Notre Dame invites Obama to give commencement speech

posted at 5:45 pm on March 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Normally, a university would consider a presidential address a great honor, which explains why the one school that landed Barack Obama for its commencement speech this year has proudly announced it.  For a Catholic university, though, the choice of an abortion-rights absolutist has other Catholics wondering whether Notre Dame’s own president, Rev. John Jenkins, has taken leave of his senses:

President Barack Obama will be the principal speaker and the recipient of an honorary doctor of laws degree at the University of Notre Dame’s 164th University Commencement Ceremony at 2 p.m. May 17 (Sunday) in the Joyce Center on campus.

Mr. Obama will be the ninth U.S. president to be awarded an honorary degree by the University and the sixth to be the Commencement speaker.

The University will confer degrees on approximately 2,000 undergraduates, 420 MBA students and 200 Notre Dame Law School students.

Fellow Catholic Kathryn Jean Lopez calls it “shameful”:

Last week the president of the United States perpetrated an assault on human dignity. No statements or press releases will undo what Notre Dame’s position in the eyes of the world is in response: “Doesn’t matter.” We’ve got THE ONE. So much for the One to whom the school’s namesake gave birth. I’ve been optimistic that the radicalism of this administration on life could be a real catalyst for renewal in many churches. At Notre Dame, the administration there just made a choice. They took a giant step away from their identity as “Catholic.” They would rather be of this world than the one they supposedly exist to bring people toward.

I agree with Kathryn on this, and not because I don’t like Barack Obama.  Regardless of his politics, he would make a fine commencement speaker at most law schools, and such institutions would be fortunate to get him to appear.  Presidential addresses have less to do with the specific president and more to do with the nature of the office itself.

However, its seems that Rev. Jenkins has forgotten the mission of Catholic education.  They have just as much of an imperative to fully educate students as any other university, but they also hve a separate mandate to champion Christian and Catholic values.  That doesn’t restrict itself to abortion, but as I’ve reminded people many times on this blog, the sanctity of human life is at the core of those values and cannot be reconciled with the casual slaughter of unique human life.  In fact, The Anchoress and I wrote an extensive Catholic apologia for our opposition to Obama as a candidate that I published the day before the election.  We wrote:

[C]onsider why the Church supports social-justice issues.  Our faith does not emphasize fighting poverty and oppression as mere Boy Scout merit badges, or to give Catholics something to do on the weekends.  The emphasis on social justice springs from the foundational belief that all human life is sacred, anointed by God for His purposes, and not ours.  The need for social justice is for us to recognize the spark of divinity in all of us.

What does abortion says about human life?  It reduces it to commodity, and values it based on convenience.  If that is what we think about human life, then that rejects the entire idea that God created humankind at all, let alone for any divine purpose.  Without that fundamental understanding of the faith, then all kinds of horrors become possible — abortion, euthanasia, genocide on massive scales, war for acquisition, and the exploitation of the poor.

Why care about the poor if humans have no divine purpose?  If we can kill millions of our offspring without a second thought, why not leave the poor to their own devices?   Abortion represents the ultimate rejection of God and God’s plan.

And bear in mind that Barack Obama is no moderate on abortion.  The FOCA will federalize the question of abortion with the specific intent of striking down every moderating state law concerning abortion: parental notification, waiting periods, term limitations, and information requirements will end with its passage.  It will also re-impose federal subsidies of abortions by repealing the Hyde Amendment, forcing taxpayers — including Catholics — to pay for the abortions of others.

If they invited the President to participate in a debate with a Notre Dame theologian on the issue of life, that would be quite different, and certainly intriguing.  By giving President Obama a platform and honoring him with a degree, the university is tacitly endorsing Obama and these positions.  According to the church’s catechism — which Pope Benedict reminded Nancy Pelosi last month — Obama would have effectively excommunicated himself already had he been Catholic, but a Catholic university now welcomes him for their commencement with an honorary degree.

It seems to me that Kathryn has this right; Notre Dame has become far too focused on its temporal mission to the detriment of its spiritual mission if they think this is a good idea.  Rev. Jenkins should reconsider this invitation and honor for a politician who supports views antithetical to the Catholic faith.

Update: Obama will also give the commencement address at the Naval Academy, a much more appropriate venue — although I should be clear in that the question of Obama getting honored at Notre Dame is for the school, and not Obama himself.

Update II: There’s already a protest website (via American Catholic, which has more thoughts).  TOTUS also weighs in.  I have a sneaking suspicion that TOTUS will be a must read in the next four years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I assume TOTUS will accompany?
That and the press will be barred.

redshirt on March 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Rudy …… Rudy …… Rudy ….. Rudy.

Not Obama.

fogw on March 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Beyond words. Why would they even consider it?
Just to add his name to the rolls?

Rocks on March 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Awesome. Gives me new respect for the Fightin’ Irish!

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM

eski502 on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

You seem to forget that most Catholics are Democrats, so they tend to disagree with you Ed.

Terry Silver on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Shameful doesn’t beging to describe it. It’s like Howard University inviting David Duke!

PastorJon on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

PastorJon on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Yeah if only the majority of Howard students voted for Duke.

Terry Silver on March 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM

That’s mighty Christian of them. Oh, it’s not? Never mind.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I’m a grad. The money flow stops now! How could they even think of inviting the most pro-abortion president ever. What were they thinking!

As if the Vagina Monologues playing during Holy Week was not enough. I’m done.

sheesh on March 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I hate Notre Dame with a great and dying passion, so it doesn’t shock me that an obnoxious school like that university would pick a vapid and obnoxious president to give the class address.

Illinidiva on March 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Notre Dame’s president made a big mistake…I see an “un-invite” in the offing.
The President and TOTUS may be powerful, but not as powerful as the alumni…and word is they are already “hot” about this one.

right2bright on March 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I somehow doubt the school will reconsider. Since Osama Obama is the New Jesus to his followers, this is only fitting acknowledgment of his standing to the wacko-libs.

That said, I wish the Lopezes — and you, Ed — of our side would keep your religion in the churches and homes where it belongs.

Though not a Catholic, I have nothing against your views, and in fact agree with most of them, but the notion that they should take precedence over anyone else’s in matters of government is antithetical to a free society.

The left tries to cram its Marxist dogma down everyone’s throats, and the religious conservatives try to do the same.

Both are wrong.

MrScribbler on March 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I’m pro life, but I know a majority of my fellow Catholics aren’t.

eski502 on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Then they shouldn’t call themselves Catholic.

sheesh on March 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Awesome. Gives me new respect for the Fightin’ Baby Killin’ Irish!

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM

FIFY.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I am trying to get a response to this from my brother who is a devout Catholic and a Prefessor at Norte Dame. Cannot wait to hear his response.

WashJeff on March 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM

eski502 on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

But will the sitting President put his views aside? I don’t think his ego will let him.

fogw on March 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I knew the Church had an Obama problem when I found vendors selling Obama paraphernalia at the Christmas bazaar. Everywhere I looked: Obama portraits; Obama watches; Obama calendars; Obama buttons.

I have to expected to see Obama crucifixes, but of course, Obama could never sacrifice himself for our sins. He’s too important.

Kensington on March 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Notre Dame’s president made a big mistake…I see an “un-invite” in the offing.

Never. This guy is way too weak.

sheesh on March 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Then they shouldn’t call themselves Catholic.

sheesh on March 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Amen.

Kensington on March 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Barack’s teleprompter was quick to respond to this. I read about there before even Ed could get a post Obama. Barack’s Teleprompter is quick!!

WashJeff on March 20, 2009 at 5:56 PM

PastorJon on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

It’s like Charles Manson leading Easter Mass at the Vatican.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Terry Silver on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

It’s the alumni, not the “Catholics”…and I am telling you, my niece, who graduated from there and an active alumni, has said this is a problem and it is spreading fast.
Read:

sheesh on March 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM

right2bright on March 20, 2009 at 5:56 PM

May the ghosts of Knute Rockne, George Gipp, and the Four Horsemen rise from their graves and cause B.O.’s teleprompter to short out midway through his commencement address!

pilamaye on March 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I’d love it if they got some language in the contract dictating that The Precedent had to release his college records (and standardized test scores, just to be a sport) before he was allowed to address college graduates. But, barring that, I wouldn’t attend anything that had that moron held in a position of respect. He’s too much of an idiot and hates America far too much.

If I were an alumnus, I’d be calling for the resignation of the college president and the board over this. It is pathetic.

progressoverpeace on March 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Surely this will be on the John Stewart “That CAN’T be right” segment.

PappaMac on March 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Makes sense that a Catholic institution would welcome Obama. They certainly voted for him much to the chagrin of a minority of right wing Catholics. With the exception of Opus Dei, Catholics, and their politics, skew left on every social issue, except abortion.

Unions
Welfare
Immigration
War
Social justice
Capital punishment
wealth redistribution.

It’s a litany of democratic causes.

keep the change on March 20, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Those of you who wish to make your views known.

sheesh on March 20, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Gutterball Jesus.

JammieWearingFool on March 20, 2009 at 6:01 PM

I love that teleprompter website, man!!

Any other regular college, ok, more power to you. But a Catholic university that receives funding from the Catholic church – that is what gets me! I am not Catholic, but when I read the header for this I immediately thought, “What were they thinking at Notre Dame?” Stupid, stupid stupid.

catlady on March 20, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Will the teleprompters be recipients of an honorary doctor of laws degree as well………………?

………… can’t you just see them now, flanking Mr. Teleprompter in their caps and gowns.

Kinda brings a tear of joy to the ‘ol eye…………..

Seven Percent Solution on March 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Notre Dame’s president made a big mistake…I see an “un-invite” in the offing.

right2bright on March 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I know some powerful Notre Dame alums and can tell you that they’re all Barry supporters, including one girl I had the unfortunate experience of going to high school with. World’s biggest tattletale and always on the verge of a breakdown.

Illinidiva on March 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM

They’re thinking what too many Catholics are thinking with regard to that man: *slobber*

Kensington on March 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I love that teleprompter website, man!!

catlady on March 20, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Again a majority of Catholics are Democrats and most likely pro-choice. Get over it.

Terry Silver on March 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Will he be delivering that bit of propoganda in his mother tongue?

seejanemom on March 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Will Mr. Teleprompter tell the students not to go into business and help the economy………….

……….. but become civil servants and join his army?

Seven Percent Solution on March 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Tolerance is a virtue. That’s why they kept Charlie Wiese on,..well, that and his contract. Looks to me like they’re just being consistent in decision making.

a capella on March 20, 2009 at 6:05 PM

WashJeff on March 20, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Found this in the comments … lol

gh on March 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Obamessiah was a lock once he agreed to perform free abortion “miracles” for needy students.

econavenger on March 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Yeah, this is pretty stupid. Obama is a polarizing figure amongst secularists, but he’s an absolute pariah amongst observant Catholics. He’s not “pro-choice,” he’s pro-abortion. Having him speak at arguably the most visible of the Catholic universities (sorry BC, Villanova, and Georgetown) on the heels of the admonishments the Pope and assorted Bishops have made to Catholic lawmakers sends a peculiar message to U.S. Roman Catholics. Didn’t Rev. Jenkins paid any attention this election?

The Pope needs to get on the horn… if he can get through, that is. The U of C received a lot of complaints from alumni for its excessive “celebration” of Obama. I’m sure that Notre Dame’s alumni are even more incensed.

Y-not on March 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM

The worst enemy that babies ever had invited to give the commencement speech at Notre Dame. The equivalent of Pontius Pilate visiting the Pope.

MaiDee on March 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM

They could provide a live partial-birth abortion on stage too.

jeff_from_mpls on March 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I hope the alumni has something to say about this. Tragic.

HornetSting on March 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM

ND is Chicago Catholic, right up the street from South Bend it tis, with the same spectrum of Catholic practice that includes everyone from Richard Daley to Al Capone, which is pretty much everybody in Chicago.

JohnBissell on March 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Catholic
In
Name
Only

msmveritas on March 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

This is Nonsense no one is taking into account how this will look from a distance. Academics are wrapped up in their little world (Bubble). The outside world is limited to their intellectual criticism of what everyone else is doing wrong. Could they at least get on the same page with the Pope? History judges institutions, and the people who run them. This behavior will end up in an ARCHIVE, someone will no doubt write a paper on it maybe included it in part of their thesis. How does this look from a distance, Notre Dame the Cafeteria Catholic’s University? Obviously Notre Dame can’t see the forest for the trees.

Dr Evil on March 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

According to the church’s catechism… Obama would have effectively excommunicated himself already had he been Catholic

I’m not a Catholic, so I have no standing to make a judgment on this. But I find the phrase “had he been Catholic” to be important.

Obviously Catholics take a firm and unambiguous stand on abortion. But do they really hold non-Catholics to the same standards when deciding whom to honor? Would it be unacceptable to honor a Buddhist monk if some of his beliefs contradict Catholic catechism?

Or is this mostly an issue because Obama is a politician that pushes politically against the Catholic agenda on this important matter?

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Will Charlie Weis be up in the press box, or down by the podium?

Del Dolemonte on March 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

As a Catholic, I think this is more insidious when looking at the big picture.

There’s NO WAY Obama’s choice of Sebelius, Biden, Daschle were accidents. He’s got Pelosi, Kerry, Kennedy, and useful idiots like Doug Kmiec all pro choice Catholics giving him cover. He is using pro choice Catholics to evil ends. His speech at Notre Dame is part of this.

I have no doubt he (and his puppetmasters) are taking the Catholic Church on, purposely.

ckdexterhaven on March 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Maybe oBama will tell a few priest jokes.

Lincoln Cadillac on March 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

thats quite an accusation. that would pretty much bar all politicians from speaking at any christian school’s commencement.

theres the pro choice, those who support the death penalty, those who support wars of choice, those who oppose tending to god’s earth by opposing any and all environmental standards, etc. etc.

having someone for a commencement speech does not mean you agree with them on every issue.

ernesto on March 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

MrScribbler on March 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Are you sh!tting me? It’s a CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY! So, because YOU have no faith or belief in Catholicism, and Obama’s the President, they should just put their “dogmatic” principals aside to let him give a speech and get a law degree at a CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY?

Jesus Christ! Now conservatives believe that people don’t have a fundamental right to freedom of religion? Are you kidding me? I’m beyond bothered by these kinds of statements. This is the point about RINOism, it’s all about giving up your principals so that someone else feels better, usually a Liberal.

No freaking President anywhere has a RIGHT to speak at a University or get degree from any university he wants. The man fundamentally disagrees with the very religious principals you espouse and you want to give him a seat at your table? Looking for your Judas Kiss?

Sultry Beauty on March 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

ckdexterhaven on March 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

take the tinfoil hat off, place it on the ground, and back away slowly.

ernesto on March 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Ideology and respect for the unborn is trumped by having the first black guy to be POTUS…that and he wrote a couple of books. The coolness factor is off the charts.

Bishop on March 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

The Church was extremely clear to practicing Catholics about what they risked by supporting pro-abortion candidates this year… much stronger than they have ever been in my 40+ years.

Abortion is tantamount to murder in Catholic teaching so, yes, this is a much more serious issue than theological differences between religions.

Obama is not Catholic, but he has made it abundantly clear that he is for abortion on demand, so honoring him at a Catholic university is really inappropriate.

As for the alumni, I’m sure it’s a generational thing. I bet a lot of wills are going to be changed. And, beyond the alumni base, there is a vast base of non-alumni, particularly in the older generations, who followed Notre Dame sports because it was a Catholic (and Irish Catholic) school. My dad and his brothers are amongst them. Those folks give, too. At least they did. I’m sure my dad will switch his allegiance to Boston College after this.

Y-not on March 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

ernesto on March 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

They’re planning on giving him a HONORARY LAW DEGREE. There’s a big difference between speaking and being placed as a MEMBER/ALUMNI IN HONORARIUM of your organization! Or am I totally missing something?

Sultry Beauty on March 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

It appears ‘Catholic’ has simply become an identity word rather than a ideological faith movement based on specific moral principles.

A sign of the times we live in.

katy on March 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Dude, this IS the church. Notre Dame is a Catholic university, part of the church. Maybe you should pay more attention.

Ed Morrissey on March 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

ernesto on March 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Even though abortion is high on the Catholic church’s list of no-no’s? This isn’t about something more innocuous such as tax policy or school vouchers, it’s about killing babies (according to the church).

Bishop on March 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Notre Dame invites Obama to give commencement speech

It’s actually quite brilliant, Notre Dame looking out for their students like this. Obama can tell the graduates how to game the system once they realize they can’t find a job……

Hog Wild on March 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

sheesh on March 20, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Thanks for the link. He is definitely hearing from me.

becki51758 on March 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM

And another thing: “Lopezes”??? EXACTLY WHAT do you mean by that? I think that kind of term is a little more troublesome than a Catholic expressing their Catholic ‘dogma’.

Sultry Beauty on March 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Ed Morrissey on March 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Fine, Ed, and I agree that it’s extraordinarily dumb of an institution that stands for the exact opposite of most of what the child-president spouts to not only give him publicity/credibility but give him an honorary degree to boot.

I’m surprised the school hasn’t had a call from Benny over in Rome. I would think a word from him could quash this in a second.

But my point, perhaps not expressed carefully enough, was that while we all seem to agree that a Reverend Wright has no place in politics, I submit the same can be said — for far different reasons — any Catholic priest. No matter that the Founding Fathers believed devoutly in God; they did not establish a religious state. This is something KJ Lopez has not learned. Neither, apparently, has Newt Gingrich.

MrScribbler on March 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM

eski502 on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

If You are Pro Choice you are neither a Conservative or a Devout Catholic. Either repent and go to confession or be excommunicated. Period. You belong to the Church of Whats Happpening now and should not go to Communion!

old trooper2 on March 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Ed, you and K-Lo are correct.

Obama is the most radical pro-abortion politician at a national level. Even Boxer voted for the US Senate Born Alive Amendment.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Is Pilosi going open for him?

Rev. Jenkins has forgotten the mission of Catholic education Lost his ever lovin’ mind.

FIFY

nolapol on March 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Will catholics provide enough pressure to boot the TOTUS, or will Obama tell Terry Schaivo jokes from the Notre Dame podium?

Popcorn for the Protestants!

Right_of_Attila on March 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Notre Dame’s president made a big mistake…I see an “un-invite” in the offing.

right2bright on March 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Well said. The alumni will weigh in on this, and then we’ll see what the final decision is.

DrStock on March 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Sultry Beauty on March 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Do you actually read anything beyond HA comments, or are you just expressing knee-jerk PC anger without thinking?

Kathryn Jean Lopez is an obsessive Catholic who writes at National Review. Hello?

MrScribbler on March 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I’m with K-Lo on this one.

myrenovations on March 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

What would the Pope say about this? I would be interested to know. Do they get any monies from the Vatican?

I think its disgraceful and I think any Catholic who supports abortion is not a Catholic.

becki51758 on March 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM

He is a sitting President of the United States. He is due respect, just for being in the office.

SC.Charlie on March 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I’m a conservative Catholic and regardless of what I think of Barack Obama and his policies I would be fine with my college inviting him to deliver a comencement address. He is the President of the United States, and Notre Dame is in the United States; I think its great if any school can put views aside and let a sittting President give a speech. And don’t forget the fact that just because the vatican is opposed to abortion doesn’t mean all Catholics are. I’m pro life, but I know a majority of my fellow Catholics aren’t. eski502 on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

You are wrong. Most Catholics are against abortion.

Secondly, even if you were not wrong…. it is a Catholic institution sending a terribly message by inviting the most pro-abortion President ever.

Thirdly, in my opinion you are weak. You should talk to your priest…well unless he is weak too.

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM

sheesh on March 20, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Thanks for the link. Doubt if they’ll listen though. They have their heads up their asses and believe they are the closest church to God and can do no wrong.

Knucklehead on March 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Somehow, I seriously doubt that BYU, Liberty University, et al will be making similar offers to the TOTUS.

My collie says:

Indiana is not even his home state. Why doesn’t the Teleprompter in Chief just stick with Illinois? For example, I’m sure that he’d be welcome at MANY of the Chicago area religious schools — like this one (for example):

American Islamic College
640 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, Illinois 60613-3106

You’re not funny, collie.

CyberCipher on March 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM

reaganaut on March 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Now that’s an interesting theory.

becki51758 on March 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM

SC.Charlie on March 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Respect and inviting him to the most known Catholic .University in the country is another

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 6:44 PM

SC.Charlie on March 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM

No, he isn’t; you salute the uniform, not the man, and the man in this case has a serious bias against a major tenet of the Catholic faith.

Bishop on March 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM

So, then one would have to ask… are most Catholics really against abortion…?

I’m just asking the obvious.

katy on March 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM

A Catholic University invites the leader of the Democrat Death Party

tsk tsk tsk

Kini on March 20, 2009 at 6:48 PM

eski502 on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Right. Dude, you can’t be Catholic and be FOR abortion. It’s that simple. Either you believe it is a sin or you are merely going through the motions of Catholicism.

Study your Catechism.

Sapwolf on March 20, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Most Catholics may be against abortion but they seem to have a complete disconnect when it comes to advocating it in their politics.So, then one would have to ask… are most Catholics really against abortion…? I’m just asking the obvious.
katy on March 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM

You base this on what? If it is the recent election I imagine some have major inner battles. I do not agree but I think some saw the war as a great evil and they were duped into thinking O was actually going to end it.

So I do not think we can really tell us there is something I am missing.

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM

This is a disgrace.

Notre Dame should be divested of its Catholic identity. They can go find another name while they’re at it.

JPII cleaned up the clergy abuse issue in the United States by cleaning house in the seminaries. It’s time for the Universities. Come on, Benedict, roll up your sleeves. We need some help over here.

bonnie_ on March 20, 2009 at 6:52 PM

So I do not think we can really tell. Unless there is something I am missing.

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Maybe he could talk about being punished with a baby; or how to leave a baby on a shelf, the result of a botched abortion, to die and then throw it away, in the garbage. Or how much he has paid back the abortion industry for all their help in getting him elected. Or how to make fun of special need’s children.
That would be an “in your face” address.
Maybe he could continue about the religion of “peace”, and how much he still is a part of it.
Shame on whomever invited him!

Bambi on March 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM

katy on March 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Notre Dame hasnt been a catholic university in a long, long time.

well, a practicing catholic university.

psv on March 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Hearing DA ARAB ONE speak at one of the nation’s most prestigious Catholic universities makes me want to ask…

WWKRD?

What Would Knute Rockne Do?

BobAnthony on March 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM

War? My post was about abortion. Life is thee central tenet of Catholicism. Pope John Paul was constantly challenging the world on the culture of life. If Catholics are truly walking in their faith and following the teachings of their leader and the Church, then there is no logic in why they consistently and predominantly vote for politicians that advocate the very antithesis of life.

katy on March 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM

So katy… does War end life? You do realize that even by conservative estimates Iraq war had ended over 100k lives and injured many more. We have lost over 4000 soldiers and well over 30000 injured. Seems LIFE is in issue in war.

I will stay respectful though you were not.

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM

AGAIN!!!! In case you somehow… missed my orininal post. It’s about abortion.

40 million babies…. 40 freakin MILLION babies. Innocent, completely vulnerable, fragile BABIES, sucked out of the womb, torn apart, limb by limb, their brains sucked out of their heads while they squirm in agony. Babies who did not choose to sign up to fight for their country and take the risk by making that courageous decision to do so. There is no argument for this. None.
Stay on topic. One topic at a time and I will talk with you.

What part of the central tenet of Catholicism did you not read from my answer to your post?

katy on March 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Insane.

ctmom on March 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM

katy on March 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM

yes war does not kill, gotcha

you are a nut job . i commented on why some catholics voted for a pro-abortion president. i think you are too nutty to comprehend. later. take some meds.

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Sultry Beauty on March 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I had not heard that ND is planning to confer an honorary law degree on Obama. ND has a constitutional law professor named Gerald Brown who openly supported McCain as the most pro-life candidate in the past election.

I wonder how he feels about this.

BuckeyeSam on March 20, 2009 at 7:21 PM

katy on March 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM

katy-if you know anything about the English language you would know that your above statement was about politics.

ask an english teacher and calm down

Jamson64 on March 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I’m with Ed and Lopez, even though I’m not Catholic. This entry was very well done.

It’d be nice to see ND possess the courage of its convictions. Unfortunately, it seems that ND has no convictions.

BuckeyeSam on March 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM

You are absolutely correct, Ed.

Buy Danish on March 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Ed have you considered the possibility that ND invited Obama because they knew this would bring the issue of life to the forefront?

ND is an authentically Catholic institution. Much more authentically Catholic than, say Boston College. There will be a reception where Obama will be welcomed by the President. Let’s hear what Father Jenkins has to say about FOCA in his remarks.

JohnBissell on March 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Yes Chicago Archdiocese is the second largest in the United States. Chicago is the second largest Polish city in the world behind Warsaw so we have a lot of Catholics. I don’t know what your point is referring to Al Capone or Mayor Daley.

Ted Torgerson on March 20, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Correction, Notre Dame invited the teleprompter, so no conflict.

Conservative Voice on March 20, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I’m a conservative Catholic and because of regardless of what I think of Barack Obama and his policies I would be unhappy fine with my college inviting him to deliver a commencement address. He is a strong pro-abortion leaderthe President of the United States, and Notre Dame is a Catholic Univerity with a strong Catholic moral viewpoint in the United States; I think its great if any school can show courage on the issue of abortion put views aside and let a sittting President give a speech. And don’t forget the fact that just because the Church vatican is opposed to abortion doesn’t mean all Catholics are. I’m pro life, but I know a majority of my fellow Catholics aren’t.

eski502 on March 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Perhaps this is a “teachable moment” to those Catholics who fail to understand why the Church holds the position it does. If we take your position (that a pro-abortion person should be given the high honor of speaking at a Notre Dame commencement just because he’s popular), maybe ND should have Nancy Pelosi next year and Joseph Biden the year after that. If the Pope, a few Cardinals, some red blooded American bishops, or even some of us lowly lay people (like Ed Morrissey or myself) showed up and were allowed a few short words, the moment would certainly be teachable.

We are talking here of honoring (for that is the operative word) a man who, using his power of authority, has put himself firmly in the path of preventing required medical care for babies born after an abortion, and who has rescinded orders issued by his own office to prevent the enslavement using federal funds of the smallest and most innocent.

In my Catholicism, we give high honor to the most saintly of people (in both faith and works), not one who is unrepentantly in a state of mortal sin with regard to both what he has done and what he has failed to do. That includes a sitting President of the United States, regardless of popularity or lack thereof.

You need to seriously rethink your position.

unclesmrgol on March 20, 2009 at 7:55 PM