Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on April 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

George Bush’s critics rightly roasted him for his tortured syntax and waterboarded grammar, and used it to make the claim that the graduate of both Harvard and Yale was an idiot.  Well, perhaps, but I don’t recall him ever claiming that Austrian was a language.  It takes a highly-esteemed intellect, it seems, to miss the fact that Austrians mainly speak German:

It was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There’s a lot of — I don’t know what the term is in Austrian — wheeling and dealing — and, you know, people are pursuing their interests, and everybody has their own particular issues and their own particular politics.

Austrians speak German primarily — and I’m sure some Austrians speak languages ranging from Albanian to Swahili, being an intelligent and cultured people. However, none of the speak Austrian, because it doesn’t exist.

I got a deluge of e-mails on this, so thanks to all who sent the tip.  Other bloggers on this Obamateurism:

Update: LGF claims they have a clip of Bush bowing to Abdullah, but he’s actually bending down to receive a medal from the Saudi king.  Bush is much taller than Abdullah, which would have made it impossible for Abdullah to get the medal around his neck otherwise.  We can question whether Bush should have accepted a medal from the Saudis, but he wasn’t greeting Abdullah with a bow.

Update: Removed the references to French and Italian. One tourist site mentioned them, but the CIA factbook doesn’t, and I’ll take them as definitive.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

kanda,
Obama could’a said “how it’s said in Austria” and you can say he should’a or would’a said “in Austria” or “in your dialect” but listen to your Messiah as carefully as you want him to be heard, and note well that he clearly wanted to say wheeling-’n-dealing “in Austrian,” loser. You fail to have earned a job either as his prompter or editor. Dream on your own expense account, not ours, spreader of corrupt poverty. You’d convert ill-intent as “good” on your own lack of merit revisionism.

maverick muse on April 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Forget about the Austrian blunder. Listen to those ahs, and uhs. You can tell that he and TOTUS had a fight. TOTUS was giving him the silent treatment.

keep the change on April 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Americans predominently speak english at this time. In 20 years that may change to Spanish.

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Don’t you mean Mexican?

Disturb the Universe on April 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Ha!

Ed Morrissey on April 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Go n-éirí an bothar leat … agus go luath. That’ Irish.
Ed Morrissey on April 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Is it actually called “Irish” or something else?

Bishop on April 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Disturb the Universe on April 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM

In these parts, it’s actually more of a ‘Spanglish’. Crazy, ultra-fast mix of Spanish and English that gives you mental whiplash listening to it.

bikermailman on April 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Ed Morrissey on April 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

A laugh from Ed; my day is made.

Disturb the Universe on April 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Obama kissers, you are the ones who said Obama was the smartest president in American history.

You are the clowns who said it will be super awesome to have a scholar representing us overseas.

Listen up: the guy reads a teleprompter. He is a fraud and it ought to embarrass the crap out of you that you fell for him.

See you at tomorrow mornings Obamateurism of the day, suckers!

jeff_from_mpls on April 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM

kanda or others:

Not to belabor the point, but I’ll give you a very clear example: If someone is Puerto Rican or Dominican, they don’t say “I speak Puerto Rican” or “I speak Dominican”, they will say, “I speak Spanish”. Spanish is the official language of these nations, albeit they both have very distinct dialects.

bikermailman on April 6, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Cup-O-Joe, Texan, get it right. ;-) I’m no kiss a#*, but Ed is the man…we all have limits.

RepubChica on April 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Ed Morrissey on April 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM

A man after my own heart….touche’ You see Ed they make it up as they go. Sillier and Sillier. For instance the one mentioning the “mexican” language and the one mentioning employment applications both obvisusly know nothing about the subject. Employment applications usually (unless relevant to the job) ask nothing about language only heritage and then it uses Spanish not mexican to do that.

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM

ha ha too funny….Sometimes people can’t see the forest for the trees.

kanda

LOL as kanda runs headlong into one tree after another in a pin-ball effect because kanda only sees a forest, having no idea whatsoever of the forest’s content.

maverick muse on April 6, 2009 at 8:57 AM

RepubChica on April 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Absolutely right.

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

A laugh from Ed; my day is made.

Disturbed Mentally on April 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM

You get pwnd and your day is made… Seems somehow apprapro…

doriangrey on April 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I think she is just arguing with herself at this point, folks.

A Balrog of Morgoth on April 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Press Release from WH:

“Actually President Obama is correct. The great Austrian historian and linguist Baron Helmut Von Nikki Lauda back in 1647 referred to the language spoken by the Austro-Hungarians as Austrian. President Obama learned this while studying at Harvard University.”

Caper29 on April 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Anyway I have to run. Obama is a real ineffective President so far. We are in trouble big time and you folks are more concerned about that language the Austrians speak. Ha ha ha!!!

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 9:00 AM

You get pwnd and your day is made… Seems somehow apprapro…

doriangrey on April 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

No, I didn’t.

Disturb the Universe on April 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I speak the only two I need. English, and the language of love!

rightside on April 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM

It’s going to be tough to top this one for the weekly winner, but I have faith in The One.

JohnTant on April 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM

doriangrey on April 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I think you missed the meaning.

progressoverpeace on April 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM

back in 1647 referred to the language spoken by the Austro-Hungarians as

Bwahahahahahaha!

Go read some English printed in 1647 for comparison to today’s in usage and in definitions. LOL, go Baroque.

maverick muse on April 6, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I speak the only two I need. English, and the language of love!

rightside on April 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Rightside….. Morning dude… Got to saddle up the ole turtle and head off to work, hope everything is well with you… ;)

doriangrey on April 6, 2009 at 9:03 AM

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Dude, dudette… where did you see me insist on it being “pure” German. It was a technicality on Obama’s part, willful ignorance, or researchers toiling night and day to feed the ‘prompter probably dozed off for a while…no biggie…not the end of the world.

RepubChica on April 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM

The Great One has said the language is Austrian. According to the Ministry of Truth, it has always been Austrian, and will always be Austrian.

pablo5108 on April 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Without Constitutional authority and against contractual law, given that Obama refuses repayment on TARP loans in order to OWN our nation’s banking system, watch carefully any efforts on his part to manipulate the fight between German and Swiss bankers.

maverick muse on April 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM

At the end of the day, whether other past Presidents made mistakes, gaffes, goofs, etcetera, they all acted informed and “Presidential”. They responded to the world as the “Leader” of the free world. ObiWanBeDopey’s screw ups are not minor in the least. The “world” is watching this guy very closely to see if they can take advantage of us. I think Bozo the VP was correct in his irresponsible premonition that “we will be tested…” The empty suited One acts neither Presidential nor as a “Leader”. He acts like an appeaser, a follower, a mainstream blend-in kind of guy. He looks and acts uninformed, arrogant, and weak. Not the type of leader our country is used to nor will it tolerate for long. We all see how he is selling us, our sovereignty, our wealth, and our freedom down the river – to the glee of the world’s despotic regimes. Time for a REAL change….

HomeoftheBrave on April 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Ed ask Charles this:
Does a a soldier bow to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor? Did Blair bow to Bush when he gave him the Medal of Freedom?

Regardless what you think of the Saudis a medal is an honor given to the recipient. The King is showing a sign of respect to Bush. This is how Heads of State show respect, not by bowing like some coolie.

Rocks on April 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM

As I said at Ace last night, we’ll all be speaking Esperanto soon anyway. His Overlord, Soros, is one of the few native speakers, and pushes its acceptance.

bikermailman on April 6, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Morning dorian, have a great one!

rightside on April 6, 2009 at 9:08 AM

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Tomorrow we will take a stab at walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Just admit you got pwned and move on.

Bishop on April 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Austrian German is similar to the German spoken in Bavaria. Still, Obama is such a neophyte that I expect more of these gaffes over the coming years. Let’s see if Leno or Letterman make any jokes about it.

Hilts on April 6, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Obama is fluent in Gibberish.

And I’m with Ed , you could discuss the medal meddling but it wasn’t a bow.

the_nile on April 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I can’t wait for Obama to come home and visit my state again so he can teach me how to speak “Californian” or Cali-fornian according to our Austrian speaking gubinator.

Rovin on April 6, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Is it actually called “Irish” or something else?

Bishop on April 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Gaelic.

Johan Klaus on April 6, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Perhaps if Obama had convened that subcommitte he chaired, he would be more familiat with aspects of Europe.

onlineanalyst on April 6, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Press Release from WH:

Caper29 on April 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM

If they really said this, it’s a serious stretch.

When he goes to Greece, is he going to say “I don’t know the term in Hellenic”?

venividivici on April 6, 2009 at 9:29 AM

No, it’s usually called Irish in Ireland. The textbooks call it Irish as well, ie. Learning Irish, etc. They usually use “Gaelic” to refer to the native Scots language. In Irish, the Irish language is called Gaeilge, pronounced “Gayle-gyeh”.

Ed Morrissey on April 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Charles @LGF has lost his bearings a bit with his discussion on that Bush Abdullah video. He’s comparing apples and oranges, making the case that all modern Presidents has kissed the Saudi’s rear ends because of oil, but he completely misses the point of Obama’s culturally inept gesture towards the king last week. Holding hands, getting a medal and yes even kissing are signs and tokens of friendship among equals. Bowing to the point of licking someone else’s shoes is a sign of submission.

There is a stark difference.

smfoushee on April 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Uuhhh..It was interesting…uuuuhhhh….to see….uhhhh….that political action in europe is not much different than in the United States…uhhhhhhhhh….I don’t..uhhhhh….know what the term is in Austrian uhhhhhh….but…uhhhhhh, there was a lot of wheeling and dealing…uhhhhhhhh…..people were…uhhhhhh…..pursuing their own uhhhhhhhhh interests uhhhhhhh…..

This arrogant …uuuuhhhh…dolt can’t….uhhhhhh…speak an entire 3 sentences without…uhhh….. TOTUS and not sound like an….uhhhhhh….. idiot. The press, however, is sure that he’s a genius and no mention of uhhhhhh any of this.

TheBlueSite on April 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM

There was actually an only slightly more subtle gaffe:

So, Mr. Educated Intellectual didn’t expect that? Either he’s being very condescending, or he’s revealing his astonishing naivete.

mr.blacksheep on April 6, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Oh, and I got a charge out of Oboingo’s body language: he expected a chuckle from his saying “don’t know what the term is in Austrian” but was met with an embarrassed squirm. You could see in his face that he felt awkward, probably realizing how condescending he was sounding.

mr.blacksheep on April 6, 2009 at 9:37 AM

mr.blacksheep on April 6, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I noticed that, too. Given that politics everywhere is “the organization of hatreds”, how anyone could expect it to be different in Europe and America is beyond me. Now, in those countries that pursue “politics by other means”, i.e. war, sure, the daily give and take of political struggle would be different from the US Senate.

venividivici on April 6, 2009 at 9:41 AM

What you would expect from an ignorant multiculturalist.

Er, ah, I don’t now what the term is in American?

Angry Dumbo on April 6, 2009 at 9:44 AM

First off, let me state that in my vocation I do a lot of public speaking. Thus, the occasional flub, gaffe and mis-speak are inevitable. Your best bet when they happen (WHEN, not IF) is to admit it, have a little fun at your own expense and then move on.

So, Obama’s gaffe is funny, but in the end, no real big deal considering how much public speaking he does.

Which is the response the ObamaTrolls should have taken.

Instead they want to argue the inarguable (I’m sorry, but Austrian IS NOT a language) or make interesting comparisons to previous presidents.

And it is that last part I find particularly amusing.

In an attempt to protect Der Leader, they equate his misspeaks with those done by President Bush and Vice President Quayle – both of these are people the ObamaTrolls believe are incredibly stupid.

Thus they are putting Der Leader on the same intellectual plane as people they believe are idiots.

Heh.

Yes, they were pwned…

…but worse yet, they pwned THEMSELVES.

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I am sure he also can’t differentiate Australia from Austria.

This was well known before the election.

seven on April 6, 2009 at 9:46 AM

One other thought…

…during the campaign when it was repeatedly brought up that Obama had no real executive or leadership skills and experience, we were assured that the man’s will power and oratory skills would be more than enough.

So now that the bloom is off the rose and Al Qaeda still hates us, Iran is still building a nuke and North Korea is launching missiles…

…and his oratory “prowess” is limited to his ability to read off a teleprompter…

…tell me again WHY he’s qualified to be president of the local stamp club much less qualified to be president of the United States?

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM

There is no getting around the fact that those who defend/can’t laugh at Lefties like “57 States” 0bamessiah when they make the same kind of gaffes they attack/laugh at Righties for making are stupid jerks.

This Brent Bozell article has some good 0bamessiahisms from the past: Barack Potatoe Obama?

Bizarro No. 1 on April 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM

They also assured us that his “judgment to lead” would make up for his lack of experience, until actual questions about his judgment became “distractions.” He’s a total swindler and you’re right, he has no business being anywhere near the oval office.

OneGyT on April 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM

What a condescending boob. Gee, those European rubes practice politics the way we do in America, imagine that. How is that any different than Hillary’s stupid claim that American democracy has been around longer than European democracy?

Oh those wacky Europeans with their wheeling and dealing. How do you say “stupid idiot” in Chicagoan?

The Brits are already laughing at this fool. Soon to be joined by the rest of the continent.

EMD on April 6, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Seriously? You’re reaching. There is an Austrian dialect of German and I guarantee you that Austrians would not want to be folded into German. They have an unfortunate history with that don’t you know.

Career Hack on April 6, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Stop telling wiki to do your thinking for you. Even their own founder says it’s not a reference source.

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM

“…but he wasn’t greeting Abdullah with a bow.”

I tried to convince Charles at LGF of this very same logic, all I got for my troubles was to get my account banned. I had seen other people complain about similar reactions at LGF, but I had always dismissed them as nuts. Its too bad really, I enjoyed that site for the past 5 years.

Check for yourself
how Charles will not accept any other explanation for Bush lowing his head other than that of bowing. My screen name was Kalixiri.

Bellerophon on April 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Thats Iceberg,not Icebeg!Ugh!

canopfor on April 6, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Thanks for that clarification.

If you were Obama and said that, hacks would have immediately swamped the thread with claims that you were just referring to panhandlers from Reykjavik.

Loxodonta on April 6, 2009 at 10:12 AM

WH response ….. “Actually President Obama is correct. The great Austrian historian and linguist Baron Helmut Von Nikki Lauda back in 1647 referred to the language spoken by the Austro-Hungarians as Austrian.”

Caper29 on April 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Baron Helmut Von Nikki Lauda was gay.

“President Obama learned this while studying at Harvard University.”

So now we know what Obama was studying all those years at Harvard – obscure Austrian historians from the 1600′s. Too bad he didn’t take any courses in ecomonics or history.

fogw on April 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Your ignorance knows no bounds…..

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Wow, getalife’s potted plant showed up.

Here, kid, stick this language in your bong and smoke it.

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM

DTMH, are you THAT much of a hack that you’re going to argue that there is any such language as “Austrian”? They speak German. German.

I guess my question answers itself. What a suck-up.

Ed Morrissey on April 6, 2009 at 8:10 AM

You tell ‘em Ed! Btw, DTMH should take his own advice.

Hey wait: don’t they speak Austrian in our 57th state?

Sweet_Thang on April 6, 2009 at 10:14 AM

No, you got me. I clearly cannot defend the indefensible. Obama doesn’t know if Austrians use the term wheeling and dealing.

e-pirate on April 6, 2009 at 8:31 AM

He doesn’t even know “Austrian” isn’t a language. But keep making excuses for embarrassing gaffes you’d be crowing over if a Republican made them.

Jim Treacher on April 6, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Geez. Does this go towards proving that Obama knows how to say “wheeling and dealing” in Manchurian?

The kid has not been trained very well.

misslizzi on April 6, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Wow, getalife’s potted plant showed up.

Here, kid, stick this language in your bong and smoke it.

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2009 at 10:19 AM

speak the only two I need. English, and the language of love!

rightside on April 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM

The cats on my back porch speak that language every night and it drives me nuts, rightside.

catlady on April 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM

And why are you surprised he does not know that Austrians speak German? He thinks we have 57 states – so I guess world geography is the same kind of terrible subject for him as US Geography! And why all the protocol snubs? I firmly believe he does not care what protocol other nations have, as long as he is revered….
More interesting, he went to Europe claiming he would get support for Afghanistan etc. However, the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, showed that SHE had some backbone – gave him absolutely NOTHING!!! At times like this I am proud to be a former German! Talked to my mom (lives in Germany still) on Saturday, and we discussed all the media hype etc. in Europe quite a bit. According to her, there were several protests, some even towards our dear leader!!!! Where were they in our media??????

mkosin on April 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Obama doesn’t know if Austrians use the term wheeling and dealing.

e-pirate on April 6, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Obama should think it’s a safe assumption. It’s not like they’ve never dealt with Hungarians throughout their history.

misslizzi on April 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Bellerophon on April 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM
It’s a shame. LGF used to be able to handle disagreement. I read your comments there, and I saw nothing that warranted banning.

flipflop on April 6, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Doesn’t take much. Charles likes to keep his groupthink within very narrow boundaries.

mr.blacksheep on April 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Bellerophon on April 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM

There is something odd going on with that guy. I always knew he wasn’t a straight-down-the-line doctrinaire conservative, which was no problem, until…well, I do not know when. I just know the LGF I followed fairly regularly several years ago is not the LGF I see today on my occasional drivebys.

Charles is adopting the same logic as the trolls here: “Bush did it too, and did I mention that some rightwinger somewhere called for impeachment?” Unreal.

Sorry you got banned.

A Balrog of Morgoth on April 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Saying Austrian is a language is like saying Ebonics(urban slang) is a language.

Clyde5445 on April 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Bellerophon on April 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I have LGF on my RSS reader and the first thing – the FIRST thing – I thought when I saw the video capture was “That’s not bowing, he’s lowering his head to receive a medal.”

Sadly Charles and LGF has taken a turn toward “teh crazee” wherein everyone must walk in lockstep with Charles. In fact, I think he just closed the Lizard Lounge because -gasp- some people actually disagreed with him!!

Something similar has happened over at Patterico’s – if I hear/read one more thread about how we have to play nice and watch our language because it isn’t what we mean, it’s how it’s INTERPRETED (by complete hateful morons, btw)…

…I’m going to reach through my monitor and perform some ‘puter rage on him!

Well, no.

But I really do need to take him off my RSS feed.

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Which is the response the ObamaTrolls Ed should have taken.

no. it’s conservatives who are now aching to get revenge for the trauma they suffered (post-bush stress disorder). they say “you mocked bush for being inarticulate, now we get a chance to mock obama even if we have to stretch things.” what “obamatrolls” do is point out the hypocrisy in this – when people were mocking bush for his so-called diplomatic blunders, you were defending him “in an attempt to protect the Dear Leader.”

sesquipedalian on April 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Austrian is not a language.

Sorry, but it isn’t.

Thus it’s not ‘stretching’ to poke fun at him for this.

Umm, no.

You weren’t simply pointing out gaffes – you and other lefty trolls were using typical gaffes to make some point about how a Harvard and Yale educated jet fighter pilot is actually some kind of idiot.

While there ARE those here who think Obama is an idiot – I think the bigger point is that off the teleprompter he is inarticulate and uninformed.

The points here are:
1) The country was “sold” on Obama being gifted with a silver tongue. Turn out it was simply clay spray painted silver.

2) A President has advisers to make sure he gets all the details correct. Yet Obama keeps making really simple and stupid gaffes. He should either hire better advisers or, better yet, do some research himself.

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Sorry you got banned.

A Balrog of Morgoth on April 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Peeking at LGF (I hardly ever post there any more) it seems as if Charles is sort of having a bit of a break down. He is rapidly descending into Andrew Sullivan territory. Too bad – I just to spend hours posting on LGF and we owe him a debt of gratitude for exposing the Rathers/Mapes Air National Guard fraud.

Hilts on April 6, 2009 at 10:52 AM

sesquipedalian on April 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM

LOL. “profits and earnings ratios”

Didn’t need to stretch anything. The guy is a total moron. Not only doesn’t he know what a P/E ration is, he’s also too stupid to know that you don’t use “and” to describe the factors of a ratio – something any 8th grader ought to know. I’d love to see the idiot messiah’s SATs. I’m sure they are very embarrassing.

The guy has the intellect of a small pebble. Live with it.

progressoverpeace on April 6, 2009 at 10:53 AM

RE: A Balrog of Morgoth

Yeah, I had noticed a difference too, but until this happened, I could not put my finger on it. I don’t mind someone disagreeing with me, as long as they are open to discussion. I just hate that a site such as LGF that has contributed so much to debunking fauxtography and other fake news has sunk to a point where constructive criticism is no longer accepted.

Bellerophon on April 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on April 6, 2009 at 8:09 AM

heh heh heh. . . .

Amateur.

geckomon on April 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM

e-pirate on April 6, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I repeat.

heh heh heh …

Amateur!

geckomon on April 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM

sesquipedalian on April 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM

What an outrage. You poor thing.

Jim Treacher on April 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM

sesquipedalian on April 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Well, at least you have a pulse, I will give you that. Instead of epic fail, you merely fail.

Hypocrisy is a bit of a two-edged sword when wielded by my friends on the left. Especially since we on the right don’t claim to be nonpartisan independent centrists. Most of the people here mocking Obama are openly partisan, and the vast majority of today’s mockers were defenders of Bush yesterday. So what? Where is the hypocrisy in mocking the guy who ran as “not-Bush” when he croutinely commits Bushlike verbal blunders and malapropisms?

The left spent eight years setting the table, so why shouldn’t we sit down and partake in the feast now so freely there for the eating?

A Balrog of Morgoth on April 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM

A Balrog of Morgoth on April 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Because it’s not fair! Everything was going so well!

Then he took office.

Jim Treacher on April 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 8:32 AM

It must be the “Hour.”

Amateur hour.

geckomon on April 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM

That’s Hypocrisy!

The first, last, and only weapon of the leftwing debater, and the only Alinsky tactic that actually makes any sense when exported off-campus.

A Balrog of Morgoth on April 6, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Austrian is not a language.

Sorry, but it isn’t.

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM

There is only one definition of Austrian.

Austrian (noun): Of, from, or pertaining to Austria, or its people.

This error will be corrected when Obama’s Newspeak Dictionary is published.

Loxodonta on April 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I’m glad he didn’t know what the term was in Austrian. It would have been worse if he did.

unclesmrgol on April 6, 2009 at 11:11 AM

You could write a book of Obamateurisms just by compiling the extemporaneous (i.e., sans teleprompter) “jokes” he’s given. Many are awful, and revelatory of his narcissism/self-absorption. The worst examples are some of his off-the-cuff, “humorous” remarks made when he’s giving speeches to a live audience. “The Humor of Barack Obama”. What a great book idea! :)

Paul-Cincy on April 6, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Im from central pa and I sometimes use Pennsylvania Dutch.

ahem…its not a language either. ;)

becki51758 on April 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Hey, becki, me too. :D “Er ist ann aesel.” For it not being a written language, phonetics work just fine.

hoosiermama on April 6, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Paul-Cincy on April 6, 2009 at 11:12 AM

And don’t even get him started on his bowling.

Jim Treacher on April 6, 2009 at 11:16 AM

One other thought about “hypocrisy” –

Neither George W. Bush nor Dan Quayle were lifted up as “great orators” before their election.

ObamaTrolls simply can not stand that the emperor has no clothes.

You know, the first step toward healing is admitting you were duped; not attacking those who point out the obvious.

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 11:24 AM

And don’t even get him started on his bowling.

Jim Treacher on April 6, 2009 at 11:16 AM

In the spirit of Obama humor, in the world of bowling, he’s a “spaz”.

Paul-Cincy on April 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM

keep the change on April 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Actually, I think it’s dueling teleprompters. Now that he uses multiple ones, they are getting jealous and trying to undermine each other.

Jvette on April 6, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Paul-Cincy on April 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM

(Pssst. Leno?)

Jim Treacher on April 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

In other news, Newsweak’s new “poll” has O’bama’s job approval at 58%.

However, to get his approval number that high, they had to sample 19% more Democrats than Republicans. 19 percent more.

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Ich bin ein Berliner!

Grafted on April 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM

One other thought about “hypocrisy” –

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Likewise, Dubyah never ran based on his service in the Texas Air National Guard. Yet his opponents sued to demand that he release all of his military records. Which he did.

Yet they then ran out and happily voted for his opponent, who had himself refused to release all of his military records.

Liberalism is a mental issue. No doubt about it.

Del Dolemonte on April 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Did anyone catch the look on the face of that woman when they cut away from TOTUS? She’s presumably the one who asked the question and she looks like she’s on the verge of peeing her pants she’s so thrilled.

BTW – how would he know that “wheeling and dealing” goes on the US Senate? It’s not like he crafted any legislation or worked across the aisle in the short time that he had a seat.

landshark on April 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Ed,

Austrians do not speak german. They speak Austrian. Do the countries that speak the romance languages all speak the same language? same-o same-o for Austrian-German.

kanda on April 6, 2009 at 8:32 AM

By the way, German is a Germanic language — as is English. Germanic languages are not in the Italic language family, although both are a member of the Indo-European family.

Wikipedia’s Austria entry indicates that the official language is German.

Wikipedia’s entry on Austrian German

There is no such thing as Austrian, or Austrian-German, any more than there is “United Statesian”, Canadian-English, or American-English. When we refer to American English, we are actually referring to a class of English dialects spoken in the lands covering the United States. Some of those dialects are closer to the English spoken in London than they are to each other.

The Austrian dialect of German is essentially Bavarian, and would be understandable by nearly any German speaker when they are drunk.

unclesmrgol on April 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Ed, You need to make a separate vault for these so we can easily retrieve them when we need them.

thanks.

nolapol on April 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

And still hasn’t, if I recall correctly.

I’m still hoping he goes ahead with a lawsuit against SwiftBoat Vets for Truth.

-heh-

Another thought on hypocrisy:

The left complains about how much an idiot George W. Bush is/was…

…but the last three Democratic presidential nominees have been Al Gore, John Kerry and now Obama.

Gore and Kerry will go down in history as two of the worse major party presidential candidates ever.

And Obama is quickly making a case for unseating Jimmy Carter as worst president ever.

Religious_Zealot on April 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

this is a minority opinion.

you’re willing accomplices in stupidity. congrats.

sesquipedalian on April 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Religious_Zealot

Imagine his ranking after four years, if we live that long.

SKYFOX on April 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

thanks.

nolapol on April 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Agree. A nice compartment in the right hand corner would provide quick and easy access.

misslizzi on April 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

landshark on April 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Well, he might have observed some other Senators wheeling and dealing, not that I have any basis to suppose that such an ethical and aboveboard fellow would necessarily recognise that sort of thing going on around him.

I am sure the inconvenient timing of the release of the records of his opponents’ divorce proceedings was entirely coincidental. As were the disqualification of enough petition signatures to get a Democrat primary opponent disqualified. Pure happenstance. Luck of the Irish for our man O’Bama.

A Balrog of Morgoth on April 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM