Video: The excruciating “Hitchens confronts Mos Def about Al Qaeda” clip

posted at 4:18 pm on March 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Spellbinding and agonizing for many reasons, foremost among them the fact that Maher’s tepid disapproval seems to be the only thing keeping the moronic audience from siding with this willful imbecile against two of the world’s leading public intellectuals. Ace calls this an “education,” but it isn’t; surely nothing was learned here. I don’t think Def’s exactly a Truther, either. He uses the same feeble “just asking questions” defense that Truthers do, but they at least come armed with talking points about thermite and the melting temperature of steel. His shtick is really more of a “question authority” pose taken to its limits of paranoia and nihilism: He doesn’t trust the government or the media, and he doesn’t trust Hitchens or Rushdie, and he doesn’t trust the subtitles on Bin Laden’s videos, because “villains” aren’t always so villainous when you look closer. Which, evidently, he’s unwilling to do himself.

Consider this yet another reason to like Hitchens, though. Is there anyone else on the chat-show circuit who would have kept after Def as persistently as he does? You keep waiting for him to relent in the name of “cultural differences,” but he never does. No sacred cows for Hitch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Maybe the YMCA should change its name to “relatively cheap public gym for everyone now.” Or, maybe that’d be stupid.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

That would never do. It would confuse so many NAMBLA guys who troll there looking for young boys.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM

What’s the REAL point you’re trying to make?

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM

You are an ignorant sack of shit. Just ask the UNCF.

csdeven on March 30, 2009 at 6:43 PM

DeathToCapitalistPigs on March 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM

My goodness, somebody’s cranky. It’s a lot of work, defending those who can’t defend themselves, isn’t it?

Jim Treacher on March 30, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Mos Def is one of the more brilliant artistic minds of our time.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

So you’re willing to admit that he has a higher IQ than you?

Buddahpundit on March 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Mercy4Me on March 30, 2009 at 5:01

Dude, Knock it off!

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Must scan entire thread before posting…must….

Hey Allah, how about you get rid of capitulus too? The white trash stuff is at least as bad as Mercy4Me.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Death, you are such a lazy selective outrage hypocrite.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Hack, I fully apologize for that comment. I know that hits close to home. Forgive me?

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM

(Why don’t you post some of his brilliant lyrics for me to explicate?)

Disturb the Universe on March 30, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Is there anyway you’d actually look at Mos’s music objectively?

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM

There seems to be a misconception here that being impolite and being a racist is the same thing. Using “white trash” or “negro” can be impolite, but a person has to believe that a person’s race defines their abilities at birth in order to be a racist. Being white does not make me trash unless you are a racist, but I could be white trash anyway. Being negro does make you negro it just means black African genetics. As stated earlier it was always equivalent to “Caucasian”, until pc logic made accuracy racist for some people but not all, which is itself racist. Now, talk to the hand.

bagoh20 on March 30, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Mos Def is one of the more brilliant artistic minds of our time.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I checked out some of his lyrics, since you ignored my request. Sorry, I’m not impressed.

Disturb the Universe on March 30, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Is there anyway you’d actually look at Mos’s music objectively?

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Yes. I just did.

Disturb the Universe on March 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM

You stink of donkey shit.

csdeven on March 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

bagoh20 on March 30, 2009 at 6:48 PM

But if you can’t call somebody a racist, how else are you going to shut them up?

Jim Treacher on March 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Death, you are such a lazy selective outrage hypocrite.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Um is your memory so short that you missed me saying calling people white trash in also racist after YOU asked me the question. Dude, who are you fooling here, you are over the top as usual. You’ve actually reached a new level, you accused me of doing something after you’d already raised the issue with me. It’s almost spooky.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM

And, as usual with you, it just went to creepy. NAMBLA? Work out your issues man.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM

So, you’re not going to apologize to me then I take it?

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM

No sacred cows for Hitch.

This sums up Hitch. I disagree with him on Iraq. However, I know he’s honest and sincere. No agenda whatsoever. I don’t know if he’s the world’s leading intellectual. What percentage of the English speaking world knows his name? Still, he’s one of the best that I know.

radiofreevillage on March 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM

What could have been an interesting debate is ruined by the Mos Def, who’s an idiot.

He asks the same fu**ing question over and over. It is answered over and over. Then asks it again. What a moron. Maher does a horrible job of reigning him in.

Hitchens wants to punch his face in, and rightfully so. But he shows delightful restraint in the presence of a know nothing clown.

Dave Rywall on March 30, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Drywall’s best post ever! I totally agree!

Disturb the Universe on March 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM

YOu notice how that sack of shit DTMH has change the subject to that slimebag Mos Def? Music is subjective and facts are facts.

Guess which world the donkey shit eating moonbats like getalife and DTMH live in? The same world that Def lives in. They think articulating insane ideas give those ideas credibility. You two loons need psychological treatment immediately.

csdeven on March 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM

So, you’re not going to apologize to me then I take it?

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Awww, so sweet, but no.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

What a load of BS. There are so many talented people..hes not one of them. He sounds like a stupid dufus. He didnt know the difference between Al queda and the Taliban, for God’s sakes.

becki51758 on March 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM

csdeven on March 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Have you noticed you’re hilariously nutty? I dare anyone to play the csdeven says donkey shit or shit eater or moonbat drinking game. Everyone will be toasted by 8 eastern.

And no I don’t think the topic is about Mos Def’s music (which is awesome). I think it’s about the comical unwillingness for the biggest MSM skeptics in the world to recognize they have more in common with Mos than they realize that’s all.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

So if I say “black” in spanish, would I be considered racist?

heatherrc77 on March 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I notice you haven’t yet had one critical comment for the person who said “only in America could a dumb Negro get rich.” Instead you seem intent on hating on people who think that’s racist. Why?

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM

I have to go professor. But I’m really starting to think you’re not very intelligent. You said no one said anything about M4M. I showed you I did. Other people did too. Try to stay up with the thread.

Creepy over the top is you Hack. You go to a thread about 4 fallen cop heros and try to turn it into a thread about another cop trying to do his job. Please. All kidding aside about where you pick up your date, (and remember you brought up the YMCA) you are an insufferable bore and your constant double standard for life is just incredible. You’re a marvel to see. Please, do let us know when you finish your book. I’m sure it would be an interesting read until it ended up boring me to tears like you did here again tonight.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

You should join in. The alcohol will dissolve the donkey shit that is encrusted between your teeth.

csdeven on March 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM

So if I say “black” in spanish, would I be considered racist?

heatherrc77 on March 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

That idiot shitbag is trying to change the subject. His ignorance is on display and we intend to make him eat the donkey shit he is spewing.

csdeven on March 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

drop out of public education ya end up like mos, drop outta harvard start micro-soft.

JohnBissell on March 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I agree with your idea of “impolite” vs. “racist” in a sense, but only in that I think that not all “racisms” are equal. And I think that’s the biggest misunderstanding that happens on this topic. When someone uses a word like Negro the way Mercy4Me did it’s pretty racist, but even THAT isn’t as racist as hanging someone by the noose or anything like that. Maybe our language is too imprecise for that, but it’s at least racially charged to call someone a dumb negro.

As for “racist for some, not racist for others.” I really don’t understand this position and maybe someone can explain it. The UNCF and NAACP were started in an era before the issue of “naming” became an issue. And while I know that white people will probably never get this, but it actually matters to people if they have the right to name themselves rather than being called by a name that is associated with a negative history. Would italians be OK if I just started calling them wops and say “what? That’s what everyone called Italians back then, even some italians. It’s cool right?” Of course it’s not cool and we all know why.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Nice try chump.

We all get to use the words “negro” and “colored”, or nobody does.

Can’t have it both ways.

omnipotent on March 30, 2009 at 7:08 PM

csdeven on March 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

And I’m wasted, thanks!

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 7:08 PM

We all get to use the words “negro” and “colored”, or nobody does.

Do you realize how incredibly petty and stupid you look right now. We’re talking about charitable organisations that are dedicated to the advancement of black people that have been operating for so long their names actually reflect their long history. You’re just dumb.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 7:09 PM

We all get to use the words “negro” and “colored”, or nobody does.

What is your attraction to these words? Do they give you a thrill? The obsession is wierd.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Mos-Def sounds like he’s lost Mos-Teef.

Dumb ass.

omnipotent on March 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM

what’s involved in the “advancement of black people”? I run a charity and we don’t check the mellanin level at the door, you mister, are a racist.

JohnBissell on March 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM

bagoh20 on March 30, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Hurrah, and well-said. There has to be room for people to be impolite to each other.

Fortunata on March 30, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Not that we needed it, but that was more documented proof that the divisions of society stem not from economic poverty, or genetic poverty, or phsical poverty, but from cultural poverty.

Most Definitely among the dumbest, most solipsistic, self-absorbed, vulgar, oxygen sucking, epicanthic dopes produced by public education. The pride of ACORN.

But even dumber than that guy was Hithens and Rushdie over-indulging this poor slob as if he might actually comprehend anything other than his own naval. And that’s simply due to political correctness, a treasure in which we’re not soon to be impoverished.

Western_Civ on March 30, 2009 at 7:15 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM

And here is the donkey shit eater thinking that articulating idiocy means it’s legitimate.

csdeven on March 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Western_Civ on March 30, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I don’t think Hitchens and Rushdie get to choose who the other guests are, and actually Hitchens’ exquisite condescension probably went over Mr. Definitely’s fine artistic head. Even Allahpundit is breathless at his refusal to “to relent in the name of “cultural differences” like a good little PC liberal. He just didn’t have to use any racial terms to demonstrate his cultural superiority, that’s all.

Fortunata on March 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I’m also just like everybody else here. When I watched this clip, the first thing that I wondered was how come I can’t say negro?

I say, let’s make it our platform. In Obama’s America you can’t even say negro anymore! We can finally show them. Perhaps even double digits.

radiofreevillage on March 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Mos Def was the Mos DumbF@ck on the panel. And that’s sayin’ something on a panel that included Maher!

Teddy on March 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Again…I can’t believe they put one of these mf’s in the whitehouse.

LtE126 on March 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Fortunata on March 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Fortunata, I see your point, but the constant watering down of discourse just for the sake of safe compromise is killing the thrust of any real progress when it comes to letting panting morons know just where principle stands. What did you think when Bill Maher not-so-jokingly raised the spectacle that Def might win the debate simply by beating up Hitchens? In that environment, little ground is to be gained. And Rushdie was cowardly for ceding to a relativist argument. Why waste prolonged exquisite condenscension if you’re not going to back it up with intestinal fortitude. In the end, Hitchens should have declared that there’s no point offering a history lesson on Taliban doctrine to someone too closed-minded to even accept that good people have the moral imperative to judge those with bad (evil, actually) intentions.

Western_Civ on March 30, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Finally got to watch the clip. Did Allah put in all the sub text? I am not sure that young man is healthy, he was sure wearing a lot of clothes under what I have always heard were hot lights for television. I can’t believe Mr. Hitches patience.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2009 at 7:44 PM

It does when ya add hundreds of gallons of LOX to the mix.
What do people riding in airplanes think their breathing at 40K feet?
LOX, AKA Liquid Oxygen

DSchoen on March 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM

What??? The only bottled oxygen carried on a commercial airplane is for the cockpit crew to use in an emergency such as loss of cabin pressure.
Passengers do not breath liquid oxygen.

AZ_Mike on March 30, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Has this thread turned into a debate about who is dumber, DTMH or Mos Def?

Tough choice.

aikidoka on March 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Western_Civ on March 30, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Sure, and I’ve seen Hitchens be breathtakingly rude and abusive (in his attitude) to other people on TV. I suppose there is some cultural cringing going on, but it’s a liberal show. I wonder if he’d treat a black student of his who made as many illiterate and inarticulate “points” as MD with the same restraint. But I doubt even affirmative action programs could get that moron into college.

Fortunata on March 30, 2009 at 7:55 PM

DeathToMedia – I can usually see your perspective, but you’re so off-base about Mos Def, it’s sad. You’ve bought the urban myth about this guy because he went to Juilliard, which doesn’t for intelligence, just talent.

Does he have an ear for music? Yeah. Is he stoned out of his mind in this clip? Without a doubt. Why the hell else are his eyes so purposely shaded. And that is what Hitchens was hoping to expose and Rushdie was mortified of happening. Maher knew it which is why he jumped in, but Mos comes from the Chappelle school of ignorant babble.

Mos questions everything? Really? Then why doesn’t he question how he could belong to such a violent religion. Why doesn’t he question how useless the Black Panther movement was for black America? No. Mos questions white people, he just didn’t want to say that or he’ll lose some possible acting gigs.

I’m a huge Hitch guy like AP, so I take great joy in watching the master expose one the exalted minds of hippp-hoppp for the no-nothing bong-hitter he is.

And for those of you who don’t like Hitch…realize you never see him on Fox because he eviscerates hosts. He beat Hannity down around two years ago to the point where Sean was left with only sarcastic kiddie responses, and was never on again. Beck has already said he’ll never have him on, which is about Hitch’s evisceration of Mormonism. It’s unfortunate because outside of religion, they share a lot of common ground

And for those that think they Hitch but really only know from his anti-religion screeds, realize there’s been no bigger proponent for Pro-Life than he. I’ve read and seen him crush pro-choice arguments because he doesn’t approach it from a religious bent.

He backed Obama and soon enough, he’ll mop the floor with him on foreign policy.

budfox on March 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Hitch is prolife?

aikidoka on March 30, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Heh. Mos Def is on House tonight playing a completely paralyzed patient.

kmcguire on March 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Almighty Moderators,
Can you get Hitch onto HA TV, do an email Q and A thread or something? He’s got some loyal fans here. Or does he ask for real moolah? Turning out the pockets of your readership would probably net much fluff, 3 dead beetles and $3.27c. Plus a used condom, don’t ask whose.

Fortunata on March 30, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I finally got to watch the clip. For starters, having this Def gentleman ‘debate’ with Hitchens is like putting a pussy cat into a cage with a pit bull. Def is ignorant, not unlike many, many Americans – after all, Obama got elected. Def knew he was looking pitifully bad in the discussion so he tries to remedy it by trying to have ‘thought’ and it seems to have become much worse. I am not a huge Hitchens fan but I thought he showed much patience and discipline during that discussion.

carbon_footprint on March 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Mos Def is an idiot. What he was doing on a panel with Hitchens and Rushdie I’ll never understand.

4shoes on March 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM

1) “Christian” is not deemed to be an offensive term.
2) You take yourself entirely too seriously.

29Victor on March 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I’m amused about Mos Def’s skepticism about what the gov’t tells him but he gladly participated in a recording that peddled nonsense about how we gave Hussein chemical weapons or Bin Laden was given billions by us & worked for the CIA. Yeah, he’s some skeptic. And he repeated the Assata Shakur talking points for good measure.

h0mi on March 30, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Aikidoika – Yeah. Openly Pro-Life. He has said it’s connected to his anti-death penalty stance, but in a few interviews you can read that the birth of his children had a profound effect on him.

budfox on March 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Yes you are free to continue to be a total douche in this thread, congrats!

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Just this thread? Treacher is probably the biggest troll on HA. Nothing but lame one-liners.

*waits for lame one-liner*

crr6 on March 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Dayum.

hillbillyjim on March 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Again…I can’t believe they put one of these mf’s in the whitehouse.

LtE126 on March 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Woops missed this gem….

More awesomely awesome color-blindness from conservatives.

crr6 on March 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

crr6 @ 9:36PM
You would prefer that we say that we say he is “clean and articulate”?

Vince on March 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Mos Def the new American intellect of “his” community boldly empowered in the age of Obama….

dmann on March 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM

crr6 on March 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I really didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. You should have said something earlier. Let’s be friends.

Jim Treacher on March 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM

budfox on March 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM

You have some links? All I could find was that he wasn’t thrilled with abortion but he still believed it was a choice.

aikidoka on March 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Jim Treacher on March 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Like clockwork!

crr6 on March 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM

crr6 on March 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Well then, let’s talk this out. What is it that’s bothering you?

Jim Treacher on March 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM

It does when ya add hundreds of gallons of LOX to the mix.
What do people riding in airplanes think their breathing at 40K feet?
LOX, AKA Liquid Oxygen

DSchoen on March 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Passengers do not breath liquid oxygen.

AZ_Mike on March 30, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Most commercial airliners use oxygen generators, instead of bottled, or liquefied oxygen because they are lighter, and virtual maintenance free. Every seat get an emergency face mask.
under normal circumstances aircraft pressurization is achieved through compressing outside air. Usually in turbine powered airliners compressed air is tapped from in front of the combustion chamber of one or more of the engines.

darktood on March 30, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Does anyone know where I can send Hitchen’s a bottle of his favorite booze and carton of cigarettes? The man is just one of kind that we could use a lot more of in this time in history.

SC.Charlie on March 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Apparently crr6 doesn’t want to talk about it. Well, I hope there are no hard feelings.

Jim Treacher on March 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Well thankfully we don’t have to worry about Bin Laden bankrupting America now.

amend2 on March 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM

“I’m not a lazy nigga” — Mos Def

Maybe not, buy you are certainly a stubborn and ignorant nigga. I was willing to ignore your horribly slurred speech and give you the benefit of the doubt after hearing you rattle off a few names and locations as though you understood the topic at hand early in this segment. Then you lost me…

The next time you ‘ax’ a question why don’t you stop flapping your lips long enough to listen to the answer? Don’t be propogating negative stereotypes like talking to prevent others from proving you wrong.

cannonball on March 30, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Jim Treacher on March 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM

heh… I can see your anguish in your post.

Hog Wild on March 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM

crr6 on March 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Not something I would say but I think the list of why a person would call the president a mf’s could be quite extensive as opposed to the one and only thing you think it could mean.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2009 at 12:40 AM

What bothers me is the crowd starts applauding after Def Mos has rambled himself into a corner and defends himself by saying “I don’t believe everything the media tells me” and he starts getting wild applause.

How hard do you have to be in this guys corner to start applauding something that lame as a comeback?

The IQ and attitude of the audience is the truly scary thing. The guy is hardly alone in his extreme left-wing lunacy.

Conan on March 31, 2009 at 1:32 AM

I love Hitchens and his take no prisoners attitude, also his willingness to be impolite to anyone and doesn’t let things slide. I have trouble hiding my anger when I get like that-but Hitchens keeps it on an even keel.

That Mos guy is obviously an imbecile and he was appropriately throttled for it-but I really didn’t like his racist inference that he was set up by the white folks there. I hope I didn’t mis-hear that, but that’s the impression I got. Pulling the race card when he can’t argue intelligently like Hitchens.

It was also nice to hear from Rushdie and Hitchens that they understand what this war is about, global Islamic supremacism. We need this message to hit the MSM so more people clue in and realize we’re at war with Islam.

thinkagain on March 31, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Mos Def’s defense? Be outraged at others words, sandbag, stonewall, and shout down.

This is the key to sounding superior.

Black Adam on March 31, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Comedy Gold!

UndertheBridge on March 31, 2009 at 3:16 AM

Most Deaf is more like it.

PJ Emeritus on March 31, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Good interview, though I don’t watch Bill Maher anymore. I do, however, have a great respect for Chris Hitchens.

Mos Def exemplifies the counterpoint that one is entitled to one’s own opinion, but not entitled to one’s own facts. He, and other numb-nuts like him, always point out in debates that they are entitled to their own opinion; that they have a right to their own opinion, while parroting the argument that they think for themselves–as if that means something!

It’s the height of stupidity, and like Hitchens, I recoil when I hear it from people who have contempt for real knowledge, education, and true independence of thought.

The fallacy is that he ‘thinks for himself,’ when he does not think at all. He and others like him express their contempt for scholarly pursuits every day, and they exploit young blacks by using popular culture to create contempt for scholars and academics. Then, when confronted with their own ignorance, they fall back on their victimology: Everyone is racist!

Mos Def [the name alone makes me gag] asks a question [but the agenda isn't to ask a question at all because he refuses to stop talking to hear an answer] then he rejects the answer, and further insults the respondents by saying he doesn’t believe them.

The obvious point–which Hitchens never made, unfortunately–is this: “Why did you ask a question of us, if you don’t want to hear our answer and tell us that you don’t believe what we say anyway?”

Mos Def’s intent was attention seeking, not information, and unfortunately for Mos Def, he got the attention he sought, and looked stupid.

mountainaires on March 31, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Did anyone mention that Mos Def is a Muslim?

Debbie Schlussel on March 31, 2009 at 11:24 AM

mountainaires on March 31, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Very well said.

I’ve been on numerous message boards/sites and by far Hotair has the smartest and wittiest bunch overall.

Did anyone mention that Mos Def is a Muslim?

Debbie Schlussel on March 31, 2009 at 11:24 AM

That explains a lot, I didn’t know who he was till this interview. If I was Hitchens I would’ve pointed out his obvious bias.

Nonetheless Def couldn’t argue his way out of a paper bag. Someone should inform him that blabbering your inanities louder, talking over your opponents and not letting them get a word edgewise is not the way to win a debate or even have a discussion about some very serious issues.

thinkagain on March 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM

When does the Andrea Tantaros bikini calendar come out?

76United on March 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM

What’s a Mos Def?

rightwingprof on March 31, 2009 at 1:35 PM

@ Mercy4Me

“Only in America could a dumb ass negro be rich.”

Lol…you should add “and be president”…

Jabba The Cat on March 31, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Just watched the clip (late again as usual :). If only more would speak out and behave as he does! Hitchens is a national treasure. I shudder to think where we’ll be if more don’t follow his example and challenge losers like Mos Def and the way they try to frame issues:

“I’m just asking questions about fill-in-the-blank. After all, there’s a lot about fill-in-the-blank we don’t know.”

RD on March 31, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Did anyone mention that Mos Def is a Muslim?

Debbie Schlussel on March 31, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Que?? Seriously?

If so, I wonder why he didn’t mention it.

RD on March 31, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I’m still going to watch his movies. Dude got skillz.

I apologize in advance.

loganthompson on March 31, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Mos Def is one of the more brilliant artistic minds of our time. DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

That’s like saying little Jimmy is the tallest midget, or Obama’s step-brother is the richest man in the village. All three may be true, but it isn’t exactly saying very much.

xblade on March 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Is there anyway you’d actually look at Mos’s music objectively?

DeathToMediaHacks on March 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Is there any way you’d actually look at Moses’ music objectively?

I split seas, b*tch! Get on yo’ knees, b*tch!

The amount of sense the above question/lyrics make to you should be equal to the amount of sense your arguments have made to me. This has been me illustrating ridiculousness by being ridiculous. Kthxbye.

loganthompson on March 31, 2009 at 3:29 PM

What’s a Mos Def?

rightwingprof on March 31, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Something with the intellegence of deaf moss….

Scrappy on March 31, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I love how he asked a question then said, I will not believe your answer no matter what it is.

sonofdy on March 31, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Summary of this video: Now you know how Obama got elected.

Texas Rainmaker on March 31, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Hitchens is an abusive militant atheist who wants to force his lack of belief on to other people, and Def is just going along with the “BUSH DID WTC Z0MG” crap because its cool.

I don’t like either of them.

Ryan Gandy on April 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Stick to acting and rapping, Mos.

SCOOPTHIScarlos on April 1, 2009 at 4:49 AM

Anybody else notice how patently stupid Cornel West sounds? Prison-industrial complex, Jena Six? His “argument” at 3:07 boils down to “if someone’s terrorizing you and they’re obsessed with someone terrorizing them, then they’re not credible.” First, it presupposes that people are being terrorized by the state and, second, that being afraid of an action while committing that action makes you unbelievable. On the first count, that’s standard academic thinking, but on the second count, literally everyone involved in security, from thief to guard, is “unbelievable” (whatever that means).

You got to hand it to him, he can deliver bullshit and bad logic with such plausibility that nobody questions it. Look at Mos Def nodding along to his gibberish, as if he’s some preacher.

GreatGatsby on April 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM