Video: Troops cheer Obama in Baghdad

posted at 3:55 pm on April 7, 2009 by Allahpundit

People seemed interested in the way he was received at Camp Lejeune in February so I thought they’d be interested in this. Sorry for needing three clips to show it; the first is the only one that has the entrance, the second is the only one that has decipherable audio, and the third has the most extensive footage of his interaction with the troops afterwards. (And a cameo from noted Democratic shill/White House correspondent Jennifer Loven.) For reasons stated in my post two months ago, The One’s morale boosters on Iraq will forever retain an element of the surreal. But I give him credit for making the effort here. It was the commander-in-chief-ly thing to do.

As for the cheers, Andy Levy snarks, “It’s almost like they don’t want him to fail. Or something.” I’d call him a RINO if he was a Republican! Click the first image to watch.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

HA!

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Respect isn’t something that one gets. Respect is something that one earns.

thomasaur on April 7, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Monkei:

This is the thing. Bush gets cheered by troops, who cares. Obama gets cheered by troops, snoopy dance.

Do you have any idea how pathetic you people are. You need validation so badly that after years of acting as if the military vote is of no import, one happy photo op with Obama somehow translates into some kind of victory for you. Pathetic.

Did it ever occur to you that this is not about you? Or Rush? Or any silly little gotcha games?

Terrye on April 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Rome13, you had Bob Hope. We recently had a USO act called “No Duh”. It was a Gwen Stefani/No Doubt tribute band.

I’m not saying it’s changed. It’s just not the same.

pmm on April 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I’m sure this helped boost Obama’s self-esteem.

He didn’t need help, however. He thinks he is loved by all.

deidre on April 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM

HogWild:

I don’t think we are talking in circles, I think we are agreeing with each other.

Terrye on April 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM

getalife:

Who cares? Drudge has a pic about Obama every day.

Terrye on April 7, 2009 at 6:23 PM

pmm on April 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM

What, now I’ve got to point out the crappy USO shows I saw… or even the absolute lack thereof for many many years and tours?

How many times has Toby Keith been over there?

Nope…. crap… gonna shut up… this is just another version of Mine is bigger than yours…

But back in the old days, when we had to sail against the wind, both ways…

Romeo13 on April 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM

They love their Commander in Chief.

Try it cons.

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I loved President Bush when he was C-i-C and you Lefty Libs couldn’t pile enough hate on him…and are still doing it.
So why don’t you try it now, DemocRats?
I seriously doubt there is anything that will get me to “love” Zero for however long he’s in office.
I do feel sorry for him, though–I think he’s been dealing with a ton of emotional baggage all his life and none of it is Louis Vuitton.

Jenfidel on April 7, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I don’t ever want to meet the man that is my husband’s CIC, but I wouldn’t try to convince anyone else to feel the same as me. Military members are free to admire the man (separate from the office) – hell, I see Obama stickers on many a vehicle on the bases around where I live (Virginia Beach). I usually took leave for events like this, excepting only the time Rumsfield visited my command. That was cool. Then again, I was stateside, which makes my experience differ from the norm.

I’ll tell you what bothers me a little, though (slightly OT) – my husband is up for Sailor of the Quarter, and one of the practice questions he was asked was how he felt about the job performance of the President (basically, whether he’s doing a good job or not). He deferred answering, saying that Obama has not been in office long enough to make an informed opinion. His chiefs know my husband is anti-Obama, and he knows a few of them admire the man greatly. My husband and I are afraid that this will be held against him (he’s also up for chief this year). I guess I’m just wondering if this is widespread, or only something endemic to my husband’s command (which wouldn’t suprise me).

Anna on April 7, 2009 at 6:40 PM

But back in the old days, when we had to sail against the wind, both ways…

Romeo13 on April 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Ahhh, you mean the good old days when ships were wood and men were steel…

ladyingray on April 7, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Anna:

I know one young man who joined the National Guard and was sent to Iraq who does support Obama. He is a Democrat, his whole family is and he liked the idea of having a young man as President because he is young I think. But he is not really all that political. I am sure he would jump at the chance to meet the President, any President and get his picture taken with him to send home.

I would think that your husband would certainly be safe to speak his mind however. After all the military voted overwhelmingly for the other guy…if they held back every man who voted against Obama..they would be holding back a majority.

Terrye on April 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Listen,,, all Obama or anyone in the administration has to do, is pick up the phone and call the comapny commander and say,,
“The troops will cheer!” And the Commander says “Yes Sir”
Then the commander orders the troops,,, “You will cheer and show respect to the Office!” Done deal!

JellyToast on April 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Stop taking everything so darned personally, just post more often and let people get to know you. These are good folks, they will more than give you a chance.

Cindy Munford on April 7, 2009 at 6:00 PM
HA!

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM

You were given a chance, getalife, you just blew it.

malclave on April 7, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Unbelievable how many really think the troops were ordered to cheer and carry on.
Their enthusiasm for the CINC shows their professionalism, dedication to country and the constitution. Bottom line: it doesn’t matter who is president, the troops believe in what they are doing and honor their elected leaders. End of story.
Had they booed or sat on their hands it would have been enormously disprespectful and reflected poorly on the uniform.

Anna on April 7, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Having met many military boards myself I can offer that when asked an open ended question the military member is usually being evaluated on their speaking ability and critical thinking skills under pressure.

Bradky on April 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM

dcwvu on April 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Would you concede that their participation was voluntary? The demographics of the crowd did not look accidental.

eaglesdontflock on April 7, 2009 at 7:25 PM

eaglesdontflock on April 7, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I promise you and everyone else, that their attendance was not left up to them. It was going to be standing room only, the Commander of that base would make sure of that. I would even bet a Lt. Colonel was in charge of this dog and pony with a staff of officers and senior enlisted to make sure you couldn’t fit another warm body it when they were done, 2 hours before the POTUS showed up.

Hog Wild on April 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Bradky on April 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I remember those questions, I just don’t remember them being blatantly political (I was onced asked about how I thought the new CO was doing, and floundered horribly). Of course, maybe it’s less dangerous to ask about Obama than the CO! : ) Still, your answer is a bit reassuring – I hadn’t thought of it that way until now.

Anna on April 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Hog Wild on April 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM

that is pretty much the norm for any POTUS visit.
A good commander would want his or her troops to attend to hear what the person who is responsible for ordering them into harms way has to say.

Bradky on April 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Anyone who thinks that wasn`t a hand picked group is crazy! Why, by the looks of things in the video you would think that are entire military over there was made up of minorities and white women.

Rockshine on April 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Anna on April 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I enlisted in the early 80′s. We would get asked questions like “Should marijuana be legalized?”, “What do you think about Reagan’s Strategic Defense Intiative?” or in the nineties “What is your opinion about Don’t ask don’t tell?”

I knew people who won the board who advocated legalization, opposed SDI, and supported or opposed the DADT policy.

And yes you are right about asking a question about the CO! I’d answer “Sir/Ma’am I am invoking article 31!” :)

Bradky on April 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Maybe he’s trying to avoid coming home where the throngs are less cheerful. This man is running out of cheery crowd photo ops. Where to next – Disneyland to pose with Micky and Goofy?

redfoxbluestate on April 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM

“What do you think about Reagan’s Strategic Defense Intiative?” Bradky on April 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM

True story – one of my last oral exams before taking my final test at DLI, I got asked basically this same question, albeit in Russian. Nailed it. Couldn’t give directions to my house, but I knew SDI. My instructors didn’t understand it either. : )

My husband has been before a lot of boards, but rarely gets questions like that. I was a bit of a trouble sailor, and I flubbed the only board I ever had. It’s good to hear from people who’ve had a more ‘normal’ military experience than the two of us (it’s been a trip, though).

Anna on April 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Anna on April 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM

All of us were trouble at one time or another – just ask the vets older than us! Did the mil thing for 26 years. Best choice I ever made and where my fondest memories will always be.

Bradky on April 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Bradky on April 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Four and a half years here, and simultaneously love that I’m out and wish I could go back in.

Anna on April 7, 2009 at 8:05 PM

HA!

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Respect isn’t something that one gets. Respect is something that one earns.

thomasaur on April 7, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Nailed it Thomas. Getaclue will never understand, and will never get any respect. He’s one of the crowd that hurls bombs and wonders why no one ever applauds.

Squiggy on April 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM

They forced them to be excited. I have friends who were given that exact order when Clinton was in office.

Tim Burton on April 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM

24 years in the military – retired as a Master Chief … served at the White House with Bush and was part of the coordination effort for several Presidential visits to troops.

The last thing the military brass ever wants is a BAD reception for POTUS – so the deck is always stacked. About 30 percent of the military actually has a favorable opinion of Obama so … before any visit – a call goes out for “squared away volunteers” who are willing to enthusiastically greet our NEW COMMANDER IN CHIEF! “Show him some (fill in the unit name) spirit!”

It’s not too hard to get plenty of smiling and enthusiastic volunteers to do it.

News flash – many of the crowds you see welcoming the President back to the White House – after he’s been gone awhile – are actually military members in civilian clothing. Often they can even bring their families. It always give the POTUS (any POTUS) the “air of adoration” and the military folks are really easy for clearance by the Secret Service.

This, is how the movies are made in D.C. folks. Just the same as the ones in Hollywood.

HondaV65 on April 7, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Tim Burton on April 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Some units might “force”. I will tell you that the military always gave Clinton a warm reception because the receptions were always “gamed”.

The military very much disliked Clinton. His first action in office was an attack on them – the whole gays in the military thing.

When I was at the White House – there was almost a revolt of the military personnel because Clinton’s staff wanted to ban military uniforms on the White House grounds – this in spite of the fact that we only wore them on Wednesdays. Eventually – the staff settled for banning only “covers” … or for you civvies – hats.

And there was also the time that military members were forced to be butlers at a dinner.

Yes – there was no love for Clinton from the military – but you never saw that did you?

THERE WAS GREAT LOVE FOR GEORGE BUSH – AND THERE STILL IS.

HondaV65 on April 7, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Notice the make-up in the crowd behind him. I’m sure those were ones to volunteer. Highly doubt it was randomly-picked soldiers and instead there was probably a message/email on base asking for volunteers who wanted to see the President and stand behind him. Again, notice the make-up.

DethMetalCookieMonst on April 7, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Anna on April 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM

LOL…. Sea story time…. and as all true sailors know, the only difference between sea stories and fairy tales is that fairy tales begin with “once upon a time”… and sea stories begin with “this aint to shiit”…

well, not shitter here…

Mid 80′s, I was aksed my opinion of putting women on Combatant ships… and actualy voiced my real opinion as to the problems it could entail and would have to be overcome (pregnancies, double standards, social problems)…

My yearly evaluation that year? Best Electronic Tech on the Island of Oahu…. and a 3.4 in equal opportunity… Career Kiss O’ death…

Romeo13 on April 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Those are some realistic military costumes they gave to all those actors!

Grafted on April 7, 2009 at 9:35 PM

They love their Commander in Chief.

Try it cons.

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM

In what branch of the service did Obama almost serve again?

Ah, I remember, it was the Marines. He became a jarhead the first time he boarded Marine One.

Obama Franks Waters LLC — destroyers of the world economy.

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Look, I’m sure there are troops who are requested to give the President a rousing cheer when he gets there, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t sincere.

I can’t really be too explicit on my feelings on Obama. Let’s just say that I’m a non-troll poster on this website and I’ll let you make your own conclusions on the subject.

I’m currently serving in Northern Iraq – no dignitaries ever bother coming up here to see us, and it’s not hard to understand why. Still, as I sat down to eat dinner in the chow hall last night and saw that President Obama had made a trip to Baghdad, I found it uplifting and a boost to the morale.

It didn’t (and doesn’t) matter what my politics are or what my feelings are about the man as President. He’s still my Commander-in-Chief, and I am obliged to support him without question in that role. The effect is the same when he shows his support for us in ways like this.

I just think this is a non-issue, though I agree that the media pooh-pooh’d Bush’s mutual respect for the troops and applauds the President for coming around. That’s a shame.

Red Cloud on April 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Oh and one other thing. I may not be able to discuss my feelings on Obama, but I Andy Levy is just a guy.

Andy Levy is a dope if that’s his reaction.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to download my Rush podcast.

Red Cloud on April 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Another SNAFU

All the troops were Army and they played “Anchors Away”?

What’s up with that?

DSchoen on April 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM

“If anything, it shows the incredible maturity of the Armed Forces. Unlike those schmucks who booed Ann Coulter, tried to assault other conservatives and threw shoes at President Bush….

Mjk”

Ya got a good point!
Can’t get around that.

DSchoen on April 8, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Simply magic.
radiofreevillage

Simply magic? Not really, the troops were screened, advised on what to do.

Couldn’t help but notice, no Air Force, Navy or Marine personnel, I wonder why?

Oh that’s right I forgot.
“Air Raiding Villages and Killing Civilians”
Perhaps that’s why no Air Force personnel.

Gitmo! Guess that explains why no Marine personnel.

But why no Navy?

Oh ya, Obama dropped charges against al-Nashiri, the leader of the USS Cole bombers that killed 17 Shipmates.

Magic? No.

“Even if you disagree with whomever is visiting, you be polite because that’s what an adult does…”

Clear radiofreevillage?

DSchoen on April 8, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Odd…especially since it was Obama and the other members of the Lefty gang who accused them of being baby killers and emboldened terrorists to go to Iraq and kill and maim their buddies.

I wonder if the dead GIs are cheering?

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 8, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Best of all: no reports of shoe-throwing.

benny shakar on April 8, 2009 at 1:32 AM

In his speech didn’t Obama say effectively Iraq needs to take complete control and he is gonna pull them out of there? If I were a soldier I’d be clapping too. What with spending my life living in a desert dodging IEDs, Obama telling me I should pay for it if I get hit by one, all the while he is reducing my air coverage and tactical support, why the heck would I NOT cheer him telling me I can leave and go home now? Just saying…

Sultry Beauty on April 8, 2009 at 6:13 AM

They weren’t forced seejanemom. I noticed the large amount of high pitched hoowaas. The crowd had many a female admirer. The front row was populated with grinning idiots that happened to be black females? They are part of the cult of personality that happens to be in the military. The papparazi presidency continues.

Theworldisnotenough on April 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM

SADLY, you are right, they cherry picked only the most frothing minority women in fatigues they could find…and, well, Marine wife that I am, I can only say….I noticed that they WEREN’T MARINES..**coughcougharmytrashcough***

OH…and the reason I even follow up after this thread is clearly dead is to say that Gretchen on FOX thios morning is interviewing THREE MINOIRTY ARMY WOMEN…two blacks and a Latino…..

THEY SHOULD HAVE PASSED OUT VIBRATORS BEFORE THE INTEVIEW>>> their fawning made me blush. Yes, even ME.

seejanemom on April 8, 2009 at 6:31 AM

But i would be flippin stoked if he came to see me after feeling ignored by his administration for the past few months.
Yngmarine on April 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Yep.

csdeven on April 8, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Clearly, (for those who know me) the typos above indicate I am either on a furious PMS rave or horribly undercaffeinated.

This morning, it is simply the later.

;)

seejanemom on April 8, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Romeo13 on April 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM

And your thoughts proved prophetic, didn’t they?

When my husband was in the Navy, women weren’t on ships. He has always said he can’t understand how it can work out…

ladyingray on April 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Must’ve been the gheyest troops on hand. Screw ‘em.

Coronagold on April 8, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Photo ops are just that…Photo ops. Trust me, seeing their Commander in Chief bow to a muslim King set off intense gagging throughout the ranks…He is a tool, the good ones know it. Most will endure as we did under Clinton. Many will retire sooner than planned, or opt to not re-enlist. Morale will suffer overall…He is who they thought he was…

Nozzle on April 8, 2009 at 9:50 AM

redfoxbluestate on April 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Actually, rumor has it he’ll be in attendance when the Hall of Presidents re-opens in July at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, so you’re not too far off.

Oathkeeper216 on April 8, 2009 at 1:16 PM

seejanemomtroll for hits to her site on April 8, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Your arrogance far exceeds your true worth. Never in the military – marry a military member and then presume to look down on other military members.
Had Huffington made your comments you would have hopped on your high horse of hypocrisy and bemoaned the awful rantings of someone who hates the military.
Fine company you keep there.

Bradky on April 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM