Unbelievable: Obama’s new HHS nominee has tax problems too

posted at 7:15 pm on March 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

And by “unbelievable,” I of course mean inevitable. Remember, she was the “safe” choice for HHS after Daschle got dinged for — that’s right — not paying his taxes.

By CBS’s count, this is the sixth nominee to have tax trouble. Yes, really.

In the letter, which was sent to senators and dated today, Sebelius wrote that she had made changes related to charitable contributions, business expenses and the sale of a home, according to the AP.

The wire service reports that she and her husband paid just over $7,000 in back taxes, along with $878 in interest, for the years 2005-2007…

On the charitable contributions front, she writes that she could not locate three acknowledgment letters out of her 49 charitable contributions in excess of $250, and thus eliminated those three deductions.

She also writes that she had “insufficient documentation” for some of her tax dedications for business expenses, though because of the Alternative Minimum Tax they did not affect the amount owed. She also said she mistakenly paid off a home loan that included deductable mortgage interest.

The Standard has a copy of the letter, in which she claims not to have noticed the errors until she asked a CPA to vet her returns from 2005-07 as preparation for her Senate confirmation. Exit question: Why didn’t a CPA at least catch the error on mortgage interest when the returns were originally prepared? Or do we have another implausible case here, a la Geithner, of a public official — the governor of Kansas, in this case — using Turbo Tax or something to do her own returns? Don’t politicians use accountants anymore?

Update: No biggie, says Baucus.

“Congress is going to need a strong partner at the Department of Health and Human Services to achieve comprehensive health reform this year, and we have that partner in Gov. Sebelius,” Baucus said. “There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Gov. Sebelius has the political experience, determination, and bipartisan work ethic to get the job done with Congress this year. She’s the right person for the job.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

its nice to be a democrat

rob verdi on March 31, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I’ve been calling senators offices about her, as I am very much pro life, and she sends shivers down my spine… Sam Brownbenck is a yes…. (yes a pro live Catholic) I guess he’s thinking about running for Governor… Maybe he’ll have second thoughts… pro choice, pro partial birth, tax cheat… sounds like honor and integrity to me…

kringeesmom on March 31, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Nobody aborts babies like Sebelius…nobody.

The Obama-ciders must have her.

Had enough? http://www.accdf.com

ex-Democrat on March 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM

This just proves that our current tax system is so convoluted that our own government officials can’t seem to get their taxes done correctly! Yet they expect us to have them word perfect every year or “smack” us with penalties and fines!

fbcmusicman on March 31, 2009 at 9:46 PM

fbcmusicman on March 31, 2009 at 9:46 PM

No sympathy. They wrote the tax law, they get to live with results.

Funny, I’ve managed to get my taxes right for 30-some years….could be why I’m not a libtard.

BobMbx on March 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

come on….. it’s not that hard to remember whether you sold a house, had a job that paid money, or favors that were just like income…. they are just cheaters pure and simple…. which figures.. they want everyone else to pay the taxes while they spend it as fast as they can.

Tax Cheat Timmy tells Capitol Hill, I don’t pay taxes, but the rest of you will.

kringeesmom on March 31, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Hey…I’ve got it! A sure-fire way to eliminate tax cheats!
All The Big O has to do is nominate every single American citizen to a cabinet post!

uncivilized on March 31, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Maybe all of this will convince President Obama of the need of a Fair Tax or flat tax. Nah, who the heck am I kidding.

jimmy2shoes on March 31, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Texas Gal on March 31, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Hey just wondering… if Texas decides to leave the Union, can I move there?

ChicagoBlues on March 31, 2009 at 7:40 PM

You might want to come on down now and get ahead of the stampede!

;)

Texas Gal on March 31, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Is there such a thing, as an honest democrat?

Kjeil on March 31, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Am I the only person in America paying his taxes?

gridlock2 on March 31, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Inconceivable!

TheSitRep on March 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Again! A perfect storm of incompetence, corruption, and communism.

Dhuka on March 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM

This is the tip of the iceberg. she has more tax problems and is leaving a mess in kansas.

seven on April 1, 2009 at 12:00 AM

What’s so unbelievable? Isn’t that one of their requisites for getting hired?

LFRGary on April 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Barack,

This is just an idea. Have a monkey throw a dart at a page in the phone book. You will do better.

P.S. I don’t mean anything by using the word monkey.

Star20 on April 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Again, I have to ask: Does Obama know anyone who is on the level? Anyone?

ToddonCapeCod on April 1, 2009 at 12:28 AM

These stories keep bringing one word to mind – CARPETBAGGER

I looked it up. Wikpedia has the wrong definition and information. It says that they were Republicans who went south but that is not true. So I looked at another link and found a better definition.

“Politicians who used their positions to corrupt Reconstruction Government to enrich themselves through bribes, graft and other despicable acts at the expense of native Southerners”

The definition needs a little bit of fine-tuning. I think it fits perfectly. You have a POTUS who is nothing more than a carpetbagger – an outsider.

maggieo on April 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM

What the…? Is Obama vetting these people more stringently than usual or are they just all cheating?

PattyJ on April 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM

PattyJ on April 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM

They are Democrats. They don’t pay taxes, they collect them

old trooper2 on April 1, 2009 at 2:55 AM

By CBS’s count, this is the sixth nominee to have tax trouble. Yes, really.

I was fixin’ to say… “unbelievable”? Since when did we change the definition of that word to mean VERY believable?

As for the count… I thought there were like a half dozen less important nominees, and about 6 for important positions?

RightWinged on April 1, 2009 at 3:52 AM

Obumbles is a freaking genius. Maybe a little less time spent on NCAA brackets would have been fruitful?

hillbillyjim on April 1, 2009 at 5:54 AM

A socialist wanting government one payer insurance program could have a dead body in his/her closet and Democraps would find that person qualified for HHS Secy, just ask Sen. Kennedy.

eaglewingz08 on April 1, 2009 at 6:45 AM

No sympathy. They wrote the tax law, they get to live with results.

BobMbx on March 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

It’s funny. The one time I didn’t figure out my taxes correctly, I got a nice letter from the IRS stating that I had paid too much. Enclosed was a check for the difference.

If youcan’t figure out the US tax code, how can we trust you with an entire cabinet department?

rbj on April 1, 2009 at 8:09 AM

fbcmusicman on March 31, 2009 at 9:46 PM

A beaurocrat from the old Soviet Union was once quoted as saying that the govt wanted the laws to be so complex that it was impossible to go an entire day without breaking one of them.

Keeping ordinary citizens constantly afraid of being punished for breaking the laws, gave the govt enormous power over the citizenry. By granting the boon of ignoring these minor offenses, the govt gained great control over the future actions of the perpetually guilty.

MarkTheGreat on April 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Barack,

P.S. I don’t mean anything by using the word monkey.

Star20

That’s OK. If you did call Ogabe a monkey it wouldn’t be racist unless you intended it to be. However it is insulting to monkeys. They have considerably more dignity than that big-eared socialist freak.

SKYFOX on April 1, 2009 at 9:34 AM