Charles Blow advocates public flogging, screeches at hyperbole

posted at 11:38 am on April 4, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Maybe you haven’t heard of New York Times columnist Charles Blow until now.  There’s a good reason for that.  In the same week, Blow has screeched at the hyperbole of conservatives while advocating the public flogging of a Detroit executive.  Hypocrisy much?

Here’s Blow today shaking in his boots:

Lately I’ve been consuming as much conservative media as possible (interspersed with shots of Pepto-Bismol) to get a better sense of the mind and mood of the right. My read: They’re apocalyptic. They feel isolated, angry, betrayed and besieged. And some of their “leaders” seem to be trying to mold them into militias.

At first, it was entertaining — just harmless, hotheaded expostulation. Of course, there were the garbled facts, twisted logic and veiled hate speech. But what did I expect, fair and balanced? It was like walking through an ideological house of mirrors. The distortions can be mildly amusing at first, but if I stay too long it makes me sick.

But, it’s not all just harmless talk. For some, their disaffection has hardened into something more dark and dangerous. They’re talking about a revolution.

Some simply lace their unscrupulous screeds with loaded language about the fall of the Republic. We have to “rise up” and “take back our country.” Others have been much more explicit.

Aaaaaand here’s Blow on Tuesday:

Yesterday President Obama threw General Motors Chairman Rick Wagoner under the Buick, and forced Chrysler into a shotgun marriage with (F)ix (I)t (A)gain (T)ony. Apparently, GM and Chrysler didn’t do a good enough job on their homework assignments.

Something doesn’t feel right.

I’m not saying that the Despots of Detroit deserve a break (Wagoner should be flogged in the streets for the Hummer alone), but the use of the guillotine could be a tad more egalitarian.

According to Blow’s standards, he’s apparently vying to become the Robespierre of the nascent populist movement.

No, I don’t think that Blow meant that Wagoner should be dragged out of his home and beaten by angry mobs, but that’s what he wrote.  Neither do I think that the people quoted in Blow’s column today are suggesting that Americans form militias and take to the streets in armed rebellion.  They’re talking about political action through the electoral system, the same way the Left used “take our country back” during the Bush administration.

Maybe Blow needs to take a deep breath, and maybe the New York Times needs to find a columnist who can keep from beclowining himself in a single week.

Update: Rick Moran says Blow ought to get out more often.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

athensboy’s worried.

LOL

maverick muse on April 4, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Aptly named columnist, for so many reasons. The only question left to ask is whether his columns suck rather than blow.

Jewel on April 4, 2009 at 2:01 PM

the Hummer is popular in Iraq.

Blow’s never been out of the big apple or even looked at a picture book of desert lands that are vulnerable to winds, sandstorms from hell, thunderstorms and flooding making the Hummer an excellent choice for those with big bucks.

I bought an Isuzu Trooper years ago specifically because I wanted an SUV with 4-wheel drive capable of off road transportation through hill country, as I had a lot of driving for out-of-town work, regardless of weather that includes thunderstorms and flooding.

If Blow contorts himself so out of shape over the Hummer, it’s his self righteous indignation that weekend warrior executive AMERICANS buy the Hummer to drive on highways. QUESTION: what the hell does Blow own or drive–and has he ever been in a gas-hog limousine or private jet or speed boat? F8cker. He’s special. His egalitarian sensitivities require that WE are NOT special. But he is.

maverick muse on April 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Jewel

Touché

maverick muse on April 4, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Ed people talk all the time on this site about revolution. Open your eyes man. Talk of buying guns and ammo, hinting about other things. I read the posts daily, don’t lie to me.

athensboy on April 4, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I bought a generator a few years back, and keep extra fuel at my home. I keep food stores as well.

Paranoid?

No. I expect of myself to be prepared in the event of disaster.

If I felt that the government was close to outlawing the sale of generators, I would rush out to buy a few more before it happened.

If I could, I would buy 1000 gallons of gasoline now, while the price is low, given the current winds of carbon-phobia in the body politic.

I am currently in the process of raising the level of food stores given the current economic climate.

If you find that a threat to the Power of the State, I can understand why you’ve confused buying firearms and ammo before they are legally unavailable is too.

You see, a revolution is being perpetrated upon the rights of man, by an international cabal. Some are smart enough to disarm themselves of victimization.

If we’re lucky, posterity will thank them for their diligence and sacrifice, regardless of your paranoid fantasy.

Saltysam on April 4, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Jewel on April 4, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows. -Bart Simpson.

mrsmwp on April 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM

But you don’t get it; it’s OK to have these contradictory feelings, because he’s a leftie. That means he can’t be hypocritical, racist, partisan, etc.

Midas on April 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Anybody who disagrees with Blow must be a racist.

After all, that’s what the definition of racism is.

notagool on April 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Midas on April 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM

And he’s a black leftie. Which means that he can say anything he wants (even contradictory statements) as long as he toes the party line, but if he gets out of step his own side will eat him alive.

They said we need to “talk honestly about race.” There. I just did.

29Victor on April 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Charles Blow has never replied to my emails….hmmmmmm.

SouthernGent on April 4, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Funny how a guy named “Blow” scoffs at a “Hummer”.

PappaMac on April 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Someone needs to do a roll call of HotAir members. I think one of the End-of-the-World guys just blew away 3 cops. I wonder if he was a Christian because he just booked a room in Hotel Hell for eternity.

“Three Pittsburgh police officers killed by gun-loving maniac; afraid Obama would limit gun rights”

It’s nuts like this that WILL cause a public backlash and result with stronger gun laws. Psychological screening will be be made part of the test to own weapons.

SocratesShadow on April 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Well, I say Mr.Blow should take a dose of his own medicine, for working for a two bit, political rag, that panders to liberals, rather than be a forthright , unbiased news source, that protects EVERY citizen from the ills of government.

Since I find that reprehensible, not to mention his baiting, to the angry mobs, that this kind of behavior might be acceptable….then let the flogging begin, Mr. Blow.

What goes around, comes around.

capejasmine on April 4, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Do you think maybe this columnist got his job because he’s… black?

joe_doufu on April 4, 2009 at 3:17 PM

“And some of their “leaders” seem to be trying to mold them into militias.”

Really…………..

………… and exactly who would that be?

Seven Percent Solution on April 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM

SocratesShadow on April 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM

lets see, he lived in a DEEP BLUE state, just like the shooter in NY….probably some crazed liberal. you know like Manson.

right4life on April 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM

right4life

Go ahead and criticize me but there will be political backlash for all these mass murders happening so close together. I’m not blind to what’s been going on and I do think Rush and Beck are highly influential to these type of people. I would hope Beck devotes a segment on his show to clearly pointing out what’s wrong with this type of thinking.

SocratesShadow on April 4, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Blowhard.

bluelightbrigade on April 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Kind of O/T:

And how important is Glen Beck? There are tens of millions of conservatives in America and Beck has a show on Fox watched by a little more than a million people.

[RWNH]

Um, the Lefties call people who watch or listen to Glen Becker “Beckers” then does that mean that the people who watch Kieffy UberdouchmanN are “P*ckers?”

Branch Rickey on April 4, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Blow? Heh, I remember him from the last time his sophomoricisms appeared at HA.

No wonder the NYT is going bankrupt.

petefrt on April 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Funny how a guy named “Blow” scoffs at a “Hummer”.

But has no problem with the fleet of tanks, Obama is chauffered around in?

Nah. This is Mr. Bush’s fault!

capejasmine on April 4, 2009 at 4:47 PM

“Wagoner should be flogged in the streets for the Hummer alone”

I love my Hummer, you mamada.

Go find another quota job.

TexasJew on April 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Between Jason Blair, Bob Herbert and now this pandejo putz, it seems that in order for a black writer to work at the New York Times, he has to be severely mentally retarded.
Hey! Two minority slots at once! Such a deal!

TexasJew on April 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM

athensboy on April 4, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I read commenters remarking about stocking up on guns and ammo before Obama and Holder begin trying to turn the tide on the Second Amendment. Period. The next time you observe any objectionable “hinting about other things,” highlight it.

In the meantime, get to your nearest grocery store for some aluminum foil. Your current cap is wearing thin.

You’re a joke.

BuckeyeSam on April 4, 2009 at 5:52 PM

The same affirmative action mentality which resulted in the election of Barack Hussein Obama, is the one that resulted in the election of Mr. Blow as a columnist to the NYSLIMES.

eaglewingz08 on April 4, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Do you think maybe this columnist got his job because he’s… black?

joe_doufu on April 4, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Gotta have at lest one…

RealDemocrat on April 4, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Looks like the officials want UConn to win the NCAA because they are the “black” team. #4 gets to throw punches and throw smaller Spartan players to the ground with immunity!

RealDemocrat on April 4, 2009 at 7:05 PM

UConn’s guys wold make great NYT reporters…

RealDemocrat on April 4, 2009 at 7:25 PM

TexasJew on April 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Jealousy consumes me! :)

OldEnglish on April 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM

You’re a joke.

BuckeyeSam on April 4, 2009 at 5:52 PM

+1 !

Poor Troll; logic is for conservatives!

Branch Rickey on April 4, 2009 at 7:47 PM

TexasJew on April 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Jealousy consumes me! :)

OldEnglish on April 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM

LOL!

Branch Rickey on April 4, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Maybe old bald charlie there should be a little afraid of the apocalyptos eh? As should everyone that’s standing on the wrong side of the line.

Spiritk9 on April 5, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Blow makes Herbert look intelligent.

rcl on April 5, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Jewel, this guy sucks like an Oreck…..

SDN on April 5, 2009 at 8:48 AM

He’s a Brave New Worlder. Everything outside NY is very savage badlands and scary. We give live birth to our own babies, grown real food and everything. NY has gotten ridiculous. DC, ditto. Everyone in America should pull a collective Whoville “BOO” to these idiots.

BrideOfRove on April 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Mock him. Mock him till he cries like a little girl.

BrideOfRove on April 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Rick Moron is still an ass.

Al in St. Lou on April 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM

And I thought it was bad when Sen. Grassley said the AIG executives should either resign or commit suicide?

This is actually worse, not in the least because the SOB hasn’t apologized.

Ryan Gandy on April 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Lemme get this straight. His name is blow?

Perfect name for a leftist.

john1schn on April 5, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Paranoid, sounds like Blow is doing too much blow.

cjk on April 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Funny how a guy named “Blow” scoffs at a “Hummer”.

PappaMac on April 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

faeroe on April 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM