Surprisingly awesome: “Apocalypse Meow”

posted at 6:28 pm on March 25, 2009 by Allahpundit

I saw this before Ace posted it but had the same thought: This may very well be the closest we get to a movie about American good guys fighting jihadi bad guys. According to Wikipedia, the original concept dealt with Vietnam but the setting’s been updated to the Iranian hostage crisis. Sure looks like Iraq or Afghanistan to me, but maybe even the Japanese need a bit of narrative distance to make it politically “safe” for audiences. Move the timeline back 30 years, make the characters rats and bunnies instead of people, and suddenly it’s safe to wage war on terrorists.

Some canny American distributor’s going to buy the rights, overdub it, and make a small fortune on DVD sales. Exit question: Are the cutesy-poo animals a fatal flaw? It worked for “Maus.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Japanese word for rabbit is Usagi
USA- g.i.
Pretty cool

jjshaka on March 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Wow, I didn’t even think of that…awesome!!

Cylor on March 26, 2009 at 12:06 AM

I was expecting to show it to my son, 8, future Army Military Strategist for the Pentagon. (I swear I dare you to challenge him on any Halo games or Age of Empires, take your pick). We don’t have an Xbox for this reason.

But damn it is frustrating with no subtitles; yeah I know you guys say it kills it but other than kewl character names, I can’t follow the story straight.

Hard to see cute animals in distress. Somebody scared a couple of deer (Mom and baby) in the back of the house and I dunno if they were run over on Rt. 5 here. Dammit.

ProudPalinFan on March 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I’ll play him in a game of “Rome Total War”. I do love to turn the war dogs loose on light infantry.

DFCtomm on March 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM

I understand that pain and suffering are great for creating great art. Therefore we are due for some great art in this country. I mean the themes in our puffed up poor little rich kid world have been very lacking.

People need art as an escape. Okay saying this is art is stretching it but…..

I’ve been in a fantastic mood since I first watched it hours ago! And I was quite entertaining at the little meeting I just attended making little clown puppets to give sick kids at the hospital.

Thanks Allah for making my day!!! (That wasn’t blaphemy was it?)

petunia on March 26, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I almost creamed my effing pants.

Theworldisnotenough on March 26, 2009 at 12:26 AM

The Japanese word for rabbit is Usagi
USA- g.i.
Pretty cool

jjshaka on March 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM

That’s right COOL!. Ever read Usagi Yojimbo?

Theworldisnotenough on March 26, 2009 at 12:27 AM

P.S. Don’t let the cuteness fool you. Rabbits in the wild are mean little hossenfeffers.
MirCat on March 25, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Not one reference to the killer rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail!
KillerKane on March 25, 2009 at 8:39 PM

If you don’t believe real bunnys can hurt an enemy watch this real bunny chase a snake up a tree.
WildBillK on March 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I put a 30 second snippet of the Monty Python killer bunny skit at the beginning of the video of the real bunny attacking a big snake, so I indirectly referenced it KillerKane.

WildBillK on March 26, 2009 at 12:31 AM

okay as anyone can clearly see, the year 1991 is referenced in the very opening credits.

My best guess is that this is actually going to deal with either Gulf War 1 (1990-1991ish) or Gulf War 2 (O:IF to the rest of the folks). My bet is that all the text is setting historical background

ahem [my take at director's chair]

“Saddam Hussein [cue huge bloated camel with creepy hitleresque 'stache] invaded Kuwait in 1990. A combined UN force backed by the US, and Britain was organized to force him out, at the request of the Kuwati government. As part of the pre-invasion planning a small Spec-Ops group was inserted to wreak havoc on the retreating Republican Guard forces [cue scenes of wanton murder of "innocent Kuwati bunnies"]. They were known as…..”

cue opener

SgtSVJones on March 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM

The Japanese are lucky. It must be nice to live in a country where political correctness hasn’t taken over. You’d never see something like this made in America.

Grayson on March 26, 2009 at 12:39 AM

By the Power of Gray Skull that was awesome!!!

I didn’t care if I did not know what they said it was amazing and cute!

FontanaConservative on March 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM

“Apocalypse Meow”

People keep calling me (apacalyps looks around… long pause). Wait a minute, there’s no birthday party for me here!

apacalyps on March 26, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I wonder if these rabbits are tough enough to take on a US president?

Occasus on March 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM

I’m glad I watched (and read) Watership Down as a kid… otherwise the Platoon + Cute Rabbits juxtaposition might have traumatized me.

Sackett on March 26, 2009 at 1:12 AM

By the Power of Gray Skull that was awesome!!!

I didn’t care if I did not know what they said it was amazing and cute!

FontanaConservative on March 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Hey I got my son the dvd set of the original He-man for Christmas this year! His twin two-year-old boys now shout, “I have the power and pull swords out of their diapers just like their father used to!” I’m such a good grandma.

petunia on March 26, 2009 at 1:18 AM

petunia on March 26, 2009 at 1:18 AM
Thats awesome. I thought no one would really get that. From a complete stranger, I wish them well in these abysmal times.

I’m way too young to think about me being a Grandparent. But you seem to enjoy it so maybe someday I won’t mind :).

FontanaConservative on March 26, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Now we know why Jimmah Carter freaked out when the rabbit came swimming at him.

Mallard T. Drake on March 26, 2009 at 1:30 AM

The only thing that can stop those rabbits is the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

AaronGuzman on March 26, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Bunny Trail to 9/11

Kid from Brooklyn on March 26, 2009 at 6:35 AM

“Hare Come the Marines”?

Shy Guy on March 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM

The only thing that can stop those rabbits is the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

AaronGuzman on March 26, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Those rabbits are dynamite!

pseudonominus on March 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I’m buyin’ it…at any cost….that was awesome.

There’s something about a wabbit releasing a battle rifle, drawing a sidearm and flawlessly executing a failure drill that makes my leg tingle.

LimeyGeek on March 26, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Loved it.

sonofdy on March 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM

What ever is being said about past time frames for the setting of that clip… those bunnies were packing modern tricked-out M4s, and wearing modern commo gear and tactical nylon.

Frozen Tex on March 26, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Very cool!

threeCents on March 26, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Don’t #@#! with Packy!

JVelez on March 26, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Don’t #@#! with Packy!

JVelez on March 26, 2009 at 11:03 AM

“Packy”? Did Prince William write the script?

LimeyGeek on March 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Palin/Packy 2012!

Sapwolf on March 26, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I take it that they must scream? My cat always ripped the throat out of bunnies before bringing them home (and leaving them on the doormat!). I’m only curious because my daughter asked, and I hate telling her I don’t know.

Anna on March 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM

When I was a child I used to raise rabbits. I only heard a rabbit make a vocal sound once. The rabbit was being injured. I never want to hear that sound again. It was a horrible, piercing, shrieking sound.

clarsen13 on March 26, 2009 at 1:11 PM

It re created the finality of death in battle to stoke the adrenaline rush that comes facing the real deal. You only have to be shot at once to get educated

Yet I was laughing and the animals were so darned cute. It was better than a lot of war movies

On the other hand I suspect animals may have been harmed in making the movie, and were probably eaten later

A man I knew talked about going to the movies in Japan while in the merchant marine. The guts and gore exceeded our film and the audience would be full of children who would not be allowed in the US. He said where American kids would have hid their eyes at the worst parts, Japanese kids kept their eyes glued to the screen but covered their ears and drank it all in.

entagor on March 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Shouldn’t that be “Alpacalypse Meow”??

I know…baaaaaad. Those were camels and not alpacas, but whatever.

Me likeeee.