Video: FEMA camps conspiracy theory debunked by … Glenn Beck?

posted at 7:30 pm on March 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Screw Loose Change, observing that any man capable of driving the Alex Jones crowd into a lather with stuff like this can’t be all bad. I agree. Sure, I may goof on him from time to time, and yeah, I might play the occasional drinking game while watching his show, but I give him credit for performing a public service here. And for his taste in debunkers: Popular Mechanics did a bang-up job tearing down 9/11 Truth. Can’t wait for the full report on this next Monday.

Update: Some people are having trouble getting the video to play. If so, try watching it on its YouTube page or else follow the link above to SLC and watch their version.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

getalife on March 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM

1. An ignorant person can learn.
2. A fool can be kept from harming themselves.
3. A troll is in denial or is only in it to hear themselves type.

…which are you?

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on March 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I ran ALL the appliances, too, just to cancel out the enviro-weinies.

Right_of_Attila on March 28, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I’ve got my central air running and it’s only 40 degree’s…..and snowing.

Knucklehead on March 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM

If they aren’t elected then that is your fault, don’t blame people who research conspiracies.

True_King on March 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I’ve been quite the conspiracy theory buff since I was a kid, which allows me to continually keep up on the total lack of evidence upon which every such theory is based.

Pushing forth these things, be they as comparably benign as the Obama BC theory, or as far as the New World Order/Rothchild/Rockefeller/Bildeberg/Trilateral/etc tripe, just marginalizes us every time a conservative runs, especially ones like Ron Paul who foster this crap.

MadisonConservative on March 28, 2009 at 9:45 PM

My lights are on now, just in case I miss it. It’s still a little light, but I want the lights to shine through.

Bambi on March 28, 2009 at 9:47 PM

MadisonConservative on March 28, 2009 at 9:45 PM

You ever listen to Michael Medved’s show on conspiracy day? It can quite entertaining.

goat on March 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM

hey Goat,
don’t be so sure about Ruby Ridge.

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM

goat on March 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Medved used to be my favorite of all the AM talkers until he went all “I <3 MCCAIN”.
I liked Glenn Beck back then but now he’s taken Medved’s place.
(and I even had a premium Medved website membership too!)

however to address your question yes Medved’s conspiracy day is hilarious

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on March 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Wrong link try this one

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 9:56 PM

MadisonConservative on March 28, 2009 at 9:45 PM

It’s silly to blame conspiracy buffs for the failings of conservatives within the GOP. The GOP keeps giving us bad choices, hence their bad luck. I think your blame is directed at the wrong people. Please look at the GOP and the way the primaries are done.

As for the Trilateral/CFR stuff, here’s what Barry Goldwater had to say about them:
“I believe that the Council on Foreign Relations and its ancillary elitist groups are indifferent to communism. They have no ideological anchors. IN THEIR PURSUIT OF A NEW WORLD ORDER, THEY ARE PREPARED TO DEAL WITHOUT PREJUDICE WITH A COMMUNIST STATE, A SOCIALIST STATE, a democratic state, a monarchy, an oligarchy – its all the same to them. ”
Check out this link, it shows alot of what Barry Goldwater had to say about the shadow government.

I’m sure you can see that we are moving towards global government, controlled by the international banking system. The history and founding of the Fed alone should be enough to make open minded people pause and consider who really runs this country.

God Bless

True_King on March 28, 2009 at 9:56 PM

duh

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Oops.

Here’s the link to Barry Goldwater’s take on the conspiracy. He obviously believed in it and had experienced first hand their intent. Link

True_King on March 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM

True_King on March 28, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Maybe if you SHOUT LOUD ENOUGH, someone will listen. …

…just not that sure about who

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Wrong link try this one

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Your “wrong” link was quite enlightening. Thanks for the mistake.

A secret list of 45 Muslims. I wonder when the MSM picks up on this one?

Knucklehead on March 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM

True_King = apacylyps

I am thinking. Lotso similarities.
but I aint no sherlock holmes.

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on March 28, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Thanks for that first link, jerrytbg. That was most enlightening.

From that link:

CHICAGO — In a bid to get more Muslim Americans working in the Obama administration, a book with resumes of 45 of the nation’s most qualified — Ivy League grads, Fortune 500 executives and public servants, all carefully vetted — has been submitted to the White House.

The effort, driven by community leaders and others, including U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., was bumped up two weeks because White House officials heard about the venture, said J. Saleh Williams, program coordinator for the Congressional Muslim Staffers Association, who sifted through more than 300 names.

“It was mostly under the radar,” Williams said. “We thought it would put (the president) in a precarious position. We didn’t know how closely he wanted to appear to be working with the Muslim American community.”

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM

WastelandMan on March 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM

I haven’t been listening to Medved the last few weeks either, I have been listening to Tom Sullivan since he’s more of a money guy for economic info.

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I DON’T do Stormfront, they are racist wackos of the first degree and I don’t even want a link to their site in my memory banks. It is groups like that as Madison Conservative pointed out that give the GOP and conservatives in general a false image as being racist.

goat on March 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM

What was that Williams guy thinking, anyway? Doesn’t he know that the accepted pronunciation is now communitay?

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I’ll never buy into all that Bilderburger/etc blather either.

goat on March 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM

sorry Goat,
It may have been a bad link but the story was still real…

Knucklehead on March 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Yea…how about that…that was a link I sent to a friend…
It was O/T for this thread… but still an interesting read…

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 10:18 PM

OT about the lights out thing:

At first I was thinking that you folks turning them all on were nearly as silly as those turning them all off….

Then I remembered how sad and furious I was near the end of Atlas Shrugged when all the lights of the world went off. (Except for out at the Gulch, Wyatts Torch and Ragnar’s ship, etc.)

Now, if for no other reason than to keep Ayn from rolling in her grave, My lights, electric heaters and even the stove are all on.

LegendHasIt on March 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I’ll never buy into all that Bilderburger/etc blather either.

goat on March 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Bilderburger sounds like a great name for burger joint in D.C.

thomasaur on March 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Um, I’m pretty sure I told you Beck was in the business of DEBUNKING FEMA camps in one of your other Beck mocking posts. Actually, I think it was the post with the video of Maher and Olby mocking him, which you were less harsh on Beck than usual. I believe I specifically mentioned it, because those 2 turds were insinuating he was buying the conspiracy theory, when I knew it was quite the opposite, because… I watch his show.

Honestly though, Allah, you claim to play drinking games by watching the show, but I have to say I get the impression you hardly ever watch him which is exactly why you’re so disrespectful of the man. Your mockery of him resembles that of the Fox News haters who pick up unchecked nonsense on the net.

RightWinged on March 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Here’s another O/T thought…
Another friend/acquaintance is thinking of getting into the ammo manufacturing business…A person of means…And guess what…many major roadblocks from both industry and BATFE…
Gee… I wonder why…

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 10:18 PM

So what was the gist of the story about Ruby Ridge. I will say I did not like our government’s actions against them or Waco.

goat on March 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Bilderburger sounds like a great name for burger joint in D.C.

thomasaur on March 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

LOL!

goat on March 28, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Bilderburger sounds like a great name for burger joint in D.C.

thomasaur on March 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Heard in passing:

Gimme a Bilderburger with chili fries and a side of dumb-ass. Hold the mustard.

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I’ve got my central air running and it’s only 40 degree’s…..and snowing.

Knucklehead on March 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM

No disrespect intended but that post and your user name just knocked me on the floor…
Maybe it’s the wine.

katy on March 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Bild-yer-burger Conspiracy- If you can think it up we’ll put it together for you.

thomasaur on March 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Gimme a Bilderburger with chili fries and a side of dumb-ass. Hold the mustardlogic.

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Ah, nothing like the words “prove me wrong” when claiming something is true without evidence.

MadisonConservative on March 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM

ROE went out the window…ie…deadly force when it wasn’t needed…
In the initial encounter the jury found Weaver & Harris innocent and acted in self defense…
Young Weaver was shot in the back as he ran away from the encounter…
After that first shoot out…Weaver and Harris never fired another shot…
And were never given the opportunity or the option to surrender.
Weaver won the civil suit…

But he lost his wife and son…AND Luie Frie became Dir of FBI… he was th AIC…

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Allahpundit; If you are going to write about debunking a conspiracy theory please tell your readers what the theory is about for those of us who don’t have time to follow this stuff. Beck doesn’t even expalin it in this clip. I still have no idea what this FEMA camp thing is all about. I guess I could research it and find out but I think I will just move on to the next topic.

Dollayo on March 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM

MadisonConservative on March 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM

What?

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM

MadisonConservative on March 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM

What?

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM

What exactly are you talking about? Prove you wrong about what?

Really, dude, you need to learn to read for comprehension.

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Madison, you are a smart guy. Until.

Until you get your nose out of joint about some perceived slight, and then you go on your silly rants and leave those of us who were rooting for you in an untenable position.

Wise up.

It’s really not all about you.

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Yea…ah…sometimes I think it’s blends and not the single malts when he goes there…lol

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I know you’re right, and yet….awww fusk it!

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM

RightWinged on March 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

“Roar I’m angry rarr!”

blatantblue on March 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I say that from experience …I’ve got a brother who can’t drink Scotch at all…anymore.
He turns into a wild man and nobody want to be around him…lol

jerrytbg on March 28, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Ya ask me, the more I see and hear Beck’s clips and catch him on the odd day on the tube, the more I LIKE him. AND I FUCKIN LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO!

EZnSF on March 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM

hillbillyjim on March 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I was agreeing with you, you self-righteous ass. Throw away your jump to conclusions mat and get yourself a clue before you go off on some empty excoriation next time.

MadisonConservative on March 29, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I first heard about this from Bill Cooper back in the late ’80s…a dubious source, true, but the point is it’s been around a heck of a long time and I don’t think he was the original source…in fact I don’t know who is?

Probably isn’t true, but why FEMA…why not the ATF or some other agency…so that bit of an oddity gives it some credence in my book-and why would such a ‘theory’ have arisen way back when? For what purpose? It seems to be linked to the NWO thing.

Cooper’s take on it was that all citizens known to be members of Patriotic organizations would be arrested along with anyone with any violent criminal history no matter how minor and the common criminals in the prisons would be killed off to make room for political offenders.

And this seems to have come about during the Reagan/Bush Sr. years and the heyday of the Moral Majority, that is, when Conservatism was quite strong…?

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM

FEMA camps conspiracy theory debunked by … Glenn Beck?

Why the question mark? Why would this be a surprise. This is the not the first time that Glenn Beck has had the good folks from Popular Mechanics on his show. Beck has had Jim Meigs on previously to discuss 9/11 and Katrina. Here is a sample of what real 9/11 truthers thinks about Beck (and it ain’t much): http://educate-yourself.org/cn/911liarsquad23oct07.shtml

melchitt on March 29, 2009 at 3:03 AM

goat on March 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM

It’s rather ironic that he would devote one day each week to debunking conspiracy theories, considering that he believes in bigfoot, lol

xblade on March 29, 2009 at 6:04 AM

petefrt on March 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM

agree

long_cat on March 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM

MadisonConservative on March 29, 2009 at 12:51 AM

You are correct, sir. My apologies. Damn that Allahpundit drinking game!

hillbillyjim on March 29, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Sorry to burst anyone’s bubble, but Popular Mechanic are a joke when it comes to debunking 9/11 or anything else. They went up against the Loose Change guys once and utterly failed in providing ANY proof or fact. I could debunk Loose Change blindfolded. Yet these Popular Mechanic people are unable to do research or provide any facts. It’s all made up. They’re actually WORSE than Loose Change.

Point to what wasn’t true about their debunking. Go for it. Tell us real proof, and not one or two little points you twist as a truther. Go for it. show is us how you truthers are correct, but do start with how a conspiracy of this immense size doesn’t have one breaking to tell your truth-just one.

Noelie on March 29, 2009 at 9:20 AM

He said repeatedly that he was going to look into it to debunk it. It took him about two weeks from the first emails and phone calls till now. Fight rumors with facts.

Kill Joy. ;-)

BrideOfRove on March 29, 2009 at 9:21 AM

getalife on March 28, 2009 at 8:24 PM

And what will the deficit be when your leader passes his 3.5+ trillion dollar budget, genius? Better go ask Paul for more talking points.

Knucklehead on March 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Obama’s deficit looks like this !!! : I’m carrying this graph to the 15th tea party.

SoldiersMom on March 29, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Conspiracy theories exist for a few reasons:
They are fun.
People are inherently lazy and suspicious and they can accept bad stuff about their government without engaging their brains.
Some folks are appallingly gullible (helps if you are lazy and suspicious as well).
Some conspiracies may be real.
The problem, of course, is deciding which to believe based on the amount of “evidence” you are willing to accept.
No matter what you believe or don’t believe, some segment of the population will call you a fool.

SKYFOX on March 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

FEMA can’t do what they are supposed to do. Adding on a bunch of camps to punish Americans who do not agree with Obama just adds to their work load. That theory falls apart immediately. Where are they going to put this camp(s), at Gitmo? Bigger question? Where are they going to put the Gitmo guys?

BetseyRoss on March 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I’ve got my central air running and it’s only 40 degree’s…..and snowing.

Knucklehead on March 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Maybe it’s the wine.

katy on March 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM

You werent the only one katy

lolwut on March 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM

“FEMA Camps” is just a shorthand term for government concentration/detention camp.
When people use that term that aren’t hung up on the specificity of FEMA bei8ng the agency that administers them (if they exist)

I remember watching Glenn’s show a few weeks ago when he mentioned the topic. and I don’t believe he used the words “FEMA Camp” and that he mentioned that there was legislation in the pipeline that would establishment large detention centers in the US. That’s my memory of it.

The discussion he has in this video with the guy from Popular Mechanics seems to indicate that Beck has in the works an examination of the Camp thing as well as many other things that in the realm of giving the appearance of a massive Govt plan to lock people up. (He didn’t mention any of those things but alluded to them as items that will be scrutinized for varacity)

So exactly what is going to be debunked in unknown at this point. because as he said.. what’s working on consists of true things combined with false things and out of context things.

As far as his original claim a few weeks ago that there is a bill to establish what people think of as “FEMA camps” , he is absolutely correct. There is one.

111 Congress H.R. 645
National Emergency Centers Establishment Act

To direct the Secretary of Homeland Security to establish national emergency centers on military installations.

Sponsor: Rep. Alcee Hastings [D-FL]

Status:
Y Introduced Jan 22, 2009
Y Referred to Committee

Congressional Research Service Summary

1/22/2009–Introduced.

National Emergency Centers Establishment Act – Directs the Secretary of Homeland Security to establish at least six national emergency centers on military installations to use existing infrastructure to provide:

(1) temporary housing, medical, and humanitarian assistance to individuals and families dislocated due to an emergency or major disaster; and

(2) centralized locations for the training of first responders and the coordination of preparedness, response, and recovery efforts.

Lists minimum requirements for sites for such centers, including that they be capable of:

(1) meeting for an extended period the housing, health, transportation, education, public works, humanitarian, and other transition needs of a large number of individuals affected;

(2) being scaled up or down to accommodate major disaster preparedness and response drills, operations, and procedures;

(3) housing existing permanent structures necessary to meet training and first responders coordination requirements during non-disaster periods; and

(4) hosting the infrastructure necessary to rapidly adjust to temporary housing, medical, and humanitarian assistance needs.

Sets forth center location requirements, including requiring the Secretary to designate closed military installations as sites whenever possible and to designate portions of existing military installations as centers otherwise.

OUTLINE

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE

SEC. 2. ESTABLISHMENT OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY CENTERS.

SEC. 3. DESIGNATION OF MILITARY INSTALLATIONS AS NATIONAL EMERGENCY CENTERS.

SEC. 4. LIMITATIONS ON STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION

SEC. 5. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS

SEC. 6. DEFINITIONS

=============================

Nothing to see here.

Beck is obviously deluded.

VinceP1974 on March 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Alex Jones was spewing his FEMA camp crap back in 2003 when I discovered the little slimy slug on shortwave. I think the Katrina fiasco showed us just how ready those FEMA camps were. Jones also had a guy on his show who claimed that he was sent into Iraq to plant Sarin gas cannisters which the CIA would open up on our troops in an effort to justify the invasion.

Conspiracy creatures like Jones have this perfect government delusion. The reality is that the Feds can’t manage the ordinary tasks of running the country, but when it comes to the theorist’s pet conspiracies, the delusion is that a certain government agency is magically perfect. Hell’s Bells, the Army couldn’t keep Stalin from knowing all about the Manhattan Project.

I will take one exception to my statement, the whole Roswell, Walker air base “mistake” about space aliens was brilliant. The rumors were allowed to circulate about aliens to the complete satisfaction of the military. It was the perfect cover for a secret effort to discover Soviet atomic bomb testing. Thousands of idiots became one giant red herring.

Pelayo on March 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I can’t stand Alex Jones. What a nutcase.

VinceP1974 on March 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM

FEMA has a network of secret camps in which Obama’s planning to intern Americans who disagree with him or yadda yadda yadda.

Allahpundit on March 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Oh my gosh!!!! Really?

Oh. I guess not.

petunia on March 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM

RightWinged on March 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I have to agree. It is exactly like the people who don’t watch Fox and claim it is so far far far far right… I don’t watch Beck all the time but every time I have, I have either learned something or at least felt that American values still exist somewhere beneath all this mess of a government.

Beck doesn’t mind being mocked… at least he always has some clever way of turning the tables… I think he’s pretty funny about it. But still probably not gonna watch him everyday.

petunia on March 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

VinceP1974 on March 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I thought I heard about possible camps for Mexican refugees if their civil/drug war starts to really get out of hand and they need to evacuate large numbers of people. Is this that?

petunia on March 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Had the Americans retained their federal orders, they would not have to fear the so-called “Federal” Emergency Management Agency. Had the state legislatures retained their control of the Senate, they would have retained their own prerogatives, as well, and with the state governors’ administrations, would have been able to provide for emergencies themselves. There would be little risk of “F”EMA building camps and shoving Americans into them, for the states would have maintained such forces of their own that, together, they would have been more than a match for a renegade federal government.

Maybe the Americans can still turn matters around. However, I don’t see the required level of understanding of politics, nor do I see the required level of sustained interest.

Kralizec on March 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM

petunia on March 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Once one loses control of one’s own life and becomes dependent on some great, imperial power, it’s difficult to tell the difference between benevolence and malevolence. Its much the same with the “federal” government as it is with the gods.

Kralizec on March 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM

VinceP1974 on March 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM

The purpose of this bill was to allow the use of “existing structures” on military bases by civilians in the event of a natural disaster. Seems like a good idea considering many bases have empty barracks that could be used for this.

BohicaTwentyTwo on March 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

more fuel for the inferno. Try Searching for REX 84. the FEMA exersise to start it all

tengger on March 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM