Video: Does HR875 really mean the end of small farms?

posted at 12:18 pm on March 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’m getting e-mail about a new bill authored by Rosa DeLauro, HR875, claiming that it will mean an end to small farms and organic food, leading to the corporatization of farming. In doing some research this morning, I found little coverage of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) outside of advocacy-group websites. Glenn Beck, however, did a lengthy segment on the issue this weekend:

Some of what is claimed in this segment seems correct. The new Food Safety Administration, which would get created by the FSMA by merging the USDA with some elements of the FDA, does not define “farm” at all. In fact, the definition of “food production facility” appears to give the federal government the widest possible authority:

The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

That would include family farms of the kind discussed in the Beck segment.  Why is this important?  The reporting and bookkeeping requirements appear rather onerous for small producers, especially locals.  The FSMA would require producers to “track the food in commerce” without defining clearly what that means.  Would that require farmers who bring produce to local, direct-sale markets to get names and addresses of their customers, as claimed in this segment?  It seems unclear, but the record requirements appear to have that much leeway.

The effect of this legislation could push locals out of the business altogether in favor of large corporations that can handle reporting requirements more efficiently.  That would be rather ironic, since the impetus DeLauro used to push FSMA was a peanut contamination at a larger producer that sold its products to hundreds of food producers, spreading salmonella around the nation and killing nine people.  The FSMA appears at first blush to benefit big producers of the type that created the salmonella outbreak in the first place.

We need a lot more information on FSMA before Congress takes a vote on it.  Perhaps our national media might think to give this a little more coverage, considering its potential impact.  At least Glenn Beck seems interested in the topic.

Update: Lady Logician took a look at this last week.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We need a lot more information on FSMA before Congress takes a vote on it. Perhaps our national media might think to give this a little more coverage, considering its potential impact. At least Glenn Beck seems interested in the topic.

As if. The media doesn’t care about ‘rural hicks who chew on straw.’ If they aren’t hip and ethnic, screw ‘em.

I certainly hope they do shed more light on this, but I am not holding my breath.

Grafted on March 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Selective livestock breeding leads to higher production and is a form of genetic modification as is the evolutionary process itself.

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM

MarkTheGreat on March 31, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Your mind is made up for some reason. I will not take the risk. There is so much information out there ( if you research) on the issue of GM foods not having been in the food chain long enough to call it settled, that your stance is irresponsible.
Knock yourself out on GMs ;)

katy on March 31, 2009 at 2:15 PM

As a side benefit to the Socialists, the Government controls the flow of CA$H. What if they could do away with cash?

BNCurtis on March 31, 2009 at 2:17 PM

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I have read about them. That is a great story. Search out Dr. Mercola and use his search engine. He’s done a great deal of research on that. It’s pretty scary stuff.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I’m glad to see someone is finally talking about this bill. I am a gardener that sells produce at our local farmer’s market. My husband sat down this weekend and read the darn bill. The main problem with it is that it is too broad. It will affect even backyard growers who grow produce for themselves. In addition, it will affect people who have, say chickens or goats, for their own use. It affects hobby gardeners, home canners, anyone with a few chickens. What is especially bad is that anyone who commits an act that violates the food safety law may be assessed a civil penalty by the Administrator of no more than $1M for each act, AND they can confiscate your property (think home here people). This bill and SB425 are both really bad bills for everyone if anyone would stop and realize that it is going to affect you and stop you from growing anything for you and your family. Our government is pathetic.

MomintheFlyOverZone on March 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM

MomintheFlyOverZone on March 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM

As has been said before, the tracking is the big problem. The National Animal Identification System has long been fought by small farmers and it is explicitly called into this act. This is just one more wedge of control. More government control less individual freedom.

darcee on March 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM

The vast majority of herbicide-tolerant crops are Monsanto’s “Roundup Ready” varieties, tolerant to the herbicide glyphosate, which is sold under the brand-name Roundup. The dramatic rise in glyphosate use associated with Roundup Ready crops has spawned an epidemic of glyphosate-resistant weeds. Farmers respond to resistant weeds by upping the dose of glyphosate and other herbicides, such as the probable carcinogen 2,4-D (a component of Agent Orange) and the endocrine-disrupting weed killer atrazine.

And instead of having greater yield, Roundup Ready soybeans actually suffers from a 5-10 percent lower yield versus conventional varieties, due to adverse effects of glyphosate on the soybean’s nutrient uptakes and unintended effects of the genetic engineering process used to create the plant.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM

ndustries are easier to nationalize once they are concentrated in just a few large corporations.

1. Pass law that destroys small business.
2. Blame the destruction on the big businesses that remain.
3. Nationalize the big businesses with the blessings of the mob that has been incited against them.

forest on March 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Can Soylent Green be far behind?

Friendly21 on March 31, 2009 at 2:27 PM

It’s a national crisis! We need to put the re-education camps somewhere.

bitsy on March 31, 2009 at 3:03 PM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I’d love to see a citation for that.

I just did a quick perusal of the yield winners for both maize and soya from 2008 and almost all of them use Roundup Ready technology.

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 3:12 PM

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 3:12 PM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Katy, 2-4-D is not agent orange. That contained dioxin. 2-4-D is the most widely used selective herbicide in the world and 60 years of study and research has not found any harm to humans or animals. The cost of NOT using 2-4-D would be billions of dollars in the USA alone. http://www.24d.org/ I’m not taking their word for it. I use it and have never had a 2-headed cow or frog, and I have more birds than you have, guaranteed!

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 3:30 PM

So much for “Kitchen Gardens”…………….

……. I wonder what Mrs. Teleprompter is going to do now with her spare time?

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 3:30 PM

The article states that 2-4 D is a component of A O.

The author of this paper is in the link I posted a few posts up.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 3:36 PM

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 3:12 PM

One can get a decent estimate of Roundup Ready crops by looking at the clean rows during growth season. No farmer worth his salt will tolerate a 5-10% decrease in yield based on genetics. I would guess almost 100% of the soybeans planted are RR. If I’m going to worry about long term safety testing on anything, I’ll worry about new pharmaceuticals going into the marketplace.

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Katy, you obviously do not come from a part of the country that has bermuda grass. Don’t criticise Roundup. It has one deadly enemy; that is bermuda grass growing anywhere it is impossible for grass to grow – out of solid concrete and blacktop, in gravel and rocks, along fence rows. Roundup is generally not applied widespread, but as a direct spot application.

But, how some hate Monsanto. They are an eeevill chemical company and control all the world governments behind the scene. All who hate the chemical companies, enough should do do without their plastics, sealants, water sanitizers, toothpaste additives, colored clothes and all sorts of other evil things. Hey dummy, you probably owe your life to Monsanto specifically!

sarc off/

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM

sarc off/

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM

OCB… The huge generalization that I hate evil chemical companies is a bit much…I love big oil! ;)

But I’m certainly going to research for myself what are good aspects of a company or its product and what isn’t.

Owe my life to Monsanto???…. yikes….

Dummy????….. sheesh…..

katy on March 31, 2009 at 3:58 PM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Well, well, well, our old friend Bill Freese with the Center for Food Safety. Innocuous enough name. This is as hilarious as it is frightening.

Here is a short list of organizations that have financial, ideological, and personnel ties to Center for Food Safety:
American Corn Growers Association, Center for Media & Democracy, Center for Science in the Public Interest, Chefs Collaborative, Union of Concerned Scientists, Turning Point Project, Tides Foundation & Tides Center, Sierra Club, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Organic Consumers Association, Mothers for Natural Law, Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, Humane Society of the United States, Greenpeace.

In addition, they have a significant interest with the Deep Ecology movement. If you want to read about a group of people that hate humans and have an ideological drive to destroy most of the population of the world, then research Deep Ecology.

Thank you activistcash.com

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 3:58 PM

As usual, Guys. I’m going to refer you all to “The Last Centurion” by John Ringo for scenerios eerily similar to the current circumstances.

No we only need the pandemic.

El Coqui on March 31, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Your mind is made up for some reason.
katy on March 31, 2009 at 2:15 PM

My mind is made up because
1) I have researched the subject.
2) I actually understand how it works.
3) I have reviewed the studies.

you on the other hand listen to the irrational bleatings of people with no knowledge and no credibility.

I feel sorry for you.

MarkTheGreat on March 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM

MarkTheGreat on March 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM

ok

katy on March 31, 2009 at 4:03 PM

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I’m afraid that katy is one of these people who actually believes that GM crops will transfer the ability to resist roundup to anyone who eats.

MarkTheGreat on March 31, 2009 at 4:03 PM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Can’t you at least cite someone who isn’t a certifiable nutcase?

MarkTheGreat on March 31, 2009 at 4:05 PM

In my experience there is very little difference between the anti-GM crowd and your average 9/11 troother.

All have been immunized against any evidence that doesn’t support their pre-conceived beliefs.

MarkTheGreat on March 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Katy, Monsanto does more than farm chemicals and products. As to them contributing to some product that has saved your life, don’t be so dismissive. Since you like simple things, the road that was ice-free was probably due to a Monsanto product or additive. I sure am glad you didn’t hit that tree last winter, or that car stopped before you got run over in the crosswalk. Think of Bayer, they make the wonder drug asprin and what used to be Ortho …cides. Yikes!!!

Farmers are frugle people. Waste not want not. When farmers apply fertilizer, insecticide or herbicide, they do so in the minimum concentration possible. Although I can’t cite them, it has been known for a long time that the big polluters are the city and suburban folk. A higher concentration is always better according to most homeowners chasing weeds. And, with all the paved areas (city folk don’t like mud) the …cide tends to concentrte and run off, while the farmers chemicals tend to stay where they are put. So, if you want to throw a snit about pollution of chemicals, go beat up on your neighbor, not the farmer. You have met the enemy and he is you.

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Apparently my sources will not convince you of the danger of GM foods.
By making it personal, you don’t convince me of anything about GM foods. Other than a bit about your personal sensitivites.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 4:21 PM

MarkTheGreat on March 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Wow…. That statement speaks for itself….

katy on March 31, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 3:30 PM

DUDE.
Agent orange was half composed of 2,4-D (2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid.) The other half was 2,4,5-D (2,4,5-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid.)
The difference is extra one chlorine atom meta to the oxyacetic acid substituent.

Learn some chemistry. Please!

Source: I am a biochemist.

Seven Seas on March 31, 2009 at 4:31 PM

…the impetus DeLauro used to push FSMA was a peanut contamination at a larger producer that sold its products to hundreds of food producers, spreading salmonella around the nation and killing nine people.

Which had zero, zip, nada to do with farms, nothing to do with the peanuts. The contamination occurred at the factory.

Buy Danish on March 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Have you ever heard of RoundUp Ready soybeans? Looked at any soybean fields lately? See any with grass or weeds?

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Oh, you’re speaking my language.

Oink on March 31, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 4:20 PM

My posts here started with monsanto and seeds. I brought up GM’s. I do not eat them. I don’t trust the science. and I have read about Monsanto and GM’s and genetics more than most because I had a form of cancer years ago and since them have become very involved in health and holisitc healing.
Something that may not be your forte’ as farming is not mine.
I eat as much oraganic food as I can get and use only natural products in my house as much as possible. It’s never a sure thing but I do my best.

The world around me is filled with chemicals. Got it! I have no problem with technology and chemicals. I am not going to eat them. That’s it!

katy on March 31, 2009 at 4:43 PM

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Again, my language. And you’re right.

Oink on March 31, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Seven Seas: I admit that I am not a biochemist. And I do know that 24D was a component of AO. However,and this frail old memory may fail me, wasn’t the problem with AO was that it was contaminated with or contained dioxin? And, wasn’t the dioxin the problem?

Nope, I didn’t have biochemistry (Isaac Isamov did) but I did take and learn inorganic, some organic, qual, quant, physical chemistry,and a few other basic engineering courses. I apologize if I am not up to your standards, but I wasn’t really trying to dispute the 24D, but to bring up that, according to my memory, the 24D wasn’t the problem. Of course, I could be wrong; I know I was when I joined the Army in the ’60s.

I’ll tell you what, I will answer a simple chemistry question if you will answer a very simple solid state physics question.

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 4:50 PM

MarkTheGreat on March 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Mark,

I had a co-worker ( a pilot) who died in the 9/11 attack. Be careful when you spew such stuff.

Sometimes you just don’t know. Join the family here but have some respect!

katy on March 31, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I can understand folks wanting to eat organic food and that’s fine. Supply and demand – the market has you covered.

But sometimes folks tend to get things way too far out of proportion when it comes to chemicals in agriculture!

It’s like when the chemical was outlawed that killed mosquitoes in Africa and now millions of people end up with malaria. (Forgive me but I don’t recall the name of the chemical.) Sometimes people think just a bit tooooo hard and end up cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Oink on March 31, 2009 at 4:53 PM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Any new technology should be greeted with some skepticism and an open mind. You are to be commended for researching the subject. Don’t let hidden agendas by either side influence your conclusions. Here is something else to ponder,..a number of vaccines have been genetically modified to enhance efficacy or safety. Also, monoclonal antibodies are produced from hybridomas which are a mass of tissue produced by melding single antigen sensitized lymphocytes harvested from other species with a human cervical cancer cell line. Don’t let special interest groups
be the sole source of your research.

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 4:55 PM

(Forgive me but I don’t recall the name of the chemical.)
Oink on March 31, 2009 at 4:53 PM

That would be DDT.

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I have no problem with DDT or any of that. My concern is for altering the DNA of seeds. It’s messing with God’s natural design and there is not enough we know about what it will do to human or animal health.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Kare, bless your heart, you do argue well and are enjoyable to read. However, ALL food is organic except for some salt, etc. Food that is not organic is called rocks. I think you really mean government or interest group designated “organic” food. I would caution you that organic food can have all sorts of nefarious microbial (no I am not a biochemist) on them as attributed to the tomato/pepper/spinich scares often came from “organic” fields. Wash yur food well, but only use hand made lye soap. The others may have a monsanto chemical in them.

I meant this post to be light hearted.

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Oink on March 31, 2009 at 4:53 PM

DDT, as a capella said. And the manufactured outrage about GM foods is having the exact same type of effect in Africa–it is killing people.

baldilocks on March 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM

It the way of thinking that is the problem not the items themselves.

baldilocks on March 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Don’t let special interest groups
be the sole source of your research.

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 4:55 PM

What I do is cross reference information I find. I don’t go with one research group. I look for patterns and go with it.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I do. I use natural anti microbials on my whole foods and meats. Grapefruit seed extract

Thanks OCB…. :)

katy on March 31, 2009 at 5:05 PM

baldilocks on March 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM

huh?

katy on March 31, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 4:50 PM

sorry if i was a little rough. i like the chemistry courses you did back in the day. in some ways, i wish i had done organic back when the common names were still used.

as for the physics, i’m up for your challenge: i took some physics in my undergrad years. i was never as good at math (took up to multivariable calculus and ordinary differential equations too, enough to get me by in pchem and quantum chemistry) or engineering (no experience) as my chemical engineer friends, but i knew enough to get by. i can write maxwells equations by memory in both differential and integral form, both in free and total charge and currents.

as for the dioxin (defined here as polychlorinated dibenzodioxins and not as 1,4-dioxin) issue, 2,4-D and 2,4,5-D are not in themselves dioxins, nor are they likely to be acutely toxic nor carcinogenic. the issue was with dioxin contaminants in them resulting from manufacturing processes (TCDD), as well as the decomposition products of agent orange.

Seven Seas on March 31, 2009 at 5:08 PM

baldilocks on March 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM

DDT is no longer effective against mosquitoes. Most populations have evolved resistance.

Seven Seas on March 31, 2009 at 5:09 PM

huh?

katy on March 31, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Not trying to speak for baldi here, but I think she was referring to the refusal of certain African governments to allow GM grains in to feed starving people,..so they die. I don’t pretend to understand the governmental motives for doing it.

a capella on March 31, 2009 at 5:14 PM

seven seas, you are a gentleman and definitely a scholar. All I remembered was the contamination problem, and I know (after DDT) that if the 24D was the problem, some bureaucrat would have banned it by now. I was only periphially in the chemical field by choice. Being from OK, I was “encouraged” to memorize the sequential -anes in petroleum chemistry. I still remember them, and that is why I pursued other fields of science. Heck, I wanted to be different. Everybody in my class could recite the -anes.

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 5:18 PM

yeah, chemistry education has moved away from rote memorization nowadays. the thinking is that students would be better off looking those things up. (which is cerane and which is tetrakosane again?)

what branch of science are you in?

Seven Seas on March 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Minnesotans, take time to see who backs this in our state. Especially those that claim to be dFlers.

oakpack on March 31, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I used to be a dairy farmer and I could not sell my milk for human consumption. If I sold milk to an individual I had to sell it as dog food. And if I wanted to sell it for fluid milk consumption I had to be part of the Grade A program. That included testing of the milk, the farm, the cows, the manure handling system, the housing for the calves and the cows. etc. In other words government has been telling farmers what to do for decades. This is just more of the same.

Terrye on March 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM

When I saw I could not sell my milk for human consumption, I mean I could not sell it to individuals. I had to go through the program.

Terrye on March 31, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Actually, I’m a retired Metallurgical Engineer, specializing in everything, but particulary corrosion. That is why some of my chemistry stayed with me. However, I think I retired just in time. The new hot stuff is microbial corrosion of materials. It was a difficult life dealing with mechanical engineers thinking that everything just broke by overstress or fatigue. In my experience, corrosion was often the initiator. And yeah, I had the diffe and all the other calc. My main use for the calc was to manipulate sources of error and input effects on processes.

Old Country Boy on March 31, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I don’t know if anyone noticed, but the link from Ladies Logic indicates that DeLauro has a huge conflict of interests:

House Resolution 875, or the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, was introduced by Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., in February. DeLauro’s husband, Stanley Greenburg, conducts research for Monsanto – the world’s leading producer of herbicides and genetically engineered seed.

INC on March 31, 2009 at 5:38 PM

INC on March 31, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I posted earlier in the tread that FSMA is a ruse. Follow the money.

Monsanto is always below the surface of anything that seeks to control AG.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 5:55 PM

INC on March 31, 2009 at 5:38 PM

This retraction by the Las Vegas Review Journal should clear that up.

An editorial in the March 18 Las Vegas Review-Journal stated Stanley Greenberg, husband of Connecticut Democratic Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, who has proposed legislation imposing new mandates on food producers, “is a leading Democratic political strategist and consultant with clients including pesticide and fertilizer giant Monsanto.” Both DeLauro’s office and a spokesman for Greenberg’s firm said Thursday that Monsanto has not been a client of Greenberg’s for more than 10 years.

HERE

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 6:03 PM

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Not exactly off the hook. Greenberg is a very influential progressive.

I still say follow the money. I would not be surprised if someone were to find some strong ties in some manner that still exist.

It’s just too coincidental.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 6:19 PM

MomintheFlyOverZone on March 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM

That’s the intent of the bill. It will eventually force out all private growers. Even home gardens. The corporatist government wants to control the food supply.

True_King on March 31, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Katy,
Agreed… GreeDburgs fingerprints are all over this…
The time factor only gives him plausible deniability …

jerrytbg on March 31, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Er … newsflash Captain …

USA is BROKE
Social Security Surplus GONE
Banks NATIONALIZED
Car Companies NATIONALIZED
Markets TANKING (well except for the sucker’s rally)
Dollar DEVALUED
Debt MONETIZED
Inflation COMING
Southern Border SWISS CHEEZE
Governors in open REVOLT

Yeah … I guess you’re right – we should wait for independent corroboration.

HondaV65 on March 31, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I think the Constitutional Representative Democracy that we have now is just fine.

America may currently be a de facto Representative Democracy (which is steadily tilting toward oligarchy), but it sure as Hell ain’t Constitutional.

The Constitution established a democratic Republic. And, God willing, America (or some significant portion thereof) will return to that.

Harpazo on March 31, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

The Russians just proposed going back on the Gold Standard while Geitner proposed signing on to a Global Currency Reserv not based on the dollar. The US is slowly, stealthilly nationalizing industries and looking to take steps that would prevent people not wishing to sign on to the brave new world from being able to make a living.

Control the food, you control the people.
Control the money, you control whole nations.
Control enough nations, you can dictate to the rest of the world what will be.

I know the Bible verses may trip AP’s tinfoil religous nut alarm, but take in the whole Gestalt of it if you can, and also try and remember that the Tri-Lateral Commission, Bilderbergers and the Council on Foriegn Relations all having cross membership are working toward the goal of eliminating National identity and a Global Government.

Give it a try. And honest try. It may be hard for some of you non-religious tinfoil hat nuts I know. But do try.

44Magnum on March 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

and establishing a Global Government

44Magnum on March 31, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I think the argument has gone a ways off-path here. This bill is not good for anyone. Nobody. Nadie. How, pray tell, does this POS of a bill give anyone an advantage? I’m buried in paperwork and record keeping a couple of hours a day to keep the USDA, FDA, and various and sundry state and local agencies off my back. All I need is one more RFID or transponder number to track and keep on record (paper AND electronic) for five years. One more regulation that is selectively enforced.
I’ve got stuff to do, and don’t need this crap sandwich on my plate.

Tio on March 31, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Tio, your needs are not anywhere near the top of the stack for consideration by the powers that be, sorry to have to inform you.

But, as a small buisness owner myself, I DO understand of where you come from on this.

44Magnum on March 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM

time for change, oh, we have that don’t we?

foxone on March 31, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I’ll continue to grow my Tomato’s, Cukes, Green Beans, Taters, Carrots, and Onions. I’ll need them to keep going, Thanks Federal Government…

M-14 2go on March 31, 2009 at 9:39 PM

MomintheFlyOverZone on March 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM

True_King on March 31, 2009 at 6:32 PM

This is frakin’ crimminal.

Zimbabwe, anyone?

Maquis on March 31, 2009 at 9:48 PM

M-14 2go, better start hoarding seeds. And with Monsanto geneticly engineered seeds, you get 1 planting and the produce that have seeds, those seeds are engineered to not germinate.

They’ve been doing that with corn for about a couple decades now.

44Magnum on March 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

From DrudgeReport – Earth Population “exceeds limits” and mentions the NEED for GMO-foods:

Here’s a link from Dr. Mercola’s website and video to view called “The Future of Food”:

I also read that there’s a new disease possibly caused by eating GMO-foods called “Morgellan’s disease” which is like watching a science fiction movie. There’s not enough info to back this up at this time, but search online for more info on this disease. I, myself only eat organic foods, grass-fed meats, etc. It is so obvious with all that’s happening the goal is towards a New World Order whose members include The Bilderbergers, Rockefellers, Skulls & Bones plus the world bankers, FDA, pharma drug companies (too keep us sick, not heal), etc. It’s all connected. Wake up before it’s too late!

corvettelady on March 31, 2009 at 10:15 PM

The sad irony of all the overpopulation hysteria is that it’s all gonna be a distant memory in a few decades.

The world’s population is only just starting in on a big-time downward slide that’s ahead of us as the mid-20th-century population surge generations die off and sub-replacement birth rates become more common in the increasingly-modernized third-world countries.

The 21st century is likely going to be one that sees a pretty substantial population crunch — unless, of course, the Quiverfull movement REALLY takes off and the western world starts breeding kids by the dozen again.

And, as they always do, the government policies enacted to “fix” the “problem” of “too many people” on the planet will remain in place when there are no longer too many people. Politicians (and policy) are usually pretty far behind the curve on current events. This is a good thing when it is because they are fervently debating the issue in order to hammer out solid, prudent policy; it is a very bad thing when the cause is simple ignorance which, upon realizing they are late to the party, passes a law — any law! — to do something about it.

Harpazo on March 31, 2009 at 10:44 PM

OT

They’ve been doing that with corn for about a couple decades now.

44Magnum on March 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

This is not true. You are mistaken.

Farmers keep the seed and replant it all the time, even though they are oftentimes breaking their contractual agreement with the seed company. Why do you think that they must sign contracts with seed companies to not collect and replant.

The ‘Terminator Seed’ is fiction. Please quit speading misinformation. Yes there is a patent for it, but that technology is not in production. Its all about protecting the patents involved in the technology.

Genetic engineering occurs naturally in the world. It has been happening for millions of years. Agrobacterium tumefaciens is a bacteria that occurs naturally in the soil. It has the ability to transfer genetic material into plants, which then are compelled to produce the genetic products that are encoded in the transgene. In addition, viruses have the ability to ‘take with them’ host genetic material and then infect another host with it.

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 11:00 PM

I called deLauro’s office this morning and had an interesting conversation with the phone boy. When i told him that I thought that his boss’s bill stunk like DDT and revealed that I had every reason to believe that Monsanto, Cargill, and Tyson were behind it, this twit went so far to say: ‘The rumors you are hearing are from Monsanto—they don’t want the bill to pass’. after a short second i said, ‘Gee, why would they spread rumors about how they don’t want anyone eating organic food from a road side stand, community gardens, a farmer’s market or your back yard?’ That shut him up for a few ticks, then he offered to email me the ‘short version of the bill. No thank you.
If you go to her website you will get the feeling that she is unwell and that she should be eating nothing but organic food herself and had lots of chemotherapy in the recent past. I’d feel sorry for her if she wasn’t such a tool.
If you Google the bill, and find the link to answers to questions about it, there are links to some informative videos.
Please, call your Rep.s and stop this before Stalin’s policy takes over. (Look it up.)

BTW, like wheat, (which has been bio-engineered so much that it no longer is the same grain that we ate as kids; it is then over-processed into glutinous glop that causes many chronic conditions/diseases), corn is also a real problem. Because it has been genetically altered with lime, it is hard to digest. Buy only organic corn that is not treated with lime. Agri-business like Monasanto is behind this and then we have the pharmaceutical companies that only treat the symptoms of these maladies that could be remedied by changing our diets and using supplements, vitamins, etc.

Christine on April 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Christine, what is your agenda? Are you educated in biological science? Your post is full of nonsense. Why would corn be genetically altered with lime? Wheat is the quintessential crop for non genetic alteration. It isn’t profitable.

daesleeper on April 1, 2009 at 1:05 AM

” I am from the government and I am here to help “.

Johan Klaus on April 1, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Farmers keep the seed and replant it all the time.

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 11:00 PM

What? In fact, none ever do.

Do you even know what a hybrid is?

This has nothing to do with “genetic engineering.” This is straight up agribusiness for the last half century or more.

I have been involved in farming in the USA for almost 40 years. I know of no real, regular farmers who save their seed. It would make no sense. If you plant hybrid varieties, the seed you keep would be totally worthless.

The exception is open-polinated varieties (heirlooms, for you gardeners.)

Just to use corn as a simple example: Seed corn has been produced for most of a century by crossing true-breeding varieties. The physical process by which hybrids are produced is called “detassling.” Usually about two rows of corn is left tassled (male), in order to polinate every six rows of detassled (female) corn.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid

notropis on April 1, 2009 at 1:43 AM

daesleeper on March 31, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Yes, the Iowa CORN Farmers I know are stupid and don’t know how to keep seed and replant….. (rolleyes)

I love how you’re a basket full of contradictions such as “The ‘Terminator Seed’ is fiction. Please quit speading misinformation. Yes there is a patent for it, but that technology is not in production.

Lets have a patent on something that makes shidtpot loads of money for Monsanto… but..but we won’t use it? LOL!

Pfffffftttttt!

And I loved this one too “Farmers keep the seed and replant it all the time, even though they are oftentimes breaking their contractual agreement with the seed company. ”

Most farmers I know would never sign an exclusivity agreement like you’re proposing here. I think you’re full of shi..propaganda.

44Magnum on April 1, 2009 at 1:59 AM

We need a lot more information on FSMA before Congress takes a vote on it.

Yeah, just like we got on the stimulus, right Ed? You’re dreaming if you think we’ll ever see anything proper or ethical being down with the current power structure.

RightWinged on April 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM

Fact is, unfortunately the Prez and the Dem controlled Congress have learned quickly that the larger the business model they wish to control, the easier it is to take control via TARP-like bills, and yes, even to nationalize the business or industry.

There are still far too many small farmers in existence, so forcing them out of business either by having larger farm corporations buy them out or drive them out of business will ultimately make it easier for the gubment to step in and take over down the road.

Isn’t that where this is all headed? Complete and utter control of all business and industry in the USA?

KendraWilder on April 1, 2009 at 4:39 AM

This is utter stupidity. If you have a disaster from a contaminated facility you want it to be as small as possible. Pushing agriculture toward larger corporate facilities will only kill more people when something bad happens, it will not save anybody. All this will do is get the government more control, which is all they really care about.

Hawthorne on April 1, 2009 at 6:19 AM

BTW, you folks are aware that food production is the single largest industry in the United States right? Naturally the government will want to get its hands on that just like it wants medical.

Hawthorne on April 1, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Ed says:
“The problem with Glenn Beck is that he’s one of the New Populists, a class of pundits that get ratings by claiming The End Is Nigh. It might be, but you need some independent corroboration before selling all your worldly possessions and heading for the wooden shack in the hills.”

So, Ed, how are you supposed to get independent corroboration? Hire a consulting firm? The trouble Ed is that you continue to hang with the GOP Hierarchy and spew their talking points regarding the “populace”. Those, such as yourself, that have contempt for the “populace” out there in flyover country. Forgetting all the while that it is the population and former/estranged GOP voters – they’re one and the same. Which is why we Republicans keep losing elections. Politics 101: Don’t “dis” your Base. You and the GOP could learn something by observing Glenn Beck, but I fear it won’t happen in time for 11/2/10. In your arrogance you simply have become un-teachable. You’ve assigned yourselves some sort of god-like infallibility, sadly. Darvin Dowdy

Darvin Dowdy on April 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM

As a beef producer this is just another affront to us & our way of life.
Big Ag has been taking everything in the food sector over inch by inch. We have been dealing with crap like this for decades. Many states have laws against corporations owning farms/ranches-like here in ND.
Big Ag in some ways can be more efficient than the little guy. But what people do not understand is that Big Ag can afford to rape & pillage the land with little consequence bcs they are so big. They can afford to screw up the land, abuse animals, etc all for profit bcs they have lots of $$ & assets.
All of you buying your food from Big Ag, like your:
poultry
hogs
corn products
wheat products
lunchmeat
God the list is huge.
Local producers may charge a bit more for a product, but you can be reasonably well assured it will be safe.
Big Ag takes short cuts bcs there is no USDA inspector.
Understand this-when you see a USDA sticker on your meat, for example, that is no indication it is SAFE or even produced in the USA. It has not even been inspected.
They let the Big Ag inspect themselves.
Then they inspect the little guy.
Imagine you are a small butcher. You sell hamburger. You get this hamburger by buying boxed beef from the big packers-EVERY butcher does so (except for those selling local stuff exclusively).
The butcher then ‘processes’ his own product to sell.
If that product ends up + for E-coli, etc, then HE is held responsible for the contamination-NOT the big packer.
But that is where the contamination originates.
So why is the little guy held responsible?
Big Ag has its $$ deep in the pockets of lawmakers.
Change you can believe in.

Badger40 on April 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Any farm bill coming from Comrade Obama is certain to contain the Zimbabway Solution – a provision to confiscate farmland owned by white farmers and redistribute it to poor blacks (mainly Comrade O’s cronies from Chicago). You can be sure it’s there, buried in the boilerplate. Too bad Congress no longer reads the bills they vote on.

lonesomecharlie on April 1, 2009 at 12:13 PM

BTW-the farm bill is usually about 70% welfare-like Food Stamps & WIC. It is NOT for farmers.

Badger40 on April 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Big Ag-Soylent Green.
Will they merge?

Badger40 on April 1, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I really hate backyard gardening, maybe basement gardening wont be so bad. But we will have to be careful about electrical usage.

darktood on April 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM