Blogger a little worried about this “Fox Nation” thing

posted at 6:53 pm on March 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m optimistic that having FNC endlessly flogging its venture on air will create a boom in new conservative web users and, in turn, a rising tide that lifts all rightblogger boats. After all, it’s got all the hallmarks of a big traffic site: (1) a famous patron, (2) heavy daily content volume, and (3) a variety of subject matter rather than one narrow niche. (See, e.g., the Huffington Post and Hot Air.) But what if instead of creating new blog readers they simply start vacuuming up existing ones — like, say, the 65 percent of HA commenters who hate my posts? Whither the blogosphere?

Seriously, though, what do you guys think of it? Portfolio and Inside Cable News note that Fox has basically abandoned the “fair and balanced” motto by launching a site this partisan. I’m impressed with the sheer amount of stuff on there but annoyed that there’s no RSS feed and underwhelmed by the layout. This site, like FNC’s main site, somehow looks a bit chintzier than CNN’s or MSNBC’s, although I’m not quite sure why. I want to say it’s because there’s too much white space, but both of its competitors have plenty of white space too. Any ideas what the problem is, web designers? Exit question: Hey, as part of the big launch, can we get FoxNews.com to stop cheaping out with that postage-stamp-sized video player they use and get a nice, roomy video player like MSNBC? You’re number one in the ratings, people. Show us the money.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Great.

Another con blog.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Once again, we sit by helplessly, as we watch a giant, faceless, pseudo-journalistic mega-corporate money making machine move-in on the horizon like a giant storm cloud — one that will INEVITABLY engulf and devour the small, “family owned” operation. In a way, it’s not unlike watching one of the plagues that descended on Pharoah’s Egypt in Cecil B. DeMille’s classic film The Ten Commandments.

My collie says:

Poor AllahPundit. Who at FoxNation will take up the atheist beta-male’s cause?

Depends. Is there MONEY in it? There are market forces at work here that CAN NOT be denied.

My collie says:

Yeah. Ain’t capitalism GREAT?

CyberCipher on March 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Huff Po’s commenters are the most racist communists I’ve ever seen.

Speedwagon82 on March 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM

If they are willing to actually cover stories such as the ‘birth certificate court challenges’ and Ashley Biden snorting Coke then Hot Air is in trouble.

These are both current news stories. The eligibility cases can be heard by the Supreme Court – but Hot Air still won’t report on it. Anyone who DOES comment on it is smeared as a conspiracy nut (strange thing about that smear is that we only seek a truth that has not been vetted to any degree of official credibility – those who wish to prevent the discussion are basing their opinions on a COLB posted online and a newspaper clipping from the local shopper).

Same with the story on coke whore Ashley Biden.

If you are going to censor the news discussed – why should we continue to visit this site?

Mr Purple on March 30, 2009 at 8:14 PM

It’s all “inside baseball”, with tons of inferences and linkedy linked links to five minute vapid videos or some other crap from HuffPo or some other useless crap because AP can’t write anything that makes a point and stands on its own.

Thanks for yet another craptastic post, AP.

Hey. It’s not Allahpundit’s fault if you are too dimwitted to keep up. Waaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

hillbillyjim on March 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Great.

Another con blog.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

There’ll be more. But then you don’t have to read them, do you?

ddrintn on March 30, 2009 at 8:16 PM

You mean the 65% who love to hate your posts?

(They would feel lost without their favorite whipping boy, and down deep they know it.)

Disturb the Universe on March 30, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I looked at a comment thread over there and clearly HotAir’s comments setup is vastly superior to what they have done. Looks to me the way their’s is setup that there is no way to reply to a reply. How dumb is that?

Maxx on March 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

It’s a moderated echo chamber full of beckers.

Yawn.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Allah, you can’t check yourself out, we will find out who you are and what you look like.
Cindy Munford on March 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Distributed computing with screen savers will form a composite image from thousands of his text posts. He’s a goner! Who supplies the silencers?

Feedie on March 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Nuance.

GOP vows WWIII over Stuart Smalley

Why the Democrat’s can’t govern

Huffington Post to rummage through your trash

Scary! Obama nominee wants one world order

YYZ on March 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Great.

Another con blog.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Hurry and sign up! They’ll love ya there too!

AUINSC on March 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Fox Nation is not the same type of blogging experience. I have been reading HA for 3 years. I finally got a login and post from time to time. With Fox Nation any body can post anything so you lose the sense of connection with other bloggers. I will surely read Fox Nation but in addition to NOT in lieu of HA. I don’t think you have anything to worry about and I’ll bet you a Makers Mark that next years readership at HA will be higher than today.

Amadeus on March 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM

One thing is for sure; they’ll never link to Jihad Watch.

Disturb the Universe on March 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Damn straight.

My collie says:

Yeah. Ain’t capitalism GREAT?

CyberCipher on March 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM

And I don’t see Fox giving us a Cyber’s talking collie.

As for me and my house, we choose to follow Hot Air.

Frozen Tex on March 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM

AUINSC on March 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM

I left a post.

It did not show up.

It’s moderated so supporting the President is not allowed.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Wait it did show up.

Under AP’s post.

Uh oh, conspiracy theory.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Same here but I wasn’t supporting the Idiot

Amadeus on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Don’t worry AP, there’s plenty to go around – I usually visit several sites at a sitting.

I have to tell ya though – there have been many times I’ve seen something at Drudge, and wanted so bad to make a comment on it.

You are pretty good at picking out the ones begging for comments.

Queen0fCups on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

If it would eliminate the whiny ass pussies who bitch and moan about how you’re not toeing the Reagan line every second of every day…no great loss.
Actually, it would be awesome.

CLIMB OFF THE LEDGE AP.

SouthernDem on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

This is why Fox Nation is a novelty.
Check out Allahpundits Comment.

Amadeus on March 30, 2009 at 8:31 PM

…And I don’t see Fox giving us a Cyber’s talking collie.

As for me and my house, we choose to follow Hot Air.

Frozen Tex on March 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Yeah, but scroll down on the opening page at FoxNation — THEY’VE got “Girls Gone Wild” stories. Boobs, man. BOOBS!

My collie says:

It’s tough to compete against THAT. Hmmm. MAYBE if I shaved off all my hair and did pole dances…Yeah, that’s it’s…naked collie pole dancing — that’s SURE to bring back the clientele.

CyberCipher on March 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM

No way, Allah. I still love you.

uncivilized on March 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Amadeus on March 30, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Heeeeyyyyyyy…

Getalife’s cheating on us!!!

uncivilized on March 30, 2009 at 8:35 PM

AP, I’ve been with you since your Allah In The House days. I ain’t goin’ anywhere.

ulyses on March 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM

My collie says:

CyberCipher on March 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM

No. No. Bad, bad doggie.

uncivilized on March 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM

No. No. Bad, bad doggie.

uncivilized on March 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Agreed.

Frozen Tex on March 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I can’t live without AP posts comparing Huck to Palin. I’ll stick around.

V15J on March 30, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Allah, you may say some ridiculous things sometimes, but I still love you and the rest here at HA. I’d never leave… until things go all “LGF” and I get banned for my thought crimes.

Living4Him5534 on March 30, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Not to worry Mr. Pundit. I might go there to read the news but there isn’t enough money on the planet that would get me to read though 5k comments.

(Ok, so how many comments were there?)

Skandia Recluse on March 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM

The more the merrier, I say.

Not much chance I’ll forsake this blog, though. Way too much content, plus I like Ed AND Allah equally.

irongrampa on March 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Allah………..

……. you just HAVE to incorporate the “Report” function, along with;

“Thank You!
Your comment is awaiting moderation.”

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM

looks pretty weak to me & derivative of half a dozen blogs i already read every day.

Mike D. on March 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

uncivilized on March 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Dude, your collie into the Pabst Blue Ribbon again?

Amadeus on March 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Allah isn’t interested in smearing Ashley Biden or “Slow Joe,” just Sarah Palin. If it were one of the Palin kids, Allah would have at least 30 days of non-stop material.

Yes Allah, I would be concerned. There are a number of up and coming right wing blogs with real conservatives as posters.

bw222 on March 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Pay them no mind. They’re like kids that do nothing but play with the delicious food they get every night at the dinner table.

blatantblue on March 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Sorry, seems I need to amend my previous comment.

I’ve stayed here this long in spite of AP and dbags like this guy above.

I make the observation, that even though I disagree with AP, I keep coming back (thereby paying his salary) because I like Hot Air. I like the community here, the discussions are mostly civil, I think Ed writes insightful posts that always educate but because I’m not bowing down with the rest of you at the AP Beta altar, I’m a “kid”? Excuse me for getting out of line, massa!

LastRick on March 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

You need to expand Hot Air.

True_King on March 30, 2009 at 8:55 PM

You need to expand Hot Air.

True_King on March 30, 2009 at 8:55 PM

That was unintentionally funny. Lol. I shouldn’t type so fast.

True_King on March 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

True_King on March 30, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Breaker Breaker, 10-4 there good buddy!

blatantblue on March 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I’ve been reading HA for what feels like years, oh that’s because it is! Anyway I like the variety so enjoy posts of both Ed and AP and really don’t understand the people whining about AP. Go somewhere else or just don’t read his posts.

But overall AP FTW, makes insightful comments while often being funny.

VeniVidiVidic on March 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Sorry.

Before I can enter into an intelligent and informed dialogue on these matters I will first have to inform myself on FNC’s ventures, the thoughts of Portfolio and Inside Cable News, learn all about RSS feed (which I have no use or need for), and become a worldly critic of the design of web page layout. I mean, is FNC’s main site, somehow a bit chintzier than CNN’s or MSNBC’s because of white space? Does one have a finer nose? Or a finer finish? Which is more fruity?

I’m no Iowahawk, but you get my drift.

Tinian on March 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

From Fox Nation……..

getalife
Economy saved.

Big Auto restructured.

G20 meeting for regulations.

Now, back to his agenda.

Nice job in cleaning up the mess President Obama.

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 08:14 PM

…….. the hits just keep on comming!

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Yeah, I wouldn’t worry Allah. Ed is quickly becoming a household name thanks to his hard work and accolades from Rush Limbaugh. And we always have your anti-Christian, anti-Palin, anti-Beck and pro Meghan threads to look forward to.

carbon_footprint on March 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM

It’s not comment-friendly.
I’ll stick with HA.

jgapinoy on March 30, 2009 at 9:02 PM

There is too much there, there.

myrenovations on March 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM

From Fox Nation……..

getalife
Economy saved.

Big Auto restructured.

G20 meeting for regulations.

Now, back to his agenda.

Nice job in cleaning up the mess President Obama.

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 08:14 PM
…….. the hits just keep on comming!

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I got a “ditto reply to my post.

AP and HA regulars.

No replies.

HA!

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Great.

Another con blog.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

So are you going to get overtime or are you salary?

- The Cat

MirCat on March 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Keemo had a suggestion last night that I think is worth considering: Ignore getalife.

Terrye on March 30, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I looked the site, interesting.

Terrye on March 30, 2009 at 9:20 PM

AP you would be damned hard to replace!

Between the whining for an iPhone…

Your dreaming of a life with the “Sexpert” a/o KP…

Not to mention your never ending quest for “Humping Robot” videos…

You ARE sorta like the “Court Jester” of HA!

FloridaBill on March 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

GAME OVER.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM

You’re lucky that their interface seems to suck, right now. The moderation is a huge black mark. When I let a word slip by and go into moderation, here, I consider it a wasted post.

In the end, you are probably correct in thinking that Fox’s site would help to increase traffic to all right-leaning blogs.

progressoverpeace on March 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Uncharacteristically optimistic of you! I hope you’re right!

SouthernGent on March 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

the loss of hannitybots my mean a return of ordinary, rational readers.

eh on March 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I like the instant posts with no moderation here.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM

It’s I’m a moderated echo chamber full of with a tiny little beckers Pecker.

Yawn Yikes.

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Knucklehead on March 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Allah, you banned the Sandwichboard Guys.
They need a new echo-chamber place to hang out.
Someplace where the magical thinking so in vogue with the current instantiation of the conservative movement won’t be challenged by any mean old facts, science, or polldata.
;)

strangelet on March 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM

It’s a great idea for the conservative movement because, quite frankly, I never even heard of Hotair until I followed a link from jihadwatch.org and I found Jihadwatch only by doing a Google search for sites critical of islam.

But I had heard of Fox. The reality of the matter is that most people have never heard of Hotair and never will. Nobody in my family has ever heard of it. Nobody I have ever talk to has heard of this site or Michelle Malkin, or any of the other conservative sites. But everybody has heard of Fox.

If getting the conservative message across can be greatly expanded by this Fox Nation, damn it, that is fantastic. The blogosphere is too small in scope to be a catalyst for a movement the likes of which we now need. Only TV has that reach. How many millions of conservatives are out there waiting for something like this to come along?

keep the change on March 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Allah,

Uh how is that any different than the hive mind over at DK?

Dr. Dog on March 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I got a “ditto reply to my post.

AP and HA regulars.

No replies.

HA!

getalife on March 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Proof enough……….

………. you should start your own blog. Cheers to your success!!

Seven Percent Solution on March 30, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Personally, I think it would be beneficial if Fox Nation registered users to comment instead of painstakingly reviewing every post.

AP, as long as Humping Robot stays at HotAir, I’m stayin’.

Weebork on March 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I like HA and the niche here. I don’t like seeing a million things to pick from, on sites like FNation and such. HA is the only place that I have time to go to, and I like it because it narrows down the massive info with a conservative slant. The format is solid.

What I think is missing from HA that would make a major difference:
1. Bring back VENT. It would be nice if Michelle did them, but Ed, Jihad Watch guy, whoever would be great. These vids separated HA from the fray. In your “About” it says “…dynamic, high-impact video spots that broadcast during Hot Air videos such as “VENT with Michelle Malkin.”

2. Get a conservative edgy “right winger” blogger to add to the talent. HA has AP (great blogger, but neutral, hard to pin down, possibly a liberal-leaning centrist) and Ed (awesome writer, very moderate and careful in many ways). But they really need that edge to create some balance, fill the missing Malkin slot, and get things rockin’.

3. Get rid of the trolls. I find myself not bothering to read comments anymore. I used enjoy them and was actually educated by a lot of them. But it seems like there are only a few intellectual voices remaining that are willing to put up with the dipshits. The trolls simply stifle the flow of conservative debate. I think it should be either/or. Either open registration and let hell break loose, or moderate it and make it more enjoyable for the more intellectual conservatives to comment. If I want to see 1000 comments from moronic Leftards, I’ll go to YouTube.

4. Comment format changed – Comments should at least be threaded, and an option to see “all”. That would be a way to avoid having to see the troll-oriented debates if #3 option is decided to not eliminate them.

5. Put “ALL Headlines” right there on the front page. I’m referring to the page you go to after clicking “all headlines”. I have to go there anyway because I miss the end of the list on the front page.

6. Wider Screen Format – I noticed that Huffington and FoxNation are both wider on my screen. HA format seems a little narrow but it could just be my PC. You could get the “All Headlines” easier at the top that way.

Anyhoo, just a few suggestions from a fan of the site. I could think of more if I had time.

nottakingsides on March 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM

7. More random “educational” posts. Stuff that relates to the founding and the constitution, etc… Posts that have no direct relation to a current event, just something here and there to promote discussion of conservative principles, American History, philosophy, and such.

BTW, I don’t think HA has anything to worry about with FoxNATIOn and such, but they can’t get to complacent either and need to be proactive and more creative in some areas.

nottakingsides on March 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Exactly my thoughts….kind of a crazy thing to do right before the end of the Pajama Media dollars end.

AprilOrit on March 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM

whoops meant to say –

Exactly my thoughts….kind of a crazy thing to do right before the end of the Pajama Media dollars. Don’t they officially end April1?

AprilOrit on March 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM

AP,

While I understand why you want 1000+ comments on threads, they really aren’t much fun to read. I typically bypass those and go to the ones with 200 comments or less. I like the small community of HA commentors verses the huge commentor pools at HuffPo, Kos, etc.

It looks like Fox Nation is getting those 2500+ threads already. For that reason only, I’ll probably pass.

BTW, your posts are the reason I still visit Hot Air regularly, although I do enjoy Ed’s internet show.

pullingmyhairout on March 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Hope the door don’t hit them on their way out. They’re incredibly obnoxious.

OneGyT on March 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Fox Nation is big, but doesn’t feel interactive. Sort of like a newspaper that allows comments. I think they are mainly in competition with Breitbart. There’s no feeling of any human blogging personalities behind the scenes at all. I don’t know…but HA and Fox Nation are not in the same market. No worries.

AUINSC on March 30, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Came here from Captains Quarters,not going anywhere.
Learn a lot from Allah/Ed’s post but would like to see some guest posters here to.

I think this is a great idea by FOX and don’t care about hearing the “bias” blather either because liberals control over 75% of the MSM.

The more involved people can get in bypassing the filter of liberal media the better.

I think in the end,it will get more conservatives involved in getting their news from the internet/blogs which will eventually increase traffic here and other blogs like:
Patterico,Red State,Instapundit,Ace of Spades,Newsbusters,Michelle Malkin,Long War Journal,Micheal Yon,Micheal Totten,Powerline,Big Hollywood,gateway pundit…etc…etc…etc…

Baxter Greene on March 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Not much there there. A cable channel that does not archive shows for internet use creates a redundant site. Seems a waste. Maybe first they get their money’s worth out of HULU or Foxnews.com.

koolbrease on March 30, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Why the hell would HotAirHeads want to go play with FOX all day? It is going to be the target of every species of troll that Darwin and God could cook up. At least here we have a bonafide, hammer weilding, straighten up or get out, Mommy Dearest to keep us in line. How many Yankee fans have survive their first month on HA?

Nah….HotAir is where Palins and Joe Plumbers can rub elbows with the Krondikes and Savages. Over at FOX it is going to be like trying to storm the beach in Normandy….during spring break.

Limerick on March 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM

keep the change on March 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

You make an excellent point. I hadn’t heard of HotAir until I saw a few of Ed’s polls on AOL. After I linked over to the site a few times I decided to eliminate the middleman and come directly to Hotair from that point on.

And after coming to Hotair, I found out about the great cartoon Day By Day and several other very good sites, so getting the word out through any means can only be a good thing.

As far as taking bloggers away, well, I make the rounds when I can of several sites throughout the day. Anyone who leaves to go to that site was probably not going to stay here anyway.

I like Ed immensely, and even though I disagree with AP often, I still enjoy his posts and laugh at his attempts (sucessful and otherwise) to tweak some of the more brittle members here. (like saying Obama should still speak at ND with his pro-abortion philosophy even after implying that the science/technology school did the right thing in uninviting Ben Stein from speaking due to his anti-science philosophy) It’s all in good fun, and more importantly gets people talking.

Anyway, for better or worse, I’ll still be here. I waited too long for enrollment to open up to leave, lol.

DrAllecon on March 31, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I miss Bryan and MM’s vlogging… It wasn’t called HA cuz of AP’s attitude… AP lost his mind and jumped the shark right after McShamnesty’s Get Out of Mexico Free Card was played.

Sultry Beauty on March 31, 2009 at 1:04 AM

I’ll probably mostly post on hot air simply because of the commentary, and in all likeness there will be a lot of populist news stories there. I’ll visit both sites, but I think hot air’s format is more to my liking.

Vegi on March 31, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Limerick on March 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Now that’s funny…LOL.

AprilOrit on March 31, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Limerick on March 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Good God, when I read your comment I had this visual in my head of Geraldo, saggy body & all, in swim trunks with a rose in his mouth storming the beach at Spring Break chasing all these scantily clad Girls Gone Wild type babes, like the ones O’Reilly likes to loop on his show.

It just made me crack up laughing.

AprilOrit on March 31, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Way to keep your HA peeps:

1: Daily Vent
2: Daily Vent
3: HotAir fan reports (HA citizen journalist vids)
4: Daily Vent
5: Allahpundit cage match
6: Daily Vent

Black Adam on March 31, 2009 at 2:15 AM

ED, ALLAH, PLEASE CONSIDER my suggestion for an effective solution to the complaints of excessive trolls: include an “IGNORE” button so WE COULD FILTER OUT SPECIFIC TROLLS’ COMMENTS OURSELVES. Saves you guys moderation time & satisfies those who can’t wade thru the crap (like me) without cutting their posts & “hits”.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 31, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Any ideas what the problem is, web designers?

Too much white space in the wrong space – the top. It looks like they started to create a banner and forgot to finish it. It may sound trivial, but the gray background and rounded corners on the CNN site go a long way toward making the site look more polished.

I don’t understand the notion that a website should look like a newspaper. It’s a bit like designing a cellphone to look like a telegraph key

RedWinged Blackbird on March 31, 2009 at 6:03 AM

This site, like FNC’s main site, somehow looks a bit chintzier than CNN’s or MSNBC’s, although I’m not quite sure why… Any ideas what the problem is, web designers?

I’m late to the game but my take on the design is that it’s too “auto-generated” looking. All the sites like CNN are auto-generated of course, on extremely sophisticated publishing platforms, but they have highly customized details.

Fox’s is more straight-out-of-the-box with not nearly enough human intervention especially in the initial creation of the templates. I assume this must be on purpose – maybe they think that loose, unfocused, repetitive design is more “bloggy” somehow?

And about white space – it’s not a good thing when it’s too evenly distributed like it is over there. Positive and negative need to look intelligently and functionally grouped. Not just “padding: 30px on everything” if you know what I mean.

It does say beta though so maybe they launched before finalizing the design.

Gilda on March 31, 2009 at 6:29 AM

Hot Air is a fun and easy to use site. I seriously doubt Foxnation will cannibalize blogs like Hot Air for the simple reason that people tend to visit more than one site to get their info and voice their opinion. It all comes down to community and some will find the inevitably massive Foxnation community to be too intimidating and hectic to feel an attachment too.

Also, Foxnation is going to attract a ton of leftist trolls mobilized by the Huffington Post and Daily Kos whose sole goal is to disrupt. if anything, the left wing sites may be the ones who lose most of their users to Foxnation.

Daemonocracy on March 31, 2009 at 7:55 AM

TFN will be cool for an occasional peruse or troll smackdown, put HA’s the sheet. You guys know this…

RepubChica on March 31, 2009 at 8:32 AM

VeniVidiVidic on March 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I agree 100%. I am a conservative Fox news junkie, but I have no interest in joining that site.

becki51758 on March 31, 2009 at 8:34 AM

AP- though you do irritate me and I have many times considered unfollowing you on Twitter, I’m not going to stop reading HA because Fox has some new blog thingy. I begrudgingly like you and can’t help it!! Plus I think the Fox blog will attract infinitely more trolls, and I do hate the trolls.

dagny on March 31, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Welp, it’s ugly, and I still prefer HA and would not stop reading even if FoxNation looked…professional. The upside for FN is that anyone can comment and it’s nice to see lots of conservatives commenting on the news. At this point, I’ll take whatever if it gets people talking.

citrus on March 31, 2009 at 8:49 AM

There’s no flow to the site. No overall design feel. The scale of everything is just “off” in relation to everything else. Most conspicuous example: the prominent fonts are all either too small or too big.

LibTired on March 31, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I will continue to come to HA because like others have said, I feel an attachment (rarely, but sometimes) to other posters. At least I can keep track of who I’m “talking” to.

I’m here regularly and I will stay. I also go to Michelle’s site several times a day. I did go to FoxNation.com yesterday and posted several times. I don’t like having to wait on moderation because there’s no sense of continuity IMO. I got tired of waiting for my comment and just left the thread.

I think it’s GREAT that Fox is allowing people to comment and talk. We’re living in scary times and I think it’s helpful for people to be able to talk and realize “we’re not alone.”

Oink on March 31, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Where can I go to purchase this reader-cloning device of which you speak?

cackcon on March 31, 2009 at 10:18 AM

A place to rail against AH? I’m outa here! (just kidding, really).

desertdweller on March 31, 2009 at 11:05 AM

It’s not clear that the Fox Nation site is all that partisan–this is their “statement of purpose”:

Our Purpose
The FOX Nation Statement of Purpose

The Fox Nation was created for people who believe in the United States of America and its ideals, as expressed in the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the Emancipation Proclamation.

It is a community that believes in the American Dream: Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. One that believes being an American is an honor, as well as a great responsibility—and a wonderful adventure.

This is a place for people who believe we live in a great country, a welcoming refuge for legal immigrants who want to contribute their talent and abilities to make our way of life even greater. We believe we should enjoy the company and support of each other, delighting in the creativity, ingenuity, and work ethic of one and all, while observing the basic rules of civility and mutual respect and, most importantly, strengthening our diverse society by striving for unity.

The Fox Nation is for those committed to the core principles of tolerance, open debate, civil discourse–and fair and balanced coverage of the news. It is for those opposed to intolerance, excessive government control of our lives, and attempts to monopolize opinion or suppress freedom of thought, expression, and worship.

We invite all Americans who share these values to join us here at Fox Nation.

Most people (including liberals) who watch cable news know that Fox News is more conservative than CNN, MSNBC, and the alphabet networks, and Hannity&Colmes, which used to be a left vs. right debate show, has now become simply “Hannity”, who sometimes invites liberals onto his “Great American Panel” but tries to shoot holes in their arguments.

But where else can conservatives get honest news on TV?

If Fox News is launching a major conservative blog, it might get lots of liberal trolls who call into the “Hate Hannity Hotline”, but they might also read comments from true conservatives, and some centrists might be convinced by their arguments.

As for the danger that a Fox Nation blog might swallow up some of the conservative blogs with smaller memberships, that could go both ways. Conservative commentators like Michelle Malkin probably have a larger following after being on Fox News, where a large audience can hear them expressing conservative views on TV. Also, conservative bloggers could post comments on Fox Nation with links to their own blogs, which might attract new readers if Fox Nation proves more popular than existing conservative blogs.

Let’s give this a chance, and try to cooperate with Fox Nation–whoever is for us is not against us. This might be an attempt to unite the “dextrosphere”, and we should welcome it.

Steve Z on March 31, 2009 at 11:14 AM

But what if instead of creating new blog readers they simply start vacuuming up existing ones — like, say, the 65 percent of HA commenters who hate my posts? Whither theWither my blogosphere?

Sorry, couldn’t resist fixing it for ya.

More power to FoxNation, especially as a counterweight to Huffo. As for myself, I’d probably not spend much time there. Different strokes … and all that.

Personally, I think the notion of objective, unbiased media is hogwash — a new-fangled construct foisted upon us by progressives in ye olde days of yellow-dog journalism. I’d be perfectly fine by the media wearing their preferences on their sleeve, logo and masthead.

To whit, the New York Democratic Times, The Fox Conservative News, The Star Liberal Tribune, LA Progressive Times, Fort Worth Independent Telegraph etc.

Heck, Obambi’s favorite “hero” & “role model” would often correspond with only the media that were behind him, not giving the time of the day to the oppo media. Obambi ought to do the same in his pressers–lock out the conservatives. Bring.It.On!

AH_C on March 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Reminded me of the UK’s Sun site, except not as many boobs, other than Sean Penn.

kirkill on March 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM