rhymes. They’ll stick in her head and drive her nuts.

Disturb the Universe on April 13, 2009 at 11:21 AM

LOL. And a good idea.

progressoverpeace on April 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

the president has very little knowledge of the world.

rob verdi on April 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Fify, gratis,

Entelechy on April 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I gotta go with the Austria one. The “What if it was Bush” factor is too high.

Speedwagon82 on April 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I’m not quite the messiah?

How did I miss that one? What did he say?

Speaking of which, did he attend church yesterday after all? The rescue kind of blew the excessive adoration off the front pages. I wonder where he ended up going.

capitalist piglet on April 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I was in church yesterday, praying to the one true Lord.

I don’t know how the Obama zombies their day. But I do know worshipping a false prophet is a sure ticket to hell.

madmonkphotog on April 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Hey, his “America is very new compared to Turkey” comment was just to counter balance Hillary’s “We’ve had democracy longer than Europe” comment. So, you see, it all comes out in the wssh./

Christian Conservative on April 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM

This morning, Obama used the word “privacy” when he meant “piracy” in speaking about the resolution of the crisis off the coast of Somalia. The White House in its official transcript acknowledged the mistake:

“And I want to be very clear that we are resolved to halt the rise of privacy [sic] in that region,” according to the transcript.

The gaffe blew the key quote and could present some problems for journalists, who will be forced to work around it.

Rocks on April 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM