Captain Phillips freed, 3 pirates killed

posted at 1:45 pm on April 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Here’s a happy ending on Easter Sunday for Hot Air readers.  Captain Richard Phillips is now free from the pirates holding him hostage, and three of the four captors are now free of oxygen use as a result:

U.S. intelligence official tells the Associated Press Sunday that an American sea captain held hostage by Somali pirates has been freed and was safe aboard a Navy ship. Three of the pirates were killed and one was in custody, according to the official.

U.S. warships and helicopters had been stalking the lifeboat holding Capt. Richard Phillips and his four Somali captors as a Somali official and others reported earlier that negotiations for his release had broken down. …

“The negotiations between the elders and American officials have broken down. The reason is American officials wanted to arrest the pirates in Puntland and elders refused the arrest of the pirates,” said the commissioner, Abdi Aziz Aw Yusuf. He said he organized initial contacts between the elders and the Americans.

Two other Somalis, one involved in the negotiations and another in contact with the pirates, also said the talks collapsed because of the U.S. insistence that the pirates be arrested and brought to justice.

Looks like we brought three of them to justice.  The fourth will get more protection than he deserves, but at least we’ve freed the captain and delivered something of a message.  We’re not going to let pirates run free, and if “elders” think we will, they found out differently today.

From now on, though, the “negotiations” should be us telling the pirates and their envoys that if they surrender, we’ll let them live.  If not, no quarter.  That should be our first and last offer.  If we keep dancing around with Somali “elders” and treat pirates like bank robbers, we’re going to be doing a lot more of these negotiations in the future.

Update: Second time’s the charm.  Phillips jumped overboard again, and this time, the Navy was ready to take out the pirates.  Great work, Navy!

Update II: Looks like the initial reports were incorrect.  After being authorized to use force by President Obama, Navy SEALs took their shots when it appeared the pirates were about to shoot Phillips.  Kudos to the SEALs, and kudos to Obama for making the right call.  If this had gone badly, he would have taken the blame, so it’s fair to credit him with taking the steps necessary to finally bring this to a happy conclusion.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 13 14 15 16

You talk big for a little cog on a big wheel.

I might be a bit bigger cog than you imagine, but I don’t need to be a real big one to drop by the S2 office.

Let me ease your mind. I am just a civilian who cares about the USA and respects our eleceted officials. I have just as much right to my opinion as you do yours. What I write is genelly available information for various press accounts not specualtion like you make about Obama.

Oh, I thought you were insinuating that you were privy to some state secret that the rest of us needed to form an opinion as methodical as yours. So we’re all just basing our opinions on what we read in the news. Hmm?

You on the otherhand unless I and wrong are in the military and disrespect you commander in chief. That is your problem hawk. Don’t even go there hawk.

Whaaaaa, I thought you lefties welcomed any service member that would speak out against the Bush Administration.

Threatening a military action through your S-2 against a civilian in the USA will get you busted and possible tossed out of the military. I’m not a patsy so you need to get yourself under control.

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Reporting a SEADA concern will “never” get me in trouble. But hey, since your “big report” is the same stuff I have access to in the news to form my opinion, I really don’t see the problem.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Don’t be taken in by Obama’s acquiescence in this action . . . I’m sure that even Vladimir Lenin would have agreed to destroy “pirates” if they attacked his ships on the high seas.

rplat on April 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I really don’t see the problem.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Neither do I. Since we are on the same side…. Carry on!!

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I spent the weekend with the fam and missed this–but I say a hearty Heave-Ho to our Seals!

Bob's Kid on April 13, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Neither do I. Since we are on the same side…. Carry on!!

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

After the last eight years with the left, I’m not entirely convinced that we all really are on the same side. We in the military at least take comfort in the fact that liberals will at least have to try and act like they’re behind the military for obama’s sake.

BTW, I’m Army so we say, “As you were”, not “Carry On”. And unless you’re a civilian in a position of authority over a service member, it’s actually considered quite an insult to insinuate that you’re giving them an order.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Did you have any comments about your misconception over General Orders? Would you like me to direct you to some good sites where you can learn a little bit more about the military. You seem very interested.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Seals are awesome, thank goodness we haven’t lost all of our courage in the military, since we are a country of cowards.

workingforpigs on April 13, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I noticed that The Washington Post has intensified their “Glory to our great leader” drive this morning.

rplat on April 13, 2009 at 10:30 AM

rplat on April 13, 2009 at 10:30 AM

He’ll be getting the “Legion of Merit” by the end of the week.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM

“General Orders” across the military have absolutely nothing to do with the context you were discussing. They are written specifically for sentries. Not just one of two, but all of the services have “General Orders” They are all specific, required to be memorized by each sentry and are written in a manner to “cover all situations”.

The operational directive we receive for an Army unit would be in an OPORD. It might contain the ROE, but “General Orders” are fixed and learned by most in their entry level indoctrination.

BTW, I respect you too; until you go into every comment with a Hot Air person insulting their intelligence. Premptively. You’re really quite insightful for the most part. Why you feel the need to comment in the same manner as someone like capitulus? Pretty soon, we’re all feeling the need to do it.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

No sweat Hawkdriver. I did leave the general order comment unexplained. I just can’t think of the correct term right now for an order that is loosely interpreted which are not too common. For instance in Vietnam to quickly assist other services generally in ac ombat situation general orders were issued. Many times verbal orders that simply refered to where to go (coordinates) what was happening ( force rep)and was very loose and fluid. Typically they were local requests to an adjacent higher command for assistance. Written order would typically follow sometimes months later. I can undersand in you took my comment to mean the “general orders” as in for sentrys for example. Poor choice of words on my part. I meant general in terms of what action was to be taken by which units. Of course you have no way of knowing that.

I apologize for writing like that sometimes and I never mean it personally. I admit you walked right into my line of fire after reading this thread. I apologize.I get frustrated sometimes when some people don’t admit the obvious. Like you I know Bush screwed up alot. He did a lot right too. Obama finally does what we want and gets something right and some of us still crucify him for it. We lose sight of the fact that the only elected official to represent all of the people in the USA is our President. After the election he represents us all. Sure he is a democrat and that really sucks. Until the next election we are going to be lead by him as a nation. We need to reinforce good behaviour when he does it right. Otherwise we will confuse him. of course I will always respect you too. Thank you for the kind words.

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Idiot America has no idea how to respond to this. On one hand, they need to support teh troops. On the other they can’t give teh Muslim Socialist any credit. Their 3rd grade intellects can’t quite figure out how to do both effectively.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 8:01 AM

You see but you do not observe. You hear but you do not listen.

semloh on April 13, 2009 at 10:45 AM

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I think I adequately explained my rationalle in the previous post. I appreciate your help. As a Marine no longer on active duty believe me I can still recite every one of them. I served several tours overseas and am a combat vet like many of you here. SOS different war!

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 10:47 AM

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Hooah to your Uh-rah and good day to you. And thank you for your service during a really hard time i our history.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM

…in…

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Kudos to the SEALs, and kudos to Obama for making the right call. If this had gone badly, he would have taken the blame, so it’s fair to credit him with taking the steps necessary to finally bring this to a happy conclusion.

Partly right. Kudo’s to the SEALS for doing their jobs. President Obama allowed these pirates to hold the UNITED STATES of AMERICA at bay for 5 days. Pirates, are for the killing. Now, other pirates are emboldened, because they know the USA will not take immediate action

originalpechanga on April 13, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Popping skinny heads. Gotta love it!!

maintenanceman on April 13, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Praise God. He gets to adjudicate 3 Pirates and we get our captain back.

All praise to the SEAL’s who shot him. The boat was on 100 foot tow line with the destroyer so the shot wasn’t that far but in bobbing seas, remember both the life boat and the ship are moving, they took great shots. Tally ho!

Mojave Mark on April 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM

This morning indeed offers America a moment of reflective glory–thanks to Providence, to our magnificent Navy, to our brave and professional Merchant Marines.

Obama should learn another INVALUABLE LESSON from his experience having abused Joe Wurzelbacher; America WILL NOT TOLERATE OBAMA’S ABUSE of the courageous Alabama crew who have personally told Obama the correct course to take against piracy since he proved himself unable to make a proper decision without waiting for public polling.

Obama’s weak knees self-imposed a national requirement for all US citizens everywhere, at home or abroad, to be prepared to wait 2-3 days before knowing IF Obama MIGHT permit our Constitutional Government to function as required by The Constitution.

NO CHANGE TO ACCOMODATE OBAMA’S FALSIFICATION OF THE CONSTITUTION

maverick muse on April 13, 2009 at 10:59 AM

You see but you do not observe. You hear but you do not listen.

semloh on April 13, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Whoa, that’s deeeep. Tell me sensei, if a tree falls in a forest and there aren’t any conservatives around, does it make a noise?

Chew on that one for a while.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Mojave Mark

amen to that!

maverick muse on April 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I respect your opinion, but again, it is all predicated on whether you take all the information that the government presents as the gospel truth. I say this with all due respect but you give the impression that you do.

I take the opposite approach. I don’t take the information given by this government as gospel, I take it as information that needs to be screened against what we know outside the government marketing scheme. Governments are notorious for lying, ours is no different, we have a historical record of it. Because of this, skepticism, especially in a time of war, is needed.

True_King on April 13, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Oh, I’m not one for accepting anything the government says as “gospel.” We have way too much of that gospel music playing in America these days. The problem is that effectively running any sort of intelligence operation necessarily requires the government to keep secrets. There’s just no way around it. To demand absolute transparency from the government in all military and intelligence matters is to foreclose the possibility of effective military or intelligence operations. We are protected by walls, as Jack Nicholson famously declared in that old movie, and those walls are protected by smoke screens.

There’s no way the government can protect its citizens without a robust intelligence operation. Precisely the opposite was asserted by Democrats in the 1970s, after the Church hearings, and the intelligence community was effectively dismantled. Nothing good came of that, and many bad things came from it instead. Taken to the extreme, a demand for an absolutely forthcoming and truthful government would prevent anyone from receiving a fair trial, as the prosecution would be obliged to reveal confidential information about every case.

In an era of asymmetrical warfare, intelligence gathering becomes an even dirtier job than it used to be. It’s a paradox of a free society that it requires a much more energetic, and subtle, intelligence system to secure its safety, because it indulges its foreign and domestic enemies to operate much more freely within it. To return to an especially notorious example, the editors of the New York Times explicitly placed national security far below political considerations and professional appetites, and because we have the sort of free and open society we do, they and their sources had very little fear of official retribution. (By the way, if Bush was such a liberty-stomping assassin of freedom, why does the New York Times still exist? Why aren’t proven liars and political saboteurs Joe and Valerie Wilson in jail?) When you cannot simply arrest seditious types, you must keep a very careful eye on them.

It’s true that we don’t know all, or even most, of the details of the last eight years in the war declared on us on 9/11/01. We won’t know those details in our lifetimes, and some of that information may never be declassified. Going strictly on the basis of what we do know, and can observe with our own eyes, I find it difficult to defend the proposition we are “less safe” as a result of Bush’s actions – which is not to say they were perfect or above criticism, but they were certainly superior to anything Al Gore or John Kerry would have done. (If you want to be less safe, try loudly announcing to your enemies that you will now submit to a “global test” before you defend yourself. If Kerry were president, Captain Phillips would still be sitting on that lifeboat, waiting for the results of the “global test” to come in.) To restate a point often made over these last few years: would anyone have believed, in late September of 2001, that we would reach 2009 without suffering another major terrorist attack on American soil?

With the limited amount of declassified intelligence available to us, we can only debate principles and the obvious results of various policies. I disagree with the principle that robust exercises of military and intelligence power in the defense of America and her citizens make us “less safe” by angering our enemies or weakening the resolve of our allies. I also don’t believe that the basic principles of a free society must preclude such robust military and intelligence efforts, because given the violent and predatory nature of the rest of the world, the refusal to provide such efforts is tantamount to suicide. I do not need to declare myself a soft target for barbarians when I declare myself to be a free citizen of a democracy. The ultimate judgment of Bush’s effectiveness rests with whether you think we would be equally free of domestic terror attacks, or damage to our overseas interests, if we had left Saddam and the Taliban to fester, and disabled the domestic intelligence programs of the Bush Terror, which we somehow managed to survive with enough freedom to elect an outspoken opponent of everything Bush stood for, despite his paper-thin resume.

A good day to you too, and I hope you had a happy Easter!

Doctor Zero on April 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM

America! F*ck yeah!

TheSitRep on April 13, 2009 at 11:02 AM

originalpechanga on April 13, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Me thinkum you crazy.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Given that capitulus head is crushed by the full impact, he remains his own conundrum.

maverick muse on April 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM

ooh-rah back at cha. I think you folks fighting today have it far worse than I or we did. I hope we veterans and our civilian supporters always keep in mind it takes rough and tough men and women to face off with the most burtal enemy our nation has ever fought. After nearly 8 years the struggle continues and my assesment is we are winning. We’re not perfect but history will say we met the challenge of our times with honor and conviction.

I feel fortunate we have a place like Berkeley Ca near San Francisco. What other country would tolerate these wierdos and give them a place to call their own. A place where they can harass Marine Recruiters knowing full well they are in no mortal danger because we are a free people and have the right to speak our mind. Our military keeps us free. All of us. Even those citizens who oppose us. What a great country we have. What a wonderful ambassadors you and the others who serve are. The world knows even if we sometimes forget.

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM

maverick muse on April 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM

If a tree falls and crushes capitulus’ head, does it make any noise or any difference?

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM

maverick muse on April 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I love when true conversational genius spontaneously appears in the threads of Hot Air. Both of your conundrums concerning capitulus are very perplexing to me also. May I intrude on your spirited exchange and offer something of a puzzle that had occurred to me also?

If said tree crushed capitulus’s head, would it’s vacuous nature provide any debris worthy of even a small scavenger’s attention?

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

When you write things like this

NO CHANGE TO ACCOMODATE OBAMA’S FALSIFICATION OF THE CONSTITUTION

maverick muse on April 13, 2009 at 10:59 AM

you really have no business making head trauma jokes.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:25 AM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Wow *, that’s a lot of big words there. Impressive!

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Wow *, that’s a lot of big words there. Impressive!

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I can teach you some if you like.

BTW, you can kiss my ACU clad fourth point of contact.

Not on the Right side…

Not on the Left side…

But right on the (*).

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Me thinkum you crazy.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Don’t say that I didn’t caution you about the danger in your missing your weekly maintenance electroshock treatments. I told your mother that there would be no refund on her yearly prepaid discount package that she purchased for you.

Sigmund on April 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

In my mind’s eye I see capitulus’ head as one of those soft puffy fungi you might find growing out of some moldy animal dung on the forest floor. I suppose insects might carry away the debris.

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM

BTW, you can kiss my ACU clad fourth point of contact.

Yawn. Can’t believe I wasted time googling that silliness.

Roger that, *.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM

So, the great circle of life carries on even with capitulus’s impromptu gravitational forces/auditory experiment?

Reassuring.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Why did you have to Google that? While you were at it, you should have Googled, “Commissioned Warrant Officer”.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Reassuring.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM

That’s why God made dung beetles ;)

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Yeah *, whatever. Who really cares what you’re wearing, btw? Save that stuff for your luddite groupies on here.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Heh! A Poll:

_ A hollow echo.

_ A squishy, spineless vibration

_ A soft splat

_ A timid thump

_ A retaliatory post on HA

Yoop on April 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM

That’s why God made dung beetles ;)

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Belly laughing here.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Capitulus’s pointless life is so low that all other lots he envies. Fame of him the world hath none. Wisdom and sanity both scorn him. Ignore him, look ahead and pass him by.

Tav on April 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Yoop on April 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM

May I offer as an alternative, the hissing sound a can of vacuum sealed coffee can makes when you first cut into the lid?

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Tav on April 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Wow, you sound all learned and stuff. You’re a regular Shakespearean Teabagger. Please, continueth.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Tav on April 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

That is clearly sage advice. But I must admit, there is a certain pleasure in batting about the really awful trolls.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Capitulus’s pointless life is so low that all other lots he envies.
Tav on April 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Science should be alerted. Evolution in reverse.

Yoop on April 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Yoop on April 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Soft, hollow splat inaudible to the human ear

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Science should be alerted. Evolution in reverse.

Yoop on April 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Scientists won’t be too surprised. Niches open and the bottom and evolution fills them. This is entirely consistent with theory.

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Just curious….please relate your use of the term “luddite” in attaching the term to us “groupies”. I certainly do not want a misunderstanding with someone as wonderous as you. I sit here completely incredulous and await your reply.

The Luddites were a social movement of British textile artisans in the early nineteenth century who protested—often by destroying mechanized looms—against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt were leaving them without work.

This English historical movement has to be seen in its context of the harsh economic climate due to the Napoleonic Wars, and the degrading working conditions in the new textile factories; but since then, the term Luddite has been used derisively to describe anyone opposed to technological progress and technological change.

The Luddite movement, which began in 1811, took its name from the fictive Ned Ludd. For a short time the movement was so strong that it clashed in battles with the British Army. Measures taken by the government included a mass trial at York in 1812 that resulted in many executions and penal transportation.

The principal objection of the Luddites was against the introduction of new wide-framed automated looms that could be operated by cheap, relatively unskilled labour, resulting in the loss of jobs for many skilled textile workers.

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Ekam sat vipra bahuda vadanti.

Tav on April 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Consider it mental target practice. Keeps the connection between the brain and the trigger finger lubricated. It could come in handy later.

Yoop on April 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Who are you, *’s boyfriend? Don’t ask and don’t tell.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

How about a bag of cheetos opened at 15,000 feet in an unpressurized aircraft?

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Who are you, *’s boyfriend? Don’t ask and don’t tell.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Oh, my. Somebody just ran aground and is thrashing about now.

Yoop on April 13, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Doctor Zero on April 13, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Excellent response. Far better than I could have provided. Thank you.

capitalist piglet on April 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM

rplat on April 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

All the blame, none of the credit … Teabaggers unite! We can’t let Obama get any credit here! It ruins our Rush stated mission of nothing short of failure for this administration. The regional party of NO continues to fight on.

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Who are you, *’s boyfriend? Don’t ask and don’t tell.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Now that’s a liberal thing. Put a rainbow sticker on your car, march for gay marriage, but when you want to use “gay” as an epithet, you don’t hesitate.

capitalist piglet on April 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Who are you, *’s boyfriend? Don’t ask and don’t tell.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Just out of curiosity (*), how does Kanda asking what relevance your reference to “Luddites” have to Hot Air commenters, infer anything other than what he asked? Are you a little uncomfortable with yourself?

How about a bag of cheetos opened at 15,000 feet in an unpressurized aircraft?

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I’m not sure Dark. That would obviously infer an “over” pressure.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Leftist propaganda from one who has never heard the show. He said he wanted obama’s Socialistic policies to fail and so do I.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I’m not sure Dark. That would obviously infer an “over” pressure.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Just gas pressure. Something’s gotta keep it inflated. There’s not structural integrity like a coffee can might have.

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM

All the blame, none of the credit …
Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Yes, we learned from the experts.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Good luck on that wanting America to fail stuff. Why do you hate America?

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I see your point. Yes, it is plausible!

I’ll ponder it on the way to lunch with my kid.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Yes, we learned from the experts.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM

No obviously you did not.

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Ha ha I bite my tongue as I write this but I can’t help myself…it is too funny for words.

With regard to the comment of

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Capitulus. Ignorance is bliss as you have once again proven. You just can’t make this stuff up folks.

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM

All the blame, none of the credit …
Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Yes, we learned from the experts.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM

The trick here is you must first DO SOMETHING RIGHT to get credit …

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I’m a little fond of my Representative Republic.

It is quite humorous to hear that from you Blame-America-First leftists after the last eight or so years though.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM

No obviously you did not.

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Oh yes, we did!

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

A few more dead pirates should stop the stupidity.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on April 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Please stop being Obama’s anal ostrich. I sure wish his retentive gastric muscles would loosen up occasionally and fart, so fools like you could finally see the light.

canditaylor68 on April 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM

How is it that liberals can simultaneously:

1) claim to be against anti-gay bias;

2) claim that conservatives are all anti-gay bigots; and

3) imply that conservative commentators are gay lovers, using homosexuality as a derogatory slur?

Loxodonta on April 13, 2009 at 12:14 PM

From Fox news

Sunday’s nighttime operation was a victory for the world’s most powerful military, but few experts believed it would quell a rising tide of attacks in one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes.

The stunning resolution to a five-day standoff came after pirates had agreed to let the USS Bainbridge tow their powerless lifeboat out of rough water. A fourth pirate surrendered after boarding the Bainbridge earlier Sunday and could face life in a U.S. prison. He had been seeking medical attention for a wound to his hand, military officials said.

Interviewed from Bahrain, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command chief Vice Adm. Bill Gortney said the takedown happened shortly after sailors on the Bainbridge saw the hostage-takers “with their heads and shoulders exposed.”

U.S. Defense officials said snipers got the go-ahead to fire after one pirate held an AK-47 close to Capt. Richard Phillips’ back. Two other pirates popped their heads up out of the lifeboat, giving snipers three clear targets, one official said.

The military officials asked not to be named because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the case.

The Navy released images from an unmanned drone that showed snipers positioning themselves on the fantail of the USS Bainbridge. They fired simultaneously.

“(They are) extremely, extremely well-trained,” Gortney told NBC’s “Today” show, saying the shooting was ordered by the captain of the Bainbridge.

The SEALS arrived on the scene by parachuting from their aircraft into the sea, and were picked up by the Bainbridge, a senior U.S. official said.

He said negotiations with the pirates had been “going up and down.” The official, asking not to be identified because he, too, was not authorized to discuss this on the record, said the pirates were “becoming increasingly agitated in the rough waters; they weren’t getting what they wanted.”

Just as it was getting dark, pirates fired a tracer bullet “toward the Bainbridge,” further heightening tensions, the official said.

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I’ll ponder it on the way to lunch with my kid.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Try not to get any ketchup on your aclu or whatever.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Their 3rd grade intellects can’t quite figure out how to do both effectively.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Third grade spelling.

Johan Klaus on April 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Good luck on that wanting America to fail stuff. Why do you hate America?

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Monkei, it seems that either you have a reading comprehension problem and/or you believe socialism is the path to US success. Which is it, AND or OR?

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM

What a fantastic ending to a gripping tale. I’m so pleased those snipers really are as good as on TV shows. :)

AnninCA on April 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I’m soooo glad Obama risked his life by throwing himself into the water to expose the pirate targets for the SEAL sharpshooter team, led by…who else but Prez Obama!

RepubChica on April 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Also from Fox refering to a bloomberg report.

Report: U.S. Considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

Defense officials said the U.S. military is considering attacks on Somali pirate bases on land and aid for the people there to help stop the hijacking of ships off Africa’s coast, Bloomberg.com reported.

The plan would include helping Somalia create their own coast guard and train security forces, the officials, who requested anonymity, told Bloomberg.com.

Officials said the plan would be submitted to the Obama administration as they decide how best to tackle the increase in pirate attacks off the Somali coast.

The only way to make shipping routes safe from pirates would be to disrupt their support network on land, security analysts have said.

Any actions against the pirates, defense officials said, would require the support of the Somali people, who are usually not in favor of foreign intervention.

With the arrival of the USS Boxer on scene the US has the capability to take out the pirate bases. There are more ships like the Boxer to assist if needed. My guess is if the Pirates harm Americans they can kiss their safe havens in Somalia goodby. It may already be too late for the pirates. If any of the pirates escape alive I would be surprised. This won’t be like Clintoon in Mogadishu. This time we will kill them all. The trail balloon has been floated by the press. The polls will be taken. I doubt anyone will be against the US taking this action.

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Try not to get any ketchup on your aclu or whatever.

capitulus on April 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM

(*) = International sign of the sphincter.

Damn and touche (*). I was waiting to leave the office for your next comment and the bet was that you’d say something mean about my kid. I leave the office a poorer man but hopeful in the fact that you might have some boundries.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I just asked why the hatred of America … socialism … this country is already the most socialized country in the world … big business in this country doesn’t want socialism to come to our shores? Instead they would rather export the country’s wealth to China. I think I would rather CONTINUE socializing things instead of selling this country abroad. That’s my AND or OR. What’s yours?

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM

A few more dead pirates should stop the stupidity.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on April 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

And representatives from our government should stop apologizing for / or explaining why we shot the scumbag pirates.

Johan Klaus on April 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

hawkdriver on April 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

No such luck, but I had your back, Hawk, don’t worry. People with no lives, no children, no happiness or anything of substance have …you guessed it–no limits and no personal decency or decorum. It’s the whole anonymous thing–makes ‘em feel pretty darn brave.

RepubChica on April 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Or Reagan and the Aquili Laura terrorists who were allowed safe passage because we could not take on italy? Blame game? Sure we can all play that game. Or Bush cowering to China when they had our pilot. Blame game, it’s an easy one to cherry pick from.

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Then tell your president to stop passing stimulus/bailouts paid for by the Chinese…

canditaylor68 on April 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Maybe I heard wrong, but didn’t someone mention that the U.N. passed a law prohibiting merchant ships to carry arms?
Could someone clarify that?
I just can’t justify spending an hour or so reading all 1500 comments to see if this has been addressed.

right2bright on April 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM

So you are OK with communism?

Johan Klaus on April 13, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Not surprizingly, the press is still reporting the lie that Barry authorized the sniper strike.

Vashta.Nerada on April 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I’m sure we’ll be hearing a lot about it, right. My understanding is that would violate Maritime agreements/treaties/etc.

But it’s the first idea people have, for sure, as to future problems.

AnninCA on April 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM

canditaylor68 on April 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Gee, does anyone else have all the money? Did they achieve all their money during the first 70 days of the Obama administration. Just how did China become so “rich”

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Vashta.Nerada on April 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Maybe it’s true, nah, that can’t be right, that would mean you would have to give some little bit of credit …

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM

KOS has a hot piece out that the captain was guilty of grandstanding and caused this incident. :)

AnninCA on April 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM

So you are OK with communism?

Johan Klaus on April 13, 2009 at 12:31 PM

communism? you mean as with Cuba or North Korea? Hey, how is their economies doing? communism, you still in some kind of Vietnam time warp? Socialism and communism is not the same thing, but then again maybe it is. Was it communism or socialism that built the US interstate system and still maintains it?

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM

No AND nor OR, simply American success through free enterprise under a Republic. I’m in China making money locally, much of which sent back to the US in the form of taxes and investments. Net-net I’m a positive contributor to the US current accounts balance (unlike you I’d wager).

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Continue the good work then, my government job depends on you continuing to pay your taxes like a good little citizen …

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Neither it was federalism…man you are really posting some strange stuff here is an example:

his country is already the most socialized country in the world

This pretty much destroy any of your credibility (as if it was needed), how about this rich one.

you mean as with Cuba or North Korea? Hey, how is their economies doing?

You are challenging that those socialist economies are doing well?
Monkei…you are certainly entertaining, I don’t think I have ever read a series of posting so full of wrong facts, and foolish statements…that is the real strength of HotAir, to allow people like you to post so we can see how someone like Obama got elected.
It was bewildering how he got elected…until I read the way you analyze things…then I get it.

right2bright on April 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I think I remember from another thread that you work for the VA. One of the best uses of my taxes I could think of. Take that ;)

DarkCurrent on April 13, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Well I’ll be a monkei’s uncle. No wnder you want to expand government.

kanda on April 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM

When you rob Peter to pay Paul…Paul never complainers.

right2bright on April 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Monkei on April 13, 2009 at 12:28 PM

That w/b the Aquile Lauro, and Italy. On this one you have no clue what you write of. I know the spy who hunted down the scumbag who threw the elder disabled gentleman overboard. He couldn’t kill him due to the American presidential order not to execute such excrement. Write of matters you know something of.

Entelechy on April 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM