Video: Dodd’s competition getting a head start

posted at 4:55 pm on April 2, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

He’s no Kudlow, but Rob Simmons has a lot more experience than the Wall Street analyst. He served in the House, as well as the military and the CIA before then. He’s also got a 16-point lead over Chris Dodd, and Simmons wants to make sure that it grows. Here’s his introductory video to the voters of Connecticut, reminding them of who Rob Simmons is — and who Chris Dodd is, as well:

Not bad. I should point out that Simmons says he worked for John Chafee, not his son Lincoln, who lost his Senate seat in 2006 just before repudiating the Republican Party altogether.  Simmons also worked for conservative legend Barry Goldwater, which will sound terrific to conservatives nationwide — but will it scare Connecticut voters?

On our earlier thread, one commenter noted that the worst thing that could happen to Republicans would be to have Dodd retire instead of run for re-election.  Ned Lamont might wind up taking Dodd’s place, and you can bet the netroots would love to see that happen.  After a couple more years of Dodd fronting for Democrats in the Senate on financial policy, though, even Lamont and the netroots won’t be able to save this seat.

Comments

Peter Schiff is still my favorite for that seat.

chunderroad on April 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I currently work in CT – don’t overestimate the acumen of these Nutmeggers.

pain train on April 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Godspeed, Mr. Simmons.

jimmy2shoes on April 2, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Anyone but Dodd would be my favorite, but since I have stopped giving money to the RNC, maybe I should start giving money to some of these candidates.

bopbottle on April 2, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I liked it!!!

ColtsFan on April 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM

The picture on this thread says “what would you do for a klondike bar” to me.

lorien1973 on April 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Sound terrific to Conservatives??? How does…

Voting against the ban on partial birth abortion while in the House. Planned Parenthood endorsed him!!!

An environmentalist who is for cap and trade.

A supporter the Unions including the great NEA! Doesn’t know how he feels about Card Check.

While in Congress getting a 53% grade from the taxpayers union because he voted for tax increases.

How does all that sound to Consevatives???

If you like Snowe, Specter, and the like, you’ll love Simmons!!!

jmell7 on April 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM

The picture on this thread says “what would you do for a klondike bar” to me.

lorien1973 on April 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Thanks for the much needed laugh.

sondiehl on April 2, 2009 at 5:20 PM

jmell7 on April 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Take what you can get; I suppose.

lorien1973 on April 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Dodd Man Walking — unless Dodd gets ACORN to fraudulently win this election, he’s history. He should be in jail!

Christian Conservative on April 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM

How is Peter Schiff? I haven’t heard much about him. I would like the opinion of the people of Connecticut.

jmell7 on April 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Not looking good.

jencab on April 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM

As someone who worked for Rob when he was in Congress, I can say without reservation that he is one of the finest men I know. A man of conscience, integrity and energy who truly understands the responsibility of public service. CT would do well to have him as its senator. I and my family and friends will be working hard to see that that happens.

Simmons for Senate!

jnelchef on April 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM

According to this article Schiff is the best choice.

I myself like Caligiuri as a young up and coming conservative. However, I don’t know if he can beat Dodd and yes I think Simmons can. So quite the dilema if you just want rid of Dodd.

My main point was Conservatives are not going to like Simmons.

jmell7 on April 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Sic’em!

CynicalOptimist on April 2, 2009 at 5:44 PM

jnelchef,

I do not question his integrity at all. In fact Simmons calls himself a RINO…which is very honest. Let’s just all be clear who we are voting for and that conservatives will have problems with him.

jmell7 on April 2, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I live in CT.. I’m surrounded by people who don’t follow politics, have no clue what candidates stand for, and vote the party line like trained monkeys. It’s frustrating as hell..Remember this is the state that considers Jodi Rell a republican… I just heard on the radio that Obama has a 71% approval rating in CT, 71% from citizens who pay one of the highest tax rates in the nation…. I’ll support Rob Simmons, but I’m afraid in a state that throws a liberal republican like Chris Shays out of office, he doesn’t stand a chance. I wish it were two months before the election, not almost two years…. People will forget Dodd’s little sins, vote for the name they recognize, or the party line.

ivorygirl on April 2, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Do we really need Connecticut, Rhode Island or Delaware? I mean, really? Merge CT and RI together and let PA absorb DE.

SouthernGent on April 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM

jnelchef,

jmell7 on April 2, 2009 at 5:46 PM

No problem, there are many considerations in choosing who someone decides to support. The piece by D Dowd Muska is a bit selective in it’s take on things but he is certainly free to have his opinion. I would ask that people use many sources of information to acquire a stance on a person or issue. Is Rob a red meat conservative like myself and many here? No, but there’s far more to agree with than disagree with and we can hold to our principles without applying litmus tests that preclude our running good people for the job. The next year and a half will give the people of CT time to learn and decide who will run on the Republican line and who will be our next senator.

jnelchef on April 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Christian Conservative on April 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I can see Dodd campaigning with the ACORNers, complete with oversized baggy pants, plenty of bling, a grill, and a doo rag. He’ll have to work on those rap lyrics. I’m sure Nutmeggers will love the transformation.

BuckeyeSam on April 2, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Please, bag the Lamont garbage. That tool got beat like a drum amongst indy voters AND a good chunk of his own party last time around.

When 0bama-nomics are really cooking by next year, and 2nd districts in the gutter after EB starts to feel the crunch of that defense spending cut, and the Pratt guys start losing their jobs for much the same reason, and the financial services guys are looking at downsizing, do you know who the people of this state WON’T be voting for?

The jackass who’s to the LEFT of the jackasses (0bama and the Dem congress) who put them (the voters) in the Misery Index in the first place!

Calling it here: Districts 2,4 and 5 and Dodd’s senate seat are gonna flip next year.

If I’m wrong, I’ll be the first guy on the first train out of this hell hole. (CT, not Hot Air.)

SuperCool on April 2, 2009 at 6:48 PM

“here’s 50 cents…have a rat chew that thing off your face”

<shudder

Black Adam on April 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM

kidding!

Black Adam on April 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Hahaha! Another sad, old man running as a Republican. John McCain Part Deux!!

capitulus on April 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM

capitulus on April 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM

And Chris Dodd is?

lorien1973 on April 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I live here in CT and can vouch for Simmons, a VERY good man.

gdonovan on April 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM

And Chris Dodd is?

lorien1973 on April 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

So crooked he needs a corkscrew to put his pants on.

So shady, if you stand behind him the temperature around you drops by 20 degrees.

So oily he sweats greese.

SuperCool on April 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM

It was a true pleasure to vote that clown out. I loved those commericals with him and GW and his line about the fundamentals of the economy being strong.

capitulus on April 2, 2009 at 8:18 PM

$75,000 sweetheart mortgage for Dodd?

Didn’t he mean $750,000 ?

silverfox on April 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM

You all know that Goldwater was a conspiracy kook right?

True_King on April 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM

$75,000 sweetheart mortgage for Dodd?

Didn’t he mean $750,000 ?

silverfox on April 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM

No, the estimated savings to Dodd were about $75K over a “real” mortgage the rest of us would have received.

jnelchef on April 2, 2009 at 10:01 PM

My vote goes to NEITHER Washington Insider. My vote is for Peter Schiff.

BobAnthony on April 2, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Republicans need to run on the principle of “checks and balances”. I think the majority of Americans, and maybe even democrats, at least want some kind of check on Pelosi and Reid. It is funny because “checks and balances” is what Pelosi and the dems ran on to become the majority in the first place.

Dollayo on April 3, 2009 at 3:40 AM

He flubbed the outrage over bonuses part.

People who have contracted to take their pay as a bonus at the end of a stated period with a regular salary of $1 seem to be to have earned the bonus by sticking around.

How else do you get the executives you need to stick around when they are dismantling portions of the company? Isn’t it wiser for them to go look for another job quickly when they know their current job is sharply limited? The bonus strategy counters this. They receive the bonus for sticking around the whole time.

If that becomes subject to special taxation the results will not be pretty.

Aside from that he sounds like very solid material to me.

{^_^}

herself on April 3, 2009 at 5:48 AM

ivorygirl on April 2, 2009 at 5:53 PM:

…which is why my annual visits home to see my mother are so maddening. It’s like being beamed down into enemy territory.

Remember this is the state that considers Jodi Rell a republican…

…the only Republican my deep-blue, “View”-watching mother can bring herself to vote for, mostly because Rell’s 1) a woman and 2) mom has run into her to say hi to at the local Stop & Shop.

I just heard on the radio that Obama has a 71% approval rating in CT, 71% from citizens who pay one of the highest tax rates in the nation.

Aaargh! (See my first response) They’ll learn soon enough, I hope.

Sadly, I think you’re correct. Hang in there!

Captain Scarlet on April 3, 2009 at 6:34 AM

A liberal Republican is better than a leftist criminal Dem, I suppose.

Hey Connecticut, at least you have a chance at electing a Republican statewide. Here in NY it will never happen. If you think your pols are lefties, just look to your west. We got you beat.

Pope Linus on April 3, 2009 at 8:13 AM

So, are we justifying support for a RINO because he’s marginally better than Dodd. Yes, I know…big tent and all. Isn’t that how we got McCain?
By all means, let’s go for power over principles. We can pull those principles out of the closet when necessary and wave them around like they were always a part of us.

SKYFOX on April 3, 2009 at 9:22 AM