Gore: Lighting candles while cursing the light

posted at 10:54 am on March 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The proverb instructs us that we do better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.  But what if one is making a killing at praising the darkness?  Would it not be better for that person to extinguish a single candle instead?  Al Gore didn’t do either on Curse the Light Earth Hour, in yet another show of environmental hypocrisy:

Do as I say, not as I do? Seems like former Vice-President Al Gore may be embracing that motto as evidenced Saturday night with the environmentalist’s failure to turn off the lights of his Nashville home for “Earth Hour.”

Drew Johnson, president of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research —the same organization that also found Gore’s home consumes 20 times more electricity than the average household — told Yeas & Nays that Gore’s Belle Meade-section mansion did not go dark during the global campaign’s designated hour between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

Johnson did admit that although it wasn’t as bright as can be,  Gore did have on “a dozen or so” floodlights on his trees, a light shining on his address number, and a noticeable “bluish glow” from his powered-on televisions and computers coming from inside his house.

“It was very noticeable compared to the fact that even the streetlights on his street were off for the hour,” Johnson said. He also added how ironic it was that Nashville was one of the “official” U.S. cities of “Earth Day.”

I wonder whether the other Earth Hour celebrants are now cringing in fear that Mother Gaia did not get fully appeased by their sacrifice this weekend.  The cult of nature worship lost one of its chief priests!  Quick, find an SUV for a burnt offering!

It doesn’t appear that Gore even attempted to cut back.  Why does Gore need floodlights for his trees?  I mean, for any day, let alone during Earth Hour?  A man who makes sure his trees get enough light should hardly scold people on energy usage for such frivolities as heat and food refrigeration. Maybe Gore will buy enough carbon credits to offset the tree lights and the TV.  Of course, since he owns the trading firm, he’s paying it to himself.

What did you do for Earth Hour?  I watched a new DVD set of The Tudors, featuring a time when hypocrisy limited itself to launching a new religion in order to get a trophy wife.

Update: Al Gore responds by denying everything, while saying that “no family is perfect”.

Comments

‘Earth Hour’ passed me by in a puff of blissfully ignorant ambivalence. I have no interest in mimicking the behavior of these retarded ‘environmentalist’ monkeys.

I saw some photos today of some gullible Aussies ‘celebrating’ by lighting candles – unaware that the CO2 output of a burning candle is far more than that required to power a lightbulb.

Stupid primates.

LimeyGeek on March 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM

The big arguement against evolution: It is based on the assumption that humans really are smarter than monkeys.

petunia on March 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

So if the guy drove past the Goracles home, did he at least have the sense to take some pictures?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on March 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I gave you an indulgence on the Notre Dame post, rather than join the Obama trolls. Thanks for the gratuitous insult that ignores the historical context.

Right_of_Attila on March 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I was really just being sarcastic. Yes, I’m well aware that the Catholic Church in that era was corrupt and badly in need of reform, although one can also make the claim that Henry’s reliance on Woolsey made that less likely rather than more likely. I’m more sympathetic to the issue of potential civil war in the absence of a legitimate male heir, since his father got the crown by ending the War of the Roses.

Anyway, sorry for the offense, but if you’re being honest, you’d also note that “reform” made Henry a humongous fortune in confiscation of Catholic Church property.

Ed Morrissey on March 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

It is based on the assumption that humans really are smarter than monkeys.

petunia on March 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I think we be smarter than monkeys.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Stop mocking the man and listen to his many words of wisdom! He may be a fully-baked idiot but at least he’s super, super serial!

Man/Bear/Pig indeed!

CaptFlood on March 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Aha! That makes him a “denier”! Let’s put this heretic on trial for crimes against humanity.

Buy Danish on March 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I know there are some Latin experts here on Hot Air. How do you say “Do as I say, not as I do” in Latin? Think we could use this as the motto for Gore, Obama, Dodd, Pelosi, Geithner, etc.

Christian Conservative on March 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I think we be smarter than monkeys.

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM

The current occupant of the White House proves otherwise ;)

LimeyGeek on March 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Right_of_Attila on March 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Ed Morrissey on March 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

On this point isn’t that article about the “de-baptism” or whatever that was called, creepy? I’m not of any of those denominations but wow. I want to root for every religous person out there: DON’T Lose Faith! God hears and answers prayers, try Him!

petunia on March 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I did laundry, ran the dishwasher, baked cookies, microwaved some popcorn and live blogged the whole hour!

Stephen Macklin on March 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM

To be fair, didn’t Gore install solar panels for his home?

kc8ukw on March 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Actually. Gore did install solar panels and some other stuff to his mansion. However, he was embarassed into doing so only after the Tennessee Center for Policy Research esposed his hypocritical energy waste in 2007, one day after his laughable “movie” came out. They found that his mansion consumed the same amount of electricity in 1 year as used to provide a month’s worth of electricity for 232 homes.

Strange thing, though-after all of these renovations, Al’s electric use went UP 10%.

The adoring pro-Gore media ignored this, of course. Just as they ignored a true-energy-efficient house in Texas. That one of course is owned by the evil Bush.

Del Dolemonte on March 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

People are still posting “I TURNED EVERYTHING ON IN THE HOUSE FOR EARTH HOUR” posts.

You are all funny and hilarious. I bet there are a dozen more before the end of the page.

Dave Rywall on March 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Ed,

King Henry was able to start the Anglican Church due to the many errors and false historical claims of the Roman Catholic Church.

Right_of_Attila on March 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Yes, it had nothing to do with the fact he wanted to divorce Queen Catherine to marry Anne Boleyn and the Pope would not declare his marriage invalid. Of coarse, the bloody mass murdered had her beheaded when that didn’t work out the way he had hoped. Of coarse killing one wife wasn’t good enough for the good Christian king who, before his hormones took control, once penned a vicious attack on Luther, also killed Kathryn Howard. Now what was were you saying about his good cause?

TheBigOldDog on March 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Christian Conservative on March 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Ew-day sa-ah I Ew-say, Ot-nay sa-ah I ew-day

hawkdriver on March 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

That’s not strange. He needs to maintain the battery bank charge levels after sun down.

DarkCurrent on March 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I want to get in on the stimulas/CO2 money… Have land will plant trees. Of course since there are very few trees there naturally (coastal flat land) it may damage the normal eco-environs. Is that okay?

If not that, perhaps a wind farm… I guess that 5 or 6 units would fit rather nicely. Being as most days see some good winds, onshore then offshore… repeat, it should be a good place for that too.

Wait a sec… I could do both. 20ft trees and 400ft turbines. Sweet.

Not only that but being an amateur astronomer I hate outside lighting… I will be putting in a request to have a streetlight at the edge of my property turned off (seriously). You guys won’t hold it against me if I use GW/CO2 as my trump card in that matter… will you?

Plus documentation of that request will give me some street cred with the dumb eco-hippy chicks that remind me of my youth.

Just preparing to work the ‘new system’.

RalphyBoy on March 30, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Obviously some people don’t understand’s Goreacle’s indulgences (er I mean carbon credits). It’s not just planting trees, but its also having non industrial peoples, such as remote NViet peasants sell us their ‘right to pollute’ which they will never in this lifetime ever be able to accomplish because of the lack of industrialization. Then they sell this right to currently polluting guilt ridden libtard Euros, to further pollute the atmosphere. Hence there is a net addition of pollution, but a net reduction in guilt, and a net increase in profits by the Pope (sorry your real Eminence) of Global Warming Alarmism, Alfredus Doofus Goreacle.
Some of us have caught onto not only the carbon credit hoax but the underlying anthropogenic global warming/climate change hoax. While we understand that climate change happens, and has been happening for approximately five billion years (fancy that). We understand such climate changes have happened throughout time without human proximate causation, (or with barely registerable human involvement). Thus nothing we do or could do in the foreseeable future could affect climate change or AGW. The only thing such policies could do is socialize the world, cripple the US, drive us from an industrial society to a pre industrial society.

eaglewingz08 on March 30, 2009 at 1:12 PM

If you’re the kind of amateur astronomer I am you’ll be burning up a lot of CO2 powering your electrically cooled high-res CCD camera, laptops, motor-driven telescope mount, electric focusers, dew protection system, etc. ;)

DarkCurrent on March 30, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I turned every light in the house on, turned on all three TVs and both radios. I only wish I had as many lights to turn on as Al Gore did (I don’t have tons of fancy outdoor lights like Big Al…darn it!).

Lizzy on March 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

(I don’t have tons of fancy outdoor lights like Big Al…darn it!).

Lizzy on March 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

If you apply to Obama, maybe you can get a stimulus check to pay for those.

MarkTheGreat on March 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM

“Do as I say, not as I do?”

At least The Goracle is consistant.

GarandFan on March 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Me? I think the power companies should pull an “Earth Hour” every now and then at random – just shut the juice off at some un announced time, and then claim they are saving the world.

Wander on March 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Now they’ll be saying that every time the power goes out. :-) They’ll rephrase it from power outages to earth breaks.

threeCents on March 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Since Gore knows that man made global Warming is, A Convenient Lie, he knows that turning off his lights is a
waste of time.

darktood on March 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Oh the carbon indulgences. Pennance has been around a while. Looks like it is recycled from the Catholic church.

seven on March 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Ummm…

I just cant seem to bring myself to give a flying fart for anything this guy says/does. Hypocrite, DUH! Irrelevant, of course. Intelligent, NOT! I guess that South Park ruined him for me when his character on the show spoke these words:

“Im totally serial”

bigskinny on March 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I turned on every light in the house, the washer, the dryer, all 7 of the tv’s, while only 2 people were home. I started 3 cars, ran my generator(noisy) and mounted two small spotlights on my roof. My computer also ran non-stop.

welcome to human achievment hour.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on March 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM

DarkCurrent on March 30, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I find myself strangely drawn in that direction… Lots of electric power being used while sitting in the dark and freezing cold outdoors.

RalphyBoy on March 30, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Dave Rywall on March 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

True true… so what does that tell you about the ability to mind control as you and your are so good at trying. Maybe you should try reverse psychology!

I didn’t know what people were talking about… We went and saw the Monster’s vs. Alien in 3d and it was totally cool!

petunia on March 30, 2009 at 2:34 PM

seven on March 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Hmmmmmm

petunia on March 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM

The only real thing to determine concerning Gore is the degree of insanity his diseased mind has regressed too.

volsense on March 30, 2009 at 2:44 PM

But he needs his light to read up on all the scientific consensus! Super serial!

Saltyron on March 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Well, you wake up in the morning
You hear the work bell ring
And they march you to the table
To see the same old thing

Ain’t no food upon the table
And no pork up in the pan
But you better not complain, boy
You get in trouble with the man

CHORUS
Let the midnight special
Shine a light on me
Let the midnight special
Shine a light on me
Let the midnight special
Shine a light on me
Let the midnight special
Shine a ever-lovin light on me

Creedence Clearwater Revival

maverick muse on March 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Seriously, Ed, where can I find a higher-resolution version of that Gore image? That thing is epic.

Blacklake on March 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I was unable to counter-celebrate Earth Hour on Saturday due the SIX INCHES OF SNOW THAT WAS FALLING ON US AT THE RATE OF 2-3 INCHES PER HOUR on Saturday.

Fargo this ain’t….no lie, Kansas City, Kansas had 6 inches of snow on Sat.

Rogue on March 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

What did you do for Earth Hour?

Rephrase Ed; What did you do DURING Earth Hour? By saying, “for”, you imply that we recognized or celebrated Earth Hour.

During Earth Hour, I was catching up on TV shows I missed while on a business trip by watching several hours of Hulu.

Al Gore is a moron. I know this second hand because I know one of his college roommates (not Tommy Lee Jones). MF told me that Tom was a brilliant guy in college, the one everyone thought would be a success and famous. Meanwhile, Al was the buffoon that was out getting drunk with Tipper every night and missing classes. Luckily, Al was the son of a US Senator or his ass would have been kicked to the curb early on.

Geministorm on March 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I turned on a couple of unneeded lights just to make up for the idiots. FWIW Between Katrina, Rita and most recently Gustav I’ve had the light (involuntarily) out to make up for the next 500 years of Earth hours.

AlGore is still a pompous hypocrite.

roux on March 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Can’t wait for the day………….

……… when Al Gore gives a speech, and no one cares.

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 3:37 PM

And he wonders why nobody will take him cereal anymore.

CitizenH on March 30, 2009 at 3:46 PM

And he wonders why nobody will take him cereal anymore.

CitizenH on March 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM

that was Sat night? darn, meant to turn all the lights on in protest…

kirkill on March 30, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Would it be bad taste (no pun intended) to point out that Mr. Gore appears to be on the verge of performing fellatio?

Would it be necessary for the moderator to remove this comment?

I hope I don’t get banned.

oldleprechaun on March 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Ed Morrissey on March 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Clearly, Henry was ruthless and not one to let a crisis go to waste, but dismissing Anglicans as a religion made up for convenience is a case of getting wrapped up in the Hollywood version of history.

I knew that I could expect better than that from you, Ed. Thanks.

Given the many Obama trolls here, there are better uses of our time than Catholic/Protestant debate on HotAir. There are too many things conservatives need to unite on for that OT discussion.

Right_of_Attila on March 30, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I found his Nashville mansion on Google Earth. I don’t know how old the photos are, but I didn’t see anything on his roof that looks like solar panels and he has very little roof facing south. Just open GE and search for Al Gore and you can see for yourself

darwin-t on March 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Futurama, the non-animated version.

Speakup on March 30, 2009 at 7:05 PM

When someone believes they are saving the planet, that someone is unlikely to feel he should be bound by the laws of ordinary men.

notagool on March 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM

This jerk is barking mad!

kens on March 30, 2009 at 11:11 PM

All lights in the house were turned on of course, televisions too.

I even allowed some methane to escape after a couple bottle of Guiness.

Spiritk9 on March 31, 2009 at 3:44 AM

Fargo this ain’t….no lie, Kansas City, Kansas had 6 inches of snow on Sat.

Rogue on March 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Got 9″ on the southern side of Tulsa, OK! Latest snowfall of this magnitude we’ve seen and we’ve been here 14 years. Bring on global warming.

Christian Conservative on March 31, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Oh and we were wondering if Algore had been scheduled to speak here or something.

Christian Conservative on March 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM