Matthews: Palin like a “mail-order bride”

posted at 8:48 am on March 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Remember when Hillary Clinton supporters accused Chris Matthews and MS-NBC of sexism in their coverage of the Democratic primaries, as the network became the Barack Obama Channel in 2007? Matthews has apparently decided to pick an easier target — one a lot less likely to get defended by PUMAs after the election. In an exchange with Howard Fineman last night, Matthews (not seen) says that Sarah Palin was like a mail-order bride for John McCain during the general election:

MATTHEWS: What happened between those two?

FINEMAN: Uh, it was a lost weekend that didn’t go beyond the weekend. [LAUGHTER]

MATTHEWS: He thought she was something special [crosstalk] but she wasn’t the genuine article.

FINEMAN: You know what? He had no idea, with all due respect to the Senator, he had no idea what he was getting. They came into the convention, and I was covering it closely at the time –

MATTHEWS: Was she a mail order bride? [CROSSTALK]

FINEMAN: Practically! He really didn’t know who she was!

Matthews (and Fineman, too) actually take two shots at sexual analogies here. At first, they discuss Palin as a one-night stand from a bar, and then they switch to the mail-order bride meme. If Matthews had talked about Hillary in such terms … well, actually, he did, which is why Hillary’s supporters objected so much during the campaign. It’s not exactly a classy moment here, either, considering Palin’s status as Governor of Alaska. Just what does a woman have to do to get Matthews to stop thinking of her as a sex object, anyway? Marry him?

No one will be surprised to see Matthews do this, but having Newsweek’s Howard Fineman busting a gut and joining in the fun may be a bit of a surprise. I thought Fineman had a little more class than this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I channel surf, because I like to know what the jerks are up to. Can’t make it through full segments of Matthews, Olbermann or Maddow, but at least I get a feel for their bias and malicious targeting of normal people.

joedoe on March 31, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Oh come out of the closet already Chris Matthews. Everbody knows you want to sleep with Barry.

BillaryMcBush on March 31, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Don’t you wonder why none of these shills drawn into Matthews’ sexist web have the courage to say that they are not going to go there? It would be simple enough to do, and would speak volumes about their character.(but they’d never be invited back I guess)

jeanie on March 31, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Chrissy is Obama’s male order bride.

fogw on March 31, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I’d like to put this turd on a rail, along with Bowel Movement (I mean Bill Maher), tarred and feathered, and ride them out of town, legs tingling all the way. Actually, if we find a way to get this done, we’re going to need a lot of rails, tar, feathers. The sleeping giant is awakening! Let’s Roll!

HomeoftheBrave on March 31, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I know I should ignore these two ass wipes, but wow they really know which buttons to push. I think it keeps going back to McCain. Just refuse to answer the question, or just tell the truth. Sarah is a conservative, and will be disliked by the leftist’s, and by progressive Republican’s. This is a given, and something us Sarah fan’s are going to have to face. Well I say we stand strong in our conservative value’s, and never lose sight of what we are fighting to preserve. I do not plan on it being my fault when one day we all wake up and do not recognize our own Country.

chief on March 31, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Didn’t waste time watching this excrement. Nothing “thrill up my leg” says is worth hearing and when I looked at the still shot, my first thought was that Howard Fineman of Newsweek had been checked into a North Carolina nursing home. Presumably, by relatives.

oldleprechaun on March 31, 2009 at 11:08 AM

BillaryMcBush

Sleeping is not the problem. It’s the whole leg-tingly homo-erotic fantasy thing he has going on that makes him creepy and disgusting.

SKYFOX on March 31, 2009 at 11:11 AM

BillaryMcBush

SKYFOX on March 31, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Yes, and unlike a mail-order bride, Chris is just a whore that turns tricks for leg tingles.

Upstater85 on March 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM

MSNBC are pigs. Remember that video of Chrissy staring into that woman’s cleavage? I cant remember the woman, but it just showed he has no class whatsoever.

becki51758 on March 31, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I believe that was Erin Burnett

Hilts on March 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I was really hoping that he would run for the senate. Just think of all the ammo he has given the opposition over the years. You think he might have a few skeletons in his closet?

Vince on March 31, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Honestly, who even watches MSNBC anymore? Their ratings are in the toilet, just like CNN.

Funny, I remember a libtard telling me right after the election that FoxNews & Rush would now go into oblivion. The whole country had moved left, there was no market for a right-of-center broadcast on TV or Radio.

Instead, Rush & FoxNews have record ratings. MSNBC, CNN and liberal talk radio has miniscule ratings and sinking lower each and every day….

Norwegian on March 31, 2009 at 11:44 AM

All that suppressed Liberal sexism has to bubble to the top every once in a while. I wonder who he’s saving up the racism for.

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Did any of these morons make fun of the fact that Al Gore didn’t endorse Liebermann and Kerry didn’t endorse Edwards? Somehow I doubt it.

Speedwagon82 on March 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I’m sorry… is this, like, a TV show, on a network somewhere?

greggriffith on March 31, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Sexism. Chris Matthews. Yuck.

So where is The Women’s Media Center on this one? I mean they were all over Bill O’Reilly in regards to Helen Thomas – and this is far worse – sexism at it’s finest. Ohhhhh, wait, that’s right, they only defend liberal women – oh I forgot that.

Well anyways, I don’t know about you all, but I am fed up with this double standard between liberal women and conservative women. I will be dropping The Women’s Media Center an email, asking where they stand on this and pointing out their liberal bias. Anyone gonna join me?

repalincan on March 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Here’s the link: http://www.womensmediacenter.com/sexism_sells.html

Let’s see if they’ll do anything about it!

repalincan on March 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM

They guy who says Obama gave him an orgasm cannot stop his derision of a governor.

Irony would Jack Cafferty hitting and running after wiping out Matthews.

drjohn on March 31, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I thought Fineman had a little more class than this.

Apparently you don’t read your other postings on HotAir:

Oh my: Dem strategists set to give Palin the Limbaugh treatment

Fineman is just following orders, of course Matthews is one of the spear heads.

right2bright on March 31, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Here’s the link: http://www.womensmediacenter.com/sexism_sells.html

Let’s see if they’ll do anything about it!

repalincan on March 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM

They still have Beck at CNN

KBird on March 31, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Did Chrissy give an address?

I’ll take one just like Sarah!

bw222 on March 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Okay, I’ve got it. Move Beck to 10pm, then move Gretta to MSNBC replacing Matthews. Then move Matthews to the Black Hole of Calcutta.

radjah shelduck on March 31, 2009 at 9:05 AM

With the “Great American Panel” and guests like Rev. & Mrs. Joel Osteen, I’d rather fox keep Greta and send Hannity packing.

bw222 on March 31, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Hard to believe he still has a wife. Maybe MSNBC has a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.

hillbilly on March 31, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Hmm … I’m torn. I want to give credit to Matthews for coming up with an analogy that was actually on point (at least for what they were discussing) and funny, even if slightly un-PC. Then again, feminazi hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me as libtards everywhere attempt to turn Palin into a sex object to delegitimize her, or something.

One thing I admired about Palin as a candidate was her ability to be “old-school” feminine without compromising her presence as a potential leader. Perhaps the libtard women were just a teeny bit jealous that their libtard beta-male men seemed to be drooling over “The Thrilla from Wasilla”?

cackcon on March 31, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Jeez I work for NBC and won’t watch this pervert. I don’t understand why everyone is so surprised by Howard just joining in He’s been sniffin up to “Softball” Matthews for years. Sarah has more class in one of her pinkies than either of these pieces of excrement put together.

denniscb on March 31, 2009 at 5:44 PM

From an article on another blog, the Dems think they won the Limbaugh-Obama dust up. They are continuing on with it along with trashing The Good Guv from Alaska. I don’t see any benefit to them for keeping on this meme. All it has done is raise Rush’s audience. If they keep bashing Palin, then as with the drinking game sending another check to Sarah’s PAC seems appropriate.

BetseyRoss on March 31, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I SEE YOU STILL HAVE THE TINGLE IN YOUR LEG FOR OBAMA.THE PRESS HAS TURNED IN TO HARLOTS FOR THERE NEW GOD LENIN OR OBAMA DOESN’T MATTER HOW YOU SAY IT COMES OUT THE SAME

wade underhile on March 31, 2009 at 6:52 PM

MATTHEWS: Was she a mail order bride?

Oh be easy on the lad, for he was once a mail order bride. Delivered C.O.D. to the post office, but sadly, no one came….

unwashed minion on March 31, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Matthews is like dog shit on a shoe… No matter how good you clean it off, the shoe stinks for days.

RalphyBoy on March 31, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Be fruitful and multiply, Matthews.*

* paraphrased to avert spam filter

sulla on April 1, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Todd Palin should whoop both of their @sses.

SCOOPTHIScarlos on April 1, 2009 at 4:08 AM