George Soros: “I’m having a very good crisis”

posted at 8:47 pm on March 25, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s a comfort to know not everyone’s suffering in this horrible global recession. I guess sometimes the good guys do finish first.

Remember that Jake DeSantis letter to AIG this morning and how sympathetic it made you feel about the plight of our plucky financiers? Prepare to be cleansed.

George Soros, who predicted the global financial crisis twice before, was one of the few people to anticipate and prepare for the current economic collapse…

And while the financial crisis continued to deepen across the globe, the 78-year-old still managed to make $1.1 billion last year.

‘It is, in a way, the culminating point of my life’s work,’ he told national newspaper The Australian.

So saith the man who broke the Bank of England, twirling his new Snidely Whiplash mustache. Exit question one: What’s he going to do with that billion? The left could always use a few more media-watchdog smear sites, I guess. Exit question two: I do a lot of goofing on our more conspiratorial-minded readers — birth-certificate Truthers, NAU believers, Glenn Beck fans, etc — but since the news is slow, I’m going to throw it open in the comments. What dastardly secretive collusion does Soros’s windfall prove? Did he support The One because he knew that his economic plan would further ruin the global economy, enabling a Soros profit? Or did Obama do that for him unbidden, as a solid? I knew Geithner looked shifty!

Update: The obligatory bailout sketch re-post.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I thought cons are against a rich hunt.

getalife on March 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I am against rich hunts. I hold no grudges toward those, that are rich. But I do, when it’s illbegotten gain. Soros was exiled from a country because of his financial doings. Then makes a comment , that this is the culmination of his lifes work, after making billions, while the global economies tank?

That’s a very arrogant, yet cryptic statement to make.

capejasmine on March 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Is that Rodney Dangerfield in the headline photo?

juanito on March 26, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I thought cons are against a rich hunt.

getalife on March 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM

And I thought libs liked gays, unless they’re Republican Senators.

Point being, both sides go after obvious hypocrisy, and the shameless money-making by Soros is exactly that.

If your side gets to out gay Republicans and demonize them under the guise of hypocrisy, surely we’re allowed the same.

Esthier on March 26, 2009 at 11:10 AM

capejasmine on March 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Are his gains illegal?

Esthier on March 26, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Okay, now seriously, you’re sounding like the Dems who cry “Well, Bush did it, so Obama can, too!”

misslizzi on March 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Flaming, raging hypocrite.

TheUnrepentantGeek on March 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I was working for the British government at the time that Sterling was devalued. The British were wrong to defend Sterling the way they did… its an invitation to speculators to make money. They were advised at the time that it would happen and carried on in spite of having excellent advice from civil servants. Soros and many others are just doing their job well. It isn’t a conspiracy and the gains he made would have been based on Q4 results and would not have factored in 09 but I am sure he and many others were buying up fire sale equity… especially financials.

lexhamfox on March 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM

misslizzi on March 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I’m only arguing that getalife is being a hypocrite, no more no less. I don’t care about Soros.

And yes, if Bush did something then of course Obama can. So far as I understand it, Bush never broke any laws, despite what idiots claim.

Esthier on March 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM

The only good thing about George Soros is that he is 78. Surely it won’t before his power is diminished by age related mental frailties.

In fact that makes me wonder if it is possible to infect him with something that causes Alzheimers.

(No I didn’t call you Shirley!)

petunia on March 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

The obvious mechanism for trashing the financial system was ACORN and others pushing for subprime lending and greater application the CRA. Then they made Fannie and Freddie package all this paper in bad investments with government backing which it could never afford if it blew up, which it was sure to do. AM talk radio had that one right years ago. Then they stirred all that bad paper into the financial system and watched it collapse.

So I’d look at people close to ACORN, Fannie, Freddie, those pushing the CRA, and those who claimed there wasn’t a problem. Do any of those politicians have close ties to Soros? Oh, all of them do?

Beagle on March 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Are his gains illegal?

I don’t know if they are, but I surely think this warrants an investigation. To make that kind of money, while others are losing their jobs, and retirement funds, and on top of that, make the comment, that this is the culmination of a lifes work…..coupled with evidence, that he was exiled from Thailand, for tanking their economy. I know where my supspicions lie…and I’d sure like to try and prove them.

I didn’t make the statement specifically. It was a generalization.

Look at all the threats against the AIG execs, that got bonuses. The threats they’re recieving. Why aren’t any that backed the Stimulus, and voted for it, recieving this kind of treatment? They authorized it, and voted for it. They didn’t read it? Well tough noogies. They didn’t read it, but signed off on it. Now they need to man up, or woman up, whatever the case may be, and take responsibility for this.

Also noted in the “I Quit AIG” email. None of those were responsible for what happened to AIG. Those that were responsible, are long gone, and probably out tanking another major business.

capejasmine on March 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM

He didn’t fund Obama for nothing

I do not pretend to understand Soros’ entire motives. However, a radical anti government socialist with a big head who enjoys the good life and bears grudges against most of America’s sacred institutions like Obama is a useful tool for the likes of Soros. Point him towards the Treasury and he willingly wreaks havoc needed for the Great atheist speculator Soros

Soros specializes in destroying currencies to reap profits

This must be his greatest creation. Mephistopheles redux

entagor on March 26, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Beagle on March 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Okay, but what can/should be done about it?

misslizzi on March 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM

“Don’t you get it! Potter’s not selling. Potter’s buying!” – George Bailey from It’s a wonderful life.

shick on March 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Okay, but what can/should be done about it?

Nothing can be done because the biggest ACORN-Soros guy is president and his JD won’t do anything. Throw in the biggest Freddie-Fannie liars running Congress and there won’t be any sort of fair look into it there either. Maybe historians will connect the obvious dots, but the mainstream media won’t because it’s in the tank for the people responsible. And of course now the newspaper bailout will officially make all the papers Pravda West.

Beagle on March 26, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Awwwww! A nice cup of old fashioned conservatism. If Denis Kusinic was pro-women-enslavement, he could call this whole blog RINOs.

radiofreevillage on March 26, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I suppose it’s already occurred to most of you that if Geithner gains the ability to take over and manage ‘systemically’ dangerous hedge funds(Soros excluded, of course)that he(OBama)could then conceivably manipulate the market. The one area, that up until now, he could find no way to control. This man in the WH is truly dangerous–whether from naivete or purpose no longer matters. Wondering whether this is his aim–it is cetainly that of the Hill.

jeanie on March 26, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I saw Soros on PBS several months ago promoting his global economy wihout national borders agenda. He thinks national sovereignty is an out-dated notion and that the world will inevitably have to unite economically under one system.

The ideas he espoused on that show and his obvious backing of the far-left Obama was yet another reason, among many, that I did not vote for Obama. Soros is a serious player and the US is his current target.

inmypajamas on March 26, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I thought this was a place for adult conversation. This snarky bull$hit from getalife and rino is getting tiresome.

Here ya go:

eaglesdontflock on March 26, 2009 at 2:19 PM

inmypajamas on March 26, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Did not know this. Cannot get my head around a ‘world’ economy. Cannot see it happening any time soon either. Just imagine sharing an ‘economy’ with Russia , third world countries, China and the Middle East. Don’t think they or us are ready for this. Still–they’d be stuck with part of the debt our grandkids will have lol.

jeanie on March 26, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Soros is scum.. and did you know he gave money to McCain for years?

popularpeoplesfront on March 26, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Soros is a blight on humanity. A moral person would have used his “power” to defuse a bomb in the market. If he didn’t set the charge, he was certainly glad it was there.

darktood on March 26, 2009 at 4:43 PM

darktood on March 26, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Soros has never intimated that he was a moral man. On the contrary, he is proud that he lacks conscience and brags that as long as you make money, the consequences of your actions are irrelevant.

A blight is a kind description of him. I believe he engineered this whole meltdown, the same way he meddled with the markets before the 2004 and 2006 elections. When that didn’t work, he got nastier.

eaglesdontflock on March 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Someone should organize a bus trip to Soro’s house and hold a tea party on his front lawn.

SoldiersMom on March 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I wonder if we will ever find out who’s account it was that drew down the $550 Billion back on Sept 15th 2008 which started this crisis? Any bets it was this guy?

JeffVader on March 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Soros is scum.. and did you know he gave money to McCain for years?

popularpeoplesfront on March 26, 2009 at 3:24 PM

That is such a farce…aren’t you embarrassed to regurgitate such nonsense.
This is what the left does, takes something out of context then twist into something “evil”.
Better do some more research…I don’t have the patience to school you on this subject, but if you stick to your post, then you are a fool, and no better then the leftist liberals.

right2bright on March 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM

What? Don’t you trust the ‘Nirther web site ppf provided?

OpenSecrets shows one $1000 contribution to John McCain from a George Soros in Katonahk, NY, in 1999.

Y-not on March 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Soros openly bragging about profiteering off US tragedies and disasters – any American political party that accepts money from this turd is NOT AMERICAN.

GOT THAT?

END OF STORY.

FULL STOP.

manofaiki on March 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Dagan McDowell of Fox News just defended Soros. That establishes what she is, and all that is left is to haggle about the price.

Soros openly supported McCain in the Republican primaries against Bush, purportedly funneling money to his campaign. Wonder if he used the same tactics as with Obama. I had a source on this but can’t find it now. So shoot me.

eaglesdontflock on March 26, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Soros is the puppetmaster to the Manchurian candidate Barry.
So, if I were to say that I am hoping for a aneurysim for Soros, would that be wrong.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on March 27, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I like Soros, solely because he makes the wingers heads explode. And that wingers, is PRICELESS.

athensboy on March 25, 2009 at 9:02 PM

If you like him so much and you’re so KKE Red to the core, Then GTF Out Of My Country! Μουνόπανο!

Go join the “youth” movement back in the land of our origin. You know, the ones that Georgie bankrolls? Yeah, Them. You sound like a fan.

Teddy on March 27, 2009 at 5:48 AM

SoldiersMom on March 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Tea Party nothing. Teabags won’t stop him because the Press is in his pocket. The law won’t stop him because the government is in his pocket. Only the people can stop him. I’m thinking about 8 feet of rope and a sturdy tree branch should work just fine. Failing that, a 30-0-6 sniper round would work nicely as well.

Not that I’m condoning violence, or course. Nor am I contemplating it. (don’t even own any guns, more’s the pity.) Just saying, if it were to happen, I would shed no tears.

As the saying goes, there are four boxes to use in defense of Freedom. Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Ammo, to be used in that order. Seems to me the first three haven’t been working out so well.

wearyman on March 27, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Mr. Soros is a large part of our problems. He uses and abuses only those that serve his agenda.

If Mr. Soros is a naturalized citizen we need to withdraw his citizenship because of his actions to undermine our economy for personal gain. If he still remains a citizen of Hungry and is here on a visa we should withdraw his visa to rid U.S. of his destabilizing influence.

MSGTAS on March 27, 2009 at 10:48 AM