Video: Rice criticizes Cheney?

posted at 3:25 pm on March 25, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Jay Leno asked Condoleezza Rice to give her opinion regarding the kerfuffle over Dick Cheney’s outspoken criticism of BaracK Obama and his policy team, especially on national security. Instead of backing Cheney, the former National Security Adviser and Secretary of State instead told Leno that she knows how it feels to have critics “chirping” from the outside — and that any advice she gives will come privately or not at all (via Christopher Weber):

I know what it’s like to have people chirping at you when they perhaps don’t know what’s going on inside. These are quality people. I know them. They love the country. And they won’t make the same decisions, perhaps, that we did. But I believe they’ll do what they think is best for the country and I’ll give my advice privately and keep it to myself.

Watch the whole clip from NBC, as Leno gives Rice an opportunity to defend the Bush administration and the effort on terrorism, and she does it well. Rice also rebuts the “wasted opportunity” meme by reminding the audience that America had to defend itself, and that took precedence over worrying about whether we were loved or not. Watching Americans jump to their deaths from 80 floors up and higher tends to focus people on the issue of national security.

Rice gets it right on Cheney, but for the wrong reasons. “Chirping” at politicians come from disagreements on policy, and every American can speak to that. I think it’s bad politics (and another step away from a good tradition, of which Al Gore is more guilty) for Cheney to assume the lead in public Republican opposition to Obama’s policies, and that Republicans need the space to groom the next generation of leaders, and hopefully really soon. To dismiss Cheney’s criticisms as “chirping” and suggest that a man who had been at the forefront of national-security policy doesn’t understand the issues is flat-out wrong.

Update: The First Mate wondered what Rice was saying on the clip. After I explained to her that Rice thought former administration officials shouldn’t criticize a current President from the sidelines, she replied, “Oh, like Jimmy Carter?”

We’ve got to get her blogging …

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

When I go to the farmer’s market, I wait and watch what the other darkies are buying before I make a purchase.

They have grape Kool-Aid at the farmer’s market?

The Race Card on March 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM

in other words..ASK CONDI FOR SOME ADVICE!

christene on March 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I suspect they have. As to whether they are following that advice, well… I doubt it.

Ditto for whatever advice Colin Powell gave them. I notice he’s been very silent lately, after his spate of enthusiasm around the Inauguration.

By the way, look at the byline on Hillary’s new site:Diplomacy Inaction

unclesmrgol on March 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM

White pride.

The Race Card on March 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I’m Irish and Choctaw, so that would be Red and Green pride.

thomasaur on March 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I think it’s fair to conclude from her criticism of Cheney that she’s a Black Racist.

radiofreevillage on March 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Sounds a bit harsh and knee jerk, but you’re entitled to your opinion, I guess. Scratch a liberal and,..well, you know how the rest of it goes.

a capella on March 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I wish Condi were president

Opinionnation on March 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Cheney/Palin 2012!

libertylady on March 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Class act. If Obama could only find one like her he may be making less gaffs.

MSGTAS on March 26, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Opinionnation on March 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM

why?

Conservative Voice on March 26, 2009 at 3:41 AM

The Race Card

Your moral superiority is wearing thin. You suggest that race is the only thing that matters to some. Clearly you are talking about yourself. Fear of the racism charge and societal angst over the sins of our fathers is a big part of what got your messiah elected. The fact that many of us see past Obama’s “blackness” to the turd beneath is what galls you.
Take the plank out of your own eye before you point to the splinter in another’s.

SKYFOX on March 26, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Does Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter chirping bother her? Why didn’t Jay Boy follow up with that question? Oh, Forgot. Obama’s a Democrat and their chirping has stopped except for some racist innuendos from Slick Willie.

Herb on March 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM

We’ve got to get her blogging …

agreed