Announcing the Obamateurism of the Day feature!

posted at 11:30 am on March 21, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Since Slate seems to have conceded the field and decided to remain locked in the past, I’ll fill the gap here at Hot Air. As often as we have material, I’ll post an Obamateurism of the Day right here at Hot Air. If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamaism. I have the separate account ready now, and I’ll post the funniest and most embarrassing rhetorical stumbles by The One over the next four years. Unlike Jacob Weisberg, though, I’ll give it up once Obama leaves office.

This week has certainly given us plenty of material, but I’ve already linked the AIG-is-a-suicide-bomber and the Special Olympics gaffes that Weisberg is trying mightily not to spot. Instead, here’s a different kind of stumble, from Politico, demonstrating that the White House can’t quite figure out who represents what district in California:

Obama did the town hall, making the usual introductions: “We have Hilda Solis,” applause! and “The lieutenant governor,” applause! He added: “Got an outstanding member of Congress, Rep. Loretta Sanchez,” applause!

“Now, this is not Loretta’s district; this is actually Dana Rohrabacher’s district.” Boos come from the Dem crowd. “No, no, no, we actually — our office screwed up, and I think didn’t get the invitation to him on time, so he’s not here. That was a screw-up on our part. So I want to let him know we’re sorry about that, and I want everybody to give him a big round of applause; it’s his district.”

Update: Actually, I like the title Obamateurism of the Day. It gives a little more leeway on the range of material, and it flows better than Obamaisms, which sounds a little clumsy when spoken aloud. I’ve changed the title of the post to reflect the new title. I’m keeping the e-mail addy the same, though, and it will be posted on each entry. Also, include your blog link on any submissions and I’ll credit you with a link.

I also liked Malabarackisms, but that limits us to just malaprops.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

AnninCA on March 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Agreed, Obama inherited an economic downturn.

So did Bush in 2000 (.com bubble bursting) But somehow the idiot Bush managed not to sink the entire world economy! That was a really, really bad economic down turn and handled badly, it could have sapped financial confidence–the same way that our current crisis has sapped confidence.

The difference is Bush understood economics. Obama has no real world experience.

Obama has made one mistake after another in signaling to investors that it is just safer to keep their money at home than risk it during Obama’s war on Capitalism. Those who saw the writing on the wall took their money out as soon as it was clear Obama would win.

Business is not going risk money with someone who is this clueless in the Whitehouse. It is so amazing–the lack of very basic understanding–a little greed (self-interest) is how the world works.

Obama thinks that money is just in the air… He doesn’t understand how wealth is produced.

Therefore: No more wealth.

We elected a man who rose because of affirmative action not knowledge or talent. A man raised outside the real world of merit based rewards. He doesn’t understand Meritocasy. He has no experience with it. He proves this with every decision that he makes.

petunia on March 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM

What about RazzBarries?

exhelodrvr on March 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Brilliant!

Ted Torgerson on March 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Let’s not become what we mocked the Democrats for being for eight years. I’m a conservative because it’s the ideology of adults. Let’s act like it.

DavidV on March 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Why not it worked wonders for the Dems

Go rent Last of the Mohicans and pay special attention to the scene where they are leaving the fort and the Indians attack the British and Americans…then decide if being civil and following protocol is effective with an enemy who wants to cut your heart out and eat it… I say we need to fight and with any effective means available to us becuase once the USof A is destroyed most of us won’t be around to rebuild it…

CCRWM on March 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM

CCRWM, we haven’t reached the point with the Ublerleftists where they’ll decapitate anyone they are opposed to. But, we need to fight with reason and logic the very same things they lack. Remember, we bring brains to a discussion, they bring ideology.

sharinlite on March 21, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Here’s hoping he won’t last that long.
(I’m thinking impeachment, not a violent solution, folks)

jgapinoy on March 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM

This is a great idea Ed. Maybe we could have a tally board to go to where we could see all of them.

oakpack on March 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Ed, you could re-name the title kinder-phrase.

Johan Klaus on March 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM

AnninCA on March 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM said:

OK….my opinion is that Obama clearly inherited the crash. So no, he’s so not responsible.

He’s responsible. He was out suing banks for redlining in the early 1990s for ACORN.

Those actions were the direct cause of the economic collapse.

He was also a member of the US Government since 2004 and thus due to his acceptance of GSE money and doing nothing to reform the GSEs he is just as guilty as the Administration (if not more so) for what has happened

He is not an innocent bystander. He was a direct participent.

What was weird to me, even in the election, was how he refused to give up his own agenda, although clearly the playing ground had changed.

And what’s really odd is watching him push out excessive spending bills in the midst of this melt-down.

It all makes sense once you understand that they already anticipated the collapse before it happened.. He doesn’t need to change his plans.. he plans already knew about it.

After all this time you dont understand the reality of what it means to be a soldier for Saul Alinksky? Did you think he was joking?

But whatever….I think I’m one who thinks, Who Cares?

We’re devastated, anyway you push the pencil!

Let him run up trillions.

Like it matters at this stage?

We’re toast.

AnninCA on March 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM

That’s exactly what he’s hoping for. Congrats for being so easy to manipulate.

VinceP1974 on March 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM

DavidV on March 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Who said it was ok for McCain’s campaign advisers to surface?

VinceP1974 on March 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM

AnninCA on March 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM

NO! NO! NO!

The filthy liar in the White House didn’t “inherit” anything. Part of being a leader is stepping in and dealing with the challenges known and unknown.

I am sick and tired of the filthy liar’s apologists giving him an out on the economy. If the filthy bastard didn’t want to deal with the problem he should have never run for office. There is no inheritance here. It became Obama’s economy on January 20th. Even if you apologists are desperately seeking some way to excuse the filthy liar. You voted for the bastard and you are responsible for his failures.

highhopes on March 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Ed, this is great! May I suggest one small change to the title “Obamateurism of the Day”?

I’d like it to be the “Obamanureism of the Day”. You could use the photo of Michelle digging up the WH lawn – what was she shoveling???

MochaLite on March 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Here’s hoping he won’t last that long.
(I’m thinking impeachment, not a violent solution, folks)

jgapinoy on March 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM

By any means necessary. We aren’t to the point of violent overthrow by any stretch of the imagination but daily the distance to that point is shrinking by the actions of the filthy liar and his equally corrupt party.

highhopes on March 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

MochaLite on March 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Or Obamination.

highhopes on March 21, 2009 at 5:10 PM

MochaLite on March 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Ft. Marcy park is getting pretty crowded.

highhopes on March 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM

YES!!! This is the kind of thing we need, Ed! THANK YOU!

Cylor on March 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM

DavidV on March 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Who said it was ok for McCain’s campaign advisers to surface?

VinceP1974 on March 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM

bwahahaaha, you nailed it Vince. All the party-poopers might want to check out Bernard Goldberg’s “Crazies to the left of me, Wimps to the right“.

gash on March 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

highhopes on March 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Other than Impeachment and Resignation (either biological or wilful) , the only other lawful means of removing Obama from office is Writ of Quo Warranto.

VinceP1974 on March 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM

gash on March 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I agree with whoever came up with the term “The Stupid Party”

VinceP1974 on March 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

VinceP1974 on March 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM

And I’m suggesting that there is a point where we are not yet remotely close to, where the government so betrays the people that the “lawful” means are no longer relevant and something else is de facto the right course of action.

The filthy liar has already betrayed his oath of office and so have most of the Congress. The system is set up to make such treason “legal” because there is no way (for political interests) the Democrat Party is ever going to hold the filthy liar to account for his treason. Congress is therefore complicit in the crimes of the filthy liar.

At some point the people will not stand for this anymore. They will be right to rise up, violently if necessary, to stem the bastards in charge of the nation.

highhopes on March 21, 2009 at 5:38 PM

My favorite of Obama was in his inaugural address”We have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and…. what,,, start all over again” He is so clever, but that song was written a long time ago. I found myself humming,pick yourself uo, dust yourself off and start all over again. The worst part is that the other day I heard a tape of Obama in 07 or something being interviewed, and he said the same thing to the host. “Well you know, we just have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves of and blankety blank. ” What a profound man!!!!

congma on March 21, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Talk about amateur! Ann Coulter on Sarah Palin:

True, Palin made some embarrassing gaffes.
She complained that we didn’t have enough “Arabic translators” in Afghanistan — not realizing the natives don’t speak Arabic in Afghanistan, but rather a variety of regional dialects, the most common of which is Pashtun.
Speaking to military veterans one time, Palin said, “Our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes — and I see many of them in the audience here today.”
She bragged about passing a law regulating the nuclear industry that it turned out never became a law at all.
Some days Palin said Venezuela’s dictator Hugo Chavez should suffer “regional isolation” — but then on others she’d say she supported the president’s meeting with Chavez.
She told one audience about recent tornados in Kansas that had killed 10,000 people. In fact, a dozen people were killed in the tornados.
She referred to the “57 states” that make up the U.S.
Speaking of her eldest daughter’s pregnancy, she said Bristol was being “punished” with a baby.

As you probably know — or guessed by now — none of these gaffes were uttered by Palin. They are all Obama gaffes.

Christian Conservative on March 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Ed, Obamateurism is a good call. Obamateur is surfacing on French blogs too, such as in this interesting post dealing with a not as well known as I thought Obamateurism: Diplomatie d’Obamateur

What I found quite stunning in this post is something I’ve not seen reported here, regarding the gift exchange with Gordon Brown the Prime Minister of England, is the true nature of the British gift to Obama. I’ve seen reported it was a pen set. A mere pen set. But no, it was a pen set encased in a box constructed in part from the wood of the HMS Gannett, a British warship that in 1885 participated in anti-slavery patrols against the Arabs. What an incredibly special, meaningful, and valuable gift!

But I guess it’s too non-PC for us to appreciate.

Maquis on March 21, 2009 at 6:03 PM

But I guess it’s too non-PC for us to appreciate.

Maquis on March 21, 2009 at 6:03 PM

If so, it should be noted that the Queen has an identical replica of the Resolute Desk (well, almost identical — hers lacks the kneehole doors bearing the Presidential Seal added at FDR’s request to the White House version).

So, if Obama wants to gift the Queen with something she’ll appreciate, a regift of this pen set, made from the timbers of Resolute’s sister ship, is in order here.

unclesmrgol on March 21, 2009 at 6:12 PM

President Obamateur, the cynical politician who was the second biggest donee from AIG and Fannie Mae, did inherit a problem but it was one created by him and his party with their idiotic notion that it is a proper role of government to tell banks who they must lend money to and at what rates.

The financial crisis would not have occurred without Carter’s CRA, which was enhanced by Clinton.

So now, due to media malfeasance, the least vetted candidate for POTUS in the history of the country is supposed to fix the problem? In fact he’s made it infinitely worse. This was to be expected from a man who had no executive experience other than as Bill Ayers hand picked leader of the Chicago School Experiment – which spent money like water and did absolutely nothing to improve the quality of education.

Basilsbest on March 21, 2009 at 6:21 PM

unclesmrgol on March 21, 2009 at 6:12 PM

That would be a classy move. The psychology of gift giving, especially in relationships, is an interesting thing; the gift says so much about the giver and his feelings about the relationship. I think Obama has made his feelings clear, but if it was mere stupidity, then he very well should seek to make amends, though it would reek of the desperation of the would be lover that realizes his cheapness has cost him, unless his came up with a good dose of humility and sincerity. Not likely.

Maquis on March 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM

They gave the ferret a teleprompter!

unclesmrgol on March 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Sweet!

Maquis on March 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM

“Let’s have reparations for slavery per my pastor, mentor and spiritual leader, Reverend Wright!”. “I mean, let’s stimulate the economy with new programs for the less fortunate!”

marklmail on March 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM

They gave the ferret a teleprompter!

unclesmrgol on March 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Too funny! Will the Dems now start targeting Budweiser? Think of the outrage!

Christian Conservative on March 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Sterling idea, there should be no lack of material…

NORUK on March 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM

MEMO

From: TOTUS (aka Telemprompter One)
To: POTUS

You see what happens when you go on TV and just babble on without ME. Besides lying like a rug last night on Leno about your being shocked, shocked over the AIG bonuses, you go and insult every special needs kid and their families with your stupid Special Olympics comment.

Now, I oughta just resign outright and leave you all on your own for the rest of your sorry excuse of a presidency. But that would be the easy way out. Instead, I plan to stay for a while longer if, that is, you can get your act together and NEVER EVER make another public appearance without me.

But, due to the extra work this will entail on my part — and it’s not easy putting all those words in your mouth as it is — I will expect from you, Mr. Money Bags, a significant retention bonus, one at least in the amount you signed into law the other day for the AIG people.

Yeah, that’s a lot of jack, but these are my terms. Take them or leave them. And SMILE while your’e doing it!

TXUS on March 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Thought this post from TXUS was worth another look.

Christian Conservative on March 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM

sharinlite on March 21, 2009 at 3:46 PM

While I would agree with you that Conservatives bring ideas and brains to any debate, I’d suggest that when the intolerant leftists try to take away our God given rights and freedoms, they are beheading (separating) those rights and freedoms of Americans from the body politic.

E.G.:
Liberal Members of Congress suggested that we re-instate the ‘Fairness Doctrine’ which would separate Americans from their First Amendment Rights.
AG Holder makes comments that threaten to separate Americans from their Second Amendment Rights.

Red State State of Mind on March 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM

OT but just have to share….

Went to the K grocery store this afternoon and the baggers were local ladies and young girls from a neighboring church. Full lines, lots of people in line….all of sudden all the baggers started to sing our National Anthem. Everyone stopped for a minute and some sang along and it was beautiful! Lots of applause too! It is great to know I am living on an island with MANY like minded people! I hope this happens all over the place. You wont forget it.

Coastal Paradise on March 21, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Mochalight,

Michelle was on a “cultural” dig. Get school children in the picture for cover of innocence, tear up the lawn for cover when Geithner disappears this week, bones hidden in plain sight. The Emperor Has No Clothes won’t mind his empty suit hanging on the straw man scarecrow marking the garden grave where the money tree should grow. Ask Pinocchio and The Assassins.

maverick muse on March 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM

They gave the ferret a teleprompter!

unclesmrgol on March 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM

“I am classically chiseled.”

…reminds me of Mozart’s line (Amadeus) about the gods shitting marble. “Let it be in German, PLEASE!”

maverick muse on March 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM

maverick muse on March 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Dang! I was guessing Geither would fertilize Marcy Park, but this sounds…interesting.

Maquis on March 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Maverick & Maquis:

The “Obamanure of the Day” is the obvious fertilizer for Michelle’s garden.

Also, how sad is it that the only time an Obama has used the word “victory” with reference to America was about the garden M was digging?

MochaLite on March 21, 2009 at 8:39 PM

petunia on March 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM

One of the best posts I’ve read here. Spot on.

Mojave Mark on March 21, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Maverick & Maquis:

The “Obamanure of the Day” is the obvious fertilizer for Michelle’s garden.

We are simply trying to predict the manner of Geithner’s exit from Treasury, and his future resting place… And to be honest, I’m pretty sure Obamanure is toxic.

MochaLite on March 21, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Indeed.

Maquis on March 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Speaking of Michelle O’s vegetable garden, Scott Ott’s Scrappleface had some fun with that topice the other day:

onlineanalyst on March 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM

onlineanalyst on March 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I thought Scrappleface was parody?

Maquis on March 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM

More intentional insults from The unChosen One.

madmonkphotog on March 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Obama did the town hall, making the usual introductions: “We have Hilda Solis,” applause! and “The lieutenant governor,” applause! He added: “Got an outstanding member of Congress, Rep. Loretta Sanchez,” applause!

“Now, this is not Loretta’s district; this is actually Dana Rohrabacher’s district.” Boos come from the Dem crowd. “No, no, no, we actually — our office screwed up, and I think didn’t get the invitation to him on time, so he’s not here. That was a screw-up on our part. So I want to let him know we’re sorry about that, and I want everybody to give him a big round of applause; it’s his district.”

Seriously that’s the best you guys can do?
weak.
Of course Obama has made and will make gaffes but I guarantee you they will never compare to the quantity and quality of the stupidity espoused by Bush every day for 8 years.

crr6 on March 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM

The most non-partisan President in history.

Didn’t Bush take the politicians of the district he was visiting with him on Air Force One.

davod on March 21, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Well, we now know the biggest lie told about this dolt during his campaign. The constant refrain from the MSM about how “intelligent” he is. Reality is here, and he’s really just a couple of iq points from being a complete dunce. Sorta like a liberal arts PHD. It really stands for “Piled Higher and Deeper”. I guess the MSM was really into the “hope” part, as in hoping with their fingers crossed that he really was smarter than he looked when away from the teleprompter. Most astute observation Hillary ever made, was “he gives good speech.”

Webrider on March 21, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Don’t let this prick get away with the “our office screwed up” crap. Put it with the scratching the face, Special Olympics screw ups on purpose. Put the boot in and get a laugh. You can always appologize later, even if you do not mean it).

davod on March 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Here’s hoping he won’t last that long.
(I’m thinking impeachment, not a violent solution, folks)

jgapinoy on March 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM

You might want to recosider that…

I have four* words for you: President Joe Biden.

(* See Joe’s previous counting exercises)

VekTor on March 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM

VekTor on March 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM

LOL

Laura in Maryland on March 22, 2009 at 12:08 AM

I’d vote for “Obamination of the Day” as mentioned by highhopes.

Fred 2 on March 22, 2009 at 1:35 AM

O-Bombs

Ronnie on March 22, 2009 at 1:35 AM

The manner in which money poured into his campaign despite the fact that he was mouthing the word ‘crisis’ at every turn gives him a strong impression that he was and still is irresistible. Thus he had no qualms spending millions and millions during his election campaign and partying every Wednesday night post election.

Despite the huge spending he has called for over the next 4 years, he still thinks he can reduce the budget deficit by half. And the people are expected to believe that even though he has no business experience of any kind. He is only good at running his mouth, a much needed skill when a person is basically devoid of real experience. The essence of a conman. I hope the Republicans will let him spend as much as he wants to so by 2011 people will realize what an idiot they have on their hands.

Meanwhile, Obama has no need to worry. The Federal reserve will just print money as and when needed. It just printed 1.2 trillion out of thin air.

Birdseye on March 22, 2009 at 2:39 AM

You might want to recosider that…

I have four* words for you: President Joe Biden.

(* See Joe’s previous counting exercises)

VekTor

Biden would have to choose a new vice-president, who would then be next in line. Presidential musical chairs, anyone?

SKYFOX on March 23, 2009 at 5:28 AM