Obama assassination plot foiled in Turkey? Update: Hoax?

posted at 5:25 pm on April 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Turkish security forces claim to have foiled a plot to assassinate our President, at least according to the Saudi daily Al-Watan.  The assassin posed as an Al-Jazeera reporter, and confessed to having three other accomplices (via Tommy Christopher and the College Politico):

Turkish security services have arrested a man of Syrian descent who was planning to assassinate US President Barack Obama during his current trip to Turkey, the Saudi daily Al Watan reported Monday.

According to the report, the man, who was arrested on Friday, was carrying a press card identifying him as an employee of Al Jazeera. He reportedly confessed to his intention to stab Obama with a knife and said that he was aided by three accomplices.

The report stated that Turkish authorities were still unsure as to whether the press card was a fake or whether it had actually been issued the man by the Qatari news network.

For their part, Al-Jazeera says they have no idea who the man is, or how he got the ID.

I’m not seeing anything in the wire services or in the American newspapers about this attempt. I’m unsure as to whether this is for real, or just a Saudi or Turkish fantasy.  If so, it’s a strange one; why would they want to concoct a story where a Muslim plotted to kill Barack Obama?  He didn’t the kind of adulation in Turkey that some may have expected, but he certainly got a warm reception. If they were going to make something up, they probably could have thought of something better than a knife attack.  It takes four people to conspire to a stabbing?

If it’s on the level, we owe the Turks a big thank you.  We may oppose Barack Obama’s policies, but he’s still our President.  I’m betting that this is something less than advertised, however.

Update: The AP reports that this is a hoax, but the details sound less convincing:

Turkish police detained a man after receiving a hoax tip that he was plotting to kill President Barack Obama but quickly released him without charge, a government official said Tuesday.

The official, who is close to police operations in Turkey, said police detained the suspect — a Turkish national — on Friday after receiving an anonymous e-mail which even gave the suspect’s address in Istanbul. He spoke on condition of anonymity because of rules that bar civil servants from speaking to the media without prior authorization.

“There was nothing serious. Police released the man and said he was mentally disturbed,” the official said. “The tip turned out to be a hoax. The IP address from which the e-mail was sent was traced to the United States.”

So police arrested — and then released — a mentally-disturbed individual?   Um, okay.  The tip came from an e-mail from the US, or at least someone using an e-mail system based in the US, but they had the suspect’s address and apparently knew his mental state.  I’m not sure the word “hoax” is correct here; maybe “overreaction” might be better.

The Secret Service will follow up on the report, but as I suspected, it was less than advertised.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I don’t envy the Secret Service. Wonder what their average blood pressure is?

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

You are on the same side as AQ when you side with MikeA.

Uhh, nope. I am not on the same side as AQ, and I never even mentioned a plan to harm anyone. All I said was I thought the story was a plant, and that I would not be terribly upset either way. It is looking more and more like the story is false, so you can probably get your panties out of your crack now anyway.

It’s not your freedom of speech. You can go paste whatever you want on your own blog, but this isn’t your own blog. The printing press here is owned by someone else.

unclesmrgol on April 6, 2009 at 9:14 PM

You are correct there; and I assume that somone is not you. I very much am in favor of the owners of this site having the final word on who does and does not get to post here, but I’m not a supporter of the concept of you and your ilk being able to vote someone off the island because they say things you don’t want to hear. It’s a tough world out there. Deal with it.

Like you, I too hope, and pray to see Obama defeated in the 2012 election, and to have his agenda stopped by a change on the House in 2010. Now if things just happen to prevent him and his cronies from dis-allowing the next election. I’d not bet on that one either.

MikeA on April 6, 2009 at 11:13 PM

If true then I hope they tortured the info out of the terrorist urban malcontent, yet Google has nothing on this so far.

Shame on me for considering this, but I wonder if the ObamaBots at Moveon, KOS, the Huffington Post, ect… think this is as funny as when that other ‘reporter’ attacked Bush. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did.

DannoJyd on April 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Still finding nothing, so WTF is this all about? Garnering some sympathy for the boy president so as to alleviate some of the pain felt by his abject failures as of late?

DannoJyd on April 6, 2009 at 11:27 PM

No Edm he’s not my President until he shows up with the paperwork.

Better luck next time!

larvcom on April 6, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Awright, just saw it on FoxNews from Twitter. Link here, but not much info about the guy. Lotsa fun for the traveling press corps, though, it sounds like.

I’m still skeptical.

TeeDee on April 6, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I wouldn’t put it past Obama to fake an assassination attempt to get people’s minds off what a failure he is.

amkun on April 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Turkey has a deep bench of these people?

Dr Evil on April 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM

MikeA on April 6, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I deal with it every day. And that doesn’t stop me from voting against the shrill hatred you expressed in your post.

So deal with it yourself. You’ve been warned once.

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I don’t envy the Secret Service. Wonder what their average blood pressure is?

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

They are the only police service in the United State trained not to take cover from gunfire if taking cover exposes the person they are protecting.

These people are prepared to die protecting the President.

I would expect that they are in the best of health, and their blood pressure is pretty low in comparison to some commenting on this site.

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 1:51 AM

It wouldn’t completely surprise me. Everyone seems to think that the hatred abroad for America was all about Bush. It’s not…it’s a chronic hatred for our country without regard to whomever’s running it.

Glad they got the rats.

flipflop on April 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM

You are 100% correct, it has nothing to do with Bush. They are a bunch of tyrants who hate freedom. They need to have America to hate to maintain their power and popularity among their subjects. They paint themselves as a great protector against the evil American Satan. They will hate America if the President is a democrat or a republican, a conservative or a liberal, white, black, Asianan, Hispanicic, or even an Arab. They do prefer Obama to Bush but only because Bush pays hardball with them while Obama plays softball. They see sucking up to them as a weakness and easy to exploit. This goes for Hugo Chavez and Kim Jong Il as much as any Islamic facist.

Dollayo on April 7, 2009 at 2:44 AM

This sounds like a poorly conceived terrorist plot man-made disaster.

SCOOPTHIScarlos on April 7, 2009 at 3:44 AM

God almighty, could you imagine what this would do to the country if The One became a martyr? Yikes! glad they caught the guy!

JeffVader on April 7, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Can an usurper even be assassinated?

Oh that’s right – Hot Air ignores that story and tells us to bow to the monkey. His birth was announced in the local shopper, for God’s sake!

Mr Purple on April 7, 2009 at 6:21 AM

Ya right! a knife attack?

How about an old fashion shoe in a large size?

try again later on April 7, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Even the dim witted, clue-less Biden would be a step up from a dedicated domestic enemy of the US who’s adgenda while temporarily occupying the office is to neuter the military, crush the economy, destroy our status as the world’s only super power, install socialism, erradicate the middleclass, force the majority of the population into poverty and addict them to government aid for survival.

Whatever happens to this clown I won’t shed a tear.

Alden Pyle on April 7, 2009 at 7:50 AM

dunny. Biden said on a local baseball interview in one of the booths, that if the economy recovers and middle class doesnt he’ll consider their tenure a failure. The way he said it seemed like its already a plan.

johnnyU on April 7, 2009 at 7:59 AM

maybe he was going to throw his sandal at him

workingforpigs on April 7, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Is a hoax?….I don’t know how to feel about this news, either sad or relieve. Obama is making so much damage to America.

Falz on April 7, 2009 at 9:30 AM

The old saying of “when things get messy, here comes jessy” is now getting replaced by “you always get drama with barrack obama”

workingforpigs on April 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Which part is the hoax? The thought that Europeans would want to see something happen to the filthy liar or the sham of a President that the left and idiot McCain “Republicans” foisted on this nation.

Everyday I pray that God might free America from the very evil people currently in charge. Really, and I mean it. The filthy liar’s agenda needs to fail and that is going to take more intervention than bastard Republican politicians who are quick to attack Rush Limbaugh for stating that Obama needs to fail.

highhopes on April 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Gee UncleSmegol
Who died and made you king????
You “warned” MikeA for “shrill hatred”???
You need to get a grip on your undies….they seem to be in a bunch and are interfering with your thinking….
Seems that if you want to have a site where you can control everything everyone sez that you don’t agree with, you should really try the Daily Koz………
Your kinda show…..
Sorry it took so long to respond, but I have a life…don’t need to post @ 1 am in the morning…..

colonelkurtz on April 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM

The muzzies love Ogabe Hussein Soetoro, why would they kill the man who’s fulfilling their wish of destroying America?

thinkagain on April 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Obama should have been an ambassador instead of POTUS. He is never more popular than when he’s out of the country.

chunderroad on April 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Your kinda show…..

colonelkurtz on April 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I didn’t even notice that you “took so long” — very full of yourself to have invented a life which prevents you from posting at certain times of the day. Most people just assume that the other people commenting do indeed have other things to do with their lives.

You are a brave knight to come champion Mike against the foul dragon stench of unclesmrgol. I’m sure he needs your sockpuppetry. Now, be quiet or I shall taunt you a second time.

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Mr. Teleprompter’s poll numbers were falling…………

…………. so they had to think of something.

Seven Percent Solution on April 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM

***
Remember who shot the Pope 20 years ago–a Turkish “student”.
***
Remember how the Taliban killed a friendly warlord just prior to our intervention in Afghanistan. A group of “reporters” supposedly from one of the Arab news agencies interviewed the warlord. One had a “video camera recorder” filled with explosives. He blew up the warlord and himself during the “interview”.
***
Give Osama Bin Ladin and his ilk their due. They are good generals and come up with simple plans that work well. 1400 years of assassinations have taught them a lot.
***
President O’Bummer (PBUH) is always a target.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on April 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM

And then Yavuz Berke was going to fly in and rescue him and take him to Canada.

Or something.

PattyJ on April 7, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Great job in getting our respect back from the world President Obama.

Well done sir.

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Great job in getting our respect back from the world President Obama.

Well done sir.

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM

That’s not respect you hear.

It’s laughter.

cs89 on April 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM

That’s not respect you hear.

It’s laughter.

cs89 on April 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Yes, the troops and the President had a fun gathering in Iraq.

I agree.

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Muslims. Muslims killing Muslims. Are the happiest people in the world.

argos on April 7, 2009 at 12:38 PM

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM

If you honestly think a “fun gathering” can be held in a war zone, why you are a bigger idiot than I thought.

ladyingray on April 7, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Yes, the troops and the President had a fun gathering in Iraq.

I agree.

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM

You mean the guys on which he tried to stick the bill for their own active duty medical care?

“You will be critical in terms of us being able to make sure Iraq is stable, that it is not a safe haven for terrorists, and we can start bringing our folks home,” Obama told troops at Camp Victory, the sprawling U.S. military base on the outskirts of Baghdad.

I’m waiting for the pictures with the hand gestures.

Obama Franks Waters LLC

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Great job in getting our respect back from the world President Obama.

Well done sir.

getalife on April 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM

You haven’t been reading the London Times, the Guardian, with Obama’s waffling (yes, he certainly had them in London) to that British reporter who had the, uh, temerity, uh, to ask a, uh, hardball question.

The demonstrations in Istanbul.

The French townhall in Strasbourg where not a single Frenchperson was called.

And they don’t know the Obama we know.

Obama Franks Waters LLC — destroyers of our economy.

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Obama Franks Waters LLC — destroyers of our economy.

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Too weak.

bama Franks Waters LLC — destroyers of the world economy.

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Can an usurper even be assassinated?

Mr Purple on April 7, 2009 at 6:21 AM

Disgraceful!! Calling the sitting president a monkey. Like it or not a clear majority elected him president. Respect the office if you don’t respect the man.

Ric on April 7, 2009 at 1:20 PM

unclesmrgol on April 7, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Ric on April 7, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I don’t know anything at all about the man, because that was all kept very quiet during the run-up to the election. All we were ever allowed to see was the crafted and managed image of the candidate. Any attempt to get past that and see what kind of man was behind the curtain was met with screeches about racism. All we have left is public image of Obama, and that is something that is totally repugnant to anyone who believes in individual liberty.

How then are we expected to just take the approach that “well, he was elected so we have to respect him for the office”, even when we see that he is working to destroy the very fabric of our nation? I don’t respect that, and I don’t plan to get to the point that I respect that. I have been accused of “hate” here, and while I realize that was another attempt to throw out the racism roadblock, I totally reject the premise. I don’t hate Obama the man, since I don’t know him. But I do hate the entire agenda he represents, and I would hate it no matter what color his skin might have been. Martin Luther King Jr. dreamed of a time when a man was judged not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character. I agree with that view, and it is exactly the content of Obama’s character, as revealed by his policies and agenda, that I judge to be completely unacceptable. It seems that the color of his skin is only important to those who wish to use it as a shield to criticism of his character.

I have as much right to my views as you have to yours. I am not trying to tell you how to express your views, and I’d thank you to not tell me how to express mine. No, I don’t have a “right” to say anything on this blog, and I would respect HA’s right to stop anything I have to say. But unless you are the owner of HA, I don’t really care what you happen to think about that, and I don’t care what you think about my not caring.

MikeA on April 7, 2009 at 1:49 PM

if The One became a martyr? Yikes! glad they caught the guy!

JeffVader on April 7, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Me too or we’d have another JFK to hear about in glowing historical prose-of which reality glaringly diverts.

Badger40 on April 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM

This was a sham, the Turks never miss.

workingforpigs on April 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Dollayo on April 7, 2009 at 2:44 AM

add to that list Assad of Syria, the Castor brothers of Cuba, Hu Jintao of Communist China, Ortega of Nicaragua, Ahmadinejad & Khameini of Iran, Putin of Russia, the pirates of Somalia, Hezbollah, Hamas, and so on.

I fear that Obama’s weak-kneed foreign policies will usher in an era of America-bashing that makes Jimmy Carter’s assklowned Reign Of Terror look like a joke.

CatchAll on April 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM

What? Was TOTUS actually a target? OH NO!

ProfShadow on April 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM

The thing that disgusts me [now] is that if this HOAX had gained any traction it could have emboldened a terrorist true believer to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Again, I’m certain the ObamaBots, unlike me, would have loved getting a martyer for their godless church of liberalism. That may be the last chance they have of winning future elections.

DannoJyd on April 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM

This was a sham, the Turks never miss.

workingforpigs on April 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I’m inclined to believe on both points, the sham part and the Turk part. It doesn’t pass the smell test. I think this was supposed to ease suspicion about Obama being a Muslim, along with the touted “overwhelming support from the military.” It was political theater.

I was in Istanbul for the British embassy bombing. I saw a whole block taken out when a styrofoam sculpture was set on fire for sport. The heat blew the windows out of all the shops for several blocks. If they had wanted to assassinate Obama, a slingshot and a grenade would be more like Turks.

chunderroad on April 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Whatever burnishes Barry’s image.

Next it will be neo-Nazis foiled in an equally fallacious “plot”.

Builds up the Messianic myth.

profitsbeard on April 7, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I don’t envy the Secret Service. Wonder what their average blood pressure is?

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM

3428/1252 last I heard. Stick one with a pin and he’ll explode.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on April 8, 2009 at 7:51 AM