Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on April 10, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Today’s entry comes from Greyhawk, who caught something I might not have noticed. Earlier this week, when Barack Obama visited the troops in Iraq, he started by rattling off the names of the commands in the theater. Unfortunately, even with only four, Obama still needed a Teleprompter — or at least its low-tech equivalent:

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. Thank you, guys. Let me say, [reads card] Multinational Force Iraq, Multinational Corps Iraq, Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq First Corps, America’s Corp Band: Thanks to all of you.

Greyhawk wrote: “Seriously, those shouldn’t be that unfamiliar to their commander.” In Obama’s defense, I think he was hoping that they wouldn’t be there at all when he took office. But yeah, one might have expected Obama to have at least worked on memorizing the different units under his command in a war zone, especially since there were only four.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Give him a pass on this one. He obviously didn’t want to screw up. This is minor.

Mason on April 10, 2009 at 11:30 AM

coldwarrior

To me he was being respectful to the troops

We have plenty to criticise him on

This was not it

EricPWJohnson on April 10, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Mason on April 10, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Try watching the video. This was nothing like a “memory jogger” for someone intimitely familiar with the subject matter. Obama stood there and read each word aloud, practically sounding them out phonetically.

logis on April 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM

In affirmative action history classes he didn’t have to remember dates…just general feelings of the order events happened.

Ease up on the guy.

jukin on April 10, 2009 at 11:45 AM

jukin on April 10, 2009 at 11:45 AM

In those classes, even the order is irrelevant. All that matters is understanding who the bad guy is.

And that answer’s always the same.

logis on April 10, 2009 at 12:02 PM

As he has no past military service or even a passing interest in the armed forces, I would bet the farm that President Obama needs a cue card to list off the five branches of the military.

cackcon on April 10, 2009 at 12:15 PM

This is nothing to ping him on, imho.

Y-not on April 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Cue cards, and teleprompters: What else would you expect when giving the presidency to a racist community organizer?

Such is todays Democrat Party.

DannoJyd on April 10, 2009 at 12:38 PM

WIDDI

hawkdriver on April 10, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I’ll give him a pass on this one. To be perfectly honest, I’d need a cheat sheet to get “Multinational Security Transition Command Iraq, First Corps” right.

I’m not a big believer in useless memorization (or needlessly long names, for that matter). In this unholy union of the two, I’ll let it slide.

ExSubNuke on April 10, 2009 at 12:54 PM

“I’d like to thank the… uh… Am-er-i-can mil-i-tar-y.”

Jim Treacher on April 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I wonder if they had to spell all the words out phonetically?

And once again, let’s imagine the reaction if Bush had done this. Letterman would have featured it in his monologue for an entire week.

rockmom on April 10, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I am going to have to give him a pass on this one.

SC.Charlie on April 10, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Far better to read them verbatim and get them right than wing it and get them wrong. He gets a pass for this.

skydaddy on April 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Obama still needed a Teleprompter — or at least its low-tech equivalent

Dang, I just told a high-powered group of VPs that cards are so passé.

This man is not smart.

Entelechy on April 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM

What I mean is you’re all hypocrites when it comes to scrutinizing how a president speaks words in public.

Dave Rywall on April 10, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I’m not. They are both poor speakers. I know a good one, instantly.

Now, you have the stones to admit that.

Entelechy on April 10, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Obama is a Tool.

And we’re stuck with him for 4 years. Then we’ll have Palin and/or Jindal on the ticket in 2012 and we’ll be stuck with Tool Obama for yet another 4 years.

Yippee.

SilverStar830 on April 10, 2009 at 3:30 PM

He is not stupid, he doesn´t care. He doesn´t care because his priority is to change America, change the culture. Permanently. What is some militaristic stuff which he hates anyway to him?

el gordo on April 10, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I gotta go along with the “if Bush did it…” crowd on this one. Remember how W got raked over the coals because he didn’t know who the undersecretary of agricultural growing stuff of lower Greater Mandible was? This isn’t even pop-quiz territory.

I’ll admit that these largely administrative military designations don’t roll of the tongue like “3rd Infantry Division” or “4th Fighter Wing,” but come on. Take five minutes before the speech and memorize the stuff. Reading it off a card makes it look like you don’t care to put forth even a tiny bit of effort.

Darth Cirrocu on April 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Darth Cirrocu on April 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Personally, I’d still give him a pass, but you raise a good point.

I suspect he was too busy ordering his pizza to memorize anything.

Y-not on April 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Two things bother me here and it’s not the use of the note card (but you’re right; if Bush had done it, it’d be all over the news).
1) He begins uh-uh-ing right after he puts the card in his pocket.
2) He starts the rest of his comments with “Listen….” This is an expression that implies that he does not think of his previous remarks (listing the units) as important.

StormsWillPass on April 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Take this for what it’s worth- I was at the local watering hole Wednesday and a friend of mine who’s done a few tours in Afghanistan told me his friends over there emailed him to tell him some of the higher-ups stood up during Obama’s speech, threw their hands up, and walked out.

Now they are supposedly in big trouble. Of course it wasn’t covered by the media, but I have good reason to believe this wasn’t just a beer induced tale.

Just a random, unsubstantiated thing but encouraging to me nonetheless.

NTWR on April 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Give the poor guy a break. He’s a busy man, and destroying the country is a very hard job.

Daggett on April 10, 2009 at 8:38 PM

The poor turd needs a teleprompter to spell ACORN.

All serious aside, Obama is worried in communication on the situation about the shipping lanes with the pirates and decided to bring in Willy Stargell to talk to them\ Somalis as he was once a pirate captain.

Who voted for this bufoon?

dthorny on April 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM

There is indeed lots to criticize Obama on. To jump on him for minutiae like this is to behave in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as liberals we used to refer to as “deranged” and “unhinged”.

Yes, yes, I know, “that’s what they did, why shouldn’t we give it back to ‘em?”

Because they were pathetic, retarded, angry children. And if you’re going to behave in the same whiny fashion, you’re a pathetic, retarded, angry child. If you think otherwise, you’re deluding yourself.

Grow up, people.