Video: Rice criticizes Cheney?

posted at 3:25 pm on March 25, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Jay Leno asked Condoleezza Rice to give her opinion regarding the kerfuffle over Dick Cheney’s outspoken criticism of BaracK Obama and his policy team, especially on national security. Instead of backing Cheney, the former National Security Adviser and Secretary of State instead told Leno that she knows how it feels to have critics “chirping” from the outside — and that any advice she gives will come privately or not at all (via Christopher Weber):

I know what it’s like to have people chirping at you when they perhaps don’t know what’s going on inside. These are quality people. I know them. They love the country. And they won’t make the same decisions, perhaps, that we did. But I believe they’ll do what they think is best for the country and I’ll give my advice privately and keep it to myself.

Watch the whole clip from NBC, as Leno gives Rice an opportunity to defend the Bush administration and the effort on terrorism, and she does it well. Rice also rebuts the “wasted opportunity” meme by reminding the audience that America had to defend itself, and that took precedence over worrying about whether we were loved or not. Watching Americans jump to their deaths from 80 floors up and higher tends to focus people on the issue of national security.

Rice gets it right on Cheney, but for the wrong reasons. “Chirping” at politicians come from disagreements on policy, and every American can speak to that. I think it’s bad politics (and another step away from a good tradition, of which Al Gore is more guilty) for Cheney to assume the lead in public Republican opposition to Obama’s policies, and that Republicans need the space to groom the next generation of leaders, and hopefully really soon. To dismiss Cheney’s criticisms as “chirping” and suggest that a man who had been at the forefront of national-security policy doesn’t understand the issues is flat-out wrong.

Update: The First Mate wondered what Rice was saying on the clip. After I explained to her that Rice thought former administration officials shouldn’t criticize a current President from the sidelines, she replied, “Oh, like Jimmy Carter?”

We’ve got to get her blogging …

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

These are quality people. I know them. They love the country.

…………

I have to catch my breath.

artist on March 25, 2009 at 3:28 PM

The only one chirping from the sidelines that I’d like to STFU is Meghan McCain.

Wethal on March 25, 2009 at 3:29 PM

The First Mate gets it like you do Ed.
L

letget on March 25, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Stick to something you’re good at, honey. Go play the piano.

Fletch54 on March 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Next, Leno will have Meagan McCain on. All the great conservative minds.

keep the change on March 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Cheney has courage….. a quality lacking in many RINO’s , just read John Bolton’s book.

MNDavenotPC on March 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM

We went from Condie Rice to Hillary Clinton? How far we have fallen.

While Rice is being diplomatic about this, she fails to realize that the Stick & Stones Rule doesn’t apply to Conservatives. Words do hurt, and by the end of 2008, The constant criticism from liberals had sunk into the national conscience, making lies truth. There are no more rules of etiquette in politics.

portlandon on March 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Rice on Leno? I think she should have graciously refused to comment. I suspect there was conflict between her and Cheney. I have no problems with Cheney’s comments as I am convinced he made them primarily out of concern for America’s safety. I don’t think it was ordinary political sniping.

We would have been better off if Bush had paid attention to Cheney rather than Rice the last two years.

INC on March 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Oh no! They got to Condi too?

Christian Conservative on March 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

A real lady

Wade on March 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

What b/s. Play the race card Condi, are you in front of or behind Powell in the line to kiss a**.

lexa on March 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Rice is just being the respectful politician. If she was in private, she would probably be saying something like: Can you f!@#ing believe the gaggle of idiots assembled here from TOTUS on down.

MDWNJ on March 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Jay Leno. Isn’t that the guy who’s been cracking jokes about Cheney non-stop for eight years. As I recall, he told a joke once a night for two weeks straight, all focused on the shooting incident when Cheney shot his friend by accident.

Shooting your friend isn’t funny Jay. Except to lib comedians. Go smoke another joint Jay.

fogw on March 25, 2009 at 3:35 PM

We’ve got to get her blogging …

We just always assumed that like most husbands, you are just stating what the wife wants to be stated.

right2bright on March 25, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I don’t care what you say. I’ve always liked Condi.

That said..she’ll chirp alright. When she’s rounded up and put on trial by the Obama Citizen Army….

Caper29 on March 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

MDWNJ on March 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Actually, given her treatment by cheney and rumsfeld, i think she may have much worse to say about him than she let off there.

ernesto on March 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

yeah it’s pretty funny the tradition of “apolitical former Presidents” is suddenly in vogue again….

sven10077 on March 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Condi Rice was an awesome SoS. It’s a shame she had to be associated with the Bush Administration. I wish Obama would have kept her along with Gates. I love her and I think she’s totally right here as well.

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I think there is a difference between the “chirping” of former Vice President Cheney and that of former Vice President Gore.

Gore ran for president and lost. His chirping was aimed at his rival and was based on the fallacy that he had actually won the presidency and was denied by the courts. Up until the 2004 primaries, it was assumed that Gore was going to run again.

Cheney served in office, left office and did not run against Obama. He is offering up his “chirps” as someone who has been there before and knows what “worked” at the time. He is also, possibly, trying to explain himself in a way that he was not able to as part of the Bush administration.

myrenovations on March 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

diots assembled here from TOTUS on down.

MDWNJ on March 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

You mean POTUS, TOTUS is the only one that has it together…all hail TOTUS, the real leader.
Bush had Cheney…Obama has TOTUS.

right2bright on March 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Condi needs to reconnect with her galpals at Stanford – the ones with short hair and sturdy shoes. She was pathetic as SecState.

Wyatt Wingfoot on March 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I think the word “chirp” is a real put down…ex-presidents (even Gore) don’t “chirp”, listen to what they say, they have more knowledge then 99.99999% of the people.
Doesn’t mean they are right, doesn’t mean they are wrong…but being VP does mean they were “there”.

right2bright on March 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM

She really should be the NFL commish.

oakpack on March 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I would have a problem with Cheney’s comments if he wasn’t directly asked. That is probably too much to ask CNN to do but if you ask are you surprised he defends the policy of the Bush years as the one that keeps us safe. Isn’t this the price of constantly pursuing your predecessors?

Conan on March 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I thought Jay Leno’s was a Comedy Show…when did it become ‘political discussion’ ? What a bunch of asshats and backstabbers.

They all deserve each other and will be looking around for support in a few months.

Pathetic.

DoctorDentons on March 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM

“Oh, like Jimmy Carter?”

…….. and Bill Clinton?

…….. and Al Gore?

Seven Percent Solution on March 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Condi Rice far from being “awesome” was an abject failure as Sec. of State. What on Earth did she achieve during her 4 years of misrule at Foggy Bottom outside of kissing Palestinian ass?

Hilts on March 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Bush had Cheney…Obama has TOTUS.

right2bright on March 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Haha… oops my bad.

MDWNJ on March 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Cheney chirps? Who knew?

Christian Conservative on March 25, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Condi is a class act, and truly brilliant. That said, sometimes she looked like a female Colin Powell on policy, when we could’ve use more Bolton.

She’ll keep her criticism quiet, as will Bush.

Unfortunately, that kind of attitude is kind of like “casting pearls before swine” when applied to the current Administration- will NOT be reciprocated.

cs89 on March 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

VP Cheney is a politician and Sec. Rice is a policy person, I don’t expect them to have the same views on how to handle the chatter. If they start attacking her and her decisions personally she may take a different tact. Only a matter of time, we will see.

Cindy Munford on March 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

” oops my bad.”

I you’re over 18, you’ve just been banned. (jk)

oakpack on March 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I couldn’t agree more with the Rice part. I disagree with the part about the Bush administration, which implies that the whole administration was bad. It’s the Cheney part of the Bush administration that isn’t so politically likeable. I respect Cheney as a person, but Bush shouldn’t have picked him as VP. Someone more moderate and actually still in office would have been much better. That being said, Joe Biden wasn’t exactly an inspired choice for Obama. He should have picked Hillary Clinton.

NathanG on March 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

She voted for Carter and was a dem.

getalife on March 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I agree that it is classless and very jimmah carteresq to besmirch a subsequent administration, but that part about them being quality and loving their country is an unadulterated crock of shiite!

TheSitRep on March 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Now we can say what we all knew but were afraid to say.The sucess of a person based on color of one,s skin or one,s race is more important than the securty or the financal future of the country.Not only Sec.rice but just listen to former congressmsn J.C. Watts ever time he talks to Hannity.He will not say anything bad about Obama or his programs.It,s a sad day in America.

thmcbb on March 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

wanted her to be the nominee myself, that said I am certain you feel Dhimmi Carter and Beijing Billy need a nice cup of shut the hell up or is this your RiNO backstabbing coming out ala Juan Queeg?

sven10077 on March 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Rice’s comments were counterproductive. If such opinions are to be made through back channels, what is preventing her from doing the same? Answer: she was asked on television. So was Cheney. At least he knew what he was talking about.

manwithblackhat on March 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I think Sec. Rice was better as National Security Adviser than SOS. I can’t point to specifics, just a general feeling.

Cindy Munford on March 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM

People like Rice, John McCain (I know, I know, people around here can’t stand him), and Joe Lieberman are a dying breed. Too many stark raving mad partisans on both sides now. Unfortunately, they’re the ones that shout the loudest.

NathanG on March 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM

sven10077 on March 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Nope, I think Carter and Clinton need to shut their traps as well. Gore too. You can advance your own policy proposals, perhaps, and in that context criticism might be warranted, but I think Cheney needs to shut up.

My comments about her association with the Bush Administration is that she has been unfairly associated with what many people (including me) believe to be failed policies. Rice had little to do with a lot of the policies that made Bush so unpopular, and should not be lumped in with Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Gonzalez as she so often is.

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM

But you know the Left will spin this as if she’d called Cheney an idiot vice it being a matter of style IMO.

She has almost always come across as non-partisan and not one to criticize, maybe too meek?. IMO she liked to be above politics – and Cheney is not. Different people.

katiejane on March 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Look who is picking sides, I couldn’t possibly be anymore disappointed in Dr Rice.

Dr Evil on March 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Hmmm… I think she is kinda cute.

I don’t recall much at all about her former role, maybe a sign of her weakness. Maybe she was awesome and the media didn’t report much on it. Sometimes it’s hard to tell.

The point being that I think she looks good, shallow sure, but hey that’s me ;)

bigskinny on March 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Isn’t Gonzales a moderate Republican though? But then again so was Rumsfeld as a congressman, I believe.

NathanG on March 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

sven10077 on March 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

+10

capitalist piglet on March 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Its still going on…

Who should have listened to who.

Im sure there was plenty of disagreement going on, in fact I hope so.

Only libs can match the extinct pasenger pigeon in its ability to flock.

This is all standard I would think for an administration on a war footing.

Drastic measures were being enforced.

The thing is that we are constantly trying to beat the dead horse of incompetence and corruption,

while we accomplished what the same detractors say was impossible to impossible.

How do people get away with this logic.

Millions of passenger pigeons ( libs )instantly change direction.

Sonosam on March 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM

while we accomplished what the same detractors say was impossible.

Sonosam on March 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Condi Rice was an embarrassment at State. She’s a leftist tool who never understood how the world works. Condi was the essence of the leftist disaster that was Bush’s second term. She needs to go away.

progressoverpeace on March 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM

She’s not even talking about Cheney. I think people just want to create the image of Bush officials fighting with each other.

SoulGlo on March 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM

She’s one of the worst Secretaries of State ever.

promachus on March 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I admire both Cheney and Rice, and the fact that they are taking opposite approaches to dealing with the current Administration doesn’t surprise me.

I had hoped that the first Black to become President would be Rice, but it wasn’t to be — instead we got this kid who plays with the position in ways harmful to America.

Rice is an academic before she’s a politician, and her position when she speaks or writes has always been what is right for America.

Rice’s replacement isn’t even half as good as Rice was, and Rice is showing a quality disposition by not performing private diplomacy after leaving. She’s not issuing press releases second-guessing US initiatives or poking fun at the current guys — unlike what Barack and his folk did in the election runup.

Cheney is bedeviled by the fact that his replacement isn’t even an eighth as good as he was at his job, and as a political person, he’s far more combative than Rice. He takes personally all the crap that was said about him, and has to be chomping at the bit to show these wet behind the ears kids the error of their ways, both going in and now.

Cheney’s approach wins elections. Rice’s approach may help America NOW.

We won’t know, because Rice isn’t talking.

Now we (except unclesmrgol) can say what we all knew but were afraid to say.The sucess of a person based on color of one,s skin or one,s race is more important than the securty or the financal future of the country.

thmcbb on March 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM

FIFY. Anyone else care to fix it further?

unclesmrgol on March 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM

She’s right. Cheney should reserve his comments. It’s counterproductive and we already know the Bush policies kept us safe. Cheney’s saying the obvious that doesn’t need to be said. I think both Bush and Rice are right to say enough already with this and be the grownups about things.

youngO on March 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM

NathanG on March 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM

It’s not an issue of being moderate, it’s an issue of being associated with the bad policies of the Bush Administration. Gonzalez is associated with the warrantless wiretapping, the politically motivated firings of US attorneys, the Valerie Plame scandal, and Guantanamo Bay – generally speaking, overreaches of government as a result of the War on Terror. Gonzalez will occupy a particularly dark place, because he said he was going to stay and fight and fix the problems at the Justice Dept. as a result of the attorney firing scandal.

He resigned a month later. Those problems must have been really easy.

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Cindy Munford on March 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Don’t you remember that little dust-up with the career diplomats over postings to Iraq? She showed just how suited she was for her position when she read those liberal whining desk-jockeys the riot act. No problems filling positions in Iraq after she spoke. Nosirree.

unclesmrgol on March 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM

thmcbb on March 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM

…….. I noticed that, too.

Seven Percent Solution on March 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Not sure why this is a surprise to anyone who followed the Bush Administration for any of the last eight years. She openly and publicly fought/clashed with Cheney and the conservatives on the side of Colin Powell and the liberals on virtually every single area of foreign policy. This really isn’t a shocker. She was on the opposite (and wrong) side of Cheney on almost everything from invading Syria after we hit Iraq to positions on Israel. And she voted for Obama. She so much as said so, without explicitly admitting to it. Remember, it was her idea, back in 2005 or ’06 that was floated on the cover of the NYSlimes to recognize Hezbollah as a political group, which thankfully never happened. She was a liberal and she is a liberal, just like Colin Powell.

Debbie Schlussel on March 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Well, who knows. Maybe this is precisely why she has reasons to doubt his judgment. He was at the forefront and he did make decisions. Personally, I think he’s proven his own incompetence. Rice might think the same. Although, I wouldn’t say that’s evident from her remarks.

Generally though, I agree that there is a threshold upon crossing which, one has to start public criticism. If Powell didn’t keep it a secret that his case to the UN was bs, the country would be better off now. Likewise, if Cheney truly thinks that Obama is seriously endangering the country with certain moves, he should speak up. What’s more important: politesse or not having buildings in your country blow up?

Again, I don’t necessarily trust Cheney personally, so I may dismiss what he says. But he should say it. If nothing else, he’ll have his “told ya” moment.

radiofreevillage on March 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I’ve always wondered which way she voted in the election.

a capella on March 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM

unclesmrgol on March 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Sorry, I disagree. Cheney wins elections because he is right. If it was Cheney v Obama, it would of been closer, if not a turn over.
Rice, sure she is smart, articulate, talented, charismatic, helps Republicans play the “see we love minorities too” card, but she is wrong in attacking Cheney.
I often asked those who wanted Rice to run, and it boiled down to she had the same qualifications as Obama ( only Obama ran as a Democrat ) but couldn’t tell me how she espoused conservative values and fought for those conservative values.

Conservative Voice on March 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM

MNDavenotPC on March 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I welcomed Dick Cheney’s candid remarks.

Lourdes on March 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM

And, Condoleezza Rice was far too keen on Obama as President for my comfort level.

Signed, the Chattering Class Chirping.

Lourdes on March 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM

a capella on March 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I think it’s fair to conclude from her criticism of Cheney that she’s a Black Racist.

radiofreevillage on March 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I don’t recall the Left being that impressed by Rice when she actually held her office – but no doubt she will be their new favorite if they perceive her bashing the Bush Administration.

katiejane on March 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Debbie Schlussel on March 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Yeah totally. We really should have invaded Syria, that would have been great. When you don’t have the manpower or the money to fight two wars, it’s probably a good time to start a third. Really, this is brilliant stuff.

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I appreciate Cheneys comments and pretty much agree with them.

I dont think anybody really minds beacause its a proper dose.

GWB will say nothing as is a proper position for ANY former President.

Condy, in her dignified way, told us exactly how the administration took this call.

Cheney shows another perspective.

This administration has been the essence of class while being treated to none.

Sonosam on March 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM

It would have been really, really endearing if not outright wonderful had Condoleezza Rice said something like, “I agree with Vice President Cheney” or, perhaps, “I support the position held by V.P. Cheney”.

You know, unity, support, something like that.

Lourdes on March 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Ed: You should’ve posted the first segment where she’s asked about her “favorite band”.

Condi+Matrix Outfit+Immigrant Song=Crazy Delicious

The Ugly American on March 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM

She was a liberal and she is a liberal, just like Colin Powell.

Debbie Schlussel on March 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Yep, ain’t it the truth.

Lourdes on March 25, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Could Cheney meet her halfway by saying something sane?

radiofreevillage on March 25, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Serious topics on a comedy/celebrity show such as Jay Leno never work.

albill on March 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM

IMO she liked to be above politics – and Cheney is not. Different people.

katiejane on March 25, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Yup…in a nutshell.

The Ugly American on March 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM

You know, unity, support, something like that.

I guess the alternative of showing unity and support to the President is entirely inappropriate. Makes sense.

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Someone needs to say it so I will, it’s a race thing.

thomasaur on March 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, but the whole warrantless wiretapping thing was something that I happened to agree with, although I believe they should have gone to the FISA court in order to obtain warrants. I, unlike some libertarians and apparently 99.9 percent of liberals, don’t believe that they should be indicted for it. That’s ridiculous. They did it out of concern for timing, wrong or not. Also, their scandals were a result of their their over-the-top secrecy. The whole Valerie Plame thing was a joke and a witchhunt, in my opinion. The problem was that the more those in the administration didn’t just fess up to what they did, the more it grew into a scandal. Oddly enough, I do believe that Valerie Plame was already known in D.C. as a CIA official. I have to respectfully disagree about Gitmo too; I think they made some mistakes, but to tell the truth, I’m not in the least concerned about the “rights” of the detainees there. I’d rather just send them back to their dictatorship countries and let the kings and such do the torturing. :)

NathanG on March 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM

thomasaur on March 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I would love to see the evidence you have that Condi Rice is a racist. Please provide a link.

Proud Rino on March 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Condi Rice was one of teh many mediocrities that Bush showed undeserved loyalty to. Debbie Schlussel happens to be right on this – she was Condi Clueless Rice and Rice most probably voted for Obambi. She spent the better part of her term as Sec. of State whining about Isreal not doing enough for the Terrorstinians. ALas Israel was (mis)ruled by a corrupt asshole named Ehud Olmert who never told her the facts of life about her beloved Palis. She was as disastrous Secretary of State.

Hilts on March 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM

“Republicans need the space to groom the next generation of leaders, and hopefully really soon.”

It is too for grooming mate. It is trench time. Events are moving very quickly and there is no time for the next generation to get their act together.

I would suggest that Cheney saw what was happening and decided to speak up. Even in the media attacking Cheney, some of Obama’s agenda is receiving scrutiny it would otherwise not have gotten.

Oh. Rice’s time at State saw a massive pull back from the strong policies of earlier in the Bush presidency.

davod on March 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Diagnosis: Kathleen Parker Syndrome.
Prognosis: Fatal if not treated.
Prescription: A good, hard dopeslapping, followed by a nonstop read of Mark Levin’s new book. Then, some more dopeslapping, just for good measure.

whitetop on March 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Hey proud RINO why not just come out of the closet as a Democrat? We have enough RINOs including McCain and his whiney daughter.

Hilts on March 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM

She’ll keep her criticism quiet, as will Bush.

cs89 on March 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

The Secretary of State is supposed to be the dove in the room, so I didn’t mind that at all. What annoyed me about Colin Powell was the passive agressive crankiness and whiny leaking. If he was against something, then he should have spoken to Dubya about it directly rather than sulking.

I have always loved Condi and am excited to read her book about growing up in Birmingham during the Civil Rights era. She probably has some fascinating stories to tell.

Illinidiva on March 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Yeah Condi how come you aren’t married yet? Oh yeah, gay marriage isn’t legal. Thank god your a conservative though right? Conservatives are so open minded when it comes to gay marriage.

Terry Silver on March 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Terry Silver on March 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM

non meet sequitur

sven10077 on March 25, 2009 at 4:32 PM

She gave an answer that a person with class should give. Nothing to set off the presses with the latest she dissed the pres talk. I know we would like to see people we have supported call the scumbags on the other side scumbags but that really just gets people upset and real issues do not get addressed in any positive way. However, if she had flipped Obama the bird I would still have a hard time wiping the smile off my face and I would lobby to try to get a holiday named in her honor. Obama will never get it right no matter how much respect he is given by quality people or the chirping crowd he doesn’t respect either.

rsl775 on March 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Class. Act.

D2Boston on March 25, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Class. Act.

D2Boston on March 25, 2009 at 4:34 PM

As long as she doesn’t say anything about gay marriage right?

Terry Silver on March 25, 2009 at 4:35 PM

However, if she had flipped Obama the bird I would still have a hard time wiping the smile off my face and I would lobby to try to get a holiday named in her honor. .

rsl775 on March 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Is this Bizarro world?

Hilts on March 25, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I saw part of the interview last night, I did not catch why she was on the show. (Book deal?) What I did see is she tried not to ruffle feathers. She did however look and sound energetic when she was talking about the first African American President. Not being African American, I really can not attempt to say I understand the pride the African American Community has in the President. Regardless of political affiliation, The African American Community is almost completely behind the President. Our hope would be for the “NEW” to wear off and everyone start paying attention to what is going on.

Guest1.1 on March 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM

remember the 11th Commandment (channel your inner Reagan): never speak ill of another Republican.

and Condi was attached to the hip to Bush for the first 4 years. He jokingly called her his wife or something to that effect. but that was as chief of nat’l security.

kelley in virginia on March 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Liberals claim to love gays when it allows them to vent their spleen against Republicans. But disagree with liberals and their first response is to call you gay.
–Ann Coulter

The Bushie fratricide was bound to happen. Predictable, given the incoherence of the administration. Third parties make a better case that Cheney’s remark was impolitic, but most of the noise comes from the same crowd who despised John Bolton. McClellan’s clumsy back-biting was a reaction to the cruel kindness of not firing him — allowing him to humiliate himself and his boss for three years.

Cheney is acquainted with competence and truth, as is Mr. Bolton. “Chirping” is a word picked by the faction that viewed the opinions of the American people with the same contempt. It was painful to watch an incompetent schoolmarm lecture Putin with the same attitude.

Someone said there are no stupid politicians in Russia; they’re all dead. We promote ours.

Feedie on March 25, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Condi was taking the high road . She didn’t take the bait that Leno was pushing. That’s called class.

As for all you eye-rolling naysayers, iraq infrastructure didn’t start improving until Bush took oversight from Rumsfeld and gave it to Condi. Rumsfeld got mad about it, packed up his marbles, and went home.

I know it’d be nice to nuke the entire Middle East and just start over, but Condi knew better.

Lothar on March 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM

She was supposed to be a Russian expert who got personally “bitch slapped” by the Russians on at least 6 times that I know of personally.

Give them personal advice we will watch T 82 tanks rolling over the Ukraine.

Jdripper on March 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Illinidiva on March 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Here’s a bit of early Rice (1995) to whet your appetite. [The Rand Graduate Institute was a doctoral program offered at RAND for political science. It is now called the PRGS.]

She doesn’t go into the bombing at her church, but you can get a hint of how she grew as a person as she examined her life as a Black in the USA against the average citizen behind the (then) Iron Curtain.

unclesmrgol on March 25, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Give them personal advice we will watch T 82 tanks rolling over the Ukraine.

Jdripper on March 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM

That “supposed Russian expert” was in on the collapse of the Soviet Union. She was also a primary architect of German reunification.

I’m not sure what your diplomatic bona fides are, but since you claim to have been personally there, perhaps you’ll enlighten the rest of us by giving a first person rendition of some of these “slaps”.

unclesmrgol on March 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Cheney may have been the wrong messenger, but he was right.
The “O” Team has deserved every bit of criticism they have so far received, and, it pails into insignificance compared to what the Dems did to Bush during his second term…

DL13 on March 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM

lol,..smart move,..Condi doesn’t say she agrees with them,..but willing to give advice “privately”..in other words..ASK CONDI FOR SOME ADVICE!

christene on March 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM

lexa on March 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Yeah, because Blacks are incapable of thinking for themselves. When I go to the farmer’s market, I wait and watch what the other darkies are buying before I make a purchase.

Someone needs to say it so I will, it’s a race thing.

thomasaur on March 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM

White pride.

The Race Card on March 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Black before fact.

marklmail on March 25, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Jdripper on March 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Whom exactly are you quoting? Those quotation marks are your literary mullet.

The Race Card on March 25, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Black before fact.

marklmail on March 25, 2009 at 5:40 PM

That’s right. She’s black. That’s the only fact that matters to some.

I wonder how many of those people offended by Michelle Obama’s mean country remarks harbor sentiments equal to yours. I would bet that none of them consider themselves “mean.”

Black before fact…fuck you.

The Race Card on March 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM