Video: Oakland salutes its four murdered police officers

posted at 1:15 pm on March 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

Clip via Noel Sheppard, who’s assembled an exhaustive video round-up on the murders at Newsbusters. He’s got footage of the infamous Marxist rally in support of the murderer over there too, but I couldn’t bear to watch it let alone post it. Content yourself with this, and with the LA Times’s evocative story on yesterday’s memorial service:

A large blue curtain parted and the coffins were rolled out, one by one. Each was escorted by officers as pallbearers and by immediate family. A bagpipe and drum corps, composed mainly of San Francisco police officers, played a medley of “Dawning of the Day” and “Going Home.”

The last coffin to emerge was that of Sakai who, among other duties, served as a K-9 officer.

When his casket had been placed in a row with the others, each before their respective family members, Sakai’s partner, a German shepherd named Doc, was brought in on a leash. The dog stood at the casket and barked several times before being led away.

Officers from all over North America — Canadian Mounties, too — showed up, a welcome gesture of solidarity in a city where respect for the force has suffered of late. This will change that, but what a price.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The City of Oakland is no different than L.A….

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I take it you rooted for the Symbionese Liberation Army in its dust-up with the LAPD?

unclesmrgol on March 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM

And BTW, I’m not losing one second of sleep over that ingrate Mixon getting blown away!

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Nope! I think Mixon and his sympathizers would have huh?

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 6:08 PM

What do folks think of that whole Ryan Moats thing?

DeathToMediaHacks on March 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Seems like you are attempting to equivalence Mr. Moats’ and Mr. Mixon’s situation. Why?

unclesmrgol on March 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM

My heart goes out to the families and loved ones of those poor police officers. May their rest be gentle and may they find comfort in the arms of Christ.

As for the piece of trash who killed them and those scum who marched in his behalf–may they all rot and burn in Hell for eternity.

As for DTMH–as far as I am concerned, that, as far as I am concerned, no longer exists. It is a nothing–a cipher and I will henceforth regard it as so.

Matt Helm on March 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I just get offended when I hear that “they deserved it”.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on March 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM

As well you should.

It takes a very cold-hearted b@st@rd to claim that 4 policemen doing their duty “deserved” to die.

In fact, it’s the same kind of thinking that causes “dozens” of people to call the evil punk a “hero.”

Religious_Zealot on March 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Anarchy. Just like Obama’s buddy; ayers.

Johan Klaus on March 28, 2009 at 6:14 PM

And don’t say anything about the police huh?

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Really interesting how nothing here is said about Illegal Aliens killing Americans huh? I think we’re geting the picture here…

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I’m glad to see our Mounties attending,makes me feel
that Canada is indeed a loyal friend,and partner with
our great neighbour America!

Been following this through the week,its sad,a routine traffic stop,and the bad guys were armed with more fire
power!

Prayers to families of these fine Police Officers in
the Line of Duty!

Any group,or individual that party’s over slain officers,
or even Military casualities,is an inhuman evil shell of
a person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on March 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Maybe because this particular thread is about 4 policemen who died in the line of duty.

If you don’t like that, start your own blog.

Religious_Zealot on March 28, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Having my “morning cup-o-joe” before I go to work and saw this thread. Thank you Allahpundit. Sweet_Thang, remember to hug your son everyday before he goes to work and remind him to wear his vest. To all of you who have expressed your kindness and prayers to the OPD Officers and thier families, from a brother in blue, I say thank you. To the trolls and others who would besmirch these fallen officers to promote some twisted ideology, I say: next ime you need help who you gonna call? Because when you dial 911, we will still be there even for you.

ChicagoBlues on March 28, 2009 at 6:32 PM

May Mixon and his “Supporters” rot in hell.

nelsonknows on March 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 6:25 PM

It could be because Mr. Mixon wasn’t an illegal alien (or even an Illegal Alien, for that matter), and hence this is not the right forum for that sort of discussion.

A lot of us think that you state the killings of the officers to be justified because a policy with which you disagree, and which has nothing to do with why these four officers died, was promulgated by the Oakland City Council. That certainly diminishes your standing on the topic of this post considerably, because few of the rest of us think likewise, even those who might agree with your stance on illegal immigration.

I would recommend that you pull you dogs out of this particular hunt, and wait for one in which they stand a chance.

unclesmrgol on March 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM

God rest the souls in peace eternal whom have ended their watch before their work was done and watch over those who are still working the beat endeavoring to keep our communities safe and peaceful.

Blessed are the peace makers.

SilverStar830 on March 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I doubt any of us here are.

unclesmrgol on March 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Blessed are the peace makers.

SilverStar830 on March 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Sanctuary Cities are NOT safe and peaceful.

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM

“The Police Force is an Occupying Army in an African
American Community”!
—————————-
Question,

How and the hell,with a statement such as that,does one
even come close to having any sorta dialogue with anyperson
who harbours those feelings,and thoughts!

Why is it,irregardless of colour,thugs who gun down police
officers,and especially with an ongoing criminal background
are ‘the victims’,hailed as hero’s or martyrs by their own!

canopfor on March 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

How and the hell,with a statement such as that,does one
even come close to having any sorta dialogue with anyperson
who harbours those feelings,and thoughts!

You don’t, hence the endless violence.

BallisticBob on March 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM

canopfor on March 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

You’ve lost me. How does Lew Rockwell have anything to do with this?

unclesmrgol on March 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM

How and the hell,with a statement such as that,does one
even come close to having any sorta dialogue with anyperson
who harbours those feelings,and thoughts!

You can’t–pure and simple. They’re so filled with hate that it’s impossible.

Matt Helm on March 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM

The fact that all the pols who had nothing to do with Oakland had to make an appearance there and spew nonsense made me hurl.

The Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) are not the same police agency as the Oakland Police.

Blake on March 28, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Most large urban cities have high crime areas. But, except for that, Oakland is a truly beautiful place to live and work. People who write it off as a hell hole don’t know what they are talking about.

Blake on March 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM

What an absolutely beautiful service…I had never seen the Missing Man formation done by helicopters; it was even more moving, if that’s possible.
My son-in-law is a rookie police officer; we live in a fairly small community, but the towns around us have been experiencing an increase in drug and gang related crime. I’m awfully proud of my son in law – but when things like this happen, it scares me to death. You just never know who’s in the next car.
Mixon, on the other hand, was trash. I do feel for his family – it’s hard to lose a loved one – but the protestations, marches, and claims that Mixon was a “hero” absolutely sicken me. Dammit, he shot four police officers BEFORE he was, himself, killed! How the hell is that “heroic”, in any possible sense of the word?
I’m so tired of hearing about how “the man is keeping so-and-so down”…those officers were doing their jobs, period. If Mixon had been white, or Asian, or Martian, for that matter, and he had acted in a similar fashion, the police would have done the exact same thing. DON’T shoot at law enforcement – it’s always a bad idea.

uncivilized on March 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

You’ve lost me.

unclesmrgol on Mar 28,2009 at 7:07PM.

unclesmrgol: Never mentioned Lew Rockwell!

Btw,who the h#ll is he,anyhow!

canopfor on March 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Maybe a criminal will kill Phil Gordon on an American highway. Wouldn’t be a big loss…

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Blake on March 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Sorry but you are wrong. Oakland probably gets some unfair blame for being the ugly sister to San Francisco but from my persepective any city in California is a hell hole. There are good people but far more assholes. That holds true if you are talking about San Diego, LA, or Sodom-by-the Bay.

highhopes on March 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM

When they’re in your back yard, Boyd Long will be there toconfirm, “there are no borders, especially the fence that protects your house”.

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Illegal immigration had nothing…

…I repeat NOTHING to do with what happened.

Anyone trying to MAKE a connection is just like the evil supporters of Mixon.

Each are trying to further their own agenda through the blood of 4 officers who were simply doing their duty.

Religious_Zealot on March 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Religious_Zealot on March 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Those 60-some-odd idiots probably think the 12-year-old girl Mixon raped the week before deserved it, too.

Spiny Norman on March 28, 2009 at 9:20 PM

RZ, criminality is what this is about. Haven’t heard one criticism from you about criminals roaming our streets. Wonder why?

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Criminals roaming our streets being protected by politicians, police, and idiots like you! Fool!!!!

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 9:33 PM

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Because, troll, THIS thread is about honoring the deaths of 4 police officers killed in the line of duty.

Honor, though, seems to be a concept beyond your comprehension.

You both attempt to further your own goals with and through the blood of these 4 slain heroes.

As I said, you’re no different than the people who marched in support of Mixon.

Religious_Zealot on March 28, 2009 at 9:35 PM

“Who’s assembled an exhaustive video round-up on the murders at Newsbusters. He’s got footage of the infamous Marxist rally in support of the murderer over there too, but I couldn’t bear to watch it let alone post it. Content…”

Seems to be more than what you’re saying. However, this Mixon clown, if he’d have survived, would have deserved what Tookie Williams got…and that would have been AFTER an ass-whippin’!!!! Just my opinion.

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Don’t. I’d be surprised if they are much better than him. And since he’s been in prison most of the time, it’s not like they have much of a relationship with him. They may also be relieved he is dead because people like him are mean SOBs.

Blake on March 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM

highhopes on March 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM

And you are full of shit.

Blake on March 28, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Blake on March 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Looks to me like Mixon’s friends are ACORN and SEIU minnions…

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Anyone seen Sharpton or Jackson expressing outrage at the blacks marching in supporter of the murderer? Hmmm…

RightWinged on March 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM

The sad dog bark kills me…

DeathToMediaHacks on March 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Even those dogs have more honor than you .

dave264 on March 28, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Just like Oakland and ‘Frisco….

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM

No information was available about which families made the request or their reasoning for it. At a press briefing in advance of Friday’s funeral, police Capt. Paul Figueroa said the families were intricately involved in planning the service. He did not say how speakers were selected.

What everyone is missing is that race had everything to do with this. The families of these men did not want the Mayor to speak because he Supports those seeking reparations, black law, black jury nullification, and all the Black Marxist crap. We got a peek with Reverend Wright but America then slammed the door and won’t address the issue now. The mayor of OK is as bad as Kwame of Detroit and the White police feel caught in the middle. Thank God they had the strength to tell the mayor to shut up. Pity they had to even say it.

Religious Zealot was scanning the blog for a racial comments, .

GunRunner on March 29, 2009 at 1:46 AM

My guess is that the family thought that Dellums would use the podium at their loved one’s funeral in order to make some statements that were political and about HIMSELF (like HEY, I do so much when I really do nothing) and they told him to pound salt. This was a time to honor those men and the department, not to serve Dellum’s political ends with a sound bite designed for the 6 o’clock news. Dellums is nothing but a political animal. He is no friend to the police, they know it and they were not about to suffer through listening to him act like he was on day like that. At their family members funeral, on national television. I think not.

As to Oscar Grant? THAT WAS NOT OPD. BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) Police are not Oakland Police Officers. TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT AGENCIES. OPD had nothing to do with that incident. NOTHING. ZIP. NADA. But that doesn’t stop it from repeatedly being stated erroneously.

God bless the families of the fallen officers. God bless the officers in the OPD, they have a difficult job and they do it to the best of their ability.

GeeWhiz on March 29, 2009 at 10:29 AM

How do you figure they’re seperate? The police work at the behest of the mayor and the city council. Get a clue!!!!!

RealDemocrat on March 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I’m probably too late on this thread for Real-Dumb-Shiite to read my response to his above comment, but I feel it deserves on nonetheless!

First my deepest and most sincere condolences to the officer’s families. My prayers go out to them and their fallen loved ones, may they rest in peace.

As many have pointed out to Real-Dumb-Shiite the police officers that were senselessly murdered were just doing their job, police officers are not involved in policy making, that is the job of the Oakland bureaucrats, not the police officers! Police officers are tasked with enforcing the law!

Perhaps this is why the Mayor was asked by the families not to attend the funeral, not much is known about why the families would make such a request but it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that they made such a request because they recognized and are acutely aware that the Mayor’s policies (race baiting, demonization of the OPD, etc.) fomented this type of attitude toward the OPD amongst the criminal element in Oakland.

So your comments are not only insensitive and callous, but they are misplaced, your outrage should be directed at the murdering animal scum that perpetrated this heinous act and the race baiting Oakland bureaucrats that foment the victim/race baiting ideology that created the cesspool that is Oakland, and I know what a cesspool Oakland is, I grew up in the East Bay and currently work for a company that has its corporate office just a stones throw from the Oakland Coliseum.

Also, as someone that grew up in the East Bay and currently working for a company in the East Bay I have witnessed first hand the type of victim/race-baiting/entitlement mentality the Oakland bureaucrats and “victim” organizations have created and it is sickening!

Here’s an excellent example from direct experience; I am the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager for the company, a company that is very diverse employing Asians, Hispanics, blacks and whites. We had a black employee that lied on his employment application when he applied to be a commercial driver to transport hazardous chemicals (the company I work for is a chemical company).

It turns out this potential employee had a previous DUI, yet he did not disclose it on the application as required. Normally someone that lies on his or her application would not be hired, but he was hired anyway (I wasn’t working for the company at the time or I would of never hired him). However, had he been upfront and honest I would have hired him, first because he was upfront and honest about it, secondly; many good people make mistakes in their lives, and third; most everyone deserves a second chance, but the fact he lied is telling of his lack of integrity.

It gets better though, over the next couple of years this individual was banned from delivering to two of our biggest customers, one because he instigated a fight with another driver while at their facility and a second time (at another customer’s facility) because he didn’t want to wait to unload his delivery and instead dropped several pallets of hazardous materials in the middle of the parking lot next to a storm drain. As I previously mentioned I would of never hired this person in the first place after he lied on his application and I would have fired him after his first incident of being banned from a customer’s property, but the powers that be overruled me!

Also, as part of my job it is necessary I document employee non-compliance in regard to EHS requirements, this individual had so many documented incidents of non-compliance with EHS requirements that I gave him 3 days off without pay and he did not receive a safety bonus at the end of the year as his safety performance and lack of safety responsibility to himself and the company was to say the least horrendous!

His response to being given 3 days off without pay and not getting a safety bonus was not one of self examination and an honest approach of what he could do to improve his safety performance but instead this individual chose to play the victim, decrying how unfair it was to take money from his pocket and essentially accused me of being racist!

The company eventually fired him after learning he had lost his license due to another DUI, something which he failed to mention even after being arrested and convicted of the DUI yet he continued to drive a commercial vehicle transporting hazardous materials until I received notification from the DMV that his license had been revoked, yet he had been driving for the previous two weeks on a revoked license and didn’t think it was important to mention!

But it gets better, after being fired this person had the stones to take the company to the California Labor Board to contest his firing…talk about nerve! Yep, he was just a victim of THE MAN! Of course he lost his case and his firing was deemed appropriate…duh! Of course it helped that I had reams of documentation proving without a doubt the guy was given many chances to change his ways yet refused to take his safety responsibilities seriously, something that was an integral part of his job!

This is just one of the several individuals I have had to deal with at our Oakland location, there have been several others (as well as the above individual) that could be case studies and poster people for the victim hood/entitlement mentality that many organizations (ACORN, etc.) and people (Rev Al, et al) that have and continue to produce this victim/entitlement class of people, the VERY SAME type of people that would conduct such a rally in order to hold up a murdering pedophile/rapist as some sort of hero! It’s truly sickening having to deal with it, it’s so bad that I dread going to our Oakland location!

Again, my deepest and most sincere condolences to the officer’s families and my prayers go out to them and their fallen loved ones, may they rest in peace and may the animal scum that did this rot in HELL!

Liberty or Death on March 29, 2009 at 1:42 PM