Putting kids at risk with CPSIA?

posted at 11:58 am on April 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Hugh Hewitt’s new column in the Washington Examiner looks at one of the many unintended consequences of the bad legislation known, in this case ironically, as the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, or CPSIA.  Earlier, we looked at the destruction CPSIA wreaked on thrift stores and home manufacturers of children’s goods, and how the Consumer Product Safety Commission changed its enforcement policies to protect the former.  Congress refused to fix the CPSIA when it had a second chance this year, though, and Hugh explains how that puts children at risk rather than protect them:

Thousands of children 12 and younger ride motorcycles, ATVs and snowmobiles, which is why a lot of effort and time has gone into designing vehicles made for smaller folks. On Friday, The Wall Street Journal noted a study by the Motorcycle Industry Council that concluded “90% of the youth fatalities and injuries on motorcycles occur when kids ride adult vehicles.”

On Thursday of last week, the Senate of the United States voted 58 to 39 to reject an amendment to the budget bill designed to keep kids on bikes designed for them and thus off adult vehicles. The reason the amendment was offered by South Carolina’s Jim DeMint is because the 2008 “Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act” mandates that products containing even trace amounts of lead –trace amounts highly unlikely to ever come in contact with a child’s digestion system– were banned from sale to children 12 and under.

The law took effect in February an instantly made it illegal to sell the kid-sized vehicles because of nearly undetectabl amounts of lead in tire valves, brakes, batteries etc. Replacement parts for vehicles for kids are similarly interdicted.

The Journal quoted Ken Luttrell, a Democratic state house member from Oklahoma as noting the obvious: “With these new regulations, Washington has only succeeded in making biking much more dangerous for kids.”

Instead of using ATVs designed for small children, which take into account power, protection, and stability, children will have to use ATVs and motorbikes designed for adults.  When current inventory in mini-ATVs expires, parents will either have to ban children from using the machines or allow them to use machines not expressly designed for children.  The result will either be an economic blow to manufacturers, an increase in injuries and deaths among children using ATVs, or both.

Note that the CPSIA did not intend to address some remarkable number of injuries in ATV use.  Until now, four-wheel ATVs designed for children have had a good safety record.  Families have used them for years without a wave of allegations of safety problems.  The bill focuses on lead content in products, not in stability or impact-safety issues.  And yet the effect of this legislation will eliminate the safeguards built into the mini-ATV industry for the negligible trade of eliminating lead contact that would be essentially meaningless.

Hugh tried to explain this to Nancy Nord, chair of the CPSC.  “The last thing we want,” Nord replied, “is for young children to end up on adult ATVs, and this is a really, really perverse consequence of this law.”  Two weeks later, she issued a memo endorsing the enforcement of the CPSIA for mini-ATVs.  Apparently, getting children on adult ATVs isn’t the “last” thing Nord wants.

I find it ridiculous to point this out to Congress, but children do not eat ATVs.  The lead content of its components will not end up in small stomachs.  Children do not ride ATVs without being clothed, so skin contact is minimal and transitory.  What’s next — banning cars because children might ride in them?  This is an object lesson as to what happens when Congress passes bills based on slogans rather than a clear reading of the legislation itself.

Comments

Rush talked about this on his show a couple of weeks ago.

Children do not EAT ATVs, at least not yet.

iamse7en on April 6, 2009 at 12:00 PM

US Government, saving people from themselves one corpse at a time.

DrAllecon on April 6, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Overlawyer.com has been all over this story. Check them out for their extensive coverage.

Shtetl G on April 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Well, conservatives already opened the floodgates of monitoring what we expose to ourselves…it makes sense that government would now monitor what you expose your children to. If it can be illegal for me to ingest marijuana or cocaine, it can be illegal for me to put my kid on an ATV.

ernesto on April 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

nanny state is for wussies

gatorboy on April 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM

ernesto on April 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Holy non-sequitor batman.

lorien1973 on April 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Ridiculous as I’d expect from such a creature as congress.

matthew26 on April 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I got hit by a car when I went airborn all Knievel style across a dirt road on my KX-80 when I was 12.

If only they had had more legislation….

cntrlfrk on April 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM

ernesto on April 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Because snorting a line of cocaine is the same as hopping on an ATV.

This is ridiculous though. I remember Rush had a caller a month or so ago, he was a manufacturer for ATVs and he believed that the bill targets ATV manufacturers to create a target-rich environment for trial lawyers. It’s an interesting theory, I think it’s probably close to the truth.

John_Locke on April 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Soylent Green is made of ATV’s!!!

connertown on April 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM

The intelligence of politicians cannot be underestimated. Keep reminding them.

zmdavid on April 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Rush talked about this on his show a couple of weeks ago.

Children do not EAT ATVs, at least not yet.

iamse7en on April 6, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Don’t be so sure. Anyone too dumb to allow their children to participate in such blatantly redneck activities as riding ATVs & motorcycles is obviously too stupid to teach their kid not to eat said ATV/motorcycle. They probably teach their kids how to handle guns too. Won’t somebody please think of the children?

Eat Arugula, not ATVs!

landshark on April 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM

If only they had had more legislation….

cntrlfrk on April 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I remember my father told me how he had a dirtbike that propelled him over the hood of a car and broke both of his legs and ruined a summer. All because congress hadn’t legislated enough.

John_Locke on April 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM

What’s next — banning cars because children might ride in them?

No, No, we need to ban car seats because they facilitate the contamination of our children by the eeeevil cars.

trubble on April 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM

ernesto on April 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

False analogy.

Wethal on April 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Nah… yer missing the point…

They will ban the kid ATVs due to this silly rule…

And then when fatalities spike, they will then ban kids from ALL ATVs for their own good…

Remember, any manly type of fun is totaly against the liberal mindset….

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM

ernesto on April 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

With this, I am on your side. Once you disregard the constitution for one item (drugs). You can disregard the constitution on other items.

Nearly 100 years ago our citizens knew to ban the drug alcohol they had to amend the constituion. If we want to ban marijuana, cocaine, et. al., we need to have a consitutional amendment to do so (which I would support).

Once the constituion becomes just a historical document, this kind of SH*T can happen all too easily.

WashJeff on April 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM

When I was 6, I drove an ATV into the wall of a shed. (it’s a long story, well, not really). I remember thinking after I finished crying, “If only the government had more regulations.” Because the one thing that would have saved me from making that stupid, stupid decision was some little pencil necked geek sitting in an office regulating the bejeebers out of ATVs.

mjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Tangentially related: I’ve often wondered whether all the ridiculous safety regulations hampering the U.S. automobile industry (roll bars, etc.) have contributed to cars that nobody wants to drive (becasue they’re unsightly, etc.0 also, the protective “armor” that safety law requires makes the venicles ironically more dangerous, as half the time you can’t even see out the tiny portholes that pass for windows!

max1 on April 6, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Anyone who thinks Washington solved problems is dead wrong.

Washington creates problems and then taxes us to death for more boneheaded “solutions” to the problems they created, which create more problems, which require more “solutions” and more taxpayer dollars, etc.

The real solution is to not expect Washington to solve anything, because they really can’t. A bunch of lawyers, lobbyists and brain dead legacies (e.g. Kennedys) are not going to solve anything.

NoDonkey on April 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Remember, any manly type of fun is totaly against the liberal mindset….

I’m a chick. I’ve driven ATV’s for years. How’s about any completely fun activity is against the liberal mindset?

Next they’ll be banning dancing and jumping out of planes….

mjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Next they’ll be banning dancing and jumping out of planes….

mjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM

That’s one crazy nightclub in the sky you go to. Can you take your drinks with you when you jump out of the plane?

WashJeff on April 6, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Next they’ll be banning dancing and jumping out of planes….

mjk on April

Bite your tongue. No, wait…I think they banned that.

SKYFOX on April 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM

That’s not the ATV’s we thought we knew!!! Under the bus with the lot of you!

HomeoftheBrave on April 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM

ernesto on April 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

You’ve totally convinced me. Please ingest as much cocaine as you can right away.

TMK on April 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM

We have gone from the sublime, to the ridiculous.

In the meantime, lobstermen in Maine, and all along the eastern seaboard, are being forced to throw away perfectly good “floating” ropes, which they must replace with more expensive “sinking” ropes – that wear out faster – in order to reduce risk to whales…

If Darwin is right, survival of the fittest will insure that man has no future.

singlemalt_18 on April 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Glad you finally pointed this out. This has nothing to do with lead in the motorcylces or ATVs. They want all children under 16 years old from ever riding any ORV (off road vehicle). They tried in the past to do this, but could never get the support, so they just found another way.

kbass on April 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM

It’s a requirement, dude. They even put the little plastic top on the cup before you jump. Then again, this might have been a dream I had…..

mjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:28 PM

But it’s for the children, people! Can’t you see?! It’s for the chillllllldren!!!
*SOB*

Rhinoboy on April 6, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Congress is too busy passing laws, they don’t have the time to read them.

GarandFan on April 6, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Yep.

And the only point of stupid regulation is so they can then regulate the consequences.

29Victor on April 6, 2009 at 12:32 PM

mjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

Why am I the only person who has that dream?

29Victor on April 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Next they’ll be banning dancing and jumping out of planes….

mjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM

OK…. can we agree on the term non Wimpy behaviour?

/bows to PC’ness

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:35 PM

29Victor on April 6, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Actualy, I think its deeper than that…

You won’t see Alan Colmes jumping out of planes… you won’t, as in the past, find Hollywood types on big game hunts…

When you surivive, and thrive, doing risky things without someone keeping you safe, you gain confidence in your own individual power…

And the Left is all about Collective, not individual, Power.

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:38 PM

OK…. can we agree on the term non Wimpy behaviour?

/bows to PC’ness

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I can agree to that. Non wimpy behavior it is!

Change naked women to naked men and little pickles to Cadbury Mini Eggs, and yes, it is exactly the same dream.

mjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Lets face it… take any high risk pursuit, and you won’t generaly find overly liberal people invovled….

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Never been to a bathhouse in San-Fran, have you?

29Victor on April 6, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Never been to a bathhouse in San-Fran, have you?

29Victor on April 6, 2009 at 12:41 PM

LOL…. I grew up 90 miles South of San Fran…

And I contend there is a difference between Risky, and stupid…

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Ed, how dare you assume this isn’t exactly what CPSIA wants?! banning ALL ATV’s is the ends. dead kids are the means. gotta break a few conservative eggs to make a government omelet.

cpr on April 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Romeo13

+10 on this thread.

Jvette on April 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM

ernesto on April 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

You know, that is the weirdest post you have ever made…have you been eating lead paint?
Just a couple of questions…have you ever known a kid to eat an ATV? Shoot up an ATV? Smoke and ATV? Meet in a school parking lot and sell ATV?
Good Lord, you are a pathetic creature…

right2bright on April 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Remember, any manly type of fun is totaly against the liberal mindset….

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM

exactly. according to liberals, all men must become pansy ass fems and have hobbies that don’t upset anyone. jesus christ i need a drink. and i don’t even drink!!!

Ghoul aid on April 6, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Romeo13 on April 6, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Never been to a bathhouse in San-Fran, have you?

29Victor on April 6, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Quote of the week to 29Victor.

peski on April 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM

ah, Freud’s classic “Gherkinspiel Gotterdamerung”

max1 on April 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM

were banned from sale to children 12 and under.

Is this actually what the law states? In which case, isn’t the sale of ATV’s and MX bikes usually to the parents, and not directly to the kids?

Keith_Indy on April 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM

If Darwin is right, survival of the fittest will insure that man has no future.

I think that’s there plan to save Mother Earth.

Keith_Indy on April 6, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Crikey.

My kids are far more at risk of Valley Fever riding in the dust kicked up by adult ATVs than they are from the lead in the enclosed gel-cell battery inside their own ATV.

desertdweller on April 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Question. Batteries contain lead; and as a father I know first hand how many toys require batteries, therefore how long until our nanny state overlords come after my daughter’s talking unicorn?

smfoushee on April 6, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Banning children from cars really should be our next step. I mean, look at how much time kids are in those lead-containing deathtraps! Why, we’re basically FORCING children to spend time in cars, even strapping them into child safety seats so they can’t escape the lead particles that may be drifting by them at any moment!

Such a ban would have the unintended consequence of making my friend’s back seat cleaner during road trips.

hawksruleva on April 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM

The Senator from my state lives this issue of product protection, stopping manmade global warming and all the other liberal crusades so it will be a life time of public service. This Senator will be re-elected forever by 65% of the vote. This Senator will never sponsor one meaningful piece of legislation for however long the position is held. This Senator will vote the party vote without ever having any idea of what the bill really accomplishes or what it even says because it is a blind rubber stamp for the party. The other Senator is even more hopeless than the first one if and when the other state clowns can decide who voted for whom. I have to conclude this is what the people of my state want. The Senators occasional get some publicity when they direct a little pork to a local cause to ensure their positions as Senators and friends of the community.

rsl775 on April 6, 2009 at 1:08 PM

If Darwin is right, survival of the fittest will insure that man has no future.

I think that’s there plan to save Mother Earth.

Keith_Indy on April 6, 2009 at 12:58 PM

You’re probably right. What’s perverse is that Mother Earth clearly doesn’t need saving. Global warming, if it happens, would harm some species and help others. Indeed, aquatic life would probably thrive in warmer conditions, and the creation of new marshlands caused by the predicted rise in sea levels.

So “save the planet” nonsense is really “save my beachfront” nonsense. Even if we humans heated the planet and somehow wiped ourselves out, Mother Earth would be just fine.

hawksruleva on April 6, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Bottom line is elites don’t like motorcycles, or physical sports for kids. They should be in play groups learning about how bad America is.

PattyJ on April 6, 2009 at 1:18 PM

mjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I seem to recall that you were also wearing a hat.

29Victor on April 6, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I am sick of this constant intervention by the feds into things they have no business regulating or restricting.

If a product is defective or dangerous, the manufacturer should suffer the consequences which the free market enforces.

One way to ensure this is by removing the ability of a company to settle a law suit without accepting blame, and eliminating the non-disclosure contracts.

Jvette on April 6, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I hope one emerges from the woods and runs over Pelosi.

marklmail on April 6, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Are there any truly free countries left in the world?

TheBigOldDog on April 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Are there any truly free countries left in the world?

TheBigOldDog on April 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM

This is still the most free and it is that which makes all of these government grabs for power the most frustrating. We, who value our freedom and are willing to take responsibility for our own actions have nowhere else to go.
These government loving socialists have dozens of countries where they could go and live under government oppression. Instead, they choose to bring that oppression to us. F the lot of ’em.

Jvette on April 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM

US Government, saving people from themselves one corpse at a time.

DrAllecon on April 6, 2009 at 12:01 PM

What happened to limited government.

Tim Burton on April 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I hope one emerges from the woods and runs over Pelosi.

marklmail on April 6, 2009 at 1:22 PM

LOVE IT!

Ghoul aid on April 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

All part of the liberal agenda of protecting us by banning all “agressive toys” and feeding our kids ritalin so we have a society of beta males. Like the ones at Va Tech who stood around or ran away while a nutcase cut a womans head off. What doesnt kil you……

faol on April 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Damn, and I was really in the mood to eat a couple mini-ATV’s and a small motorcycle or two this year. But noooo, that would be hazardous and stuff.

Hey, put a warning label on it if you have to; but let me eat in peace.

gekkobear on April 6, 2009 at 1:46 PM

If only they had had more legislation….

cntrlfrk on April 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM

When I was 12, I was driving cars.

I think there was already government legislation about that. ;o)

kakypat on April 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM

The CPSIA is a sledgehammer attempt at making kids safe. My Senator is one of the “proud” sponsors of this P.O.S. legislation. He REFUSES to acknowledge that it is HIS responsibility to correct the over-reaches in the law and instead passes the buck to the CPSC to “adapt” the law to fit reality. The CPSC’s job is to enforce the law as WRITTEN, not to figure out what Congress meant to write.

Resellers like Goodwill and the Salvation Army are affected which in turn affects 100,000’s of people in this economy.
Libraries are affected because books printed prior to the mid 80’s contain trace amounts of lead in the ink.
Home based businesses are affected because they don’t have the monetary resources to pay for the testing of EACH component of their goods for lead. So, they either have to shut down or become outlaws. **Think toy trains carved out of a wooden block and then painted — the wood has to be tested, each color of paint has to be tested…Think Confirmation dresses — each color of cloth has to be tested, each type of button has to be tested, each color of button has to be tested, each applique has to be tested, each color of applique has to be tested…

ATV sales to kids have stopped in Montana and Arkansas. Book donations to libraries are being turned away. Books are being pulled from library shelves. Home based businesses are shutting down. Resellers are turning away donated goods…

One last thing, each of the 50 state Attorney Generals are authorized by this law to ENFORCE the provisions of the CPSIA even if the CPSC decides to stand idly by. Won’t that be fun?

Gohawgs on April 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

instead of stopping “rednecks” from driving their ATVs & killing the “children”, why doesn’t the damn federal govt. try to stop the 12 year olds from selling crack at the middle school?

kelley in virginia on April 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Completely useless statistics in the guise of revelation really annoy me.

I’m assuming it really is true that its safer for kids to ride vehicles sized for them -it makes sense. But without knowing the % of time “youths” (including adult-sized youths) are riding adult vehicles, that 90% is a meaningless number.

taznar on April 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Pretty obvious (once again) that these morons have never heard of unintended consequences.
Be interesting to see what happens if sentient beings become involved with this.

irongrampa on April 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I had a similar experience. I can tell you the only “regulations” I was concerned about having broken were my dad’s.

taznar on April 6, 2009 at 2:44 PM

My wife and I were trying to buy a 50cc model 4-1 wheeler for our kids to use. The dealer we went to, said he has a whole bunch of them, yet he couldnt sell them thanks to this stupid nanny state protection. So we are having to move up the model chain to a 150cc model.

In a recession, our government is intentionally harming businesses and manufacturers to the point where they to will have to lay people off, not due to the economy, but due to government over regulation.

Who eats 4-wheelers?

TheHat on April 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM

It may be plainly listed on the side of the ATV, not to be operated by anyone under 16, but our kids can’t read because our schools suck.

workingforpigs on April 6, 2009 at 3:07 PM

As should be obvious to anyone with a working brain(sorry if that eliminates most of Congress), any law so complex that it cannot be read in its entirety prior to a vote, is not a law we should be putting on the books.

I had a book of puns in my youth. One sequence ran:

Loss : the Rules we live by. As In “I just updated the Tax Loss”

Centaur: A person who makes our Loss. “Centaur Specter from PA”
Incongruous: Where Centaurs make our Loss. “Centaur Specter described his work Incongruous”

At the age of 9, I thought the image of a person with a horse’s ass being responsible for our “Loss” was amusing. Now I find it depressing.

OBQuiet on April 6, 2009 at 3:08 PM

THIS IS GOVERNMENT NANNY STATE OUT OF CONTROL:
I am an avid off-road motorcyclist (or was until the 1200+ page wilderness bill was signed by the Obama and the dem’s on Monday that took 2.1 million acres away from all Americans.) I’ve been doing so for more than 30 years and started when I was about 8 years old.
As with most all government intervention, this law is having unintended consequences. This bill does not just effect the sales of new Off Highway Vehicles for children. It effects any and all repair parts for those vehicles. Now if one of these vehicles that needs to be repaired, the manufacturer can not sell the part, so the vehicle will be repaired w/ a part that is not the manufacturers original equipment or worse a part that is not engineered for that use. HOW SAFE IS THAT?
Also, if you are attempting to repair an ATV suitable for an adult and the repair part needed for your vehicle happens to also be used on a child’s model ATV, that part cannot be sold!!!!! So you cannot fix your adult version ATV either.
OUTRAGED

JeffVader on April 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM

What’s next — banning cars because children might ride in them?

That is the ultimate goal, after all.
David

LifeTrek on April 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM

US Government, saving people from themselves one corpse at a time.

DrAllecon on April 6, 2009 at 12:01 PM

And where did this all begin???? China! China! China! China sending crap disguised as consumer goods. And what does our glorious congress do to rectify the problem??? Attack American industry. Attack American households! Attack American consumers!!

JellyToast on April 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM

There is a growing attempt to make the world 100% safe for humans of all ages. Of course, this cannot be done.

It cannot be done for several reasons. The reason I place first comes from decades of contemplating designing foolproof equipment for military communications. We put the issue this way, “Every time we make our XXX more fool-proof God decided to knock us in the hubris and provide better fools.”

The second reason in my mind is simple. Any purely safe world would be purely regimented, without risks, and a terrible utter bore to live in.

The third reason is so simple and obvious I put it third rather than first where some might think it belongs. It is MY responsibility to behave in a safe manner. If I screw up, then I screw up.

Research into safety is a good idea and should be encouraged. Rather than legislating it, however, we should create an utterly toothless testing board that cannot make rules or enforce rules. All it can do is report on product safety for various products. And it should publish its findings. Then it is ENTIRELY up to the consumer to pick a level of safety he or she is willing to accept for himself or herself and for any children for which they are responsible.

I am not responsible for your children. Nor is the government. We are each responsible for our own children. It may be sad that some parents earn the Darwin award one step removed by providing their children entirely too convenient ways to kill themselves. So be it. That is part of paying for your freedom.

{^_^}