Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on March 25, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

This one’s fresh off the press — conference, that is. This exchange took place between Ed Henry of CNN and President Obama during last night’s White House event, when Obama thought he’d gotten the best of Henry:

Henry: But on AIG, why did you wait — why did you wait days to come out and express that outrage? It seems like the action is coming out of New York and the attorney general’s office. It took you days to come public with Secretary Geithner and say, “Look, we’re outraged.” Why did it take so long?

Obama: It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I’m talking about before I speak.

The problem with this is that it took him a couple of days — and he still got it wrong.  If you’ll recall, Obama and his team first claimed to know nothing about the bonuses, and then modified that claim to knowing nothing about the amendment in the omnibus plan that allowed them to get paid.  Subsequently, we discovered that not only did Tim Geithner and Congress discuss the bonuses on March 3rd (and that Geithner wrote an e-mail about them while with the New York Fed in November), but that it was Geithner and his staff that directed Chris Dodd to make the necessary changes to the amendment that enabled the bonuses. In otherwords, Outraged Obama made the bonuses possible.

Even the press laughed at this Obamateurism.  Even after a couple of days on an issue, Obama doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at [email protected] with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

It doesn’t matter. It’s Obama. We need him. We’ve all been here just waiting for him, so ,, let him be, ok?!

JellyToast on March 25, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Lol. That’s rich.

Can we tax it?

bluelightbrigade on March 25, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Even the press laughed at this Obamateurism.

i think they laughed at ed henry.

sesquipedalian on March 25, 2009 at 8:10 AM

He didn’t know because. Uhh. Uhh. The TOTUS was on strike re-negotiating its bonus? Uhh. Uhhh. Ummm. UhhhBama.

Key West Reader on March 25, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I don’t think the press was laughing at Obama. They were laughing to ease the tension of a pointed question and a short answer.

CarolynM on March 25, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Oh no he di’int! ‘O’ seemed a bit peeved, no?

TinMan13 on March 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Obama: It took me a couple of days to get my “outraged, yet still cool” look just right.

anniekc on March 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Ed, according to Letterman ‘Great Moments in Presidential Speeches’ is now off limits so will you please follow along with the bouncing ball and quit being obstructionist?

Well good for you then.

Limerick on March 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM

so folks are irked that obama didn’t show feigned outrage earlier? Give me a break. It wouldn’t be real outrage, no matter when.

gatorboy on March 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM

this is no different then BDS from the left.

Seven Seas on March 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM

That is a defensive non-answer. The press laughed because they knew Obama wanted them to.

BigD on March 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM

The real outrage is that no reporters pressed him on this last night. Last week’s outrage was all a charade. Dodd and Geitner both lied and no one asked Obama to comment on this.

Doughboy on March 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM

O boy,that was the wrong question!

Obamas facial expression,

I can’t believe you asked me that question!

Me thinks,the journalist isn’t towing the party line,

so,I bet he’ll be heading to Siberia,for re-education!

canopfor on March 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

so folks are irked that obama didn’t show feigned outrage earlier?

gatorboy on March 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM

We’re just asking that he stop lying. Or, if he can’t help himself, as certainly seems to be the case, that he learn how to lie well and stop insulting our intelligence with these pathetic tales that no one would accept from a 10-year old.

progressoverpeace on March 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

TinMan13 on March 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Yes he did seem peeved…. the nicotine fit was burbling up to the surface, it was quite evident.

tru2tx on March 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

What a nincompoop.

Did it hurt its widdle feewings?

hillbillyjim on March 25, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Jeeezus people, can we please let the man eat his waffle?

Idfaciam on March 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Seven Seas on March 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM

It’s hardly ODS.

To paraphrase The One, there’s got to be a little gallows humor to get us through the next four years.

misslizzi on March 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Seven Seas on March 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Start your own blog and make your rules there.

doriangrey on March 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I watched the press show last night with my wife and 17 year old son. We all remained quiet until the end of the show. At that point, my wife looked at me and said “he never answered a single question directly.” Bingo, that’s exactly what this snake oil salesmen did. Ummed his way through with long drawn out responses, without ever answering a single question.

I wonder how the press will react to being pinned down by the Obama gang of thugs.

Keemo on March 25, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Seven Seas on March 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Are you kidding? There were several to choose from yesterday. Personally, I preferred where The Precedent defended his anti-charity stance by citing a fairness argument for a flat-tax structure, where the unfairness he pointed out depended solely on the progressive tax structure.

In that sense, what it would do is it would equalize. When I give $100, I’d get the same amount of deduction as when some, a bus driver who’s making $50,000 a year, or $40,000 a year, gives that same $100. Right now, he gets 28 percent, he gets to write off 28 percent. I get to write off 39 percent. I don’t think that’s fair.

LOL.

progressoverpeace on March 25, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Glad I had better things to do last night than listen to Dear Leader evade questions.

rbj on March 25, 2009 at 8:26 AM

progressoverpeace on March 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Couldn’t have said it any better myself, so I won’t even try.

thomasaur on March 25, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Like I posted last night during the presser right after he misspoke:

Did “special olympics” just say that he likes to know what he is talking about before he speaks?

ladyingray on March 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM

the obamateurisms of the day have got to go. maybe it was funny first, but soon you’ll be digging deep, deep, to find something remotely interesting.this is no different then BDS from the left.Seven Seas on March 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I demur. BDS was founded on lies and ignorance. Obama’s irresponsible run away socialist spending will add more to the public debt in one year than Bush did in eight years. Anyone not deeply concerned by his reckless spending is math challenged.

The exposure of President Obamateur’s blatant lies is a great public service. They should however be stored in one accessible site so that the full extent of his mendacity and incompetence can be readily digested by those who are slow to figure him out.

Basilsbest on March 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Keemo on March 25, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Obama rarely answers a question directly or completely. This has been going on ever since his primary campaigns, and even before.

If the press ever reacts appropriately, it will sadly be delayed.

misslizzi on March 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM

EXCLUSIVE: At the core of Obama’s controversial cap-and-trade carbon reduction plan is a Chicago-based carbon-trading exchange he helped fund years earlier. (foxnews.com)

Sure wish Major Garrett would have asked Obama about this exclusive story Fox is running today.

Keemo on March 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM

We will recover from this recession. But it will take time, it will take patience, and it will take an understanding that when we all work together, when each of us looks beyond our own short-term interests to the wider set of obligations we have to each other, that’s when we succeed.”

Translated: From each according to his ability to each according to his need… Now I wonder who originally said that….

doriangrey on March 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Speaking of obamateurism, did you notice BSOTUS refer to Major Garrett as “Garrett” during his comments?

ladyingray on March 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM

The fact that the President admits “knowing nothing” is obvious.
Thanks.

elderberry on March 25, 2009 at 8:38 AM

It took him several days to get his story straight and loaded in TOTUS. Im sure he cant keep his lies straight.

Such fake outrage. btw, I love the obamateurism of the day, so dont stop.

becki51758 on March 25, 2009 at 8:40 AM

“You know, there was a lot of outrage and finger-pointing last week, and much of it is understandable,” Obama said of the bonus issue in his opening remarks. “I’m as angry as anybody about those bonuses that went to some of the very same individuals who brought our financial system to its knees.”

“Bankers and executives on Wall Street need to realize that enriching themselves on the taxpayers’ dime is inexcusable, that the days of outsized rewards and reckless speculation that puts us all at risk have to be over,” the president told reporters and the nation.

Compare these words spoken by Obama last night, to the fact that he is pushing through a huge carbon tax bill that will benefit a company that he & his wife are invested in.

Keemo on March 25, 2009 at 8:40 AM

If at first you try to deceive …

tarpon on March 25, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Obamateurism of the Day.

This is a good idea. I think it could be improve if you could include on the same clip an example of the inconsistency. I say this as someone who has no idea whether this is technically possible.

davod on March 25, 2009 at 8:45 AM

is this like the time he told reporters he likes to know what he is doing before he applies for a job….therefore he wasnt going to run for POTUS TOTUS…

alexraye on March 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Obamateurism/Orwellism of the Day –

The Global War on Terror is now the Overseas Contingency Operation.

The Liberal commentator on Fox said the change was a good business decison. He also said we were not at war.

This actually can tie in with the change from Islamic Terrorism to Man Made Disaster:

The Overseas Contingency Operation to alleviate Made Disasters. Tame enough for even the most radical opponents of the Great Satan.

davod on March 25, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Add this to Barry’s Top 5 non answer-answers.

5) We’ve formed a task force to look into it. – e.g. nothing will happen
4) That’s irrelevant. – because I say so
3) I inherited this mess. – Bush did it
2) It’s silly season. – see #4
1) That’s a “distraction”. – Its not education, healthcare or energy

swede7 on March 25, 2009 at 8:54 AM

QUOTE: “I intend to run for President of the United States”

Wasn’t this statement considered the biggest “foul-up” in American history?

LINKS: [email protected], [email protected]

Rovin on March 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM

The press fake-laughs for President Affirmative Action, but I’m noticing less-and-less enthusiasm for it.

Remember to verbally abuse any lib media head you see.

ex-Democrat on March 25, 2009 at 8:56 AM

You can fool most of the people all of the time ….

“I have listened to President Obama on all occasions and I believe that he knows what he’s doing and I am confident that he will succeed. I also believe that he is trying to get all the issues resolved that are important like healthcare, cleaner air to breath, etc. Most people I have spoken with has issues with doctors, because they feel they are not getting care because they don’t have insurance.

See I understand that in order to cut the deficit, it’s going to take money.”

fogw on March 25, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I thought they were laughing at his joke…

funsutton on March 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM

the press didn’t laugh at Bush unless he really said something truly funny. they are just tittering at everything the Won says. is this still worshipful?

kelley in virginia on March 25, 2009 at 9:00 AM

because i don’t watch bambi, i don’t know if the press is still being fawning or just nervously laughing at his idiocy.

kelley in virginia on March 25, 2009 at 9:01 AM

For those that displayed the fortitude to watch the Obambi presser i commend you.As for myself i lack the inner fortitude to endure such myself.

heshtesh on March 25, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Translation: I don’t know anything about economics, nor am I capable of understanding that I was partly responsible for the bonuses being in the “stimulus” package. Therefore, I have to think about a good way to weasel out of the fact that I am a massive massive idiot.

mjk on March 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Every time this Precedent opens his mouth, it proves what a solid move it was by his handlers in sealing his college records.

Question from an unfawning media I’d like to see: Mr. President, did you flunk math? We don’t know because we’ve never seen what courses you took, and the grades you made in those courses, as you’ve sealed your college transcripts. Is this what you call ‘transparency’?

RickZ on March 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM

He’s so sassy!

JohnJ on March 25, 2009 at 9:17 AM

The guy cannot articulate a thought on his own. His words are written by God knows who and he dutifully reads what he’s told to. What other conclusion could you reach up to this point? His ONLY qualification (if you can call it that) is that he was electable.

I’d like to see the comments today about that dog and pony show they tried to pass of as a press conference. I do not believe for one second the whole thing wasn’t scripted. His “handlers” know he’s an idiot, how long before everyone else figures it out?

repvoter on March 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM

This is racist. You people don’t give Barry enough credit for…for…for…just being able to speak. Don’t you know that the psychic schism caused by the legacy of slavery makes it almost impossible for most Blacks to adopt the English language?

mr1216 on March 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I came in 10 minutes or so into “depress conference”, and when the wife asked if I wanted her to rewind the DVR I declined. I also got fed up with the whole thing with 10 minutes remaining, and switched to something else I had recorded, so I know I didn’t see the whole thing. But in what I did see, I noticed that no matter what question was asked, he managed to get “health care” into his answer.

Thank goodness for the DVR. I have a feeling it’s going to be essential to my mental health the next few years to always have something good when Mr. Fixit comes on TV — which, it seems, is going to be very, very often.

RegularJoe on March 25, 2009 at 9:51 AM

It’s above his pay-grade…

reshas1 on March 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM

B.O. needs to be reminded that he is The President of the United States and not the Mayor of Chicago.

The type of Chicago Machine thug tactics that Mayor Daley uses in his press conferences may work with the Chicago news outlets, but when B.O. tries to employ the same tactics on someone like Ed Henry, not to mention the rest of the Washington Press Corps, it falls flat and makes him look even more incompetent and crass than he is proving himself to be already.

pilamaye on March 25, 2009 at 10:01 AM

…and then modified that claim to knowing nothing about the amendment in the omnibus plan that allowed them to get paid.

Didn’t Obama read the bill before he signed it? Was there a “signing statement” where he explained the things he thought wrong about the bill — those things he felt Constitutionally unable to enforce? Would such a “signing statement” have bound private individuals not in a reporting relationship to the President?

As reshas1 said, “It’s above his pay-grade…” Even I as a non-attorney know you don’t sign on the dotted line unless you completely understand what you are signing. This guy is totally clueless….

unclesmrgol on March 25, 2009 at 10:11 AM

You just know Axelrod wrote that line and Obama rehearsed it and was waiting for a chance to say it. It will be the soundbite played over and over again, and the new meme that will get him out of any hot water over his administration’s lies and obfuscations about when they knew about the bonuses.

Well played, Mr. Axelrod.

rockmom on March 25, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I wish some reporter would ask 0 if he plans to do any fundraisers or campaign for Chris Dodd. THAT would be worth the price of admission.

I watched PBS’s postgame show last night and the liberals were pretty tough on 0 – Al Hunt, Jeff Greenfield, and Jim Hoagland. All agreed that 0 did not bring his “A” game. Of course, Gwen Ifill was completely in the tank and challenged the others whenever they questioned 0’s magnificence.

rockmom on March 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I saw F-darts in his eyes. Yikes!

Candy Slice on March 25, 2009 at 10:41 AM

rockmom on March 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Anyone know how Ifill’s book sold? Is it in the remainder bin yet?

bookman on March 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Since when? I’ve never heard him open his mouth to say something to which he actually gave any thought.

UltimateBob on March 25, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Can we go back to having a dumb president again. e cocked up far less.

jukin on March 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I’m sure that’ll work in international relations.

“Mr. President, China has just sent warships to the vicinity of one of our sonar vessels. They are demanding that we leave the area. What is our response?”

“Uh…, tell the Chinese Govt. I’ll call them on Tuesday?”

cs89 on March 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM

We all had to get our lies straight, as we do every day. Besides, the TOTUS was on strike. The Wednesday night party at the White House was top priority, or was it preparing for Leno… It took us two days to understand Geithner’s convoluted reasoning. And we had to couch this in terms of getting the heat off … ourselves. And just because I signed the bill into law that would protect those bonuses doesn’t mean I support them!!! It was just a ploy to um, ah, oh yeah, to get the heat off … ourselves.

Christian Conservative on March 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

repvoter on March 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Seriously, who is supplying the answers? Group project? One man or woman? The TOTUS is sentient? Aliens (ET not illegal)? Bill Ayres? Rhom Emmanuel alone? We need to know who is typing on the TOTUS. This is getting too weird.

Haunches on March 25, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Time Magazine apparently is trying to preemptively co-opt your new gig, Ed, though in Time’s case, I’m sure they’re hoping this is just a one-time thing they can forget about chronicling once Obama gets his act together.

jon1979 on March 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM

So his retard joke on Leno was made after thoughtful deliberation?

malclave on March 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I have something really deep to say about this. But I need a couple days to get my thoughts together. Check back friday. I’ll know what I’m talking about then.

Ampersand on March 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM