Quotes of the day

posted at 10:35 pm on March 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Even as astute a conservative thinker as Mark Steyn has been swept up in the tide that thinks Obama is a ‘transformative’ radical. But look again at his approach to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. In both cases, as noted, he is carrying out the Bush policies – the same that he once joined his fellow Democrats in condemning. And that should be reassuring to anyone concerned about where he is heading as commander-in-chief.

In other words, while it’s reasonable to be unhappy with a Democratic administration and even concerned because the Democrats are now a socialist party in the European sense, we are not witnessing the coming of the anti-Christ. A good strategy for political conflicts is to understand your opponent first – not to underestimate him, but not to overestimate him either.”

***
“The answer is obvious. The right, for the most part, embraces basic Judeo-Christian ideals and would not promote nor defend the propaganda techniques that were perfected in godless communist and socialist regimes. The current political and media environment crafted by supposedly idealistic Mr. Obama resembles Hugo Chavez’s Venezuela more than John F. Kennedy’s America.

The Huffington Post, Daily Kos and other left-leaning sites benefit from the right’s belief that there are rules and decorum in political debate and civic engagement. Of course, every now and then, a curious right-winger will go in and engage in discussion at a left-wing site, but rarely under purely disingenuous and mass coordinated means. “

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I resent being called a troll but happy I am first on your list.

I am a proud Independent trying to get in the big tent.

Why won’t you let me in?

I have noticed many cons posting at the Huffington Post.

The libs will not let you in their tent either.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Have I been living under a rock?

yellow_railroad on March 30, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Don’t be silly. Obama has only been President for two months and hasn’t made conditions that bad yet. Wait another year and then leave plenty of room.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:46 PM

The libs will not let you in their tent either.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM

but you get the VIP room…

look GetAClue your fella’s “daily tracking poll” is nosediving at 2-4% a day 3 days of every 5….

“hope”

The donk tent is a dunce cap….the newsies shot their wad they can only cover for Ogabe for so long or will be as relevant as the fishwrap…

sven10077 on March 30, 2009 at 11:48 PM

I don’t think you guys understand what Andrew Brietbart was talking about. He was talking about Dems pretending to be Republicans. Half the people you guys are rounding up here are openly liberal.

Lance Murdock on March 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM

That’s OK. Let’s still ignore the sumbitches. They have plenty of other sites where they can post. Now, if one of them has anything substantive to say (extremely unlikely) we can listen. Their snide comments add nothing to Hotair. Good list by the way Katy. All of them on your list bug the crap out of me.

bravecowboy on March 30, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Getalife! Are you still here, doing your mental masturbation again? Well, obviously you are. Your President needs you in Afghanistan, and maybe later in Pakistan, so why aren’t you on your way to BCT? Did you lose those phone numbers for the Army and Marine requiters that I gave you the other day? Don’t let your President down.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Remember kids………

…….. no feeding, I know it’s hard, but think of it as expelling a tape worm.

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I had to check the name on this article several times…
I agree that it’s foolish to put one man in the role the anti-Christ when we know that a nobody like Obama can’t get to the The White House on his own steam. But, I also know that I don’t have to make Obama into Satan to know that he, his handlers and minions are destroying this country.
I understand that David has a point, but he’s ignoring a bigger one. Does he really think we can survive 4-8 years of this pure insanity where everything is owned and run by the grabby hands government? I’ll have to ask him…

Christine on March 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM

After about three or four months of this, I noticed no one was responding to my posts any more. I later discovered that I was “stealth banned”. In other words, I thought my posts were visible to the ThinkProgress community, but only I could see them. I’ll be kind and call those moonbats clever.

toliver on March 30, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I think something similar happens here at Hot Air, but in reverse: the trolls can’t read their own posts, but the rest of us can. That would explain why some of them come off as such idiots.

Exactly, they can call themselves whatever they want all they intend to do is disrupt, derail or otherwise create some diversion in the thread. It would be different if they had any thoughtful arguments but most often it is taunting and nothing else.

msmveritas on March 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Spirited discussion with the more feisty liberals who grace our site is a pleasure, and illuminating for all who read the exchanges. Arguing with a spam-generating bot script like getalife is pointless… better to just use them as golf tees to hit your own line drives, then ignore them. I’ve read some brilliant, and wickedly funny, ripostes to the trolls and mobys that infest Hot Air, but wasting time in “debates” with an asp.net auto-mailer is as futile as responding to friendly letters from Nigerian dictators looking for a bank account to stash their money in.

Doctor Zero on March 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Democrats are used to working with disparate groups which have vastly different priorities/morals to achieve a common goal.

Think about it. They manage to get union members to act civilly to pro-illegal immigration activists and gay-rights groups to act nice to Black church leaders.

They manage to put their disagreements aside for the “greater good.” Is that a good thing? I don’t know. But it is effective. Republicans don’t have nearly as much practice at this.

29Victor on March 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I would agree. He tries to stay on topic

runner on March 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Arguing with a spam-generating bot script like getalife is pointless

Doctor Zero on March 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I picture him as some mad scientist’s Turning Test gone horribly, horribly wrong.

29Victor on March 30, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Ted Torgerson on March 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM

sethstorm it is…

MOST IGNORED LIST… HAVE YOU SEEN THESE PEOPLE..?

I didn’t put ernesto on the list as he does not exibit trollism.

getalife
DTMH
SnarkVader
poptech aka poopdeck aka pooptart
strangelet
chekote
eh
benny shaker
athensboy
capitulus
Barkolounger
Proud Rino
sethstorm

katy on March 30, 2009 at 11:54 PM

[ ... ] we are not witnessing the coming of the anti-Christ.

LOL. The Precedent is far too dumb to be the anti-Christ.

progressoverpeace on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Republicans don’t have nearly as much practice at this.

29Victor on March 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM

we did, we got power….people like Juan Queeg and the GangBangers of 14 decided “we are the real power” and started cutting deals with the donks on “power sharing”….

I didn’t notice the donks “sharing power” when they flipped Jumping Jim did you?

sven10077 on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I don’t mind DeathToMediaHacks. He’s usually wrong but most of the time he tries to support his positions with facts.

I take it you have never been on the receiving end of a patented ‘Hack’s 1,000 Word Dissertation’?

Bishop on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Doctor Zero on March 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM

In the Headlines thread on Horowitz I went into his archived columns. This one reads the way you’d expect Horowitz to read. Look at the way he describes Obama in this column (starting about halfway down):

Candidate of the Left

He doesn’t miss a thing about Obama’s past. Now compare with this one which is quite different:

How Conservatives Should Celebrate the Inauguration

INC on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM

No, you aren’t looking to be included anywhere. You constantly misrepresent the stands of people who post here. You will take the disparagement of a bus load of ACORN volunteers picketing the private homes of executives of AIG as an endorsement of AIG. You will take the concern of the tax code being used as a weapon against a small number of citizens as the approval of bonuses paid instead of the original repudiation of TARP. To say the you are disingenuous would be the understatement of the month.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Hmmm…maybe David has listened to too many far-out profs; he thinks that Barry Whosane sounds centrist. I guess it’s all relative…depending on who, when and where he is giving his speech.

Christine on March 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM

runner on March 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM
DTMH to me seems like the better of the trolls. It’s hard to tell if she was serious but she said that if Obama keeps up the disappointment, She might not vote for him 2012.

FontanaConservative on March 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM

29Victor on March 30, 2009 at 11:54 PM

That’s the exact description! I like the way you think.

getalife never has any clue what it’s saying. Frankly, getalife fails my Turing Test.

progressoverpeace on March 7, 2009 at 5:33 PM

progressoverpeace on March 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I have been good for two weeks, failed tonight. Sorry.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Doctor Zero on March 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM

But I just gave up my bank information in return for a promise for $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 Zimbabwe dollars?

:O)

athensboy
capitulus
Barkolounger
Proud Rino
sethstorm

katy on March 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I see many here have getalife derangement syndrome combined with Obama derangement syndrome is harmful to your mental health.

getalife on March 31, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Breitbart is right but it’s pretty old news around here. People with ethics will not stoop to the same kind of lying deception and alynski tactics of the left. It’s like Jesus said, “in relation to their own contemporaries, the men of this age are shrewder than the sons of Light.” He was speaking of an unjust steward who deceptively gave away his master’s money to get favor for himself. Hmmm… who does that sound like?

Christian Conservative on March 31, 2009 at 12:01 AM

I bet Castro did not seem so bad either way back when, after all he denied being a communist many a time (at the beginning of his career..).

runner on March 31, 2009 at 12:01 AM

INC on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

David is coming across a little bi-polar

neuquenguy on March 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

katy on March 30, 2009 at 11:58 PM

DTMH can actually single handedly take over a thread.

HornetSting on March 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

LOL. The Precedent is far too dumb to be the anti-Christ.

progressoverpeace on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

True, but his teleprompter may not be.

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Can you take poopdeck off the list too? I enjoy ROFLTOFLSNOFLJOFLROFLMAOTSETUNGOFL quite a bit.

Anyone who can roll on the floor laughing his ass off for hours and still post coherently is a-ok in my book.

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM

neuquenguy on March 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Any ideas you have as to the difference, I’d welcome. The column before the election sounds like the Horowitz I’ve read. katy and I were discussing it in the Headlines.

INC on March 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM

INC on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

INC posted this on the other Horowitz thread. She’s right. Read them. There is something about Horowitz that has changed.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Yeah, unfortunately he seems to prefer the Palin threads…

Upstater85 on March 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM

This is for “you know who”………….

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2009 at 12:05 AM

There is hope. The tysons corner stuff with Levin, the teaparties, the 55 day honeymoon are all signs.

so in that sense Horowitz is right, that conservatives must focus on the things that matters.

The left is very disciplined. They have crafted a vision of America, built coalitions through co-optation and agitprop. They have both sold their wares and intimidated others into not selling theirs.

Breitbart is right too. The left employs false flags, hacktivism, astroturfing, trolls, and whatever else they can to disrupt and misdirect conservative thought.

They are very serious people.

r keller on March 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM

HornetSting on March 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Really? I guess what AP’s QOTD is true, “…not to underestimate him, but not to overestimate him either.”

By the way, I have not seen her for awhile

FontanaConservative on March 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM

getalife on March 31, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Glad you brought that up, getalife. In addition to serving your President in Afghanistan, and maybe Pakistan, the military will give you a complete mental checkup. If they find you to be paranoid, you may not even have to searve, but at least you will be able to tell your President that you tried your best.

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM

HornetSting on March 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

AP and Ed probably love that. Some people here obviously like to engage with him. When I see him I ditch the thread for that reason…. but you know… it’s not all about me…/

That’s why I left him on the list with a strike. He’s on notice… lol

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Christian Conservative on March 31, 2009 at 12:01 AM

I don’t know about that. This is a very serious difference.

If the left wins this, as Lenin succeeded, say, then the US conservatives are going to be a people truly without a nation. The naive liberals always had the rest of the West that leaned more to their way of viewing things, and the insane liberals always had Central and South America that were in line with their asinine thoughts about government and society, but the conservatives, of all stripes, have nowhere but America.

progressoverpeace on March 31, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Uh oh…something tells me that getaclue once demanded that those who supported Bush should immediately enlist and fight in the wars.

Is someone going to save me the time of perusing the archives?

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Rules and decorum are fine when the groups engaged in political debate agree on basic premises. Otherwise, they are just a waste of time. When Caesar crossed the Rubicon, it was a huge breach of “rules and decorum”, yet it was necessary to make his political point.

venividivici on March 31, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Now that made me ROLMAOSHOHDOLOSLOLRMNO!!!!!!

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Doctor Zero on March 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Precisely! I think what we’re talking about is simply the strategic global view of this administration. In many areas the administration made the decision to look relatively mainstream and to follow the path of least resistance. This holds true in terms of the war and largely foreign policy. This is also evidenced by some of the nominations and appointments. However in those areas where they are ideologically invested this administration is charting a very radical course.

That’s not to say that foreign policy may not ultimately lurch to the left but simply due to the current crisis, the domestic agenda is taking up the entire windscreen at the moment.

moxie_neanderthal on March 31, 2009 at 12:09 AM

They are very serious people.

r keller on March 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM

The right used to be too. That was when they disagreed with Clinton. So in one way O could be great for the movement. O is the anti-con. Perhaps the right will start re-uniting…

Upstater85 on March 31, 2009 at 12:10 AM

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM

……. imagine you are here.

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2009 at 12:11 AM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Good list, katy. Yeah DTMH is ON NOTICE. heh.

It is no fun to come to, especially a palin thread, and have to sift through the trolls.

HornetSting on March 31, 2009 at 12:11 AM

True, but his teleprompter may not be.

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM

His sub-par reading skills take care of that. I especially liked the constant head movement, today. It was crazy. And he was trying so hard to look as if he wasn’t reading a script. I was laughing half the time.

progressoverpeace on March 31, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM

He’s good entertainment because he says nothing of substance and managed to post something twice in the same thread and then laugh at himself. Again. For the umpteenth time. I asked him if he was drunk. It was like 1 AM. :)

NathanG on March 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM

INC on March 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM

IMO, I think there is some effort underway to try and guide conservatives and set a tone of civility that was always so lacking in the left under Bush. Whether this is coordinated or not, I have no idea.

msmveritas on March 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM

[Democrats] manage to get union members to act civilly to pro-illegal immigration activists and gay-rights groups to act nice to Black church leaders.
29Victor on March 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Exactly. And what do all those groups have in common?

Absolutely nothing at all

…except for the psychotically ginned-up belief that Republicans are all evil monsters who want to cause unnecessary war, pollute the environment and enslave the earth.

That’s why the Democrats have such a big tent. And I’m real sick and tired of jackasses like Horowitz constantly telling me that Republicans need to shrink ours down as much as possible.

logis on March 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM

The left is very disciplined

r keller on March 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Is it really discipline or unified mass rage directed and focused at anything rightous and free.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Now that made me ROLMAOSHOHDOLOSLOLRMNO!!!!!!
katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Be careful what you write. I have been analyzing poopdeck’s ROFL’izing and have come to the conclusion that he is actually communicating in an ingenious code.

The only question now: WHO is he communicating with?

*cue spooky music*

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

…Juan Queeg…

sven10077 on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Good one.

Hey. I didn’t say it was a good thing. In fact, now looking back at my comment I’m not sure what the point was. But I think that Mr. Breitbart go me thinking about the differences in how Liberals and Conservatives think re: political discourse.

We DO try to play fair and stick to the rules. We also are used to arguing over issues that aren’t the topic at hand. We need to remember those things, and I’m sure others, as we grow the Conservative movement online.

I have another difference that has struck me before. Many of the Leftist sites are financed by rich donors, as such the sites are able to offer a more professional experience with a better look and feel and more and wider content than most conservative sites.

I have only visited HuffPo a few times, but the place looks to me more like a portal than simply a political site. It’s a one-stop-shop for all your Internet needs, at least from the little I saw.

How can Conservatives compete with this? Rich Conservative donors? Conservatives don’t really seem to work that way lately. A pay-for-membership site? Maybe (that could keep away the trolls too).

I dunno. But right now the Left is winning online. We have to find our voice. We have to figure out how we think and how we are most effective and translate that into an online presence.

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I am not sure that cutting and pasting a bunch of stats, that you know he has saved for immediate use, is coherent posting. But maybe I am being to harsh. Do you think the ROFLMAO is cut and paste?

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

The man does not take kindly to criticism.

yellow_railroad on March 31, 2009 at 12:15 AM

AP, a quote is not 4 paragraphs long and by 2 different people. Instead of quote of the day you should call it confusion of the day.

Ricky on March 31, 2009 at 12:15 AM

The left is very disciplined

r keller on March 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM

That’s just an illusion. Chaos is easier to create than order.

progressoverpeace on March 31, 2009 at 12:15 AM

29Victor on March 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM

With all due respect, civility has a price and when the Democrats are airdropping cash to constituents is it really that hard to imagine why they can play nice together in the sandbox? however, put them on half rations for a few months and it won’t be long before they’re eating their own.

moxie_neanderthal on March 31, 2009 at 12:16 AM

here’s a juicy little quote from Chait at TNR…note the word privilege. I think there is something to be said for letting your opponents implode, rather than demonizing them

At a time when the country desperately needs a coherent response to the array of challenges it faces, the congressional arm of the Democratic Party remains mired in fecklessness, parochialism, and privilege. Obama has made mistakes, as did his predecessors. Yet the constant recurrence of legislative squabbling and drift suggests a deeper problem than any characterological or tactical failures by these presidents: a congressional party that is congenitally unable to govern.

r keller on March 31, 2009 at 12:16 AM

True, but his teleprompter may not be.

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM

People always forget about the False Prophet, the mouthpiece of the Antichrist.

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Wait…are you saying that poopdeck isn’t actually rolling on the floor laughing his ass off? So he only says that for dramatic effect?

My opinion of the guy just tapered off considerably.

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:18 AM

poopdeck may roll on the floor, but he’s not laughing his ass off, bishop.

HornetSting on March 31, 2009 at 12:19 AM

progressoverpeace: well, yes they love chaos, but Campaign for America’s Future and the Nation magazine are very serious.

In fact, I read there’s going to be a new media blitz on supporting Obama’s “vision” paid for by 100 Lefty groups.

They do have $$$$

r keller on March 31, 2009 at 12:19 AM

HornetSting on March 31, 2009 at 12:19 AM
LOL

FontanaConservative on March 31, 2009 at 12:20 AM

*cue spooky music*

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

I think I’ve found the info you’re looking for

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Exactly. And what do all those groups have in common?

Absolutely nothing at all

logis on March 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.
- Confucius

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 12:21 AM

msmveritas on March 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Thanks. I do think he’s gone beyond wanting civility. He seems to have lost his clarity regarding who Obama is.

INC on March 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM

moxie_neanderthal on March 31, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I disagree. The Left in America has managed to bind together these disparate groups with (at least) three things:

1) Their hatred of the Right (as someone astutely pointed out above).
2) Their knowledge that they are all using one another, and being used by one another, for their own political gain, to achieve whatever goal they have accepted as their raison d’être.
3) Their belief in the State as the answer to their problems.

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Exactly. And what do all those groups have in common?

Absolutely nothing at all

logis on March 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM

The belief that it is OK to make “the rich” pay for whatever they can’t achieve on their own. That belief has united thieves in all ages of history.

venividivici on March 31, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Sorry. One time he wrote on a thread about a bunch of geek stuff. Although I had no idea what he was talking about I could see from the other posters that he was being very helpful. That was the first and last time that I saw a post on anything other than a Palin thread. That’s doesn’t appear to be healthy to me. Hhhhmmmm, maybe he is rolling on the floor laughing his ass off. I’ll take back that part but not the cut and paste theory.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2009 at 12:24 AM

That’s just an illusion. Chaos is easier to create than order.

progressoverpeace on March 31, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Chaos always wins because it’s better organized.

Murphy9 on March 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM

r keller on March 31, 2009 at 12:16 AM

And these people are seeing this …now??

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Doctor Zero on March 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM

So, I’m not th only one who thinks getalife is a bot. It’s behavior reminds me of a refinement of the Serdar Argic Turkeybot back when Usenet was the world’s blog. As a bit of background: Serdar Argic was the product of a Turkish propagandist who was in the US as a grad student. This bot was a combination of human and bot — the human occasionally interacted with the Usenet community, most likely to tune the bot. The bot searched usenet for the word “Turkey”, “Anatolia”, or “genocide”. It would then post long historical revisionism accusing Armenians of a genocide of Turks during the early 1900′s (truth was the other way around). The bot would follow cross-postings and began infecting Usenet groups that had nothing to do with history or sociology (the original infected groups). It was particularly amusing during Thanksgiving. Once people figured out it was a bot, it was quite interesting to taunt the bot — you could post absolute gibberish as long as it contained words like “Serdar” or “Turkey” and you would get the long diatribe with a bit of personalized introduction, such as “What’s up [username]? But you failed to mention the genocide by the Armenians …”

Not sure that getalife can be manipulated that way — it looks more like a scheduled job that scans HA for new articles, posts a few talking points, then goes idle. There may, like the Serdar-bot, be a human who does a little interaction periodically to maintain the Turing illusion.

AZfederalist on March 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Since trolls have become part of this thread, you should see nice343′s view of how radio works in the Rush leaving NYC headline. We really need better educated trolls.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2009 at 12:27 AM

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Good points and largely taken.

But I must take issue with point numba 2. I don’t know that they have accepted as their raison d’être. But I would say they have largely accepted their purpose that justifies their existence, function or purpose.

moxie_neanderthal on March 31, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Exactly why I didn’t jump in…

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:28 AM

AZfederalist on March 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Dave?

What are you doing, Dave?

Don’t do that, Dave.

Dave?

Limerick on March 31, 2009 at 12:28 AM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:28 AM

It was bad and once nice figured he/she was not fairing very well, POOF, disappear.

Time to hit the hay. Goodnight everyone, sweet dreams.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2009 at 12:33 AM

AZfederalist on March 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

One thing’s for sure: Notalife is untouched by human hands.

Jim Treacher on March 31, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Dave?

What are you doing, Dave?

Don’t do that, Dave.

Dave?

Limerick on March 31, 2009 at 12:28 AM

:O)

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2009 at 12:33 AM

…It was particularly amusing during Thanksgiving….
AZfederalist on March 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

That made me laugh… a lot

FontanaConservative on March 31, 2009 at 12:34 AM

night C.M.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:36 AM

INC on March 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Good discussion on the headline thread (I have never gotten into the headlines’ discussions before).
This particular Horowitz article certainly appears at odds with Davids’s own understanding of Obama’s radicalism. I don’t know how to account for that except to speculate that he might be engaging in some sort of mental lets-cool-down-and-think-for-a-minute moment. I occasionally pinch myself to ensure I am not just dreaming this radical change that is happening in our country. As someone who tries to think objectively I also find myself playing devil’s advocate with my own mind to try to ensure I a not blowing everything out of proportion and blindly subscribing to apocalyptic conspiracy theories. I think this is because these days the reality is too amazing to believe.
Perhaps something along these lines is going on with David.

neuquenguy on March 31, 2009 at 12:36 AM

I especially liked the constant head movement, today. It was crazy.

progressoverpeace on March 31, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Yeah, that was hilarious, in a terrifyingly freaky-deaky sort of way. I think the Big O was trying to step it up to three ‘prompters.

Needs work. Heh.

hillbillyjim on March 31, 2009 at 12:37 AM

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

moxie_neanderthal on March 31, 2009 at 12:16 AM

Here is what bothers me a great deal. I have friends who are liberal and we met discussing something entirely different than politics. When the election came around, they were stunned I was a conservative. I think they genuinely believed they didn’t know any. Problem was, how did I fit into the mold they cast of the crazy rightwinger? I know it gave them a bit of pause anyway.

My next door neighbors were practically DNC headquarters. Over the years we learned to talk to each other as humans and with respect. We joke, we get competitive but more importantly we discuss things openly. The internet is a powerful tool in politics but it is almost equally divisive and destructive. I truly resent how conservatives are painted by the media only to have those opinions parroted at HuffPo or Daily KOS. There is almost no opportunity by playing nice to counter those images because the only real interest is in lobbing bombs at nameless faceless enemies.

The left now wonders how we can’t unite to support the president. How in the world can that happen when their minions are sent out daily to paint us as loons. The White House engages in daily operations to create more negative impressions. I knew Barack Obama was going to be a leftist so his misrepresentations don’t shock or gall me. I really hate his lie about post partisanship though. I find this need to continue this so early in his presidency more telling than anything. He has no respect for his office. He has no respect for the people he is supposed to lead.

msmveritas on March 31, 2009 at 12:38 AM

moxie_neanderthal on March 31, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Point taken.

Also, Leftists are more used to acting/thinking as part of a group and of subjugating themselves to the group. Conservatives value their individuality more.

Leftists are used to being “anti” things, conservatives “for” things.

Conservatives find their happiness and meaning in God and family, Liberals in causes.

Conservatives like having a goal, having a purpose for whatever they are doing. Liberals often find meaning “in the journey” (e.g.: they don’t really care if the war ends, they just want something to protest about).

Liberals like change for the sake of change. Conservatives like things to stay the same unless there is a compelling reason for them to change.

All of these are very broad statements, but I believe largely true.

Liberals were almost custom built for Internet activism. Conservatives need to craft places and methods that suit us.

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Dave?

What are you doing, Dave?

Don’t do that, Dave.

Dave?

Limerick on March 31, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Sorry……….

……. try this, think of “you know who – life.”

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Chaos always wins because it’s better organized.

Murphy9 on March 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Chaos always wins because it has entropy on its side.

/or the other way around

AZfederalist on March 31, 2009 at 12:43 AM

neuquenguy on March 31, 2009 at 12:36 AM

If he was doing a cool down piece, it would seem to me that he would stay on his own message of his pre election perspective.
He understands there may be a need for cool down but denying Obama’s a radical is just weird. Saying that Obama’s Iraq and Afgan. strategy is on par with Bush ?
Regardless… he will get some pushback from this piece I’m sure. It will be interesting to see what he does with it.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:44 AM

neuquenguy on March 31, 2009 at 12:36 AM

I like many Headlines threads because sometimes there’s more discussion there than below.

I, too, have found myself hardly believing what’s happening at the moment. If that’s what’s going on with Horowitz, I hope he wake up soon.

On a related note to Obama’s policies, there’s a new economics blog:

I don’t know if it was mentioned over the weekend or not. There are very few comments over there so far, but Dick Armey, Jake Tapper and Scott Ott have commented. (I hope he’s read Breitbart, because it looks interesting and I’d love to continue to read comments).

I saw this blog mentioned at NRO. Hennessey was a staffer for the Senate Budget Committee in the 90′s, worked for Lott when he was Maj. Leader and then worked for Bush.

INC on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Liberals were almost custom built for Internet activism because they generally don’t have jobs. Conservatives need to craft places and methods that suit us while trying to squeeze in raising families and paying for the liberals to play on the internet during wokring hours.

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:42 AM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

My nemisis at work (the fine lady who filed a race complaint against me for being insensitive to her views of Barry & The Crew) has been on a crusade to make sure the lunch room has voter registration forms available on the counter.

I fill one out every week, and drop it in the box, just to see that “I’ll bury you one day” look from across the room.

Limerick on March 31, 2009 at 12:47 AM

msmveritas on March 31, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Yes. That’s possible and great, but you developed a personal relationship with them. I have had a number of great relationships with liberals, but it took work and patience and a desire to get along despite differences. They were usually surprised that I was a Conservative Christian and could manage to get along with them (of course the only thing they knew about Conservative Christians was the lies they saw on T.V.).

On the other hand, I’ve had coworkers that I came to have friendships with who would talk to me like I was Satan’s eviler Klansman brother whenever anything the least bit political came up.

It will be almost impossible to create such one-on-one personal relationships online at this time, so I don’t see much hope there. But I’m sure someone who really wanted to could do it.

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Limerick on March 31, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Keep up the good work. Activism is our new name!

INC- Good link. I’ll keep that in my favs.

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:51 AM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Heh. Sorry, that’s not really true, and if we think like that it’s only to our own detriment. In fact I’m pretty sure that Internet activism often is their job.

Actually, what Liberals (often) don’t have is church, or some other meaningful thing that takes up their time and energy.

Oh…another difference: Conservatives normally want to “live and let live” while Liberals take great joy in telling others how to live their lives.

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:54 AM

ernesto is definitely the only commenter with opposing views at Hot Air that does not deserve troll status. The others are quite appropriate.

carbon_footprint on March 31, 2009 at 12:54 AM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:44 AM

If it’s not a “cool down” piece, maybe Horowitz has supreme faith in the electorate’s tendency to respond to violent shifts in the political center by leaning the other way. He might be serenely confident that Obama won’t be “transformative” because he’s too inept, and will limp out of the 2010 elections a lame duck. I wouldn’t suggest putting all my eggs in that basket. Those political “pendulum swings” tend to be driven by current events, and the media that slobbered over Obama in 2008 is far from abandoning him. If Obama pushes through something totally economy-destroying like cap and trade, the major newspapers will suddenly be full of stories about how six dollar gasoline has been a tremendous boon to the bicycle industry, peppered with observations about how much healthier Americans are, now that they need to walk everywhere. My vision of the future is as imperfect as anyone else’s, but I can’t shake the feeling that 2008 was the last “normal” election we’ll see for a while. Whatever 2010 and 2012 will bring, it won’t be boring.

Or maybe Horowitz just thinks the slide into fascism is unstoppable, and he wants to save himself a seat at the table by writing some “reasonable” articles he can show to his new masters. You’ll know if I find myself agreeing with his analysis, when I retire my old screen name and begin posting under my new alias, Christopher Noonan Parker Petain.

Doctor Zero on March 31, 2009 at 12:56 AM

katy on March 31, 2009 at 12:44 AM
INC on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion and the pointers. I’ll have to check the Hennessey blog tomorrow. Now I must hit the sack.
goodnight

neuquenguy on March 31, 2009 at 12:56 AM

29Victor on March 31, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Well I agree personal relationships are nearly impossible in this environment and especially on the internet. This is why I find this continued campaign mode so particularly offensive. It galls me when we are cast as hateful honestly I can’t believe the sheer unadulterated hate that comes from the left.

msmveritas on March 31, 2009 at 1:00 AM

But…there is no need to paint you as loons…….you are loons.
More empirical data.
Would that be Mark Steyn, famous goatblogger?
That guy is deep in throes of senile dementia.
There is no big conspiracy to make you look like loons…..you ARE loons.

strangelet on March 31, 2009 at 1:02 AM