Video: MEP Hannan warns his “friends” about nationalized health care

posted at 4:11 pm on April 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Sean Hannity interviews the Right’s favorite Brit, who dutifully explains everything we already know about the disaster of nationalized health care. Barack Obama claimed that the “English” could just walk into clinics and get health care, thanks to the nationalized system, but Obama hasn’t had to try it. Daniel Hannan, the MEP from Great Britain, informs Americans that government control means rationing and fewer resources — and sicker people:

The best line? The NHS is “the biggest employer in the world, after the Chinese Red Army.” And they both represent freedom and efficiency equally. Perhaps that’s a bit too harsh, though … on the Chinese.

Comments

wish he could come be an american politician…

well. he COULD. but. could only rise so far…

Drunk Report on April 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Drunk Report on April 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM

He just has to lose his birth certificate.

WisCon on April 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Is anyone other than Fox interviewing him? This message needs to get out.

petunia on April 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Silly Ed.

With Pelosi, Reid and Maxine Waters in charge; it’ll run a 100x worse better.

lorien1973 on April 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM

At least in the Red Army you get an AK.

Bishop on April 8, 2009 at 4:17 PM

LOL harsh on the Chinese? I guess everyone forget that the Chinese military is a mandatary enlistment. NHS is not!

upinak on April 8, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Hannan ’12!

iamse7en on April 8, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Hannan ‘12!

With BB for VP.

jgapinoy on April 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Love this guy, wish everyone can hear this before we get whacked by ObamaCare. I get sick just thinking about that prospect.

msmveritas on April 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM

With BB for VP.

jgapinoy on April 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Aw! Thanks

Hannan/BlatantBlue

blatantblue on April 8, 2009 at 4:21 PM

There was a big to-do in Britain over the death of reality star Jade Goody recently, which highlighted something: In Britain, the NHS won’t cover Pap smears until the woman is at least 25 years of age (Jade died at 27). In the US, private health insurance covers Pap smears from puberty onwards, as long as the woman is sexually active, usually somewhere around 16.

A lot of the propaganda for natural childbirth you hear coming from Britain is paid for by the NHS who is trying to discourage the use of epidurals during labor.

Now, tell me again how an American NHS would be so much better for womens’ health care?

Sekhmet on April 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM

He has more guts than some of the lame RINOS and republicans we have on The Hill. Too bad he’s in England.
Palin/Hannan 2012!

jencab on April 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM

He isn’t as sensible as he seems. He’s in the “give Obama a chance” camp, so no. Stay in the UK. I’ve got Thaddeus McCotter, and he’s good enough for me, thanks.

Virus-X on April 8, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Sekhmet on April 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM

It’ll be cheaper, and less expensive, and easier on the budget, and won’t cost as much. In fact, for the average citizen (FLASH: all 4 average US citizens have been found; recently moved into Big White House), it’ll be free.

That’s how.

BobMbx on April 8, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I have a sister-in-law from the UK. She lives in Cyprus, however, and was explaining to my husband and me that she can get free health care in Cyprus as long as she goes to a certain clinic. She said it was really nice not to pay for health care, but then in the same sentence, she said that she went to a near by clinic in Cyprus and just paid the $60 because she then could see the doctor whom she wanted to see.

I think people don’t realize what nationalized health care is. If they were educated on it and how it is not worth it (especially since the baby boomers are getting older and sicker), I believe they wouldn’t want anything to do with it.

deidre on April 8, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Obama’s already made up his mind, after all, he’s got the bestest, smartest people in the world working for him. They all said so. After all, they are the ‘elite’.

GarandFan on April 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM

It doesn’t get you anywhere to try and tell Libs that Nationalized healthcare will be bad- all they’ll say is that what we have now is terrible and at least Obama is willing to “try”. Yeah, you can go ahead and ask what are we supposed to do when it turns out to be a disaster, but all I’ve heard back is, “At least we’ll have tried”.

Yeah. Hope and change.

anniekc on April 8, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Once we get Obamateur-care, everything will be fine.

The Democrats can just trot out the long line of excuses that work so well for our atrocious public schools, to explain why our health care system sucks.

- We’re underfunded and need a lower provider to patient ratio. It’s the Republican’s fault for opposing “investments”.
- Our patients are fat, drink/eat/smoke too much, don’t exercise and eat crappy foods. It’s not our fault our customers suck. There’s nothing we can realistically do other than warehouse our patients and babysit them.

The American people have bought 50 years of Democrat excuses on public schools, why won’t they buy the same lame excuses for health care?

NoDonkey on April 8, 2009 at 4:43 PM

At least in the Red Army you get an AK.

Bishop on April 8, 2009 at 4:17 PM

And a little bit of ammo.

juanito on April 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM

He’s been highly critical of Obama now. He also had no intention of endorsing McCain because McCain is a proponent of the EU and the UK joining the EU, which really ticks off a lot of Brits.

I like Thaddeus, but why did he vote against Paul Ryans budget plan?

Daemonocracy on April 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I’d rather see Hannan as the UK’s PM. I think they’re starting the process of divorcing from socialism, and he can hopefully continue that process moving in the right direction.

hawksruleva on April 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM

It will be interesting so see just how stupid the American public truly is. LA, Chicago, and New York are stupid enough for sure, but I wonder about the rest of real America.

saiga on April 8, 2009 at 4:53 PM

If nationalized health care works so well, why are so many Brits supplementing their government provided health care with private insurance policies?

Dee2008 on April 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM

For the love of all that’s holy, let him run for Prime Minister

Defector01 on April 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I love this guy. I hope he does become Prime Minister. It would be nice to see the British acting British again.

Terrye on April 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I sent Mr. Hannan an email asking him if he’d ever considered becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen and running for the U.S. Senate.
He replied by thanking me for the email, but…

Amendment X on April 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Second best line: “When we make a mistake, we stick with it.”

Jim-Rose on April 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM

hawksruleva on April 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Only after their all their former colonies have taken the UK and its industries over; sending UK jobs to far-off Third World lands.

sethstorm on April 8, 2009 at 6:29 PM

If Obama didn’t have to show a real birth certificate, I’d give Hannen a bye as well. At least I’d know that no socialist would be occupying the WH. I wonder if he has any relations to Churchill. He certainly isn’t like the milquetoasts that Britain has been turning out recently.

eaglewingz08 on April 8, 2009 at 10:09 PM

deidre on April 8, 2009 at 4:32 PM

There’s a reason I keep calling it the Logan’s Run Health Plan; I’m hoping that the boomers who are old enough to remember what it means, actually own up to what it implies.

“Lastday! Renew, renew!”

Blacksmith on April 8, 2009 at 11:21 PM

My 27 y/o niece was diagnosed with Stage 4 melanoma while 30 weeks pregnant. She was terminal, so she forewent treatment until the baby was viable. Under the NHS, I would not only have lost my niece, but, my (now) 3 y/o great niece as well. NHS would have issued 2 death sentences, instead of 1, and that makes me wretch.

sybilll on April 9, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Exit question: With Obama getting set to cause Catholic Hospitals to close down, and then force America into a nationalized health care much like that of Great Britian, how many must die before Americans get completely fed up with the arrogant one?

DannoJyd on April 9, 2009 at 10:12 AM