AOL Hot Seat Poll: The Special Olympics joke

posted at 10:15 am on March 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

You’ve read the take from myself and AP on Barack Obama’s “Special Olympics” wisecrack last night. Now it’s your turn to weigh in. Along with AOL’s readers, join in a poll to give your verdict on Obama’s attempt at levity on Leno. Offensive? Funny? Unwise?

To help you out, here’s the actual video, and I’ll compare it to another notable comment about the Special Olympics from a major political figure this month. First, thank goodness we elected that brilliant and witty Chicago politician:

And thank goodness we didn’t elect that classless trailer-park hick from Alaska:

Er …..

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Sorry to join the thread late, and more so because I will simply re-state that which has been fairly well expressed many times over.

That said, I am a parent of a child with Down syndrome and have volunteered often at Special Olympics events. The former junior senator’s remarks displayed a degree of ignorance and insensitivity that is unacceptable in a Chief Executive. I first heard the same joke from the character Russell Zisky in the movie, “Stripes,” (circa 1981). So it was not only a tasteless joke, it was a stolen old tasteless joke. Sans TelePrompter the One appears to be — oh, dare I say ‘handicapped’? Challenged? Or is it just more correct to say that acting appropriately is above his pay grade?

Appearing on “The Tonight Show” was totally inappropriate, but a useful distraction to deflect attention from this week’s disgraceful attempts to cover up the Administration’s special favors for AIG execs and the embarrassing discovery of what happens when one rushes pork-filled legislation thought congress without allowing reading or debate.

Wonderful job of posting Gov. Palin’s video next to TOTUS’ for a comparison of class versus lack of same. Very well played, Ed.

Tom_OC on March 20, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I just want to say what a class act Gov. Palin is…

blish on March 20, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Obama simply has NO CLASS!!

gary on March 20, 2009 at 1:27 PM

My husband and I are in disagreement. He thinks TOTUS is an insensitive, inexperienced, arrogant punk. I think that this kind of comment is part of the mind-set that allows for Nazi style elimination of those that are deemed imperfect. One wouldn’t want to be “punished” with a baby, especially a downs baby. It smacks of eugenics and Planned Parenthood propaganda. Or not. I may be overreaching due to my disgust at this pop-star.

Haunches on March 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM

There is a reason that most of these children are sent to experienced parents. Being able to appreciate and love a child in this circumstance brings a wisdom about life that I would value in a President.

petunia on March 20, 2009 at 1:33 PM

The discussion about the market has died down since I introduced facts into it.

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM

You’ll find plenty of discussion about the financial crisis on the threads dealing with that topic. Remember that AIG bonuses were supposed to be a crusader moment where Obama reestablished his populist cred while demagoguing Wall Street greed.

Then that backfired, putting the ghastly political classes who make US law on display for what they are: ageing self-serving political sharpes who have spent decades milking the system. We see the system up close, law-making that is riddled with slapdash, incompetence and gamesmanship.

So, Obama goes on Leno to try and distract the public once again. Meanwhile the Fed released another trillion into the economy, and the dollar plunged 4% overnight. But here’s Obama insulting the disabled, and that brings us to the topic at hand.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Haunches on March 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Recall Obama’s voting record on BAIPA.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM

The only problem is the MSM and a large majority of Americans don’t pay attention when it’s a Democrat stepping in it.
kirkill on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Yeah! And the comedians say they can’t find anything to joke about with Obama. Any fair-minded individual (ie, those who aren’t in the tank for Obama for those of you who voted for Obama) would have a field day with the gaffs and stupidity coming from our TOTUS. And even more for the POTUS when he’s without the TOTUS.

Christian Conservative on March 20, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I think it’s hilarious. He’s so relaxed and down to earth. This is a joke any guy would say, and it’s time the POTUS can joke with my generation instead of some uptight white guy sitting there like a knot on a log. I love this man and can’t wait for the next 7 years! Sarah is right where she belongs — Methville, USA.

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

What a juxtaposition these two videos are. Great job Ed.

Ted Torgerson on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Sorry if this is repetitive, but I was curious as to when Palin recorded the video. Did it have anything to do with Obama’s offensive remark? No. It was put up on YouTube on March 7 as an encouragement to Special Olympians. This was not a political statement, but a statement from her heart.
Thanks, Sarah. You go, girl!

Christian Conservative on March 20, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I think it was offensive, but not in a way where I would get all bent out of shape. It makes him look much stupider than anybody else–not like we needed the material, though. He is a classless, arrogant prick who doesn’t understand there are some things you think that shouldn’t come out of your mouth, especially when you’re supposedly POTUS.

It also shows a difference between people like us and people who he backs–those who are chronically offended and are ready to light a fire under a lawsuit every time someone looks at them cross eyed. They’re of many different stripes but what they do have in common is that they are eternal victims.

Way to go, Obama, you just showed yet again what a double standard bastard you are.

fireweednectar on March 20, 2009 at 1:44 PM

methamphetamine-ville, right? You are funny.

Haunches on March 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Sarah is right where she belongs — Methville, USA.

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I happen to see this after I posted.

You have the right to like the guy, idiotic as I think it is to do.

What makes you think you know anything about where Sarah Palin lives? Why don’t you come spend some time here before you start shooting your mouth off about the area? If that’s the only way you identify the Mat-Su, then you’re an ignoramus who couldn’t tell the difference between “offensive” and “not offensive” if it bit you in the arse.

fireweednectar on March 20, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Obama is soooo gonna be slaughtered by Gov. Palin in 2012.

AaronGuzman on March 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I find that children with special needs are some of the most pleasant and beautiful people to be around. They grow and they develop, just in a different way and it is beautiful in it’s own way. Those that participate in the Special Olympics are truly giants in this world. Obama just proved how small he really is.

If the whole “selective abortion” thing ever goes through (God forbid) we will lose over 50% of the happiness in this world. I can guarantee it.

Ingenue on March 20, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Drug jokes about Sarah Palin, while President “A Little Blow” Obama is in the Oval Office?

Talk about tone-deaf.

capitalist piglet on March 20, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Regardless, your failure to understand that Obama’s comment was inappropriate shows you are still callous, even if you have spent time with the disabled. Right is right no matter what, and you are wrong.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I understand how special the people who compete in these games are. They should be admired. I also think that sometimes people make inappropriate jokes, but that it’s not a big deal. Specifically, I don’t think that these jokes say too much about a person’s core values. They say something, but I don’t think they say too much. That’s why I don’t think it’s offensive.

I understand, however, why you’re offended by this. And it makes sense why lots of people would be. That’s why it was pretty stupid of him to say.

I also understand why you think I’m callous for not being offended, but I don’t think you’re right to conclude that. It has mainly to do with my threshold for being offended in general. If someone made a similar comment that applied to me personally, I wouldn’t be offended. I don’t think you would then conclude that I’m callous because I’m not sensitive to issues concerning myself.

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM

There seems to be a pattern here. Obama says and does things that show he has no empathy towards other people. 1. Making our own vets pay for service related injuries. 2.Skipping a visit with our troops on his European Election tour. 3. Lipstick on a Pig comment. 4. Jessica Simpson weight comment. 5. Special Olympics bowling gaffe. 6. Gordon Brown DVD fiasco. A Complete Narcassist!!!!!

sweet92169 on March 20, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Sarah is right where she belongs — Methville, USA.

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Wow, getalife’s mother showed up.

Actually, the island state O’bama claims to have been born in has perhaps the worst meth epidemic on the planet. Please try again.

Del Dolemonte on March 20, 2009 at 2:06 PM

A question for our Leftists here defending O’bama on this gaffe-if Chimpy Bush had said the exact same thing, would you be giving him a pass too?

(sound of crickets)

Del Dolemonte on March 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Yeah, you’re right, kid. Nobody was ever funny before you guys invented fart jokes. Really.

– Uptight White Guy

warbaby on March 20, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Obama is soooo gonna be slaughtered by Gov. Palin in 2012.

AaronGuzman on March 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM

at this point…we can tell he will clearly be doing a majority of the slaughtering to himself…

she can save her enegry to clean up his mess messes

alexraye on March 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I think I smell Rome burning. Good thing someone is busily fiddling.

Now if only we could get Obama to arrange some deck chairs on that sinking ship.

One termer, barring an act of war.

Krydor on March 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM

This is a joke any guy would say, and it’s time the POTUS can joke with my generation…

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

The One, Pied Piper of nitwits. I’m beginning to understand the appeal.

littleguy on March 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Q. What substance is the most down-to-earth?
A. Whale poop.

Q. Is there a difference between POTUS’ jokes and whale poop?
A. It doesn’t matter – neither one is fit for society.

platypus on March 20, 2009 at 2:26 PM

What a difference!

davo on March 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM

If Americans ever get the chance to see who this woman really is, America would have a chance to reawaken.

Saltysam on March 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Does this “generation”, for whom you speak, know you have a problem with white guys, woman and mothers of DS-children, but you know just where the best places are to score meth?

littleguy on March 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM

He does this kind of thing as a pattern “punished with a child”; “sweetie” etc. It just shows ignorant he is: the specithe para-Olymics competitions I have seen were amazing. Some of the sports are so wonderful to watch, they should become mainstream.

Hope on March 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Congratulations, Ed.

Looks like Rush has a crush on Hot Air!

Saltysam on March 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM

These comments about Obama’s joke are very interesting. Normally, when some “politically correct” morons complain about something like this, conservatives put the jerk in his place and rightfully so. Now, when a president from the opposing political party makes a comment that’s not “politically correct” they think it’s terrible and side with the PC crowd. Why the double standard ?? Anyone who really thinks Obama’s comment was “insensitive” is a PC moron. Period. I HATE politically correct. HATE IT !!

LODGE4 on March 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM

From Mary Katharine Hamm at the Weekly Standard:

It’s worth it.

BuckeyeSam on March 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM

It is doubly offensive that this comment was made by our President, because of what it says about Obama’s character.

It was not a gaffe like, “Stand up, Chuck.” It *was* offensive, not just stupid.

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM

If you choose not to take offense when someone belittles your life experience, that’s your own business. We’re talking about people with disabilities who compete in the Special Olympics, and they deserve better than derision.

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

The change we have all been waiting for is a President who makes fun of Americans with disabilities. Bush looks like a genius reading My Pet Goat on 911 by comparison.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

You know what would be even funnier? You making a crack to someone with a Down’s kid and they proceed to beat you into a pulp. Hahahahaha. I’d pay good money to see that. :)

Blake on March 20, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Anyone who really thinks Obama’s comment was “insensitive” is a PC moron. Period. I HATE politically correct. HATE IT !! I LOVE offending people. LOVE IT!!

LODGE4 on March 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM

You have no use for “PC” behavior, then you’re an authority on manners? That’s not how it works.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Special Olympics is great, they do great things for folks who need it, and I sincerely hope they can stand a joke or two. Thanks.

wkgdyw on March 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM

To all your responses:

+100!

Very well put.

sherry on March 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I’m confused by your implication here.

Your generation is the Special Olympics generation?

Saltysam on March 20, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I’ve noticed that Trig is a snappy dresser.

Blake on March 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM

You’ve read the take from myself and AP…

…from AP and me…

Tzetzes on March 20, 2009 at 3:05 PM

A bowling phenom in the Special Olympics has just challenged Prez Barack Obama to a White House roll-off … and he’ll probably kick Barack’s butt.

Looks like the “joke” is the President himself.

Dear Mr. President, bowling a 129 does not qualify you into the Special Olympics. No need to apply.

Saltysam on March 20, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Sorry for the link problem above… a repost is in order:

Looks like the “joke” is the President himself.

Saltysam on March 20, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Arguing with a typical Hotair commenter is like running in the Special Olympics…

radiofreevillage on March 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM

He and Michelle are common, unsophisticated, people who were in the right place at the right time. It is unrealistic for the American people to expect too much from either one of them. These first 60 days are just the start of an ugly, and I hope not dangerous four years. If America survives the Obamas, she can survive anything.

UnEasyRider on March 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM

OT: Norah O’Donnell grilled Maxine Waters just now on PMSNBC. It was quite a joy to see that.

msmveritas on March 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Man, that Sarah Palin is a class act. President Teleprompter, not so much.

jimmy2shoes on March 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I have a special needs daughter who has been in Special Olympics. I think Obama’s comment was, as the poll said, tone-deaf not really offensive to me, but I can see people who are very sensitive to these sorts of things getting worked up about it. I don’t think I could like Obama less, but this just doesn’t cause me any concern

I LOVED Palin’s comment, because I could have said it. I have the exact same joy seeing my SN daughter cross the finish line at a SO track meet that I do with my other children at their sporting events. What is the difference between a sports-mom and a special Olympics sports-mom nothing… that is as it should be.

darcee on March 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM

She’s magnificent. And Piper and Trig are so adorable.

RepubChica on March 20, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Haunches on March 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM

No, you’re not. It was pointed out last night that in Illinois, nurse Jill Stanek told about a Down syndrome baby who survived abortion and had been shelved in a soiled utility room to die. She went toe to toe against Obama when he was in the Illinois legislature and working against the IL Born-Alive Infants Protection bill.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I kinda agree with Allah on this one, I don’t like being PC even if its targeted against a political opponent. That said, his comments are rife with hypocrisy, stupidity, and were a total waste of time.

It is a particularly good addition to the “if bush had done it” file though.

Kronos on March 20, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I thought this comment from last night had some excellent insight:

Political correctness is an arbitrary speech code that’s not governed by the inherent dignity of actual human beings, rather it’s an arbitrary dictum not to diss friends of the democrat party, namely the militant identity groups like gays and “women” and minorities.

You don’t see the difference between an arbitrary command to leave “certain groups” alone, which is an exercise of coercion, and a moral obligation to respect the inner dignity of the most vulnerable in a society?

Political correctness is frivolous. Respect for human life is not.

jeff_from_mpls on March 20, 2009 at 8:18 AM

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:43 PM

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I think that’s the root of the disagreement. My husband thinks he is dangerous because he is incompetent, naive, and mis-educated. I think he is dangerous because he is amoral, a philosophic socialist/marxist possessing a world view contarary to the interests and safety of the US, surrounded by true believers who hate the US and would like to see complete subjecion of all to promote their power and unconstitutional, leftist, oppressive, world view.

Haunches on March 20, 2009 at 3:49 PM

FYI
Palin Hits Obama on ‘Special Olympics’ Joke
Its on the way

Amadeus on March 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM

The more this moron speaks, the more fuel is piled on the fire of the racists who are convinced that no black has what it takes to lead the free world. Of course this is ridiculous! I have several neighbors who despise Oslime-a and could do ten times the job he is, and truly would bring us into a post racial America.

Oslime-a’s problem isn’t his race. It’s the fact that he is a racist limousine liberal who despises anyone who isn’t of his social status.

csdeven on March 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Obama is not insensitive, he is just basically stupid. He had no clue that those remarks would bother anyone until it was to late to cover them up. In his case I think that the “joke of the week” was appropriate. One million three showed up for his inauguration and nine had to get time off from work.

duff65 on March 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM

radiofreevillage on March 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Not very many “typical Hotair commenters” voted for O’bama.

But 70 percent of high school dropouts did vote for O’bama. 7 out of 10.

Del Dolemonte on March 20, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Palin responds

joey24007 on March 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM

The vast majority have been dismissing this comment as little more than a gaffe. The outrage is over the fact that lesser comments have been blown into national outrages by Barry and the MSM.

MarkTheGreat on March 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM

That’s true, but I don’t understand why 55% have voted that this is “offensive.” It seems like more people should have voted for “not offensive but tone deaf” (which is what I chose) given all the comments.

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

You must have missed the 1000+ comment thread about this from last night.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Thanks, joey.

“I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics,” Governor Palin said. “This was a degrading remark about our world’s most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world.

“These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will. By the way, these athletes can outperform many of us and we should be proud of them. I hope President Obama’s comments do not reflect how he truly feels about the special needs community.”

Great statement by Sarah.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM

If it’s a broader poll, then I’m satisfied, because HotAir of all places should be one where people don’t play the “offended” card. It’s good to see that that’s playing out in the comments.

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Has it occurred to you that perhaps some are not playing any card, but are truly angered by this?

INC on March 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I found this on the Google News page

WASHINGTON (AP) – The White House says President Barack Obama realizes his talk show quip about the Special Olympics was a “thoughtless joke” and the group’s athletes deserve better.

Damn shame that A Bomb, ugh’s supporters don’t get that. Maybe now that their clueless leader has made it plain for them …

DannoJyd on March 20, 2009 at 4:25 PM

BuckeyeSam on March 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM

That was priceless. Hoisting Brooks as well as Obama!

INC on March 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Total Class (Gov. Palin) v. Total @ss. Stick to what your binky tells you to say Teleprompter Barry.

Lou Budvis on March 20, 2009 at 4:36 PM

This guy has never been told no. He has never been denied anything, except a father, and has no boundaries. He is the center of the universe and has no respect for anything or anybody else.

yeah, just words, Barry.

billypaintbrush on March 20, 2009 at 4:37 PM

“Just words? Just speeches? Don’t tell me words don’t matter.”

lutherjw on March 20, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I don’t think most families caring for mentally-challenged loved ones will give two seconds thought to this slur. People get way too offended over things these days.
ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Well, one family, the Palins, definitely is annoyed. Momma Grizzly fired off an official press release condemning the Comic-In-Chief.

Jim62sch on March 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM

This administration and the POTUS preform like the special Olympics without the Special people.See iowahawk for details.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on March 20, 2009 at 5:26 PM

may all the democratic women pigs who gave this beautiful woman such a hard time rot in hell.

Ghoul aid on March 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Allah, Give Palin a pass. I mean if you have had to go through six months of Andrew Sullivan obessing over your ueterus and “Trig trutherism” for blatently partisan purposes to help Obama get elected, you might be a bit sensitive too.

Mr. Joe on March 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Sarah Palin is a beautiful person who loves her family and cares about the needs of others. Obama only cares about himself – not a good mindset for the POTUS.

Siren46 on March 20, 2009 at 5:37 PM

INC on March 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM

It occurred to me, and I wrote about it too:

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I am mostly characterizing what others on HotAir have said, and have spoken very little about my own views other than to say that I’m not offended by this. Why are you targeting me and not the numerous others who have expressed much more extreme sentiments regarding this?

Also, I don’t know if you posted in threads on issues similar to this (at least superficially). Did you find Barack the Magic Negro offensive? What about Imus’s comments? Obviously there are differences between the situations, but there are commonalities as well.

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM

How can anyone see that video with Gov. Palin, Piper, and Trig and not get a little verklempt?

AaronGuzman on March 20, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Haven’t read through the other comments, but did anyone else notice that he crosses his legs like a chick?

El_Terrible on March 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM

There’s a range of positions people have taken on issues like this (obviously this is not all possibilities):

1. I’m not offended, and if you are, you’re wrong.
2. I’m not offended, and I don’t believe that other people are.
3. I’m not offended, others may be, but it’s not a big deal.
4. I’m not offended, others may be, and it was stupid/wrong to say it.
5. I’m offended, but it’s not a big deal.
6. I’m offended, others may not be, but it was stupid/wrong to say it.
7. I’m offended, and if you’re not, you’re wrong.

I’m somewhere between #3 and #4. Many commenters on here in past threads about similar issues have been closer to #2 and #1, which I think it completely insensitive and close-minded. chunderroad seems to be closer to #7, which I think is similarly going too far.

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 6:02 PM

tasteless joke, without doubt. Who in this glass house has NEVER made fun of retarded person? Anyone? no one? Please, the president should be ashamed for sure, but I have made special Olympic jokes before, so it would be hypocritical for me to condemn his “joke”.Righteous indignation example A.

greataunty on March 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I missed your earlier comment.

I do try to speak up against moral wrongs as well as saying thanks for morally right actions. I try to pick my battles and part of that is trying to gauge when I’m casting pearls before swine. This was an instance of a very powerful person deriding those who are deserving of protection.

As for Obama the ‘Magic Negro’ the term first came out in the piece I linked to in the LA Times. Here’s a photo of the author, David Ehrensetin. Wiki states: “His father was a secular Jew with Polish ancestors, and his mother was of African American and white Irish descent.” With that background I suppose he thinks he can say what he whatever he wants to say.

Imus is about 99.9% offensive. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, that somewhere there’s a .1% that’s OK.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I think it`s in bad taste but I just don`t like Obama so I am sure that influences my opinion…the glass house thing certainly applies, what gets me is…THIS GUY IS THE PRESIDENT!!…has this NOT sunk into his head? does he NOT realize that he is held to a higher standard as a result(as he should be)??? What concerns me is his complete lack of understanding of this fact…he is a HUGE embarrassment to this entire Nation…Sarah on the other hand is 180deg from “him”, class,SUBSTANCE and smart.

NY Conservative on March 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I don’t really think that TOTUS was trying to be insulting, but the fact is, he WAS. It shows a clear lack of depth in his character. That off the cuff remarks clearly shows his mindset.

He diminished the office of the Presidency when he want on Leno, he demeaned the office with that remark. It shows a clear lack of compassion for some of our most special citizens.

ladyingray on March 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM

greataunty on March 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Ah, so with this mindset the fact that someone has made racist, ethnic, or sexist “joke” makes it okay when a politician “misspeaks?”

That “forgiveness” only depends on if there is an (R) or a (D) after your name. If it’s an (R), you’re sunk; ask George Allen. But if it’s a (D), it gets a pass. Just ask Joe Biden.

You are, truly, a hypocrit.

ladyingray on March 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM

greataunty on March 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Ever been President? Ever been a pompous, holier-than-thou, phony-righteously-indignant, windbag Democrat President who casually cracks on the disabled, clearly demonstrating a capability to denigrate and belittle the weak and defenseless when he thinks no one is looking?

littleguy on March 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Hey, get you facts straight. “Barack the Magic Negro” is a phrase coined by a Los Angeles Times writer. The song you are supposedly upset about was taken as a parody of the leftist writer’s column calling the Comic In Chief exactly that. So let’s not say or imply Rush was insulting. He was reporting what a leftist columnist wrote about CiC. It’s going to be a long four years for both of us, but I have an idea who will win.

65droptop on March 20, 2009 at 8:32 PM

7. I’m offended, and if you’re not, you’re wrong.

tneloms on March 20, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Maria Shriver agrees with me. Obama’s comment was offensive whether it was intended to be or not.

Often times we don’t realize that when we laugh at comments like this it hurts millions of people throughout the world,” added Shriver.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM

whether it was intended to be intentional or not.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 9:12 PM

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Wrong thread maggot. Check before you post.

Sapwolf on March 20, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Joe Kennedy had his daughter Rosemary lobotomized (this was the sister of Eunice Kennedy Shriver, Maria’s mother) which rendered her mentally disabled but whether she “needed” this lobotomy is anyone’s guess.
It was Joe’s resort to control her “mood swings” and he did it without telling his wife or seeking her permission.

Jenfidel on March 20, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I thought I should repost this comment from another thread.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Iowahawk posts Barry’s letters to concerned Special Olympic parents.

I wounder if Allah will chastise Iowahawk too?

Mr. Joe on March 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM

You obviously regurgitate party pablum. The term was not coined by David Ehrenstein or any LA Times writer.

The term refers to a concept that is decades old but touches on observed social and racial theories going back several decades. The magical negro essentially represents the ideal of a black man benevolent by way of his subservience to whites who is also sexually neutered and thereby protects white women without getting any tail. Morgan Freeman, Sam Jackson, even Denzel Washington have all been mentioned as playing such characters.

The term itself is widely attributed to Spike Lee, but there is no compelling case for his being very original, so I would bet the first person to utter that phrase is still alive…and is not named Spike.

Either way, think for yourself. Quit spitting up cud.

The Race Card on March 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Driving around the heartland this morning, thinking of this stupid comment by our President, one thought came across my mind; I hope there is a Special Olympian out there who could smoke this jerk in bowling! As it turns out, a regional director of Special Olympics was on Good Morning America (How Are ya?) today, and said that he has a bowler in his ranks who’s thrown three perfect games!?!
So, not only is our President an arrogant jerk, in this regard – he is flat out dillusional if he thinks his 129 could ever qualify him for the Special Olympics. Keep practicing, Mr. President!!!!

malcolmania on March 20, 2009 at 11:50 PM

This is Obama’s “macaca” moment.

AaronGuzman on March 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I am so grateful that Ed covered this. Thank you.

Christine on March 21, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Sure I’ve made stupid comments about retarded people before–when I was like, 15. I don’t know the age of most people in here but I think it’s pretty safe to say if they are past 47 they probably haven’t done it lately with a roomful of people listening. An audience generally makes people think before they run their mouths.

But 47 years, millions of people listening and watching, advisors, cameras pointing at his face and the most powerful job in the world STILL failed to provide this eejit with that kind of filter.

Teleprompter Barry: “Your tax dollars at work.”

fireweednectar on March 21, 2009 at 4:22 AM

DICK.

leftnomore on March 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM

In your opinion Bush was mature, humble and comapasionate? LOL

-Tell that to the people who suffered through Katrina.

You mean the people who Mayor Wonka refused to evacuate even though there were ample buses to evacuate those ‘left behind’?

-Tell that to people who lost half of their wealth under this financial crisis which started UNDER BUSH

You mean after Bush warned Congress that this was coming and the Democrats refused to listen and threatened to filibuster any attempt at reform?

-Tell that disabled people whose hope were diminished because the arrogant Bush wouldn’t use federal funds for Stem cell research.

Actually President Bush did allow fedearl grants for stem cell research, In fact, it was the decision to NOT grant federal funds for EMBRYONIC stem cell research (the research that uses ‘unborn children’ as science experiments) that led to many breakthrough discoveries with ADULT type stem cells that are 100% matches to the donor.

No rejection issues as we would have with research on the unborn child Dr. Frankenstein science experiments.

Me thinks you need to educate yourself on ESC research (has produced nothing but uncrontollable tumorous growths) versus nonESC’s (the stem cells that hold promise and have no rejection issues).

-Tell that to the families who have lost sons in the Useless Iraq war which should have never been waged.

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I would not call their deaths ‘useless’. I would consider them to be heroes who were willing to put their lives on the line to ensure others in this world might be lucky enough to taste the freedoms that they have known as Americans.

Mr Purple on March 21, 2009 at 6:44 AM