Card Check takes another blow from the Democrats

posted at 5:05 pm on April 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, The Hill reported that another Senate Democrat has expressed reluctance to support Card Check, and this one will sting.  Dianne Feinstein’s opinions carry significant weight within her caucus, and her apparent rejection of Big Labor’s prime directive will create more political cover for dissidents in her own caucus — as well as give moderate Republicans room to appease conservatives:

California Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D) on Tuesday told Capitol Hill reporters that she is skeptical of the Employee Free Choice Act, possibly dealing another deadly blow to the legislation.

Feinstein’s skepticism, coming a week after Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) announced his opposition, means Democratic leaders might find themselves in an even deeper hole as they search for 60 votes to move the so-called “card-check” bill.

“I think in this economy that what has to happen is that the unions and management get together and try to see if they can work out something,” Feinstein said. “The card-check bill, as drafted, in this economy, is extraordinarily difficult and I think almost a lightning rod to dissent. I think there are some things that can be done. I’ve talked with both sides and continue to talk to both sides to see if it isn’t possible to work something out.”

Feinstein hedged when asked if she was definitely opposed.

“I’m not on the bill, and I said what I said,” she said.

Ironically, Feinstein’s retreat came as Hollywood charged Capitol Hill.  The cast of The West Wing reassembled in Washington to lobby for Card Check’s passage.  Martin Sheen and Bradley Whitford criticized Arlen Specter’s reversal on the bill, calling it the “easy way out” for Specter, who has lost a tremendous amount of support among his constituents for his vote on Porkulus.  Of course, that also used to be called “listening to your constituents,” but obviously living in the political fanstasyland of The West Wing, Sheen and Whitford only had to listen to themselves and the people who wrote their dialogue for them.

I’m curious as to whether they think Feinstein took the “easy way out,” considering that she represents their state and will easily win re-election regardless of how she votes on Card Check?  Or maybe that she has more principle than they do about protecting workers from union intimidation by keeping the secret ballot as a mandatory part of union organizing elections?

Update: No, that’s not Sarah Palin in that pic.  I think I’ve had enough fun for the day.  Hope you all enjoyed the AFD fun!

Previous posts on Card Check:

Comments

I sincerely hope the joke’s not still on, Ed.

KingGold on April 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM

What kind of picture is that?

Kelligan on April 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Palin does not look good in that pic.

Abby Adams on April 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Card Check takes another blow from the Democrats

This time…

It’ll pass another time where there is less tadoo about it.

Then these arguments will be passed off as “old and discredited”

That’s how it works. Don’t we learn?

lorien1973 on April 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Your harshin’ my buzz with that pic.

aquaviva on April 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Feinstein also won’t allow solar farms in the desert. She is just making friends all over the place.

ctmom on April 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Yup Democrats are total left wing ideologues owned by unions…or maybe they are loser corporatists just like the GOP. How much more proof do you people need. The Democrats are NOT on the opposite side of free market conservatism, they just have a different set of rubes they pander to. Unions=the religious right for Democrats.

DeathToMediaHacks on April 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

How pathetic. “We play the executive branch on TV, so we understand”. Does anyone else remember Jessica Lange testifying before congress on a farm bill in the eighties, saying “I played a farm wife in a show about farm bankruptcies, so I understand the issue well”. Plus ca change…..

Vashta.Nerada on April 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

“…maybe that she has more principle.”

Last thing I’d accuse Di of having is ‘principle’. But have to admit that she’s one of the last I’d pick for rolling over on card check.

GarandFan on April 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

That’s not the Sarah I know

joe_doufu on April 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Has Hollywood not fallen into the Pacific yet?

pcpower1 on April 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Ed,

A picture of Di Fi on All Palin Day is NOT funny.

Right_of_Attila on April 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Agree with others above – shocking us with that DiFI photo was downright cruel.

CK MacLeod on April 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Palin sure is aging with this Obama presidency

faraway on April 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Wow, Ed, that was one heck of an April Fools – feed us Palin pics all day long, then slap Feinstein’s scary mug up there.

Well played…

vaquero bob on April 1, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Aren’t we all aging with this presidency?

pcpower1 on April 1, 2009 at 5:18 PM

WTF?

All I’ve had to look forward to all day long is yet another Sarah Palin pix quixotically adorning a Hot Air post and what do I get at 5:00?

Just go ahead and put up the Helen Thomas nudes and kill me now.

turfmann on April 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Please, no Michelle Obama pic to adminsiter the coup de grace to my rods and cones!

Despots hate the secret ballot.

They need to know who to whack.

profitsbeard on April 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Is that Helen Thomas in the picture??

Dire Straits on April 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Ed, please put a Palin photo up. It’s almost time for dinner.

JammieWearingFool on April 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM

No, that’s not Sarah Palin in that pic. I think I’ve had enough fun for the day.

Can you think of someone else besides yourself?

Blake on April 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM

But, but… Martin Sheen was on TV last night saying he supports card check! How can anyone in Washington oppose it, with that kind of support!

/sarc

Martin Sheen is an idiot. He’s letting his role as president on a TV show go to his head.

UltimateBob on April 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I love mooseburgers.

faraway on April 1, 2009 at 5:25 PM

UltimateBob on April 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM

One, the “Austrian Ballot” is as American as apple pie. Anything else, is too damn commie. Two, everyone knows they want card check in order to intimidate people into voting the way they want. Three, leftards are despicable.

Blake on April 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM

You stink Ed!

Mr_Magoo on April 1, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Sarah? Sarah? Are you out there Sarah?

“My heart is cryin’,cryin’
Lonely teardrops
My pillows never dry of
Lonely teardrops

“Just give me another chance
For our romance
Come on and tell me
That one day you’ll return
Cause everyday that you’ve been gone away
You know my heart does nothing but burn
Crying”

Lonely Teardrops – Jackie Wilson

Mr_Magoo on April 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Like kids at a birthday party without supervision the dems are gorging themselves. Sooner or later a few realize they are gorging themselves after they’ve devoured the cheetos and doritos and the entire “ito” family. Then they ate the cake and candy and realized they’ve done nothing “healthy” just gorged. Card check is the birthday cake, the piece de resistance of gorging, some might pass only out of fear they will spew it all sooner rather than later.

Kabuki theater alert, loved the spin on Hardball about the riots in London today. It was the tamest most harmless protest. Rove said earlier the Obama administration totally screwed up scheduling leaving cameras free to cover the protests. Obviously the spin machine gets in full gear now to pretend the protests were just some harmless fun from Europeans who are just as thrilled with Camelot as we all are.

msmveritas on April 1, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Ed!
Noooooooo!
This was cruel.

carbon_footprint on April 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Oh Ed, that was just mean.

Diogenes of Sinope on April 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Re: AFD…

It’s been real and it’s been fun, but it hasn’t been real fun.

JoeySlippers on April 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

That’s not the Sarah I know

joe_doufu on April 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Can we throw that one under a bus?

thomasaur on April 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

UltimateBob on April 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Alien takes Martin Sheen’s voice away. Somewhere else in that same ep, Martin Sheen slaps a black man. Racism? The old Outer Limits at its best.

Feedie on April 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Ed hurt AP’s feelings, we get punished

jp on April 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM

It would be hard to find many people who would argue that it was not the UAW that brought down the American auto industry. Management does share much of the blame only because they bent over too many times and made too many concessions. I know what I’m talking about because I work in Manufacturing and have seen Management, during contract negotiations, cave at the last minute to Union demands; many times at the expense of the salaried workforce.

I’ve read that one of the stipulations in the bailout money is that if States use it for construction, they must contract with Union workers. Statists never learn, do they? Don’t they see the irony?

I wonder how many of these Statists contract with Union workers when it’s their money they’re spending. My guess, never. It’s much like their tax policies, taxes are meant for you and me, not them. Typical Statists. Do as we say, not what we do.

SoldiersMom on April 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM

This BETTER be dead! Imagine taking a secret ballot away from Americans! Are you kidding me? This should never have got off the table. The fact that it did, shouts an alarm to us all about this Congress and this President!

Christian Conservative on April 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on April 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

You win. That was absolutely the most asinine nonsensical comment where someone was actually trying to make a serious point on Hot Air that I’ve ever read.

PS, Donks pander to the Religious Right come election time too.

hawkdriver on April 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Caption: “Duuuuuude. Have you ever, like, REALLY looked at your hand, man?? I mean really looked at it as a fellow spirit-being. Like, you know, peered into its soul. It’s beautiful, man.”

Mike D. on April 1, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Ironically, Feinstein’s retreat came as Hollywood charged Capitol Hill. The cast of The West Wing reassembled in Washington to lobby for Card Check’s passage.

Now that’s just a strange thing…. even by Hollywood standards. The US Film and Television industry has been one of the hardest hit by Unionization for many, many years. Most popular series and films are filmed in Canada, Australia, New Zealand or in the few Right to Work states. States with Union only production rules result in such high costs that they tend to put advertising out of reach for most small business, and freelancers who work under Union rules generally get less work than those in Right to Work states.

2nd Ammendment Mother on April 1, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Feinstain just wants her share of the union money. Pay up, unions!

NTWR on April 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Maybe I’m just thick, but I still don’t understand why the communists that hate the way our system works, with all that inconvenient constitutional stuff, don’t just leave in favor of a place that runs the way their heart desires….like Venezuela or Cuba.

They’ll lost the upcoming civil war, they don’t realize this?

Spiritk9 on April 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Here’s hoping Feinstein opposes Obama’s next ripoff of our grandchildren too. Please congress please stop spending money!

petunia on April 1, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Ya think?

Maquis on April 1, 2009 at 7:10 PM

WTF?

Just go ahead and put up the Helen Thomas nudes and kill me now.

turfmann on April 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I never write lol, but you earned a LOL! Can’t top that.

Maquis on April 1, 2009 at 7:13 PM

What do sheep, elephants, horses, lemmings and Union Members all have in common?

They all belong to herds that are easily stampeded by just one leader.

Not even the Congresstitutes can ignore the fact that, should Card Check pass, their Princely careers are toast.

SeniorD on April 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

pcpower1:
Aren’t we all aging with this presidency?

Yes. And faster than we would like.

blr2449 on April 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Has Hollywood not fallen into the Pacific yet?

pcpower1 on April 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Not until Hubby and I move. Can’t it be San Fran Nan first?

sheebe on April 1, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Yeah. I trust Feinstein. The only reason she is opposing this is because she made a deal with some RINO’s. Maybe this is the payoff to Specter, Snow, and that other cunt who betrayed the republicans.

csdeven on April 2, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Any help we can get on this issue, and the stopping of Obama-nation is to be gratefully received, but not payed back on some other bad legislation. I’ll cheerfully kick in a weeks lunch money for the fund to pay her off.

ctmom on April 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Rooftop solar applications are best, do to the transmission losses of electricity, and other infrastructure difficulties.

darktood on April 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM

I don’t care if every Dem (and RINO) drops Card Check like a bad habit, they need to be escorted to the door in the next election.

Mr. Grump on April 2, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I read this story a week ago and sent Diane a thumbs up. I’m a voter for her, and I had already told her……this is a true deal-breaker for me.

I will not vote for her again if she approves this awful travesty.

AnninCA on April 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM