First Lady flub: no touching the Queen

posted at 8:47 am on April 2, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

This seems to be getting a lot of traction in the headlines, so let’s talk about Michelle Obama’s supposedly grand faux pas in meeting Queen Elizabeth II in London.  Time Magazine reported that the British (which include the “English”) sputtered with indignation when the First Lady touched Elizabeth’s back.  The reaction seems a little exaggerated, considering the circumstances, but it still broke protocol:

The rules are set in stone, and so the eagerly watching British media sputtered when the First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, briefly put her hand on the back of Queen Elizabeth II as the two chatted at a reception. …

Of course, there are corollaries to this. One must certainly touch the Queen if the monarch offers her hand (though you should return this not with a firm handshake but just a touch). On Wednesday, Michelle Obama put her hand on the Queen only after the Queen had placed her own hand on the First Lady’s back as part of their conversation. So there is room for theological argument as to whether the American reciprocity of touch was allowable given the social dynamics of the situation. …

In any case, the touch lasted just a second or two, and the Queen did not seem particularly perturbed — though she appeared slightly surprised as she drew away.

I’m not much a fan of royalty and the pomp that accompanies the monarchy, so I tend to see this as a much lesser offense than getting the name of the country wrong.  The gesture from the Queen would normally prompt a human response of reciprocation.  Time’s explanation of the miraculous healing powers of the Queen’s touch is interesting from a historical perspective, but since Americans don’t tend to believe such things about monarchs (we made that clear in 1776, although the Princess Di infatuation may have confused some people), Mrs. Obama’s treatment of Elizabeth II as a mere mortal is somewhat understandable.

Of course, diplomatic protocol exists for a reason, and it’s clear Mrs. Obama didn’t adhere to it, if she ever got instruction on it in the first place.  As it turns out, she might not have had it, since her husband hasn’t gotten around to staffing the White House protocol office.  Apparently, no one told Barack Obama that the State Department had staff to fill the gap, either:

Only a few weeks on the job, Obama created a minor diplo-mess when British Prime Minister Gordon Brown came to the U.S. for a visit. Obama’s historic Oval Office desk, a gift from Queen Victoria to Rutherford Hayes, is made from the timbers of the HMS Resolute. Brown proudly presented Obama with a pencil holder carved from its antislavery sister ship, the HMS Gannet. Classy! Obama lamely reciprocated with a DVD set of Hollywood movies, including “Psycho.” When Brown got back home, he discovered they didn’t work in his European player. “At a minimum you don’t want to give offense,” says a former White House official who helped orchestrate foreign visits for a previous president. “That was really phoning it in.” (The official, like others quoted here, asked not to be named disparaging a sitting president.) Apparently it was a rookie mistake. According to a person close to the situation, Obama hasn’t yet appointed a chief of protocol and his staffers, still unpacking, didn’t realize that the State Department has an entire office dedicated to foreign visits.

Hiring a chief of protocol isn’t as high a priority as staffing, say, the Treasury, but the position is quite obviously critical to not looking like Ugly Americans when traveling the globe as head of state.  I don’t think anyone has called this the Greatest Transition Ever in a while now.  I think the bloom has left that rose, and this is just another example of the problem.  Obama really had no clue as to the scope of this job.

So yes, Mrs. Obama committed a a small breach of protocol, but it’s not on the same level as the Angela Merkel back rub or replacing “Great Britain” with England.

Note: Comments copied from Headlines post.

Update: The offending gesture, from the Daily Mail:

Eh.  I just can’t get terribly worked up about this, since the Queen has her arm wrapped around Mrs. Obama.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Class is something that is bred and cultivated in a person. She just doesn’t know any better.

carbon_footprint on April 1, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I guess Axelrod told his minions to get in front of this story.

INC on April 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Shortly after the Royal wrist watch disappeared.

repvoter on April 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I half-expected to find a story about Michelle getting busted with Barney Frank.

carbon_footprint on April 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Yo Queen! Terrorist fist bump woo woo!

Kinda silly if you ask me.

Dash on April 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Of course, there are corollaries to this

……

Um, or if you’re married to The One.

artist on April 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

She was comparing arms…

Firebird on April 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Oh the horror!

SoulGlo on April 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Well Michelle was only giving her royal blessings to the Queen Mother. They are equals in her mind.

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Since the queen initiated contact I’d say it’s no big deal. There’s still plenty of good jokes to go around, though, as demonstrated by repvoter.

BadgerHawk on April 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM

So there is room for theological argument as to whether the American reciprocity of touch is allowable given the social dynamics of the situation.

This is very true. When I was bartending, I used to bump one of the waitresses in the butt with my knee whenever she poached into my domain; in return, she would slap me across the face. Reciprocity is the heart of any social dynamic.

austinnelly on April 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM

So is this proof that Michelle Obama is a “kling on” ?

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Photograph

Really, which one of these two is closer to Camelot?

Tzetzes on April 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM

BadgerHawk on April 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I would say that although the Queen may briefly touch someone, that’s not an invitation.

INC on April 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM

This looks like a pre-emptive false-controversy from Time…to make all the reporting about Messiah’s real foreign policy gaffes and protocol foul-ups look trivial…

AUINSC on April 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I’m waiting for someone in the press to gush: ‘With arms like hers, I’d say Michelle can touch whoever she wants.’

austinnelly on April 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Paging Emily Post … paging Miss Emily Post …

I thought I read somewhere where the King of America was very excited to meet the Queen of England, and the American Royal Family attended private etiquette classes in honor of the Royal convergence.

Rae on April 1, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Showtunes

“I’ve Grown Accustomed to Her Face,” Rex Harrison, “My Fair Lady”

My favorite is “Why Can’t a Woman Be More Like a Man?” But then I look at Michelle and think… actually, I like them they way they were.

Tzetzes on April 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Michelle Obama, briefly put her hand on the back of the Queen Elizabeth II

The First Lady was curious about what a spine feels like, having never felt one before. So, when the opportunity arose, she went for it.

I can’t blame her one bit.

Loxodonta on April 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM

repvoter on April 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM

LMAO!

artist on April 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Who knows, maybe some of HMQ’s experience, charm, intelligence and knowledge will rub off on them. Stranger things have happened.

KillerKane on April 1, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Just bhe glad that Obama didnt add “I kissed a Girl” to the Queen’s Ipod. That would cause a real scandal.

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM

They left with Mr Obama snaking an arm round his host’s shoulder and ushering him from the room. Very much an ‘I’m in charge’ gesture.

Another delightful bit from the Times of London. It’s Brown’s residence, and Obama is leading him out the door after a joint appearance. Usually the host shows the guest the door…

Wethal on April 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I’d be surprised if a 7ft Klingon groped me as well. I’d be afraid it was going to eat me.

p0s3r on April 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Etiquette is quite stern about this (“Whatever you do, don’t touch the Queen!”).

I hear that’s standard etiquette now when you’re a guest on Hardball too. The janitors at MSNBC have been complaining about the constant mopping of the floor under Chrissy’s desk.

fogw on April 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Oh, come on.

mikeyboss on April 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I do not like Michelle Obama but she did nothing bad here.

First of all, expecting people outside of your country to adhere to your local customs, like not touching the Queen, has some similarity with Muslim leaders requiring that no female US soldiers be in their presence. But I agree that touching a Queen is different than just seeing female US soldiers.

But even if we stipulate that one does not touch the Queen, Michelle obviously made an honest mistake.

A low key statement of apology after they return to the US should be fine.

Thresher on April 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM

LOL … These are the people who LECTURE us on culture?

Laughable.

A Redneck has more cultural awareness than these two winners.

HondaV65 on April 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Ok, I’ll say it: what would the MSM reaction be if Sarah Palin had done it? Uncouth Alaskan snowbilly?

Wethal on April 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I wonder if Michelle will wear A burkha in turkey ?

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I do not get this whole Queen thing. That should have been done a couple hundred years ago at best.

Jamson64 on April 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

You know, I really don’t care.

The Queen of England is just a human being, like anybody else. To say that you’re not allowed to touch her is ridiculous. A major point of the American Revolution was that no man should be subservient to a king.

You show the woman respect as a head of state, but they are *shudder* equals. One equal does not bow to another who stands. (Which is why I don’t have a problem with presidents bowing to leaders of Asian countries. If both people bow to one another, it is a sign of respect; if one person bows and one stands, the bower is declaring himself below the bowee.)

Jeff_McAwesome on April 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I wonder if Michelle will wear A burkha in turkey ?

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

She’ll do the Pelosi scarf thing to show “respect for culture.”

Wethal on April 1, 2009 at 9:15 PM

They mentioned Bush’s winking at the Queen. God, I miss that man.

jimmy the notable on April 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I wonder if Michelle will wear A burkha in turkey ?

…..

Why not, she wore one at her wedding.

artist on April 1, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Love the posts on here…..laughing my ass off.

dangitt on April 1, 2009 at 9:20 PM

These people are so embarrassing. Is there a way we can all sign a card of apology to the Queen for the embarrassing behavior of our bumbler-in-chief and his Mrs?

crosspatch on April 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Eh, no biggie. I actually kind of like it when Americans make slight gaffes like this with British royalty. I like the queen, but we’re not her subjects. But just imagine if Laura Bush had done this.

It’s actually pretty bad what Obama did with Brown, though, both here and in Brown’s own home. He’s treated him like used kleenex.

juliesa on April 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM

someone should make a book of these posts…..fucking funny

dangitt on April 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM

O_o

Surely they had better photos to choose from.

Asher on April 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM

OT:

Am I supposed to be redirected to hotair.com/headlines when I click on the Home link up top? That seems to have changed.

Asher on April 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM

O_o

Surely they had better photos to choose from.

Asher on April 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM

LOL @ Michelle’s wonky eye.

Rae on April 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Planning the engagement between two world leaders would be very difficult if the players don

Thresher on April 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM

I do not like Michelle Obama but she did nothing bad here.

A low key statement of apology after they return to the US should be fine.

Thresher on April 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM

I disagree. Expecting someone to disinvite certain members of their honor guard because it offends their sensibilities, is different than heeding a custom of not touching someone because it’s considered culturally inappropriate by the hosts, especially if that person is the Queen of England.

And I wouldn’t call it a minor thing-it bespeaks a certain intellectual laziness. Obviously Ms. Michelle didn’t bother to study up on etiquette and protocol-a person in her position should be expected to do a lot better.

Gee, cheesy DVD Sets and IPODs as gifts, culturally inappropriate touching-I thought this was the type of behavior we were going to get if we elected the Wasilla Hillbilly and her clan, not the pretentious middlebrow left-wing phonies “urbane sophisticates” we did elect.

Taking bets as to whether Angela Merkel gets a set of ShamWows as a gift, because “you know, you Germans always make good stuff”.

Dreadnought on April 1, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I wonder if Michelle will wear A burkha in turkey ?

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I don’t think that’s the proper dressing for Turkey.

Why not a side of mashed potatoes and gravy?

Loxodonta on April 1, 2009 at 9:33 PM

The Queen should have gone all Charlton Heston on her ass.

Crusty on April 1, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Asher on April 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Many mysterious things have been happening at Hot Air today, either due to April Fool’s Day, site maintenance, or some vast conspiracy.

Loxodonta on April 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM

My favorite is

sven10077 on April 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM

So there is room for theological argument as to whether the American reciprocity of touch was allowable given the social dynamics of the situation. (Less explicable was when President George W. Bush winked at the Queen.)

The obligatory dig at President Bush, or else it’s not a real live news story!

Grafted on April 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM

The Queen should be grateful. She was touched by one who has been touched by The One.

malclave on April 1, 2009 at 9:39 PM

This proves two things. The Obamas still haven’t been versed in protocols and the Brits need to lighten the hell up.

CP on April 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I wonder if Michelle will wear A burkha in turkey ?

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Depends.

Will she carry a bat’leth on the next summit to Qo’noS?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

The Queen of England is just a human being, like anybody else.

Not according to Johnny Rotten.

Tzetzes on April 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

LOL @ Michelle

Asher on April 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I didn’t see a picture, did it look like this?

Johnson on April 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM

The Queen should have gone all Charlton Heston on her ass.

Crusty on April 1, 2009 at 9:33 PM

“Keep your stinking paws off of me you damn dirty…..”

Dude. That’s raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM

OT:

Asher on April 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I always click the Hot Air logo at the top of the page and that will send you to ‘home’.

carbon_footprint on April 1, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Was it this one after Obama made a sexist remark?

Johnson on April 1, 2009 at 9:52 PM

God Save the Prince !

It had to happen. When President Obama and wife Michelle met the Queen at Buckingham Palace, a Prince Philip gaffe was inevitable. In the small talk when they first met, the Queen and the Prince were sympathising with the President and his wife about their gruelling schedule since arriving late on Tuesday evening. “The time lag,” said the Queen, ever the diplomat. “You’re just trying to stay awake!” said Philip, ever the foot-in-mouth blunderer. Then the President told the Royals: “I had breakfast with the Prime Minister, I had meetings with the Chinese, the Russians, David Cameron… “And I’m proud to say I did not nod off in one of the meetings.” A guffawing Prince Philip then blurted out: “Can you tell the difference between them?” Now at first I thought that was an insult to David Cameron. But perhaps not. I may be wrong. Perhaps it was a compliment for the Tory leader to be compared to two powerful world leaders. Either way, it was vintage Prince Philip!

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Um, how’s she supposed to lift the woman over her head with one hand without touching her?

Jim Treacher on April 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM

The British may have Prince Philip, but we have Joe Biden!

Loxodonta on April 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM

She was just feeling where she wants to plunge the knife to pay the Queen back for the British colonization of Africa. No, I’m not kidding.

SouthernGent on April 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM

herrevery on April 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM

this whole day has been one giant ass “What would happen if Bush did this?”

Defector01 on April 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Michelle Obama touches the Queen

How gauche!

Constance on April 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Who cares? I can’t believe we still have kings and queens in this day and age.

p.s. never knew that the Queen of England is such a shrimp.

Entelechy on April 1, 2009 at 10:10 PM

p.s. never knew that the Queen of England is such a shrimp.

Entelechy on April 1, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Queenie is not so much a shrimp as Michelle is part Amazonian.

Also, that’s what happens after centuries of inbreeding.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on April 1, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I highly recommend you Netflixers out there to rent The Queen. It is a very well acted film chronicling the royal family and their reaction to the death of Princess Diana.
Queen Elizabeth II actually served during WW1 as a mechanic.

carbon_footprint on April 1, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Are there any vacancies in the Tower of London? It should only take, oh, four years or so for them to learn proper etiquette….

Master Shake on April 1, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Both of the Obamas have no class. I’m ashamed that they are in the White House.

Winebabe on April 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM

The Ipod thing is much more embarrassing. I can’t believe I am offering even a luke-warm defense, but I can’t really blame her for not knowing that she wasn’t supposed to touch her.

(Less explicable was when President George W. Bush winked at the Queen.)

Haha, why can I totally see him doing this. I miss GW.

Um, how

bitsy on April 1, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Can you say slow news day? I hardly think Her Majesty cared that Michelle gentle touched her shoulder. Better than W. accosting Angela Merkel with the moves of a sexual predator creeping up on his prey.

dcwvu on April 1, 2009 at 11:09 PM

dcwvu on April 1, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Know something of sexual predation, do you?

Bishop on April 1, 2009 at 11:15 PM

capitulus on April 1, 2009 at 11:28 PM

So, gaffes aren’t the exclusive province of Mr. Obama, eh?

Wonder if the WH protocol officer’s tenure is in jeopardy? Even if it’s cya.

As some have said, not the end of the world, but certainly bassakwards from what the libs told us to expect of the messiah and bride.

Maquis on April 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM

This story doesn’t bother me. I hate that the Obamas gave her an iPod, and that they are so generally contemptuous and classless, but I don’t think the FLOTUS has to treat the crowned head of England according to some higher protocol than would be expected by any other head of state. Her cute little kingdom is a good friend and ally, but we are not their subjects.

joe_doufu on April 2, 2009 at 12:00 AM

A fool is proud in their way, and knows not humility.

GD on April 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Queen or not, it is impolite for a young person to put their hands on an 86 year old woman. It’s not done. As a general rule, you don’t touch anybody you don’t know personally. Especially the very elderly, especially the Queen of England.

That woman has no common sense judgment. Just like her husband. She thinks she’s the Queen’s equal.

keep the change on April 2, 2009 at 12:15 AM

So I guess Michelle O’s attempts afterward to “high five” the Queen REALLY violated protocol.

viking01 on April 2, 2009 at 12:21 AM

A fool is proud in their way, and knows not humility.

GD on April 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM

In his way. (Unless the folly is really multiple personality disorder.)

Tzetzes on April 2, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I remember seeing Bill Clinton meet with the Pope and put his hand on the guy’s back. I’m no more Catholic than I am Buddhist, but I was shocked when I saw that. I mean, do you really NEED a protocol snot to tell you not to manhandle the freakin’ POPE?

It wasn’t even something I’d consider appropriate for normal guys palling around. It looked for all the world like he was guiding some floozy to her bar stool. I would have been insulted if somebody had done that to *ME*.

I never heard a word about that in the media though. This probably won’t make the alphabet network news at all either.

logis on April 2, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Lazy-eyed 50-ft. woman, apparently wearing mouthpiece, touches Her Majesty.
Too important to learn manners, I suppose.

omnipotent on April 2, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Class is something that is bred and cultivated in a person. She just doesn

misslizzi on April 2, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Finally, a situation where I can defend an Obama. This is much ado about nothing. The Queen will get over it.

zeebeach on April 2, 2009 at 6:13 AM

I don’t know about all of the protocol or customs, but it seems to me that in 1776 we declared that we would touch whatever Royal is on the throne and in 1783 we asserted that we could. In 1815 we reaffirmed.

Obama will kill this country with all of the socialist spending and social engineering, but this Queen touching is a load of BS.

OldeSCfan on April 2, 2009 at 6:53 AM

WIDDI

hawkdriver on April 2, 2009 at 6:59 AM

William Amos on April 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I’m no fan of the Obamas, not even close, however the queen of England isn’t our ruler and we are not beneath her. Monarchy is a silly outdated concept that should disappear. The whole foundation of our country was based on the premise THAT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL. If the British want to keep their little museum piece, so be it, but to suggest that she is somehow better than the POTUS (vile Obama aside, let’s pretend that we’re talking about Reagan – and there was some sort of “scandal” about the Reagan’s visit if I recall) is ridiculous.

Ann NY on April 2, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Ann NY on April 2, 2009 at 7:12 AM

It’s protocol and in whatever the capacity they serve, our leaders to include the wife of a leader is expected to observe the protocols when they represent us.

hawkdriver on April 2, 2009 at 7:22 AM

The Ipod thing is much more embarrassing.

That I totally agree with. The Obamas are the worst gift givers on the planet. I know they’re trying to make a point about colonialism and all, but still.

Ann NY on April 2, 2009 at 7:25 AM

It

Ann NY on April 2, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Of course Michelle Obama is disrespectful. I have yet to ever meet a liberal that was not disrespectful. I am sure there are some out there. Aren’t there? Maybe?

At any rate, Michelle Obama no longer has to worry about having scrofula.

Hawthorne on April 2, 2009 at 7:37 AM

What exactly did Obama say to Brown when they remet after that disastrous DVD choice?

“Um, hey. Heard the DVDs don’t work here. But, they’re really good movies, so you should get a new DVD player.”

amkun on April 2, 2009 at 8:02 AM

I really hate being in a position where I

hawkdriver on April 2, 2009 at 8:05 AM

“Queen Elizabeth II, left, and Michelle Obama at Buckingham Palace”

I’m glad someone cleared that up; I always get them confused…

And notice “Queen” Elizabeth but no “First Lady?” Dissed for touching?

karl9000 on April 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Oh spit. If HM is so averse to being touched, let her wear armour. I am no fan of Michelle Obama, but it isn’t as though she manhandled the Queen.

Ellen on April 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Take her to the Iran and have her hug some people.

Rogue Traveler on April 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM

You’re not supposed to pat her on the head neither.

Akzed on April 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I don’t think this is a huge deal but it does highlight something that’s bugged me about the Obamas. Obama constantly thumping a persons shoulder, whether it’s a reporter he’s pissed at (in the press room) or at a frail Ted Kennedy (during his last public appearance), is either patronizing, aggressive, disrespectful, condescending, arrogant or all of the above.

CarolynM on April 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Ah Michelle should have exposed her guns, said this one is for Ireland and this one is for Kenya and then proceeded to beat the Queen senseless with her fists.

It would have been rightly described as a death threat and assault.

Mr. Joe on April 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM