Trailer: Brothers at War

posted at 3:30 pm on March 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I have received a lot of e-mail about the new film Brothers at War, a documentary by Jake Rademacher about his two brothers and their desire to serve their country by going to Iraq — and what that sacrifice means to them, and to us.  Michael Yon notes that the producers of the film plan a “surge” of sorts, attempting to get people into the theaters to see this:

BROTHERS AT WAR is an intimate portrait of an American family during a turbulent time.  Jake Rademacher sets out to understand the experience, sacrifice, and motivation of his two brothers serving in Iraq. The film follows Jake’s exploits as he risks everything—including his life—to tell his brothers’ story.  Often humorous, but sometimes downright lethal, BROTHERS AT WAR is a remarkable journey where Jake embeds with four combat units in Iraq. Unprecedented access to U.S. and Iraqi combat units take him behind the camouflage curtain with secret reconnaissance troops on the Syrian border, into sniper “Hide Sites” in the Sunni Triangle, through raging machine gun battles with the Iraqi Army.  Ultimately, the film follows his brothers home where separations and life-threatening work ripple through their parents, siblings, wives and children.  BROTHERS AT WAR provides a rare look at the bonds and service of our soldiers on the frontlines and the profound effects their service has on the loved ones they leave behind.

Rademacher wrote in an e-mail:

The honest storytelling of “Brothers At War” has received praise from war fighters, veterans, military families, Hollywood celebrities, and now Medal of Honor recipients. Join them by supporting this film which gives a true depiction of our nation’s warriors and their families.

After the Medal of Honor Society’s closing ceremony, Col. Jack Jacobs expressed his feelings about Brothers at War to some of his friends and fellow recipients.  It was one of the proudest moments of my life that something I had done with the help of such an excellent team would draw praise from such an individual.

Next to you or down the aisle this weekend, there just may be a Medal of Honor recipient.

This week’s effort includes these showings:

4/03/2009
Shreveport, LA (near Barksdale AFB, US Air Force) Cinemark Tinseltown 17 – Cinemark
Clarksville, TN (near Fort Campbell, US Army) Carmike Governor’s Square 10 – Carmike
Hampton, VA (near Langley AFB, US Air Force), AMC Hampton Towne Center 24 – AMC
Newport News, VA (near Fort Eustis, US Army), AMC Kiln Creek 20 – AMC
Colorado Springs, CO Cinemark Carefree Circle – Cinemark
El Paso, TX Carmike 16 – Carmike
Augusta (near Fort Gordon, US Army) Regal Augusta Exchange – Regal Cinemas

If you’re nearby, support the film with your presence.  It looks like a good, honest, and respectful film about honor, duty, and sacrifice, the kind we’ve wanted Hollywood to make.  Gary Sinise exec-produced it, which gives an indication of its quality.  Hopefully it will be a big success.

Comments

ITs coming to Shreveport! YIPPEE!!! I am there!!

TheHat on March 31, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Thanks Ed.

hawkdriver on March 31, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Ed, thank you for posting this! I was an NCO in F Co. 51st IN (LRSC) (Airborne), one of the units portrayed. While I have yet to see the movie in its entirety, I was around for much of the filming. Cpt. Rademacher is a good man and a great soldier. I hope everyone will check it out and, if so moved, try to organize a showing where they live.

davenp35 on March 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM

It’s people like these brave young brothers that give me hope for our country. Thanks for posting this.

Loxodonta on March 31, 2009 at 3:42 PM

looks great, thank God for the US Military.

lavell12 on March 31, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Salute to hawkdriver and davenp35.

Patrick S on March 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM

If you’re nearby, support the film with your presence.

……….. you can count on it!

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I’d be grateful if you would provide follow up dates for showings in additional cities.

Dukehoopsfan on March 31, 2009 at 3:48 PM

It’s no where near me, but I hope to rent it when it comes out, possibly buy it when available on DVD.

Torch on March 31, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Holy Crap!! Rademacher’s in a freakin’ movie! He was a Platoon leader in my company when I served in the 504th. We were in Afghanistan together…crazy stuff…

charlie36r on March 31, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I usually wait and listen to the media-approved arrogant homosexuals’ opinions on a movie – then do the opposite of what they suggest.

But if Micheal Yon’s recommending this film, I can skip all the ‘official’ reviews and just go see it.

logis on March 31, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I cannot wait to see this film. If it comes within a 100 miles radius of where I am, I’ll be there.

If I have to wait for dvd, fine, but I want to see this on the big screen and I want to fork over the full price admission to support this film.

myrenovations on March 31, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Wow, Gary Sinise is executive producing it? Hopefully it’ll get widespread coverage.

amerpundit on March 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I saw it at the hometown premiere last Friday night. All I can say is, see it if you can, and support it any way you can.

ReubenJCogburn on March 31, 2009 at 4:03 PM

amerpundit on March 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM

For folks that don’t track Mr. Sinises work, he is a tireless supporter of the military. He is one of the Hollywood good guys. Truly. I support every movie he has anything to do with.

(Unless Pauly Shore is in it)

(And Pauly Shore hasn’t been in a Gary Sinise movie yet)

hawkdriver on March 31, 2009 at 4:09 PM

It is hoped that it will show here in MN. That said, I can do no less than purchase it when it is available. My son is in Kirkuk and I’m Vietnam….. what a great story this is from what I’ve been able to see. It is a story such as this , that puts the Michael Moore and Oliver Stone screeds to shame.

MNDavenotPC on March 31, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I’ve seen it advertised in the San Antonio paper. I thought it was either another “Iraq = Vietnam” snorefest out of Hollywood or something about WWII.

I’ll buy the DVD when it comes out, can’t get to movies these days.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I am hoping and trying to get the film to the PHX AZ area. any one out there request this movie. I want to see it….

hawkman on March 31, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Awww… That sucks. Nowhere near me either. I guess Ill have to wait till I can get it on DVD. Too bad it wont get a wide release and show in some theatres near me. Id be the only one in my family to see it, but I am used to watching movies by myself since the girls dont go for “war” films.

bigskinny on March 31, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Checked out the trailer. I’m disappointed they’re not showing it anywhere near NY or NJ. What gives?

RepubChica on March 31, 2009 at 4:24 PM

that puts the Michael Moore and Oliver Stone screeds to shame.

MNDavenotPC on March 31, 2009 at 4:10 P

And Brian F*cking DePalma!

hawkdriver on March 31, 2009 at 4:29 PM

The website for the movie is decent at listing all the locations it is showing at. For people who want to see it, check out the website regularly, but also pay attention to other sources (it is playing in some locations not yet listed).

davenp35 on March 31, 2009 at 4:29 PM

this will not win an Oscar

jp on March 31, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I heard the interview with this brother, it was awesome. I can’t wait to see the movie. I have one son and one daughter in the USMC one in Camp LeJuene and one in Pendelton, Its fun to get together and listen to their banter and carrying on.

MooreMom on March 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM

God Bless our military and their families!

TDBURN on March 31, 2009 at 5:10 PM

this will not win an Oscar

jp on March 31, 2009 at 4:32 PM

That’s what I call high praise.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 31, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I will see this film multiple times.

Yakko77 on March 31, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Please let us know if it comes anywhere near here Ed. (Minn)

oakpack on March 31, 2009 at 5:57 PM

awesome, there are good people in the world.

kirkill on March 31, 2009 at 6:00 PM

For those of you with iTunes, John Ondrasik of the band “Five for Fighting” wrote a really nice single for the movie called “Brothers in Arms.” He’s a rare Hollywood type who understands and appreciates the military, so show him some love if you like the song. It’s only a buck.

World B. Free on March 31, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Movie looks great! Of course, I’ll have to wait for it come out on DVD. I live near San Francisco sooo…..I doubt it will ever play here.
I would like to thank you to all those who serve!

JeffVader on March 31, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Ed,

Thanks for posting this.

Everyone else,

YOU CAN GET THIS FILM TO A THEATRE NEAR YOU! Go to http://www.brothersatwarmovie.com/#/Showtimes and mobilize a task force.

This film was financed by the director, Jake Rademacher, and money raised from regular folks from his hometown and other friends. This is not a Hollywood movie. There is no advertising budget. Gary Sinise came on board as Executive Producer and has graciously used his notoriety to get on some talk shows and generate publicity in the free press. The real power behind this film will be generated by folks like yourselves.

I hope you’ll do what you can to help this outstanding film reach a nationwide audience.

Semper fi,
MZ

MikeZero on March 31, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Thank God for the United States Military!
they are awesome. I just hope after four years of you-know-who, we still have a country that resembles the America I love.

sweet92169 on March 31, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I saw this movie when it came to Ft. Stewart. It is definately worth you time and money. As a family member of someone who has been deployed twice I can say it is very acurate.

canoechick2001 on March 31, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Time to ground…..a countries needs MUST parallel yours in order to embrace selfless sacrifice. Obama’s America fails to recognize this simple truth that any true warrior demands.

dmann on March 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM

To see Brothers at War, just click the embedded link.

Or if you’re wary of clicking on things copy & paste the below address into the address bar

SgtSVJones on April 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM