Murtha: “If I’m corrupt, it’s because I take care of my district”

posted at 4:52 pm on March 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

The “if” here operates in roughly the same way as it did in the title of that O.J. book, I gather.

Whatever today’s Quote of the Day ends up being, it won’t top this:

No one has tallied the amount Mr. Murtha has steered into his district, which sprawls well beyond the Conemaugh Valley and reaches the West Virginia border. Conservative estimates are in the billions of dollars, most of it lobbied from federal agencies or won through open bidding or, more controversially, steered home directly during his 35-year career…

“If I’m corrupt, it’s because I take care of my district,” Mr. Murtha said. “My job as a member of Congress is to make sure that we take care of what we see is necessary. Not the bureaucrats who are unelected over there in whatever White House, whether it’s Republican or Democrat. Those bureaucrats would like to control everything. Every president would like to have all the power and not have Congress change anything. But we’re closest to the people.”…

He doubts earmarks will ever vanish, because once he leaves the District of Columbia, the cry stops.

“That’s only in Washington,” he said of the complaints. “That’s not out in the field. Out in the field people appreciate what has happened. They see the advantage to being able to help the district.

He’s completely right on that latter point, I think. Since Hot Air was founded, Grandpa Earmark’s smeared the Haditha Marines, called his constituents racist and redneck, and drawn complaints from outfits like CREW for corruption. And in spite of it all, he’s twice won reelection going away, all thanks to his expertise at directing pork back home in exchange for votes and campaign contributions. I hope Ed’s right about this House investigation possibly taking him down, because there ain’t no way no chance no how a challenger’s ever going to beat him. Exit question: If there really is something to the charges against him — and no less a partisan than Kos fears that there may be — wouldn’t Obama and Pelosi lean on him to retire and go away before the scandal explodes on the Hill? The sooner the better, too, lest there be 2010 repercussions.

Comments

accusing Marines of murder as part of a partisan powerplay is *not* ‘taking care of $hitsville, PA’ Happy Jack…

sven10077 on March 30, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Members of Congress should be
compelled to wear uniforms
just like NASCAR drivers so we could identify
their corporate sponsors.

In Murtha’s case, a straight jacket would do quite nicely.

Keemo on March 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM

No R after his name?

No story.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Didn’t Blago say the same thing before he was Impeached?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

The idiots in his district who vote for Murtha deserve him. Hang your heads in shame.

ddrintn on March 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Yup – and John Gotti was just taking care of his family…

Thrizzle Thrazzle Thruzzle Throne… time for this one to go home!

jrlingreenbay on March 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM

That picture of a spoiled two-year old you use for Murtha should be added to the AP/HA drinking game; I know the thought of Murtha constantly being re-elected makes me want to drink, and I’m not even in the same country, let alone district.

Frozen Tex on March 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM

If I’m corrupt, it’s because I take care of my district

Is statements like this that reinforce in my mind we should have a representative for every 100,000 citizens (and I will accept lower numbers).

WashJeff on March 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM

The guy is getting old.

tarpon on March 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM

People who elect liberals will elect anyone…so long as they’re liberal. Or something like that.

1968eric on March 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Jus’ taken care a’ bidness.

Count to 10 on March 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

“I had to rob and kill that store owner because I’m just taking care of my family”…

katy on March 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Also depends on what the definition of “is” is.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Didn’t Blago say the same thing before he was Impeached?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Hummm, haven’t heard much about Blago of late.

Wonder what deal was made to keep him from spilling the beans on the Messiah and crew.

husker3000 on March 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM

You know, I pay attention to politics and I’m not aware of anything that my Congressman or Senator has done to “take care of his district” other than their voting records. What that means to me is that Murtha has taken care of his investors/donors and the idiots who keep re-electing him don’t have a clue of what he’s done to them or this country.

I guess being corrupt is OK as long as you’re a Democrat and you’re taking care of your investors.

orlandocajun on March 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I can’t believe he’s lasted as long as he has.

You owe Kimber an apology, Representative Murtha.

Otis B on March 30, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Typical Liberal excuse-factory:

If I’m (insert illegal or immoral activity here), it’s because I’m taking care of (select one: My family, My kids, My Planet, My Neighbors )

jrlingreenbay on March 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Here’s the problem. His “people” will vote him in because he steals from us and gives to them. It’s not that difficult to understand. Your crook is really not a crook.

afotia on March 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Why is Randy “Duke” Cunningham in jail again………….?

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

“If I’m corrupt, it’s because I take care of my district,” Mr. Murtha said

He’s corrupt and the people of his district are corrupt. Can’t we just tow the whole kit and kabutle out to sea?

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

He’s learned well how to cover his tracks after Abscam

Kini on March 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

husker3000 on March 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Book deal. He needs to keep his beans until his book is ready.

WashJeff on March 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM

The constituency wants what it wants and anyone that gives them that by any method wins the vote. Honesty, integrity, statesmanship are not what they are cracked up to be. We get the culture we deserve. Hello Harry, Hello Nancy, Hello Maxine, Hello Durban, Hello Levin, Hello , Hello Dodd, Hello Feinstein, Hello Boxer, Hello Hilliary, Hello Durbin, Hello Harkin, Hello Leahy, Hello to more and more.

rsl775 on March 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Which was worse, Caligula’s horse in the senate or this horse’s ass?

Sefton on March 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Why is Randy “Duke” Cunningham in jail again………….?

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

because laws, like the media can see the (d) or (r) by a name ….

sven10077 on March 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM

He’s corrupt and the people of his district are corrupt…

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I agree. No matter what my Rep was bringing to my district I could not in good conscience vote for a guy like Murtha.

INC on March 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I hope not. Better for the country if they let the stink drift over the whole group for as long as possible. I really don’t want to see Pelosi come out of this looking like a house cleaner but I suspect John M. has knowledge of a few closeted skeletons which should keep her at bay.

a capella on March 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM

OT:

Launch of The non-profit Huffington Post Investigative Fund.

This nonprofit Fund will produce a wide-range of investigative journalism created by both staff reporters and freelance writers. We’ll start with a budget of $1.75 million — and continue to raise funds and expand the project as we move forward.

This is the non-profit model for the left wing smear machine which will be used by newspapers in order to stay afloat.

faraway on March 30, 2009 at 5:13 PM

He is using the latest pro earmark argument.

It’s legal.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 5:16 PM

What does “taking care of my district” mean? I don’t think my Rep. thinks that is his job. Murtha does. These Democrats sound like the Mob looking out for their territories. It’s time to rip into these corrupt Democraps and shine the light of truth on them.

BetseyRoss on March 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Did you support the troops and their Commander in Chief on Election Day in 2004?

Del Dolemonte on March 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Which part of I never ever want my country to fail do you not understand?

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Which part of I never ever want my country to fail do you not understand?

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM

heh…”sure”….

sven10077 on March 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM

If the only living ex-Marine is corrupt its because he doesn’t know any better. He draws his Congresstitute salary on top of his egregious and dishonorable retirement pay from the honorable Marine Corps. He charges Marines with wanton murder but refuses to repudiate his specious claims when all but one (the designated scapegoat) is declared INNOCENT.

We used to have a nick-name for people like this waste of oxygen: ONE-WAY or Bravo Foxtrot.

SeniorD on March 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

He is using the latest pro earmark argument.

It’s legal.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 5:16 PM

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced {and becoming ever more so].
- Frank Zappa

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Those racists are lucky to have him!

capitulus on March 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM

He is using the latest pro earmark argument.

It’s legal.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Funneling government money to friends for kickbacks is not “legal”.

William Amos on March 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM

“Those bureaucrats would like to control everything. Every president would like to have all the power and not have Congress change anything. But we’re closest to the people.”

Seems to me that there’s a Texas congressman who makes this identical excuse when it comes to earmarks.

notropis on March 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM

capitulus on March 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM

If he represents racists and rednecks, does that make him a racist and a redneck, too? Maybe we should scratch that “D” after his name (curiously absent) and replace it with an “R” since that is how you libs like to define conservatives.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Everyone lay off getalife. He enjoys his serfdom.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Which part of I never ever want my country to fail do you not understand?

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Well now, the part where your President needs you in Afghanistan, and maybe latter in Pakistan, and yet instead of going down to the Army or Marine requiter and joining up to help your President, you insist on hanging around here so much doing some kind of mental masturbation.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Is statements like this that reinforce in my mind we should have a representative for every 100,000 citizens a limit of two terms for representatives (and I will accept lower numbers).

There.

WashJeff on March 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM

uncivilized on March 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I hope like heck he goes down in flames. Its bad enough Pa has Spector, but Murtha too? ewwwww

I do not live in his district, btw. Rep Shuster is my guy

becki51758 on March 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM

The Chris Dodd defense, I was made to write the legislation for the A.I.G. Bonuses, the unelected Treasury made a U.S. Senator write in the bonuses for A.I.G. execs. Murtha my constituents made me corrupt….Am I the only one here who sees that these men will always claim deniability? Even when they are caught er ah uh red handed.

Dr Evil on March 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM

“If I’m corrupt, it’s because I take care of my district am breathing,” Mr. Murtha said.

FIFY

tcn on March 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I think the Democratic leadership would rather he retire than be disgraced. It will make it easier to keep the seat.

Terrye on March 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Or the Mos Def defense either way it stunningly apparent that Murtha’s defense is to cop to corruption as something he does out of his own moral peril…..down is up and up is down Newspeak.

When was the last time he had a check up from the neck up?

Dr Evil on March 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Now, that was funny.

Splunge on March 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Murtha, Reid, Kennedy, Stevens, Frank, etc. were/are the masters of how to bring home the pork, thus their multiple, consecutive election wins.

As long as Americans care more about building projects being funded where they live than the country at large, we’re going to be inundated with cheap politicians like these guys from either party far into the future.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 30, 2009 at 5:59 PM

“You want me taking that money. You need me taking that money. You should take the pork I provide and thank me!”

Iblis on March 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Murtha is just another proof that Pelousy needs to go, but this is what America wanted.

DannoJyd on March 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Gee – I thought Congress was supposed to take care of the country – not just their little corner of the pie. silly me. But I also agree that many of them keep getting elected because they “bring home the bacon.” What other excuse is there for some of them?

katiejane on March 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Keemo on March 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM

+10!!!

Tom

marinetbryant on March 30, 2009 at 6:30 PM

The sooner the better, too, lest there be 2010 repercussions.

I hope there aren’t any 2010 repercussions. Let the Democrats ride this train wreck until 2012.

Theworldisnotenough on March 30, 2009 at 7:00 PM

The people of his district have to be one of the following, or a combination thereof because they keep electing him:

1. Stoopid
2. Oblivious to the news
3. Everything he’s called them
4. Unwilling to accept reality
5. Unable to read.

Hey. If they perpetually tolerate this mess, they deserve what they get.

And for balance, I rip Sen. Cornyn and Hutchison on a regular basis (and I did NOT vote for Cornyn the last election cycle for his inconsistent voting). I do the same to my congressional rep.

madmonkphotog on March 30, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Is that what it takes to take care of one’s district? corruption?

No wonder Blago has a story to tell.

Queen0fCups on March 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM

You’d have to pry those earmarks out of Murtha’s cold dead hands. So he blames his constituents for his corruption, typical libtard, the buck and responsibility never rests upon them always on someone else.

eaglewingz08 on March 30, 2009 at 8:30 PM

“If I’m corrupt, it’s because I take care of my district,”

He is corrupt, arrogant and despicable. I don’t give a fat rats rump about how his district loves him. Tar & feathers is too good. I think burning at the stake is more appropriate.

There will come a time soon when examples must be made.

old trooper2 on March 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

sven10077 on March 30, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Doesn’t seem to bother the fine citizens of $hitsville, either.

Midas on March 30, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I think Murtha doth protest too much.

GarandFan on March 30, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Which was worse, Caligula’s horse in the senate or this horse’s ass?

Sefton on March 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Caligula’s horse voted nae on all tax increases, and spending bills. I have to go with this horses rear.

darktood on March 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM

He needs to be drugged and taken to the “home” for the disturbed for the rest of his life.

kens on March 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM