100,000 Brits download certificates of “de-baptism”

posted at 8:22 pm on March 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

The revolution cometh. We haven’t had a good religious food fight in the comments lately, so consider this your opportunity. Just to spice things up, a quote from Archbishop Chaput

I wrote my book,” Render Unto Caesar” to answer the question we’re talking about today: What are the political obligations of Catholics? My answer is very simple: The political duty of Catholics is to be Catholic first — to know their faith and to think and act like faithful Catholics all the time. That includes their life in the public square, which means it also includes an obligation to promote policies and candidates that reflect the natural law, the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the social and moral teachings of his church.

…followed by the results of a Gallup poll taken over the last three years showing that Catholics are no more inclined to oppose abortion or embryonic stem-cell research than non-Catholics. In fairness, Catholics who attend church regularly differ widely from Catholics who don’t (i.e. “cultural Catholics,” which I was for a long time), but even among the regulars the Pope’s counsel on certain hot-button topics is ignored: 53 percent think premarital sex and embryonic stem-cell research are morally acceptable, and 52 percent think the death penalty is. Toss in the fact that 50 percent of white Catholics say atheists will go to heaven and you’ll see why I prefer them to Protestants. A toast to those who don’t take their religion seriously!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Your children will be atheists.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

wow allah… bad day? You’re acting like a real dick. Why are atheists such assholes? I don’t really care what you believe.

Ampersand on March 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 30, 2009 at 9:13 PM

And that of course is the right answer. That rhetorical question I ask is just to inject a little humor.

The entire fundamental basis of faith is choice by a free moral agent.

I believe what I believe because I choose to do so. I don’t begrudge people their choices, even if I believe they are choosing wrong.

What I don’t do is go around and ridicule people for their choices. It seems to me, IMHO, that a common attribute of a atheistic or agnostic person is a position of arrogance and ridicule for people that declare a particular belief or faith. Again, that is just my anecdotal observation that is not based on empirical evidence.

Regardless, thank God for atheists, because they make my choice of faith even more valuable to me.

cryptojunkie on March 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

a an atheistic

argh, i hate not having edit

cryptojunkie on March 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM

If you are right and we Christians are wrong, what happens when we die? Nada.

However, if we are right and you are wrong, then what? :)

cryptojunkie on March 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM

What if God has a warped sense of humor, then the game’s reversed!

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I remember years ago being annoyed by those people always asking you “have you found Jesus?” Now they’ve been replaced by people saying “have I told you how awesomely atheist I am today?”

Ampersand on March 30, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Oh, Allah… why do you do this to us?

AbaddonsReign on March 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM

To prove that he exists and is powerful. He is probably trying to impress Meagan.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:18 PM

We will find life eventually on another planet…

thphilli on March 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

When I was much younger, many scientists talked about the universe being packed with intelligent life. Yet, we have been able to receive extra-terrestrial radio for nearly 50 years, and have heard no radio transmissions from any extra-terrestrial intelligent life.

This means that there is almost a 50 year gap, extending back in time-space, throughout the entire universe from it’s beginning, in which the only radio-transmitting intelligent life is here, on earth.

How does one logically explain this gap? At best, the universe is not as packed with intelligent life as once thought. And, every year our listening is met with silence, the gap in the universality of intelligent life becomes even larger and more difficult to explain.

So, at least for now, the notion that there are intelligent extra-terrestrial beings in the universe and that we will find then, is based on no physical evidence whatsoever. It is, therefore, simply a non-religious belief system.

Loxodonta on March 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Heaven is not for everyone, only those that come to the Father through Jesus Christ.

joepub on March 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I’m almost done with a Master’s in Catholic theology, and there are so many ignorant statements in AllahPundit’s post:

1) Baptism imparts a permanent seal on one’s soul; once baptized, always baptized. You can’t “debaptize” anybody.
2) Real Catholics are those who follow the Magisterium’s teachings. Even if one goes to church every Sunday doesn’t necessarily mean that one is well catechized and understands the Faith.
3) If a Catholic believes that premarital sex is okay, then that “Catholic” is completely wrong; ignorance is not a virtue.
4) The Magisterium has NEVER stated that the death penalty is morally wrong; certain recent popes have PERSONALLY opposed the death penalty. It is not a Catholic teaching that binds the faithful.
5) In conservative dioceses, where the faithful is better catechized, such as the Diocese of Arlington, Virginia, where I live, you would never get these same poll numbers. Real Catholics are faithful to Catholic teachings.

Gabe on March 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM

<blockquoteBishop on March 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM
yeah, pretty much what I was going to say. As time goes on, we learn more and more. The fact that the vast majority of people were illiterate when the Bible was first written doesn’t help. It’s meant to be a tool to assist rather than an absolute. If you read it and think over each part bit by bit, you get a good sense of what is literal (God’s law is imprinted into everyone’s heart i.e that feeling of right and wrong in your heart) and the metaphorical (pretty much you name it here, haha).

angelwing34215 on March 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM

That’s a nice thought, but I don’t think they use Baptism.

Frozen Tex on March 30, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Perhaps they are recent Islamic converts?

-Dave

Dave R. on March 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Loxodonta on March 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM

You mean people are actually believing in something that has no empirical evidence or proof?? Oh the horror!

cryptojunkie on March 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM

To keep this from getting too serious….

A joke:

Two old Jewish men, Sam and Moish, pass a church where the billboard in front says “Come in and be baptised, earn $20.” Sam says, “You know, I’m going to do it.” Moish: “What? You’re getting baptised?” Sam: “Yeah, I’m going to do it.”

Sam goes inside, and 20 minutes later he’s outside again. Moish says, “Well?” Sam: “Well, what?” Moish: “Were you baptised?” Sam: “Yeah.” Moish: “Did they give you the money?” And Sam says, “Is that all you people think about?”

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM

cryptojunkie on March 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM

yeah I’m always amused that anyone could believe in the atheist fairy tale of evolution…

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM

“My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind. Albert Einstein

swede7 on March 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions, and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seems to me to be empty and devoid of meaning.
- Albert Einstein

I am a determinist. I do not believe in free will. Jews believe in free will. I reject that doctrine. In that respect I am not a Jew.
- Albert Einstein

No. And one life is enough for me.
- Albert Einstein (When asked, “Do you believe in immortality?)

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Heh – they can get “certificates of debaptism” if they want, but it doesn’t undo the fact that they were baptized!

A fact I bore happily in mind as I had my babies baptized.

The trouble with some atheists is that they talk about religion all the time. You’d think they were almost obsessed. Allah appears to be, at any rate.

You’d think it would be enough for people to simply be atheists. Why anyone would view it as some sort of race, or a contest of some sort, or something to be crammed down other people’s throats at every opportunity, I will never understand.

It’s as if some atheists are so insecure about their (lack of) beliefs that they won’t be happy until they get everyone to agree, as validation.

Me, I believe and think what I want, without worrying about how many others agree with me.

So how about you go your way, and I’ll go mine. Nothing much more tiresome, imo, than an evangelical atheist.

Alana on March 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Alana on March 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

and nothing more frightening than when they get power…as we’ve seen in the last century…

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Nothing much more tiresome, imo, than an evangelical atheist.
Alana on March 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM

hear hear to that…

angelwing34215 on March 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM

What if “radio” is so low-tech that other life forms forsook it billions of years ago in favor of more advanced communication methods?

Better yet, think how stupid we would feel if we learned that sign language is the accepted form of universal communication through a widely populated galaxy?

Bishop on March 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Ampersand on March 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Dude! Calm down! I’m the one that was aimed at, and I took it in the spirit of good humour it was delivered in.

it was delivered in good humour, right, AP?

Frozen Tex on March 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Frozen Tex on March 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

OK. You could be right. It just read as really bitchy to me.

Ampersand on March 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM

So in the video the guy thinks Atheist should speak up “more loudly” about their disbelief in God, even though most Atheist claim one of the big reasons they dislike Christians so much is because they (Christians)do speak up about their belief in God…Im just saying…

Badbrucskie on March 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM

You are aware that disproving the Bible, which is pretty easy to do, does not disprove the existance of a God or even multiple gods for that matter.

BklynNY on March 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

That is absolutely correct. God, if there be one, could have set things in motion on Earth millions of year ago, long before the Bible was written by a bunch of quacks, then left for some other part of the Universe at Warp 9 to do some stuff there. May not be back for another 100 million years, even if at Warp speed, if ever.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM

cryptojunkie on March 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM

There’s nothing inherently wrong with believing in things for which there is little or even no physical evidence. It depends on the beliefs. Believing is a fundamental part of human nature, including belief systems that are completely non-religious or irreligious or anti-religious. We cannot know everything or explain everything, so we have beliefs.

Loxodonta on March 30, 2009 at 10:42 PM

You are aware that disproving the Bible, which is pretty easy to do,

BklynNY on March 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

really? who has done that? I must have missed it…

how come no one has had any luck disproving the bible in all these millenia?

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM

The discussion is theism vs atheism. Einstein had no time for organized religion, but acknowledged what would now be called intelligent design. (Teleology)

“I am convinced that God doesn’t play dice.” Einstein (letter to Max Plank on Quantum Mechanics)

swede7 on March 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Isn’t there a sect, or some sort of group which believes Earth and this existence we lead is actually hell?

I don’t know, part of me thinks if there is a God, he created everything and then said, “Man…I really effed this up.”

Bishop on March 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Bishop on March 30, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Michio Kaku (a favorite of mine) explains in a few of his books how if any life exists out there the chances of them being anywhere close to humans on the evolutionary scale is pretty much nil. Mathematically speaking they would either be so young as a species or so old that they probably wouldn’t even notice us.

Ampersand on March 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Now that was pretty darn funny. Thanks for the humor break.

inviolet on March 30, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Loxodonta on March 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Maybe God was tinkering around in His laboratory, doing scientific experiments and stuff, and created life on Earth. Mrs. God came out and saw the God awful mess that God had made and told Him if he ever did anything like that again he would be sleeping in the garage for the rest of eternity and God promised that He would never again go down to his laboratory, and He hasn’t since.

Well, that’s my theory anyway. It’s certainly as good as any other.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Loxodonta on March 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM

to answer your question:

you rely on the assumption that all intelligent life sends radio signals. in all likelihood, radio type transmissions are only a short time in a civilization’s progression. we’re rapidly moving toward fiber optics.

secondly, a 50 year watch period would only catch signals from within 50 light years or so. that’s very little, in terms of the universe.

thirdly, separating signals from background noise is nearly impossible. we can barely do it with encrypted signals here on earth!

Seven Seas on March 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Bishop on March 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Just read your comment above and as you can see from my MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM I was thinking along the same lines.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Parts of the Bible can easily be disproved ,if you take them literally, like Noah’s ark for example. My point was not to say that Christianity is false, which it may or may not be, but that disproving parts of the literal Bible proves nothing about the existence of higher power/s.

BklynNY on March 30, 2009 at 10:58 PM

I read the first posting of this story one month ago tonight. The same night I began my confirmation classes for the Catholic church.

England really messed up. I mean, this is a country where people actually practice the Jedi code as a religion.

Sheez!

madmonkphotog on March 30, 2009 at 10:58 PM

BklynNY on March 30, 2009 at 10:58 PM

oh please…you’ve only ‘disproved’ it in your mind…you have no evidence to disprove it.

its like the darwiniacs with evolution and their reaction to intelligent design…Behe makes a great point…and then miller ‘refutes’ it by saying ‘nope it evolved’…and the darwiniacs all mouth the talking points…’it evolved because evolution is true’

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Ampersand on March 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

For that matter they could be all around us right now, screaming and jumping around trying to get our attention, we just don’t have the ability to recognize them in the form that they exist.

This sort of supposition could go on forever. I guess I’ll just take my chances and be the casual and cautious believer I am now; more respectful for what I don’t know than what I do.

Bishop on March 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Maybe I will journey over to jolly olde England someday and convert them to Frisbeeterianism.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Pope John Paul believed in evolution.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Pope John Paul believed in evolution.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

who cares?

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Bishop on March 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I dunno, could be I suppose, but I think first you should probably go check in the crawl space under your house for termites.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:07 PM

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Not the only thing he was wrong about.

swede7 on March 30, 2009 at 11:07 PM

who cares?

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM

No one who’s philosophy is a closed loop.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Not the only thing he was wrong about.

swede7 on March 30, 2009 at 11:07 PM

So you were for him before you were against him? Where have I heard similar before?

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM

No one who’s philosophy is a closed loop.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM

let me guess you’re on of those ‘open’ ‘tolerant’ types…

you know, the truly intolerant and closed minded…

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Your children will be atheists.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Ampersand on March 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Seems to like Allah has some kind of personal crisis of faith in his atheism. Desperately links to anything that would reinforce his atheist beliefs. Why so insecure, Allah?

Norwegian on March 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I don’t believe in papal infalibility, and I don’t believe he believed evolution anyway.

swede7 on March 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Your children will be atheists.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Maybe, but unlike you, at least it means we had sex — with a woman.

Blake on March 30, 2009 at 11:14 PM

let me guess you’re on of those ‘open’ ‘tolerant’ types…

you know, the truly intolerant and closed minded…

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Your philosophy is also uncoordinated.

BTW, you had better cross yourself a few times just in case your God hears you and thinks that you are knocking His “Intelligent Design”.

BTW 2, if the “come back” that I would guess you might answer back with is what I think it might be, don’t bother.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Maybe, but unlike you, at least it means we had sex — with a woman.

Blake on March 30, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Well now, AP could have a very life like blow-up doll of Meagan McCain, very life like, so you just never know for sure.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:18 PM

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM

my philosophy is uncoordinated??? did you read your post???

BTW: I’m not catholic, I don’t cross myself…get a clue.

BTW2: get some help…at least get back on the meds and take the tin-foil off

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Your standards for rational dialog are interesting. Yaaawwnn

Nite all.

swede7 on March 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM

swede7 on March 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Sounds like you are trying to cover both sides of the table there.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM

A toast to those who don’t take their religion seriously!

Yep, let’s toast Europeans. Because they don’t take their religion seriously, they look to political correctness and socialism to fill that void. Ever notice how most atheists are from the Far Left?

pearson on March 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Seven Seas on March 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I appologize for the length of this response.

Radio transmissions are the easiest form of long distance communication known to be available. And even if all earath based communication is transformed to fiber, we will still need to communicate via radio with our satellites in orbit.

To quote Einstein: God always takes the simplest way. God may be subtle, but he isn’t malicious.

Please remember that what we are seeing in the night sky with our naked eyes is not what the universe currently “looks like.” We are seeing light that is a second old from the Moon, a few years old from the nearest stars and 2.5 million years old from the Andromeda Galaxy, and so forth. So, as far as we know, the Andromeda Galaxy no longer exists. All we see is what it looked like 2.5 million years ago.

Similarly, the extra-terrestrial radio waves we hear today were created by sources less than fifty light years away and by sources millions of light years away.

We are seeing and listening into the very distant past. So, there really is a nearly 50 year gap in intelligent radio transmissions in the universe, that stretches out in physical space only about 50 light years distance, but that gap stretches backwards to the beginning of time.

Here, I agree with you in part. However, the SETI project is quite sophisticated in its ability to decipher intelligent radio transmissions from background noise, and has been for many, many years.

So, I would be happy to be proven wrong by the announcement of a discovery, but at this point I believe it is increasingly unlikely that extra-terrestrial intelligence will be found. And my belief is getting more supporting evidence every year, while the belief that “they are out there” still has no supporting evidence.

Loxodonta on March 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Your standards for rational dialog are interesting. Yaaawwnn

Nite all.

swede7 on March 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Don’t forget to say your prayers. You never know, tonight could be the night, the one night in your whole life, when He is listening.

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:22 PM

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I am not trying to offend you but I think geology and well common logic can disprove a literal word for word acceptance of Noah’s ark. This does not mean that there wasn’t a real life Noah and a real life flood, I’m not saying that at all. My point was only that disproving parts of the Bible, such as a man being able to put every single species of animals on the planet onto one boat, does not disprove everything about either Christianity or any other religious belief.

BklynNY on March 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM

It’s a bad idea. Muslims regard Christians and Jews as bad but atheists and polytheists as worse, and last time I checked they have a large, and growing, Muslim minority that, on it’s current trajectory, will become a majority.

DFCtomm on March 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM

A toast to those who don’t take their religion seriously!

I now I truly understand the title “HOTAIR”.

Zaire67 on March 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM

An older Jewish man was having trouble with his son, so he went to his Rabbi. He explained the issues his grown son was causing and asked the Rabbi his advice.

The Rabbi said, “Funny you should mention it. I too have a son. When we were having problems, I prayed to G-d and asked his advice.”

“What happened?” asked the old man.

“G-d answered my prayers. He appeared to me in a great light and said “Funny you should mention it. I too have a Son…”

Laura in Maryland on March 30, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Your children will be atheists.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

If your children become atheists then your grandchildren will become Muslim.

DFCtomm on March 30, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Give me one scientific spec of proof that he does exist.

I think the Book of Daniel comes to closest.

Daniel 9:25 So know and understand From the issuing of the command [0] to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until an anointed one, a prince arrives [1] , there will be a period of seven weeks and sixty-two weeks [2].

It will again be built, with plaza and moat, but in distressful times.

Now after the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one will be cut off and have nothing.

As for the city and the sanctuary, the people of the coming prince will destroy them. But his end will come speedily like a flood. Until the end of the war that has been decreed there will be destruction.

[0] – The command to rebuild Jerusalem and its walls is in Nehemiah 2

2:1 Then in the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes. [...] The king responded, “What is it you are seeking?” “If the king is so inclined and if your servant has found favor in your sight, dispatch me to Judah, to the city with the graves of my ancestors, so that I can rebuild it.” [...] So the king granted me these requests

The 20th year of Artaxerxes was the Jewish date Nisan 1, 3316 (Julian March 14 445BC)

[1] Messiah means “Annointed one”. The coming prince is Jesus

[2] The period of 7 and 62 weeks is referring to weeks of years, or sevens of years, which turns out to be 49 years + 434 years = 483 years. Multiplying the years by 360 days (the length of the year at the time of Daniel) you get 173,880 days.

Jesus entered Jerusalem as King on Palm Sunday April 6, AD 323

It is exactly 173,880 days been these events.

March 14, 445 BC to April 6, 32AD = 477 years, 24 days

Minus one year because there is no year zero = 476 years, 24 days

Convert to days: 476 yrs * 365 days + 24 days
= 173764 days

Add leap years – 476/4 = 119 leap years

173764 days + 119 leap year days = 173883 days

Over this time span, the calender needs an adjustment of 3 days. 173,880 days

Jesus arrived on the precise day Daniel predicted hundreds of years in the past.

======================

Regarding the rest of it:

Jesus showed up after the 62 weeks of years after the first 7 weeks. He was rejected by the Jewish people and put to death.

The coming prince in the 2nd paragraph is a reference to the End Time Antichrist.. who I believe to be the Islamic Mahdi.

The people who did the destruction of Jerusalem after the death of Jesus were the natives of the region that Rome had used for their legions.. including Arabs, Asyrians.. the people of the future Muslim Antichrist, thier Mahdi.

VinceP1974 on March 30, 2009 at 11:35 PM

A toast to those who don’t take their religion seriously!

I now I truly understand the title “HOTAIR”.

Zaire67 on March 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM

God is a comedian playing to an audience to afraid to laugh.
- Voltaire

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:37 PM

A toast to those who don’t take their religion seriously!

God has a sense of humor. Our love for Him and each other should be taken seriously, even if we don’t take others and ourselves seriously.

Shalom!

Laura in Maryland on March 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM

DFCtomm on March 30, 2009 at 11:34 PM

G-d Forbid! Ppppttth. Pppptth. Pppppttth.

Laura in Maryland on March 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Even god needs paperwork filled out these days.

lorien1973 on March 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Laura in Maryland

Thanks for the laughter. Bless you.

Loxodonta on March 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM

God is a comedian playing to an audience to afraid to laugh.
- Voltaire

MB4 on March 30, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Really MB4, you’ve said some insulting things before, but comparing God to Al Franken?

Too low even for you.

BKennedy on March 30, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Loxodonta on March 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM

You’re welcome. Good people of faith and faithful people of goodwill need to stick together. I love that one because it reminds me of the common roots of Judeo and Christian Faith (and was courtesy of a close Jewish friend).

Laura in Maryland on March 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Your children will be atheists.

No, they won’t.

Child.

You-Eh-Vee on March 31, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Laura in Maryland on March 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I appreciate your point about goodwill and sticking together. I’ve known people of many different religions, as well as atheists, agnostics and deists, and many have had goodwill, some not very much to just a little. And there are always some who are quite malicious. I don’t know why, but there are.

And, humor is so important. I don’t know how I’d survive without it. I love Jewish humor.

Loxodonta on March 31, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Turn about is fair play. To our Chosen friends, enjoy! Christians and atheists, beware:

I had trouble finding a decent copy, so this live one will have to do.

Laura in Maryland on March 31, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Religious foodfight? Whatever.

Voltaire was not an atheist. He believed in God.

On the other hand, the great atheist philospher Karl Marx was not burdened by any such superstition.

Was the very impressive Mr. Marx smarter and wiser than Voltaire?

Perhaps.

However I do not believe that atheists are more ‘rational’ than Christians. They say they are, yes. Who really knows?

aengus on March 31, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Your children will be atheists.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

If your children become atheists then your grandchildren will become Muslim.

DFCtomm on March 30, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Truest comment in this thread. The scariest too.

Maquis on March 31, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Laura in Maryland

Hell for ALL the lawyers, Germans, French, atheists and Christians might be a little extreme. Surely there must be at least some Germans, French, atheists and Christians who don’t deserve eternal damnation. At least I hope so, because I am just like AllahPundit. For a long time I was a “cultural atheist” before I became a Catholic. Well, except that my situation is exactly the opposite of AllahPundit’s, it’s quite similar. (Nuance!)

And, as to that claim about the Jews being right, well you don’t have to be Jewish.

Loxodonta on March 31, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Was the very impressive Mr. Marx smarter and wiser than Voltaire?

Perhaps.

aengus on March 31, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Edison was smarter than the both of them. He certainly contributed more positive to the world anyway.

I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious ideas of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God. So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake. Religion is all bunk.
- Thomas Edison

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

The entire concept of “religion” is the greatest scam ever devised by man.

Rusty Bill on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

The entire concept of “religion” is the greatest scam ever devised by man.

Rusty Bill on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Global warming is a close second.

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Loxodonta on March 31, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Too funny. And as for the whole infernal eternal damnation gig, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, not even an adulterous, French lawyer.

Laura in Maryland on March 31, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Your children will be atheists.

Allahpundit on March 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM

If your children become atheists then your grandchildren will become Muslim.

DFCtomm on March 30, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Only the stupid ones.

Perhaps….the memetics of xianity are so inferior that both atheism and Islam are more competitive, and xianity cannot survive without brainwashing indoctrination of your reps in the critical 12 to 17 age range.
;)

strangelet on March 31, 2009 at 1:11 AM

That is a Dawkins quote….

Memes are competitive.

The free marketplace of ideas.

strangelet on March 31, 2009 at 1:18 AM

The entire concept of “religion” is the greatest scam ever devised by man.

Rusty Bill on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

I know that many people who claim to be religious are no more than scam artists. And much evil has been done in the name of religion. However, we’re not all evil, and many religious people have done a lot of good for this world.

I don’t think atheists, agnostics or deists are inherently evil.

However, what good has state sponsored atheism demonstrated anywhere? The Soviet Union? Communist China, Mongolia and Albania? And Cambodia under Pol Pot? As near as I can tell, none of their belief systems resulted in any good, but instead resulted in severe restrictions on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Loxodonta on March 31, 2009 at 1:21 AM

However, what good has state sponsored atheism demonstrated anywhere?

Loxodonta on March 31, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Every bit as bad as state sponsored religion. Both the same totalitarian show just under a different tent.

MB4 on March 31, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Laura in Maryland on March 31, 2009 at 1:02 AM

I’ve lived through enough here that I would not wish hell on any person.

But lawyers? Are you sure they don’t deserve it?

Really?

Loxodonta on March 31, 2009 at 1:29 AM

I take it the ceremony consists of stepping into a roaring bonfire and screaming “I debaptize me” three times in front of your spouse just as fast as you can, and then dropping and rolling.

After all clicking on a button on a web page seems waaay too easy.

unclesmrgol on March 31, 2009 at 1:42 AM

McShamnesty’s daughter is so fat, she will have to be de-baptised in Shamu’s tank.

csdeven on March 31, 2009 at 1:47 AM

The cell wall and cellular motor are the best evidence we have of intelligent design. Neither had any reason whatsoever to evolve.

csdeven on March 31, 2009 at 1:54 AM

The entire concept of “religion” is the greatest scam ever devised by man.

Rusty Bill on March 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Loxodonta on March 31, 2009 at 1:21 AM

I agree that religionists have, on occasion, done good things – as have those who don’t buy into the mythology. Nor do I think that religionists are inherently evil. I do believe that they are horribly misguided, however – particularly when they attempt to use legislation and regulation to force their beliefs on everybody else.

Rusty Bill on March 31, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Seven Seas

Incorrect statement. If you statement was true, we would only be seeing light from stars that are (age of earth), however we can see light from stars much further away. Radio waves could have traveled 1 million years and would just now be reaching our earth.

PrettyD_Vicious on March 31, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Rusty Bill on March 31, 2009 at 1:56 AM

As does everyone else in the United States. Which is still better than China and other countries which dictates what its citizens are to believe. The majority of citizens has the right to set standards for its citizens. In our republic, we have debates to choose our nation’s path. If one does not like the chosen path, one is allowed to leave. Compare with Cuba that forces its citizens to remain.

PrettyD_Vicious on March 31, 2009 at 2:05 AM

I take it the ceremony consists of stepping into a roaring

After all clicking on a button on a web page seems waaay too easy.

unclesmrgol on March 31, 2009 at 1:42 AM

You could probably make money with a ceremony like that!

My daughter and I were talking about that article this morning… And by the way Allah so far so good with my deeply believing children and sweet little granchildren…

Any way my daughter brought up the point that you would think a true unbeliever would just walk away. If they really don’t believe that baptism has anything to do with their life hereafter why bother to denounce it? I mean if you really don’t believe why does it bother you so very much if others do believe. What harm does it do to you that your parents had you baptised? It must be simple rebellion against God. That’s been happening at least since Cain.

I personally don’t believe in Atheists.

Convincing yourself He doesn’t exist doesn’t change the fact that you still have a memory of God deep inside. I think many would like to think that this life has no meaning or purpose but they know in their heart of hearts it does. I think it may be possible to push it from your conscience mind but I simply don’t believe it is possible to deny your divine origin. I don’t think anyone is capable of lying to themselves that deeply.

I don’t believe in Atheists. I’m sorry if that offends you but I don’t.

I do believe in Agnostics. I respect the honesty of someone who calls themselves Agnostic.

At any rate this development is very very sad. I feel sorry for the sorrow and anger these people must feel.

Plus I’m pretty mad at Europe because they are just going to let Islam come a destroy the culture of my ancestors with only a slight whimper protest!

petunia on March 31, 2009 at 2:10 AM

Also, you all who are looking for a physical manifestation of God in space… If you know what you are looking for you don’t have to look nearly that far to see plenty of evidence. Even inside your own heart.

Every impluse to do good is evidence of God. Every color, every plant, each and every grain of sand is evidence of God. Each breeze and shaft of light. Look at the nightime sky it is easy to see God. Just have eyes to see. Have a desire to see. A desire to have faith, and let that desire grow in you. It is the light of Christ that makes it possible to see anything at all. You make it far too hard.

Just be still.

Sit and be still. The silence will bear testimony of God.

petunia on March 31, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Sad. Just sad.

American Elephant on March 31, 2009 at 2:58 AM

What is with the militancy of atheists? I have never met an atheist who doesnt have some major chip on their shoulder about religion. In other words, every one Ive met is an atheist because they’re angry. Bill Maher is an atheist because hes pissed that religion tells him he cant take drugs and screw little girls. Gays are pissed because religion tells them not to do each other. I have yet to meet an atheist who isnt simply a pissed off deviant of one sort or another. But then again, I suppose someone who isnt a pissed off deviant, but simply doesnt believe in a higher power has no reason to be loud-mouthed and obnoxious about it.

American Elephant on March 31, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Rusty Bill on March 31, 2009 at 1:56 AM

The only people I see attempting to use legislation & regulation to force their beliefs on everyone else are Muslims and people who are either atheists or who hate Christians and Jews for other reasons.
I see no evidence of either Christians or Jews attempting to use legislation and regulation to force their beliefs on everyone else in the entire history of this country.
Looks like Rusty Bill really is rusty.

Jenfidel on March 31, 2009 at 4:51 AM

Well, let them.

Wheat from chaff, anyway.

The Father knows who are His.

“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.” -Jesus

It’s the gospel which saves sinners…not water. Christianity 101.

Mommypundit on March 31, 2009 at 6:16 AM

wait till the atheist unblinkingly stares into the abyss, when distraction isn’t available, this is why atheists are chickenshit, they are afraid of possibility.

JohnBissell on March 31, 2009 at 6:22 AM

American Elephant on March 31, 2009 at 3:08 AM

much of it is emotional and based on perceived inconsistencies in the Bible…and probably a really shoddy experience with “bible teachers.” A lot of well-meaning individuals lead these classes and botch things up pretty badly.

I left the church for a LONG time…actually, I just left the faith I grew up in. I was sick to death of the rapture-speak and the squishy anti-intellectualism and willful skimming over hard truths of scripture. I would ask questions about free will or other blatant truths just right there…and I was told I was in a crisis of faith! Well, no kidding! ha!

No one was able to tell me how to defend this information against the crusaders in the public school system…it was just, “Listen to Christian music” or “go to church.” I grew pretty skeptical, particularly when I was watching hypocrisy left and right.

So, I took the Augustinian route and debauched myself and had a lot of fun…until I didn’t…and I read a book by Ravi Zacharias called, “Jesus Among other Gods” and was astounded. I had never, ever, ever, ever, ever heard a Christian TALK like that.

Truth is out there…and if you are chosen by Him, His Spirit will lead you into this truth. If you are curious, don’t put it off. Actually, GET CURIOUS!!!

Mommypundit on March 31, 2009 at 6:23 AM

I am saddened that Michelle Malkin has allowed her website to become the soapbox of an anti-Christian bigot.

Phildorex on March 31, 2009 at 6:39 AM

right4life on March 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM

uhhhh…because there is physical proof that evolution takes place.

bentman78 on March 31, 2009 at 6:48 AM