Video: Another cautionary Card Check tale
posted at 2:13 pm on March 25, 2009 by Ed Morrissey
In my numerous posts on Card Check, I remind people that the secret ballot in union organizing elections protects employees from both sides — unions that want to gain dues-paying members, and employers who don’t want to deal with unions. But what happens when an employer colludes with a union, bought off by the union for debt relief? That scenario unfolded in Indiana, and employees there found no refuge from harassment, as Fox News reports:
[H]er larger point here is this: if there had not been card check, if there had been a secret ballot, nobody in the plant would have known how she voted and therefore she would have not been in a position of being threatened by her fellow employees.
In this case, the employees had to file a demand for a secret-ballot decertification vote immediately after their employer recognized the union, once they had strong-armed enough cards out of the workers. They got rid of the union, but only after being bullied and harassed into certifying them through the card-check process. This is a clear example of why employees need secret-ballot elections for unionization, and how Card Check can be used by union thugs into gaining access to workplaces illegitimately.
Previous posts on Card Check:
- Card Check: A cautionary tale
- Breaking: Specter commits to opposing Card Check
- Card Check backers: For us, it’s all, or nothing
- Retailers offer compromise on Card Check
- Audio: Mitt Romney on Card Check
- Union employees go on strike … against the union
- Video: SEIU accuses Card Check opponent of wanting workers to die
- Johnson against Card Check, too?
- Video: Murkowski tells AK legislature she’ll oppose Card Check
- Video: Warren Buffett on Card Check
- Video: Blue Dog speaks out against Card Check
- Conference call: Rep. John Kline on Card Check
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Dr. Anne Layne-Farrar, Card Check; John Taylor, Getting Off Track
- Three Dems wavering on Card Check in the Senate?
- Obama tells unions that Card Check will pass this year
- CPAC Interview: Card Check
- Obama moving away from fear-based politics?
- Secret ballots for workers in Mexico, but not the US?
- Will Stern strong-arm unions to join the SEIU?
- Video: Labor officials can’t explain why they need to dump the secret ballot
- Card check a dead letter?
- Audio: Sharpton opposing Card Check?
- Card Check loses a vote? Perhaps
- Video: Blago, SEIU, and Card Check
- DeMint conference call: Card Check, bailouts
- Card Check: A direct pipeline to corruption and abuse
- Can Obama get Democrats to support Card Check?
- Video: The Card Check ad CBS doesn’t want you to see
- Irony escapes the House Democratic Caucus
- Guess who used the secret ballot … again?
- Video: Meet Union Boss Bill
- USA Today: Stop Card Check …
- Video: McGovern on Card Check
- George McGovern to fight Card Check in debate ad
- Video: What if Congress passed Card Check for all elections?
- FRC Action Summit: Barbara Comstock on EFCA
- George McGovern: Stop Card Check
- Where did the SEIU get $150 million for politics?
- Right Online Conference: John Fund
- Maybe this is why they need Card Check?
- Video: “I Hate Heroes”
- Johnny Sac takes on the unions