Video: Walgreens abandons Chia Obama

posted at 2:57 pm on April 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The latest in politically-correct overreaction also could double as simple good taste on the part of Walgreens, the national discount pharmacy and convenience store. Walgreens has most of the As Seen On TV product line as well as every emolument known to man, which makes it one of the most entertaining shopping experiences outside of Spencers Gifts, or perhaps Fredericks of Hollywood for the truly garish.  And if you don’t already know, that last link is NSFW, or for your marriage if your wife finds you surfing there.  Hot Air is not responsible for injuries due to rolling pins, broken dishes, etc etc etc.

Their deliciously kitschy inventory makes the sudden discovery of bad taste somewhat less convincing as a claim to common sense than a bow to PC:

Is this racist?  Not unless tossing the name “chia” has a playground meaning other than “chintzy piece of crud no sane person would want in their home”.  On the other hand, it’s not exactly respectful, either, but America doesn’t have a long tradition of treating politicians with much deference.  Until recently, one of the most popular Halloween masks was the face of Richard Nixon, and that wasn’t because he was beloved by an adoring American public.

Chia also planned to roll out Hillary Clinton and Statue of Liberty models right alongside Chia Obama, but now apparently Walgreens has to find another use for all that shelf space.  How about more Flow-Bees?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think it was unappreciated before the election how much humor and creativity was going to be decline under the new Democrat dominion.

Socratease on April 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM

BillaryMcBush on April 7, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Unfortunately it is for display only not for actual use. Not much different than the incompetent sitting in the oval office.

BO-TP

jdkchem on April 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM

What about a Chia Teleprompter…….?

Seven Percent Solution on April 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM

wondering where the faux hair growth would have been on the Hillary chia

DarkKnight3565 on April 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM

chi-chi-chi-chicken?

RACIST!

jgapinoy on April 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Seems to me “Chia Biden” would’ve made more sense. (Yeah, I know. Old joke.)

apostic on April 7, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Is there such a thing? There should be.

capitalist piglet on April 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I think I’ll search for one on Ebay.

Oink on April 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM

CHI CHI CHI CHIMPY.

seejanemom on April 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM

If ever two were made to grace this novelty it has to be Obama and Joe it captures their total essence.

rsl775 on April 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM

“…chintzy piece of crud no sane person would want in their home.”

Is now a good time to mention that I raised several chia pets as a kid? :-s

gryphon202 on April 7, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I think I’ll search for one on Ebay.

Oink on April 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I was thinking that EXACT THING as I read it…made me want one all the more…..

OH…and the GREAT THING IS …when I go get “refill” alfalfa seeds to sprout his hair, I’ll take it WITH ME to the hippy-assed health food store, slam in on the counter and make them show me where they keep their bulk bins.

Yep. Gonna be a good day.

seejanemom on April 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I WANT ONE!

edgehead on April 7, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I bought one and plan to use it as a centerpiece for an upcoming dinner party. What could go wrong?!

IKIDYOUNOT on April 7, 2009 at 5:32 PM

What you have here is the ‘Bell Labs’ of conservatism. Even a dial-up connection is a source of wonder to most of these people.

crapitulus on April 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Introducing the crapitulus and getalife chia pets. Skunk weed is the greenery.

Here in central New Hampshire, I am 3 miles from an Interstate exit, but will most likely never have anything better than dialup because my part of town is zoned Forestry and Conservation. That means the minimum lot size per house is 10 acres. It’s economically impossible to wire the neighborhood because there are too few houses per road-mile. BTW we’re talking an average property value of between $300,000 to well over a million dollars, so it’s not as if I live in a ghetto. And yes, I can blame tree-huggers like yourself for my lack of speedy internet.

And please don’t insult Bell Labs, where my grandfather spent his career as an engineer starting in the 1920s. He helped develop the first fax machine in those days, and was also one of the pioneers of using telephone lines for live radio broadcasts.

In fact, you wouldn’t be making a fool out of yourself on this forum if not for the fine work those folks did. The labs are now part of Lucent Technology.

Del Dolemonte on April 7, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I’d spring for one. Just because it would annoy the liberals in my office.

Mallard T. Drake on April 7, 2009 at 5:53 PM

It looks more like a Chia Billy Crystal.

LMAO…

The Ugly American on April 7, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Crap !
I KNEW I should’ve picked ine up when I saw ‘em.
Guess I was too busy laughing.
Maybe our Walgreen’s won’t get the word ?
One can um, hope.

pambi on April 7, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Aw. I was looking forward to the next model, the motorized one that looks left and right at the chia teleprompters.

Daggett on April 7, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Truly sickening. Not only is our culture bending over backwards to honor obama by placing his likeness everywhere like some god, but our society is also worried about offending that very same god by doing so.

It’s like getting down on your hands and knees to shine the shoes of dear leader, but then backing off because you worry that touching his shoes might offend him.

Obama has the idiots coming and going.

keep the change on April 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I think it’s just as creepy as all of the other Obama memorabilia.

This isn’t the first Chia Dude, by the way. They used to have a generic Chia guy and no one was upset about his ‘fro.

Candy Slice on April 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I’ll have to do some more digging, but isn’t it possible that Walgreens abandoned Chia Obama because they just couldn’t sell it? I personally don’t want him in my neighborhood let alone in my house. A guy has to have some standards ya know!

DannoJyd on April 7, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Awesome. What could say “Happy Mother’s Day” more than this?

unwashed minion on April 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like they are truly desperate to make this an issue.

Dhael on April 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Awesome. What could say “Happy Mother’s Day” more than this?
unwashed minion on April 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM

This Very Not Safe For Work Link: Obamadildo

BillaryMcBush on April 7, 2009 at 11:01 PM

I wonder when the MSM is going to Rile up All Sharpton about this site?

BillaryMcBush on April 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Please. somebody start selling Obama image pin cushions.

kens on April 7, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 7, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Nice SmackDown of CraptMeSelf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My wife called me to the tv that morning, when the Obama Chia Pet commercial came on. It was a knee-slapping moment for me, and I thought “No way, that HAS to be a joke…”

…but that afternoon, our sorta-local-but-syndicated AM radio guy (Schnitt) had listeners all over the state of Florida and beyond stopping at Walgreen’s and calling in while trying to buy Obama Chia’s! Most were denied…”That item is no longer for sale!” But at least one got through the checkout. I bet they will be going for a pretty penny on Ebay now…

ornery_independent on April 8, 2009 at 1:52 AM

How about an Obama wristwatch like the Spiro Agnew ones?

They could have his head moving back and forth as it ticks as if he were switching from one teleprompter to another…

And then on the hour, have that little chin tuck followed by a pause with a look of all the sagacity and solemnity we’ve come to know and love from Dear Leader.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 8, 2009 at 1:58 AM

What? No onw remembers the Tricky Dick dolls at Niagara Falls gift shops in the early 70s?

Richard Nixon bobble heads wearing a towel that when you put a coin in the clot would well lets just say the name was telling.

When did it become illegal to make fun of the morons who spend their lives trying to convince us to vote for them so they can lie cheat steal and get rich off of us.

BillaryMcBush on April 8, 2009 at 2:27 AM

Not a problem with the concept the real problem is the growth is not nappy enough or should be a growth of black violets.

MSGTAS on April 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM

CHI CHI CHI CHIMPY.

>>>sorry….it bears repeating..like the number of times you ACTUALLY hear it on TV during Christmas.>>>>

CHI CHI CHI CHIMPY.

seejanemom on April 8, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Makes me wonder how much stuff is yanked not because people find it offensive, but because people think that some other nebulous group of people (who don’t actually exist) would find it offensive. It’s pathetic watching this reporter squeeze these people trying to craft a picture of some hypothetical second cousin once removed who has a neighbor next door who has a friend whose ex-wife had a housekeeper whose father-in-law might be offended. Maybe.

Mark Jaquith on April 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM