Inevitable: ASU caves, will probably award honorary degree to Obama

posted at 6:30 pm on April 10, 2009 by Allahpundit

Turns out it was nothing personal, just a set policy about not awarding degrees to politicians who are still in office. No matter: An injustice hath been done to The One, and for that ASU must answer. Grovel, ASU President Michael Crow. Grovel like the wind:

“There was no intended slight,” Crow said by telephone from his office in Tempe. “We had not yet talked about what honors we might give him as our commencement speaker, and we still have a month to work all that out. We don’t want anyone to think we do not recognize what he has achieved and what he means in America.”…

Past recipients of ASU honorary degrees included an aloe-vera magnate, the director of “Victor Victoria,” a Chinese official, a Canadian politician, and lots of donors and fundraisers…

“Typically, the university’s policy relative to honorary degrees has been that people who are sitting politicians, we don’t given an honorary degree,” he explained. “It’s kind of a local thing. We’ve gotten a huge reaction from a lot of folks as if some decision was made not to give him one. Far from it.”…

Crow had said in a statement when the school was selected by the White House: “The progressive leadership he has already displayed and the values he espouses are a great example for our students and for the extended community that surrounds us.”

ASU’s president said officials now are considering conferring an honorary degree, regardless of local custom. “We intend to recognize him in multiple ways,” Crow said. “As to this issue relative to the honorary degree, we don’t know where it came from.”

Actually, there was a case in the not-too-distant past of a sitting president being denied a degree for apparently political reasons. See if you can guess which one, and which school, then click the image to watch.

Comments

Do not shame “The One”

Speakup on April 10, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Lame.

Blarg the Destroyer on April 10, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Eh, why does Obama need degrees when he is clearly the bestest, smartiest person in the whole world?

Upstater85 on April 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Well that just solidifies Arizona on my sh*t list. First McCain and now this?

anniekc on April 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM

One phone call from Axelrod or Rahm…and everything is peachy again.

coldwarrior on April 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM

And the list of qualifications includes???? God, that’s scary. The guy got elected Pres. Jeeeesh.

marklmail on April 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Terrific.
What’s his major?
BS in Destroying the U.S.

HornetSting on April 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Inevitable. How did they think they would survive the media/leftist firestorm if the denied The Greatest Man in Human History an honorary degree…even if it was against their policy.

Hell, I’m surprised the Pope hasn’t canonized him and he hasn’t been given a Nobel Peace Prize…ah, but early days yet.

AUINSC on April 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Much ado about nothing I have to say….

DeathToMediaHacks on April 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM

It’s good to be da king.

portlandon on April 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Rahm, the Thug Ballerina, probably had a leetle chat with the president of ASU about how practical politics is conducted in Chicago, and the consequences of not giving The Messiah a degree…

Realist on April 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM

And thus, the world’s problems were handily solved.

blatantblue on April 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM

yes once again you must kneel before the One.

jaboba on April 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM

There, there baby. It’s OK. Here’s your diploma and a bottle.

innominatus on April 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Not awarding an honorary degree to a sitting politician is pretty standard practice at many universities, as they don’t want to be seen as using the process to curry favor with officeholders.

Still, what’s policy when measured against the ego of an entitled president?

Slublog on April 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM

It’s good to be da king.

portlandon on April 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Tru dat.

HornetSting on April 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM

yes once again you must kneel before the One.

jaboba on April 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Speaking of kneeling… maybe they’ll give the king of Saudi Arabia an honorary degree (he is higher than O, after all)

Upstater85 on April 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Honorary degrees always seemed to me a reward for not actually doing any specific work. ASU has now solidified that theory for me. Thanks!

Byzantine on April 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM

All
Hail
Prince
Obama!!!!!

blatantblue on April 10, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Was it…..GW and MIT?
He wasn’t exactly a rocket scientist you know.

strangelet on April 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Well shoot, guess I’m going to update my facebook page. I posted that I might actually cheer for the Sun Devils. Michael Crow… what a principled man.

But why IS The Won going to Arizona State? It’s just an average state school, maybe he thinks he has a chance of flipping AZ to blue in 2012?

ckdexterhaven on April 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM

In the deep, dark, recesses of the White House………

……….. there can be heard a maniacal laughter.

Seven Percent Solution on April 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Well this just goes along with his other honorary degree…

Skywise on April 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM

If Al Gore can get a Nobel Prize for narrating a science fiction movie, Obama can get a Doctorate in Proctology.

BL@KBIRD on April 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Translation: Wealthy liberal alumnae made calls and threatened to pull next year’s donation.

sherry on April 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I am so glad I no longer work for ASU…just like most other colleges it’s a bastion of ultra-liberal idiocy!

Long story (but a good one) I once got thrown out of a professor’s lab for calling him on his BS. I refused to buy his BS and because I didn’t buy it (e.g., bow to him) the only thing he had left was to throw me out saying, “get out of my lab, I have no use for you” as if I were his surf and he my master!

I didn’t get fired, I eventually quit for more reasoned and sane pastures 10 years ago, best decision I ever made and and the only thing I miss about ASU are the HOT co-eds!

Liberty or Death on April 10, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Liberty or Death on April 10, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Good for you!

Agreed on the co-eds. I sure will miss them come graduation.

blatantblue on April 10, 2009 at 6:49 PM

The White House just explained that a fake degree for Obama was the only thing standing between ASU and the pitchforks. Easy decision.

econavenger on April 10, 2009 at 6:50 PM

While we’re on the topic of honoring people…..it is telling that the Obama administration again went out of their way NOT to honor our military. In this latest episode he shrugged off our dead at Normandy.

“White House officials travelled to France at the start of March to discuss a visit by Mr Obama to Omaha Beach, the site of the American Cemetery, established in 1944 just after D-Day and where 9,387 American personnel are buried. Among them is Theodore Roosevelt Jr the eldest son of the 26th US President.
French officials and senior American military officers walked with White House staff through the cemetery discussing how the two presidents might follow the same route. But even before their trip, the White House had decided that Mr Obama would not travel there this week.

“It wasn’t going to happen,” said an American official in Washington. “We went through the motions to placate President Sarkozy but giving special treatment to France was not on our agenda.

“During this trip, we wanted to maintain a balance between the British, German and France”. A White House spokesman in London declined to comment. Last month, White House officials briefed that a Normandy visit had been considered but it had not been logistically possible. . . .

According to French reports, Mr Obama was to visit the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial at Colleville-sur-mer, just north of Omaha Beach. The pair were apparently to have dined at the nearby chateau de Benouville in Caen.

The White House rejected the offer.”

moxie_neanderthal on April 10, 2009 at 6:50 PM

These days “honorary degrees” are worth less than a share in GM.

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost.
- Schopenhauer

It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.
- Niccolo Machiavelli

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I have only, and then many years ago, watched a bit of the Academy Awards, but isn’t it customer for the winners to thank at least one other for their being able to win it?

Well Obama thank Mr. Teleprompter?

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM

customer customary

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Obama should boycott the school altogether

nice343 on April 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Well this just goes along with his other honorary degree…

Skywise on April 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Yep, this isn’t the first one he has.

thomasaur on April 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Hail to the Chief Thief

Kini on April 10, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Terrific.
What’s his major?
BS MS PhD in Destroying the U.S.

HornetSting on April 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I think they made their point!

An honorary is worth the paper its printed on. And we’ve witnessed a typical Democrat victory. Form over substance.

Lonetown on April 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I don’t care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
- Groucho

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Why should ASU impose any requirement on the Chosen One for an honorary degree.

The country didn’t impose any requirement to elect him Fuhrer of the world.

notagool on April 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Since its a PIRATES kinda day…

“They’re more like… guidelines…”

Romeo13 on April 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Pretty soon Obama may have more honor degrees and titles than the other Dear Leader, Kim Jong Il.

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM

In a society in which we give medals for participation why not?

CWforFreedom on April 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Much ado about nothing I have to say….

DeathToMediaHacks on April 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM

You don’t say?

Whadda surprise

CWforFreedom on April 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM

At the rate things are going the Somali Pirates will probably end up giving Obama an honor Pirate degree.

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I bet Obama’s grades were given in the same way…of course we may never know.

CWforFreedom on April 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Aye Matey!

CWforFreedom on April 10, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Well this just goes along with his other honorary degree…

Skywise on April 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Yep, this isn’t the first one he has.

thomasaur on April 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM

The degree the Saudi princes paid for?

econavenger on April 10, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Certainly the Saudi King should give Obama an Honorary Dhimmi degree. He really earned that one anyway.

MB4 on April 10, 2009 at 7:09 PM

In truth aren’t all his degrees honorary and not earned?

meci on April 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Academic freedom.

Y-not on April 10, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Affirmative honorary degree???

And I actually worked for my Ph.D. :(

poxoma on April 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM

So, will it be a Divinity degree?

Maquis on April 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Are they giving B.O. a B.S. degree??

poxoma on April 10, 2009 at 7:33 PM

marklmail on April 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM

They regraded Obama’s accomplishments on a curve and gave him extra credit because he’s put a lot of time into all the things he hasn’t accomplished yet.

A+++ for effort!

Dusty on April 10, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I happen to know that their fundraising campaign is in major trouble. I don’t see how this debacle helps. Reap where you sow, baby.

Y-not on April 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I don’t find ANYTHING about this or Obambi funny.

Not Over.

1GooDDaDDy on April 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Inevitable: ASU caves, will probably award honorary degree to Obama

As an unConstitutionally gov’t funded institution, they depend on big-gov’t types like BHO to survive. Quid pro quo.

jgapinoy on April 10, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Wimp.

Mason on April 10, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Given Oslima’s Chicago-mob background, I can’t help but wonder just what made ASU change their collective mind.

Dark-Star on April 10, 2009 at 9:15 PM

As soon as the left heard that they were dissing him. They probably bombed the school w/ emails, phone and fax. Im sure they all got the call to arms.

Greed on April 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Scratching ASU off the list of possible college choices for my 3 kiddos.

jediwebdude on April 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Honorary Doctorate of Prolix and Prevarication.

With a side order of B.S. in Whitey Hating Studies to be presented by Jeremiah Wright, curriculum adviser and tutor.

viking01 on April 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Cowards.

Send_Me on April 10, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Considering the recent French reaction to Somali pirates viz a viz Obie’s own , ASU ought to award him the MCF (More Cowardly than France) award.

MaiDee on April 10, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I am so disappointed! I was about to apply for a job there in the hopes I could work at a semi-normal campus.

PattyJ on April 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM

The Scare Crow is supposed to get his brain… damn it!

RalphyBoy on April 10, 2009 at 11:43 PM

“Grovel like the wind”? Yeesh. TGIF, eh, Ap?

Paul_in_NJ on April 10, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Honorary degree? Worthless. What kind of pitiful creatures even care about those. There’s people who work for their doctorates (real doctorates, mind you, not those pitiful “juris doctor” things America has).

Though, it’d be fitting for Obama. Worthless title for a worthless POTUS. But maybe then he’ll have a (somewhat) real doctorate.

Penguin on April 11, 2009 at 6:11 AM

The terrorists won.

the_nile on April 11, 2009 at 6:50 AM

What cowards.

I wonder if this is how Obama got his degrees from Columbia and Harvard…

sarainitaly on April 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Was it…..GW and MIT?
He wasn’t exactly a rocket scientist you know.

strangelet on April 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM

A bilingual Harvard MBA. What are your credentials?

Much ado about nothing I have to say….

DeathToMediaHacks on April 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM

For once we can agree.

ddrintn on April 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM

It is sad to see that my alma mater would get itself into the drama that is the Obama presidency.

I have often heard about how liberal ASU is but I never saw it. I did attend the college of business and I doubt there was much of a “hot bed of liberals” there.

willt73 on April 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Gosh, Obama did not have a body of work for them to give what amounts to a ceremonial bullshit degree … who thought ASU was such a power house in collegiate education? I also thought being president was about as high as you could go in this country … maybe they were waiting for Obama to get an even cushier job, Supreme Court Justice. Judging by the number of bullshit ceremonials Bush got for being an incredibly inept President then what’s the problem?

ASU … just like GOP governors and the bailout money or GOP leaders who condemn Rush Limbaugh … they took their best shot at attention, and lost out in the end anyway.

ASU degree, HA!

Monkei on April 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM

TOTUS is more deserving.

Whocares on April 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM

ASU degree, HA!

Monkei on April 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Come on now Monkei. What sense does it make to bash a State University that may be someone’s alma mater.

And to follow up your comment about being an education power house, ASU’s college of business actually has some very competitive programs and ranks pretty high.

The MBA program has been ranked fairly high as well.

willt73 on April 11, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Monkei on April 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Or maybe waiting for him to do something that shows his own intelligence and achievement, beyond just being the first black this or that who had the benefit of a chummy media enough to be elected president.

ddrintn on April 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Now I know…the “P”in PhD stands for “Present”.

Huh. Interesting.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 11, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I think Barry’s certainly deserving, but I had no idea ASU had a doctorate available for community organizing.

T J Green on April 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM

You’d think this would be embarrassing. You’d think Obama would be saying, of course I’m not supposed to get an honorary degree.

I haven’t followed this that closely; is there some reason why he could not have done that?

Alana on April 11, 2009 at 6:03 PM

MAY A SWARM OF KILLER BEES ATTACK ALL THOSE INVOLVED…OBAMA THE FASCIST ESPECIALLY!

BobAnthony on April 12, 2009 at 10:35 PM