Dem Senator: Card Check will threaten health-care reform

posted at 6:00 pm on April 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Handy excuse or warning shot across Big Labor’s bow?  Michael Bennett (D-CO) hadn’t even appeared on the Democratic waverer contingent in the Senate on Card Check.  Now, suddenly, Bennett is telling constituents to take the Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” to heart (via Greg Sargent):

“We’re going to have to see whether or not there’s a consensus that can be reached that makes it something that can be passed because right now there isn’t something that can be passed,” Bennet told the group at New Belgium.

He said he’s concerned by the hard feelings that are developing on the issue, among organized labor on one side and small-business owners on the other. He said those groups can be allies on many issues, particularly health-care reform, and can’t let the EFCA debate splinter relationships.

“Temperatures are running high on both sides of this. We need to make sure that no matter how this turns out … that we’ve got all hands on deck working on health-care reform because this is the year to get that done,” he said.

I’m guessing this is a mixture of both excuse and warning siren.  He’s right about the employers being a potentially big ally in the push to nationalize health insurance; if they can get those costs off of their books, then they can look healthy — even though the government bite will probably wind up being worse in the end.  Small business owners can eliminate a big competitive disadvantage over larger corporations if Obamacare comes to fruition, and it’s not like businesses of any size have shown much aptitude for long-term thinking recently.

But if labor keeps pushing on Card Check, Bennett appears to warn, they can kiss that cooperation good-bye on health care reform.  Sargent thinks the danger in this argument is giving more Dems cover to break ranks on Card Check, but that ship has sailed, my friend.  Democrats may not have a majority now, even if they could get cloture, which they can’t.  Bennett’s warning that beating a dead horse will put other horses on life support, and he may be right.

Previous posts on Card Check:

Comments

BOTH deals are bad ideas.

Why should we hand off healthcare to socialists when repeated studies indicate 85% of people are happy with current care…this is hardly a national disaster requiring another Turbo Tax Timmy to roar in to the rescue.

Harry Schell on April 7, 2009 at 6:05 PM

It’s about time Ed got around to covering Card Check.

The BEST way to get business on equal competitive footing is get business out of the providing health insurance and retirement savings business.

WashJeff on April 7, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Obama may have spent too much capital and too much taxpayer money on Porkulus, the budget and TARP II (if he gets it), to have much left for health care. His momentum may be slowing down a bit. That can lead to inertia, which is fine. The country seems to be better off when Congress doesn’t do anything.

Wethal on April 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM

As someone who has had multiple surgeries and will need more in the not too distant future, I am extremely concerned about nationalized healthcare. Once it is passed, is there any chance of the next administration (hopefully 2012) reversing its course? This truely has me (and my parents) worried beyond belief.

txag92 on April 7, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Methinks some polling is showing bad tidings for the Libs. They don’t understand that the Progressive Era is over. This is now simply the chicken-without-the-head phase. Or as they might say at Harvard Law, the egg shell client has spoken.

EMD on April 7, 2009 at 6:13 PM

….it’s not like businesses of any size have shown much aptitude for long-term thinking recently.

Funny, you could also say that of the federal government.

GarandFan on April 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM

txag92 on April 7, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I’ve got the same concerns. My eyesight is failing, have had and will need more surgery’s and I’m 58 years old. Will the government tell me if ObamaCare gets passed “sorry, you’re too old, you’ve seen enough” and let me go blind?

I have the best team of surgeons and opthomolgists in the country, I love them and don’t want to lose them nor my sight. I pay for my care out of my own pocket. And as much as I hate to say it, I do believe card check will get passed in some form.

Knucklehead on April 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Dem Senator Hot Air: Card Check Glenn Jericho will threaten* health-care reform Dem Senator

Translation for paranoid libtards:
*[Threaten to throw him out of office]

Glenn Jericho on April 7, 2009 at 6:31 PM

The Chicago and Detroit unions have already been paid off. Remember, it was only 600 Million that unions paid to Obamas campaign. Seemed like a lot of money at the time…but now…

percysunshine on April 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM

The left doesn’t need healthcare reform.

Let those damned hippies eat roots and berries from Mother Erf since they love her so much.

Mother Erf. Good.

Drug Companies. Bad.

madmonkphotog on April 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM

This is the most crucial election in 2010. We have to take this one. He will be an easy target if we get our act together. This is the time for Pete Coors to get back into politics.

Jdripper on April 7, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Knucklehead on April 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I know that in Great Britain, there is a certain type of blindness that is common in older people. They won’t operate until they go blind in one eye. Don’t expect things to be any better here.

darwin-t on April 7, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Well, if you believe in freedom, this sucks:

New and worse secrecy and immunity claims from the Obama DOJ

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 8:20 PM

BTW, the democrats still own Card Check.

DannoJyd on April 7, 2009 at 8:46 PM

So we can eat the bag of crap that is card check or drink the vat of urine that is Obama’s health care “plan”.

Great choice.

How about we just forcibly exile every Congressional Democrat instead and bar Obama from returning from the country?

That is far more palatable.

Bon appetit.