Video: No, Obama wasn’t cleaning the floor when greeting Abdullah

posted at 12:08 pm on April 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

While I don’t post a lot on Twitter myself, I do learn a few things by monitoring my feed. For those wondering why the media hasn’t reported at all on Barack Obama’s protocol-smashing deep-waisted bow to King Abdullah — besides the usual Cover Obama’s Behind impulse — a few people are suggesting that media outlets are taking the position that Obama was really picking something off the ground instead of bowing.

Where did they get idea? Certainly not from the video. I’ve highlighted the portion, and repeat it a couple of times to be clear:

Very clearly, throughout the bow, Obama’s right hand stays engaged with Abdullah’s. His left hand remains visibly at his side, and doesn’t once reach for the ground.

So where would they get the idea that President Obama assigned himself the task of cleaning the floor? I’d assume that Obama’s press office pushed that meme out hard yesterday when the video first came out, and they didn’t bother to check it. Considering Anderson Cooper’s long missive about the Obama’s brief head nod to Queen Elizabeth, the silence on this greeting seems astonishing.

National media — when will you report this? 2013?

But did it buy Obama any respect from Abdullah and the Saudis? Apparently not. Arab News, the recognized media mouthpiece for the Saudi royal family, dismisses Obama in an editorial today as false change:

The so-called new plan is nothing but Bush’s old wine in Obama’s new bottle. So much for the “Change We Can”! Looks like the pundits who mocked our boundless adulation for Obama and celebration of “change in Washington” were right after all. They were right when they insisted that whoever is in charge in Washington, the US foreign policy seldom changes. This is unfortunate considering the great expectations and hopes the new president’s talk of exploring a “new way forward” had spawned across the Muslim world.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Alah Ackbar… the plan continues… and you’re sure I get to trade Michelle in on 72 virgins… right?… RIGHT????

Romeo13 on April 3, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Another good entry into “What did Obama whisper”…

right2bright on April 3, 2009 at 2:15 PM

uncivilized on April 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM

And I’m sure the muscle involved would still be the orbicularis oris.

Badger40 on April 3, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Comedy gold, from the…can’t believe it, Guradian.

Entelechy on April 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM

right2bright on April 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing since yesterday.

Far too many have given their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor to defend these United States of America, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence.

That bow of submission was a betrayal to our founders, our war dead, every patriot, and every member of the armed forces serving today. Let’s all do what we can to make sure it is not also a betrayal to the generations yet to come.

Loxodonta on April 3, 2009 at 2:32 PM

WHAT THE HELL??!!

A US president completely bowing to the leader of an Islamic state??!! A sure sign that the show’s over folks. Most of us with a grain of knowledge think the Abdullah types are our enemies for the most part.

Perhaps Obama is trying too hard to show he is the opposite of Bush in the “making the world like us” department, but I have NEVER seen anything like this from a US president!

Goodeye_Closed on April 3, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Entelechy on April 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM

LOL…. that was great!

Romeo13 on April 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM

This guy is so opposite of everything we should stand for. Barry is so GD irritating.

marklmail on April 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Something about the angle and speed with which he bends makes it seem to me like there was some physical purpose to the bow; this is probably why the idea of him picking something up was an easy sell. And to be fair, it’s also possible he was about to pick something up and then checked himself or maybe realized he hadn’t dropped what he thought he had. Probably not, though.

I would guess that the physical purpose was to kiss Abdullah’s hand. That’s what it looks like to me.

remywokeup on April 3, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Loxodonta on April 3, 2009 at 2:32 PM

+1776

INC on April 3, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Obama plans to crawl toward the Saudi scumbag next trip.

Loathesome duo.

profitsbeard on April 3, 2009 at 2:52 PM

remywokeup on April 3, 2009 at 2:51 PM

There is no way he was about to pick something up. I’ve rewatched that video too many times.

I think the angle and speed was to get the bow done before it could be captured on film. I’m glad some of the press got this.

INC on April 3, 2009 at 2:54 PM

“Theres a new game
We like to play you see
A game with added reality
You treat me like a dog
Get me down on my knees

We call it master and servant”

jcrue on April 3, 2009 at 1:49 PM

From the same guys that gave us “I’m taking a ride with my best friend”.

Count to 10 on April 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM

“I guess the next time, the Saudis expect a lower bow, and perhaps a kiss on the feet.”

You got that right………..

……….. along with generations to follow.

This picture has spread like a wild fire throughout the middle east……….

………. and Liberals blamed President Bush for recruiting terrorist.

Seven Percent Solution on April 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM

The media stayed really quiet about that, too.
::eyeroll::

MayBee on April 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM

But the White House didn’t. The press wouldn’t have known about either if the White House hadn’t described the private visit by Abdullah to Bush’s ranch to them. Bush also kissed Abdullah, but he did not bow. This was Abdullah’s visit to the US right after his father’s death, and was done as they talked about Fahd.

Here was a very public bow performed by President Obama while acting in his official capacity as the leader of the United States of America. The President of the United States is a peer to every king in the world, and should not bow, for a bow is obeisance.

A bow to a minor potentate is demeaning to us, whom Mr. Obama represented right up until the moment of the bow.

It will be amusing to see what Obama does should he ever meet the Pope. I’m Catholic and I can hardly wait.

unclesmrgol on April 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM

The feet that crush every semblance of human rights in that cesspool of a “kingdom”.

jgapinoy on April 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Count to 10 on April 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM

People are people, so why should it be
you and I should get along so awfully?

Everything counts in large amounts.

Proud Rino on April 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM

“Islam is a religion that brings hope and comfort to more than a billion people around the world. It has transcended racial and ethnic divisions.”

- George W. Bush

aengus on April 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Meanwhile

But when it came to the dashing US President, Mrs. Sarkozy kept a noticeable distance.

“Dashing” on Donner and Blitzen, dash away(3), dash-a-way-all!

Did Carla Bruni’s cold shoulder handshake leave Obama flat on the Rohan Palace floor?

maverick muse on April 3, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Apparently The Mememedia doesn’t know what bowing and scraping looks like.
Since Barry is constantly trying to get some fatherly support anywhere he can, Abdullah must be the kind of daddy that he really, really likes; it’s obvious that he is willing to make a fool of himself in order to gain favor with this oily ‘royal’ Saudi. (Say that 3 times fast.) Under his breath he was saying: ‘We really need your oil’…and later after dinner: ‘Please tell OPEC we want them to raise the price of crude oil, the American People need to be forced into ‘alternative energy’, and any other ‘green’ program that will bankrupt them. Yes, soon I too will be King.’ (and we can do the 3 Stooges act where we both bow to each other and knock heads.) N’yuck, n’yuck it’s NOT!

Christine on April 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Yeah, his brain fell out of his nose.

4shoes on April 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM

- George W. Bush

aengus on April 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Your point?

unclesmrgol on April 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM

He was trying to pick something off the floor, his dignity.

Wade on April 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM

“Yes Master Abullah, everything is going according to plan. I was able to infiltrate the useful idiots on the Left, garnered their trust and used the race card to get myself elected to their highest office.

Now I’ve taken control of their wretched infidel country and have begun hiring muslims to powerful positions for the great goal of establishing Allah’s rule, not just in America but over all the earth, inshallah.” -B. Hussein O.

thinkagain on April 3, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Yeah, he was picking up something he dropped. His dignity.

Jim Treacher on April 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Mark Steyn at NRO:

As George V, rex et imperator 1910-36, said, “Only waiters bow at the waist.”

INC on April 3, 2009 at 5:37 PM

To summarize: Dear Leader made some diplomatic gaffes. Of that there is no doubt.

To “rationalize” O’bama’s utter cluenessness, our Leftists friends come back with this brilliant response:

“Bush did the same thing, so it’s OK”.

One slight problem-the mainstream media played up Bush’s gaffes, and covered up those made by Dear Leader.

Joe Stalin would be proud of them. They’re useful appartchiks.

Del Dolemonte on April 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM

What’s wrong with him bowing? Its customary to do so in Saudi culture when greeting royalty. This is all faux outrage — hoping some smear against Obama will stick. It’s hard for Reps to understand actually showing respect and cultural awareness after 8 yrs of a retarded cowboy leading the way. If he had not bowed, I guarantee HA would have had a post about *OUTRAGE* Obama showing disrespect to the King. It’s laughable how much Obama scares people. Shows that he’s doing something very right.

dcwvu on April 3, 2009 at 12:32 PM

DCWU – what planet are you talking from? Oh, that’s right, you’re talking from Uranus. Zippy, keep in mind that Dumbocrat lefty trolls like you are allowed to voice your ill-informed opinions on here only under sufferance.

In contrast, the instant a conservative person posts on a MSM site they get jumped or dumped. You guys preach free speech but in reality it’s only for yourselves, you hypocrite.

CatchAll on April 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Latest O’bama miscue? He’s blowing off the Czech leaders’ dinner invitation after he arrives there tomorrow night.

The adults kids are in charge now.

Del Dolemonte on April 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM

He wasn’t picking something up. He was dropping something on the floor. America’s self respect and sovereignty.

darwin-t on April 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Your point?

unclesmrgol on April 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM

My point is that even if President Bush didn’t literally bow to the Saudis he may as well have. It’s a bipartisan policy.

aengus on April 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM

aengus on April 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I disagree.

unclesmrgol on April 3, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Gee Ed, its not like your obcessed with Obama or anything. Jeeze

athensboy on April 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Don’t blame Ed!

Blame Bush!

Didn’t you get the memo?

Loxodonta on April 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM

They think he’s cleaning the floor? RACIIIIIIIIIIIST

- The Cat

MirCat on April 3, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I guess we should be thankful that it didn’t end with Obama backing his way out of the room lest he show his back to the kleptocrat in charge.

moxie_neanderthal on April 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Gee Ed, its not like your obcessed with Obama or anything. Jeeze

athensboy on April 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM

1.Learn to spell
2.You are the one with your official Obama knee pads.

–now grab a tissue.

Jamson64 on April 3, 2009 at 7:53 PM

He wasn’t bowing. He was trying to slurp oil out of Abdullah’s abdullah.

Western_Civ on April 3, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Did he bow to Queen Elizabeth when he met her? In the video I saw – he didn’t.

If he’s going to bow to monarchy and show that we’re subservient to another nation – he should have at least bowed to the old battle ax of the British Empire.

Ahhhh yes … and I remember when Jimmah Carter came into office and promised that “Human Rights” would be at the top of his agenda – and we wouldn’t support dictators anymore and …

Our old friend the Shah was immediately booted out of power in Iran. And American lost it’s most important ally in the region after Israel (yes! Iran used to be an ally!). And thanks to Jimmah we’ve had to deal with a generation of instability and islamofascism.

I’ve seen this movie.

HondaV65 on April 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM

If obama get’s re-elected I’m gonna renounce my citizenship. My only hope is that his administration will ensure 20 years of conservative rule. Unfortunately, I think his tenure will ensure the death of our country.

whiskeytango on April 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM

It reminds me of being a child and all dressed up at a fancy restaurant but too quickly using the desert fork to eat the entre.

moxie_neanderthal on April 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM

You all are crazy. POTUS was merely practicing the “bending over and grabbing the ankles” move that we’ll see repeatedly over the next four years.

Pilgrimsarbour on April 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Lick spittle.

Whimper.

Cringe.

Grovel.

Crawl.

Repeat until Islam is supreme.

profitsbeard on April 3, 2009 at 10:15 PM

“My Muslim faith” BHO. Manchurian candidate extraordinaire.

canditaylor68 on April 3, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Yeah. Destroying the World Trade Center didn’t crash our economy, so now they’re taking a more direct approach. Triple the deficit and destroy the economy with socialism.

Daggett on April 3, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Appeasement = lips around both ass-cheeks.

RealDemocrat on April 4, 2009 at 1:21 AM

and perhaps a kiss on the feet.

Higher

Pelayo on April 4, 2009 at 8:30 AM

It is hard to say, from one position it is a bow in another it is a curtsy curtsy. Whatever you call it the body language says what can I (we) do for you today, Master.

He has broken our banks, ability to defend U.S., and apologizes to everyone he meets for U.S. causing them problems. If he wants U.S. to feel his pain as a community organizer (whatever that is), he’s done a great job. Because I have never felt so screwed in all of my life.

MSGTAS on April 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM

There’s no way ogabe’s gonna do anything with that golden left bowling hand, even if it IS a Muslim dignitary.

May I suggest he invite the Saudi king and the English queen to a winner-take-all bowl-a-thon?

Lowest score gets Michelle!

Winner gets a bust of Winston Churchill, or something.

Sweet_Thang on April 4, 2009 at 1:29 PM

First of all, I want to say what an Embarrassment this Idiot of a President is.

Next, I want to ask. When SOBama bows to the king, what is it on his right back hip? Does he ware some sort of device to enable someone from outside the photo to tell him what to say?

There is something on his hip. Check it out.

Delsa on April 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM

DU is convinced he’s looking for a contact lens or something…or it doesn’t matter that he did it. Take your pick. They are also posting photoshopped images of President Bush and the Saudi king.

The one or two people who don’t like what Obama did are getting swarmed.

capitalist piglet on April 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM

There is something on his hip. Check it out.

Delsa on April 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I’d say it extends across his entire backside. I doubt it’s just a transmitter — those can be made pretty small — to the point that they fit in a shirt pocket.

I’m guessing part of it is armor. But what’s being armored is the big question.

unclesmrgol on April 4, 2009 at 3:13 PM

That’s the transmitter from his teleprompter. It’s telling him what to do. Again.

Pilgrimsarbour on April 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Er, I mean receiver. ;-)

Pilgrimsarbour on April 4, 2009 at 11:07 PM

What the hell? Love all the Obama t-shirt ads on the site. /not

Midas on April 5, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Obama was gazing at his navel. He does that a lot.

el gordo on April 5, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Bad move, Barry. Disgraceful, and an insult to the American people.

Christien on April 5, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Well, “janitor” comes from the two-faced god Janus.

chunderroad on April 5, 2009 at 3:29 PM

so now we know he is a muslim, no doubts at all. lets hpe he is a closet gay and the muslims will do what they do

rone5847 on April 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM

He Who controls the Spicket of the Oil, that runs the energy of the world…yada yada yada…George Bush knew better then to bow to him in PUBLIC. Obama is a Green politician, I mean he may well be a veteran community organizer but leaving the south side of Chicago in a mess is hardly training for the position he finds himself now in the above video.

Dr Evil on April 6, 2009 at 10:53 AM

He is just showing his gratitude for all the campaign financing they did through the internet that couldn’t be traced. He is on their payroll and will be paying back the terrorists and the saudi government for 4 years.

workingforpigs on April 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I much preferred the image of Bush holding hands with the Prince. You could tell they really cared for one another.

Constantine on April 6, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I haven’t read either of Obama’s books so could someone tell me if he formally renounced Islam before becoming a Christian or did he just show up one day at a Christian church and from that time on people just assumed he was a Christian?

technopeasant on April 7, 2009 at 4:17 AM