AOL Hot Seat Poll: The Special Olympics joke

posted at 10:15 am on March 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

You’ve read the take from myself and AP on Barack Obama’s “Special Olympics” wisecrack last night. Now it’s your turn to weigh in. Along with AOL’s readers, join in a poll to give your verdict on Obama’s attempt at levity on Leno. Offensive? Funny? Unwise?

To help you out, here’s the actual video, and I’ll compare it to another notable comment about the Special Olympics from a major political figure this month. First, thank goodness we elected that brilliant and witty Chicago politician:

And thank goodness we didn’t elect that classless trailer-park hick from Alaska:

Er …..

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

With his smoking, every puff takes off 10 minutes of his life. Everytime he speaks, it takes 10 minutes off his second term.

sherry on March 20, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Very good.

myrenovations on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Geeze, even the still from his Leno appearance is snotty. Can that man hold his nose any higher?

We don’t need a ‘hip’ president, we need a competent one. This guy’s such a rookie.

obladioblada on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

PimFortuynsGhost on March 20, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Yeah, I know. I just like pointing out that he’s missing a link.

AubieJon on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills?

Reaching desperately.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

but I bet you will stay quiet when that bigot rush limbaugh makes one. Like you did when he wished Ted Kennedy was dead

Suggesting that the Dems will call the social health care plan: Ted Kennedy Memorial Health Care Plan is equal to wishing his death in your mind? Really?

carbon_footprint on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Well,you know,

he didn`t mean it,

maybe you took it wrong,

maybe you didn`t hear right,

your taking him out of context,

your putting words in his mouth,

I cannot believe you think Hopey meant that,

its a Vast Right Wing Conspiracy that made Obama
say that,

the next thing you want me to believe,is that the Teleprompter is possessed,and the screen said it!!
(Snark)ahem,hehe.

canopfor on March 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM

So when does Obama’s administration start exterminating the retards and handicapped? I am thinking they will be changing the Democratic National Committee’s name to the National Sozialististische Arbeiter Partei soon and Obama can be Chancellor?

ObamatheMessiah on March 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills?

Reaching desperately.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

You are not even trying anymore are you?

carbon_footprint on March 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I fully agree. I don’t think most families caring for mentally-challenged loved ones will give two seconds thought to this slur. People get way too offended over things these days.
ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I guess I’m not part of the “most” you’re referring to – are you?.

katiejane on March 20, 2009 at 10:48 AM

If we apply the PC standard leftists hold conservatives to, this was a vile, highly offensive, prejudice, hateful and crude invective. He should be publicly humiliated and flogged by the national media until he crawls on his belly and begs forgiveness. After which, he should wear a Scarlett letter and be forever dismissed by the national media, academia, and third rate comedians as a disgusting bigot.

The reality is the comment was an attempt at humor. Albeit a lame attempt, not because it wouldn’t have been funny say delivered by “Larry the Cable Guy”. This is Larry’s type of humor, juvenile and sophomoric. It should have not been uttered by the President of the United States. He should have known better.

I am with Allah on this one. It is not offensive to me personally, but rather hypocritical.

DeathB4Tyranny on March 20, 2009 at 10:48 AM

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills?

Reaching desperately.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Do you even read these, or do you just post via free association?

loudmouth883 on March 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM

It seemed appropriate to me.
On the other hand, I’m no fan of the special Olympics, or the euphemism “special” for that matter.
But, then, 129 is better than I can bowl, and I don’t see why someone with enough disability to qualify for the special Olympics wouldn’t be able to do much better.
Maybe I’m just insensitive. I’d rather complain about the way the man is spending us into a depression.

Count to 10 on March 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM

conservatives should be the one defending Obama over this since they are always ‘troubled” by PC.

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I’ve never heard one be troubled by a PC president. When offenses can start wars, it’s best to choose your words wisely.

If Bush had said this, I’d have voted the same way.

Comments like that are not appropriate for a world leader or any nation, let alone the United States.

Esthier on March 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I guess I’m not part of the “most” you’re referring to – are you?.

Yes, as a matter of fact.

ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Pointing out his gaffe, getting some milage out of his gaffe, making fun of him for being so tone deaf… All good fun for those of us who have to put up with the insufferable “he’s so cool” crap.

It’s not like we’re going to whip this out in 2012 as our only argument against re-electing him.

myrenovations on March 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Teleprompter blamed in 4, 3, 2, 1……

ObamatheMessiah on March 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM

-Tell that to people who lost half of their wealth under this financial crisis which started UNDER BUSH

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM

And now the stock market has dropped over 2000 points under Obama, and he spent trillions of dollars on Democratic party giveaways but didn’t create jobs, preserve wealth or even address the economy. Key Treasury positions remain unfilled because no one wants to work there, Geithner’s an idiot or all of the above. There’s your Katrina moment! Obama fiddled while DC burned.

Bush banned funding on embryonic stem cell research and human therapeutic cloning – which has produced ZERO patents or cures in 20 years v. adult stem cells which produced at least 72 — and Bush was vindicated by science.

Your bringing up the Iraq War to score cheap political points besmirches the honor of the soldiers who proudly served their country and the sacrifice their families gladly made so that Iraqis could enjoy the freedom Americans like you take for granted.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Absolutely he did it on purpose. He’s a snarky kind of guy and it plays into his “cool” image. Left without his teleprompter he is on his own and it just reveals the kind of jerk he is. Of course it was directed at Sarah’s family. It comes off as self-deprecating, but it isn’t. He has a whole history of this with his finger flashing and trashing every Republican icon that is living or ever has lived. The list keeps on growing, however settling on Sarah seems like a good plan to him.

BetseyRoss on March 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Trig is clearly a happy baby, and Piper is going to spoil him rotten.:)

Count to 10 on March 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

myrenovations on March 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Exactly!

loudmouth883 on March 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Misstep? Maybe. But he’s in he big leagues now and this faux pas is just one more example of how Obama simply wasn’t ready for the job. Every day we see example after example of how this country will NEVER be ready for him.

Oink on March 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Mr. President thinks decorum is something an Interior Designer does.

kingsjester on March 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

And too many useless retards on the Left.

seejanemom on March 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM

It’s not that liberals are stupid: It is that what they think they know, just isn’t so.

Right_of_Attila on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

No, but it’s going to be just one item in a very long string of gaffes over the next four years. Expect Hannity to put it in one of his audio montages.

ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills?

Reaching desperately.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

What does everyone the MSM remember about Gerald Ford? He tripped and hit his head a lot.

What does the MSM remember about Dan Quayle? He read “Potatoe” off of a misspelled card, and was forever labeled an idiot.

What will the MSM remember about Obama? He truly has stepped in the bullcrap up to his neck, and they give him a pass, everytime. So shut up.

kirkill on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

See what happens when you let Biden’s teleprompter hang out with TOTUS?

On a serious note-it was offensive. Moreso after seeing this side-by-side comparison. Ugh.

canditaylor68 on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

“the President making fun of his bowling skills?”

By comparing his admittedly lousy skills to those of Special Olympians?

So, if I try to make fun of my own throwing skills by saying: “I throw like a girl,” I’m not insulting girls?

Or if I say, “Man, sometimes I’m so incoherent in my replies I sound just like getalife,” I’m not insulting getalife?

“Reaching desperately” is right.

notropis on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

remember in the campaign when he shot McCain the Finger? not the first time, he is classless.

he’s also drunk on his own ego and all the messiah worship.

jp on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

That is the least unwanted child on the planet. Piper didn’t even bother to mug for the camera, she had her little brother to love on. Their rewards are already being dispensed.

Maquis on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

-Tell that to the people who suffered through Katrina.
loudmouth883 on March 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM

wow….really….

1) Bush can not control the weather
2) they were told to evacuate and did not
3) Gov and Mayor were both Dems
4) thousands of Americans went to help, and are still their helping regardless of the Gov.

alexraye on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills at the expense of the disabled?

Reaching desperately.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

FIFY

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

0bama: Tone Deaf

If Michelle Obama were pregnant with a Down-Syndrome Child it would never be born.

Disturb the Universe on March 20, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Perfect Pitch

warbaby on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I always try to view things in the “there but for the grace of God go I” attitude. Obviously it was not meant to be a hit at special needs people but I do think it reflects his overall disdain for the great unwashed. It is much easier to throw money at these people and make them dependents then to actually have human interaction. I add to this that the man who will get in Air Force One in a New York minute for any reason, could not be bothered to go see victims of the ice storm in Kentucky and tornado in Oklahoma. I think we are going to look back on this as another piece to the puzzle.

Cindy Munford on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Palin mops the the floor with The TOTUS. One thing about Palin that puzzles me though is when Cameron of Fox News reported that Sarah came to answer hotel door wearing nothing but a towel and it startled and digusted the McCain staffers. If I was standing there and Palin answered the door in nothing but a towel…startled and disgusted would have been the last things on my mind!!

Dire Straits on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I thought this was the special olympics?

Poptech on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

he’s also drunk on his own ego and all the messiah worship.

jp on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I do remember that and don’t forget he also did the same thing to Hillary during the primaries.

carbon_footprint on March 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM

See what happens when you let Biden’s teleprompter hang out with TOTUS?

canditaylor68 on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

ahahahahaaa

alexraye on March 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills?

Reaching desperately.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

If you dont get it-no ones going to explain-even if we do you will ignore it. If you are old enough to write on a blog and dont understand how this is offensive-its just simply too late for you to get it.

canditaylor68 on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

As a person of the female persuasion, I can honestly say I would not be offended at that phrase. In fact, I always get a good hearty laugh out of watching guys throw like girls. It’s hysterical.

ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

notropis on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

In this case you would only be insulting yourself.

loudmouth883 on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Having a Special Olympics kid of my own I can tell you that, from my perspective, it was just a stupid gaffe.

Can’t stand what Obama stands for. But what he said wasn’t meant to intentionally put down people with mental disabilities.

The only resentment I have is that the main stream press gives Obama a pass that any conservative leader would not get. Perhaps that is because most of the main stream press isn’t talented enough to qualify for The Special Olympics. And no. That was not a gaffe.

watson007 on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

-Tell that to the people who suffered through Katrina.

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM

So much arrogance, so little intelligence.
Must be a liberal.

1) Katrina was not Bush’s fault. Fault the Democrat governor and mayor if you want to find fault with that mess.

2) The first time the media noticed the mess was under Bush. True, but it did not start under Bush. The roots trace all the way back to Clinton. Bush tried to do something about it, but Democrats in the Senate would not permit it.

3) Bush did not ban federal funds for stem cell research. He banned federal funds on new embrionic stem cell lines. Existing lines were permitted. He had no limits on federal funds for adult stem cells. THere were also no restrictions on state and private money.
Regardless, embrionic stem cells have resulted in precisely ZERO treatments. It’s proven to be a complete waste of time. ALL, and I do mean ALL, of the progress that has been made has been made with adult stem cells.

4) Most of the families of those who died in Iraq disagree with you to the point of violence regarding it being a war that should not have been faught.

MarkTheGreat on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I’d rather complain about the way the man is spending us into a depression.

Count to 10 on March 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I feel capable of doing both, personally.

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills?

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

When you make fun of yourself, by comparing yourself to the lowest group you can think of, you are making fun of that group. That you can’t put those two together, is something else entirely.

Again, coming from someone who isn’t responsible for leading the nation and the world, it would just be a bad joke. Forgive me, but I hold the President to a higher standard.

Esthier on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

My guess is Obama’s next weekend at Camp David will be taken up with some intensive training on improving the president’s improv skills (maybe they can secretly sneak Tina Fey down to Maryland, or give Al Franken something to work on while he’s awaiting that Minnesota recount result).

jon1979 on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Agreed. By 2012, we can do a special part of the convention where we just run a “speech” made up entirely of Obama gaffes.

Cracking the “uber cool” image is just one part of reducing him to a beatable size.

But we’re going to defeat him on actual policies.

myrenovations on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Remember,

I give you exhibit A,

a Liberal called another Liberal,

a la MENTAL,aka,Blagovich!
———————–

And exhibit B, in Obama`s own words,he screwed up,

therefore,hes a ScrewUp!!

canopfor on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I thought this was the special olympics?

Poptech on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

no this is

alexraye on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Never mind.

He needs these distractions so he can spend more to fix the economic disaster.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

O.K., just watched after promising myself I wouldn’t…

I have only one word to describe what I just watched:

Narcissist / just to start with

Keemo on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

to Obama, this is all a hs popularity contest. The cool kids get to put down everyone else.

jp on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Obama needs more exposure. I hope he goes on more TV without his teleprompter.

Greg Toombs on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

The Palin video was very nice. Probably done in one take and w/o a teleprompter.

It’s too bad that most Libs can not decipher the difference between someone with real class and someone who talks a good game.

BierManVA on March 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I thought this was the special olympics?

Poptech on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

How many times do we have to tell you? We already know what the MSM thinks about Palin.

kahall on March 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I hate Obama, but let’s be honest. We all make comments at some point about someone being retarded or something. Let’s lighten up. This is just PCism for the “retarded”.

By the way, retarded is a medical term and is fully valid, don’t know why we act so sensitive about that word.

Tim Burton on March 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Wow, thanks for posting that video of Governor Palin. What a great lady she is, and what a lucky boy Trig Palin is.

Obama stepped in a big old pile of dog crap with this dumb comment. I hope it takes weeks to get the stink off his shoes. A few more unforced errors like this and Rahm will have him tied to that Teleprompter permanently.

rockmom on March 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM

MarkTheGreat on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Excellent…

Keemo on March 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Like Karl Rove said during election season, Obama’s that condescending country club guy with the martini and cigarette who stands against the wall and makes snide comments about everyone.

Remember the lipstick-on-a-pig insult directed at Palin?

Remember mocking Nancy Reagan about Hillary’s alleged White House seances?

At best, Obama’s got a graciousness deficit, a thin skin and petty passive-aggressiveness. At worst, he’s got some serious personal issues that the stresses of his job and the sycophantic enabling of those closest to him — including the media — will only exacerbate.

Terrie on March 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Nice343, this is the thread you’ve been saving your account for? I would have thought it would at least be one about Ann Coulter.

Speedwagon82 on March 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 10:51 AM

I keep hearing right wing nuts saying the Iraq war was neccessary for “America’s Freedom”

-How exactly was Iraq a threat to America prior to the Invasion?

How many weapons of WMD’s have we found since being in Iraq?

Bush has a lot of blood on his hands

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap.”

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I thought this was the special olympics?

Poptech on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

More of your “facts”, eh? You and The One, perfect together.

littleguy on March 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM

It was a gaffe. He didn’t mean it as a cheap shot,/blockquote>

Of course. According to Webster
Gaffe: something only Democrats commit

Republicans only make intentional offensive remarks.

Then there is the MSM rule:
Always take Democrats at their word and in the best possible light.
Never give Republicans the benefit of the doubt, and always portray the most sinister ulterior motive.

broncojason on March 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM

This sort of comment is the result of character flaws in Obama.

Prediction: We will see many more examples of this arrogance, lack of knowledge and judgment as Obama becomes an embarrassment to Democrats.

The chickens of character assassination will come home to ROOST!

Right_of_Attila on March 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Terrie on March 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Amen. The man has issues.

Maquis on March 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Obama the Special Olympian!

IntheNet on March 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

You won. Remember? Try to deal with it.

kahall on March 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Only 8% thought Obama was funny? Given that AOL is a pretty broad based; I would have to say his hard-core base (getalife & co) is shrinking rapidly.

Norwegian on March 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM

All obama needs to do is make fun of Alzheimers,Lou Gehrigs, maybe some Parkinsons Disease shaking jokes,a couple of Aids jokes, and he will officially be Douche bag in chief.

portlandon on March 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Just a stupid gaffe. Yes
The real story here is a sitting potus touring late night television shows. WTF is up with that. This guy is obsessed with being popular, being a star… The whole messiah thing.

Narcissist.

Keemo on March 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM

More of your “facts”, eh? You and The One, perfect together.

littleguy on March 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM

No I have the facts. And there is nothing perfect about the neo-marxist.

Poptech on March 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Wait a tic,this verbal wildfire needs more gas,

lets see,oh ya,the Left had a collective catiniption fit,
when McCain was getting compensation from his injurys after
being held by the North Vietnamese!!

canopfor on March 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Who are the brain dead 8% in the poll who thought that was funny?

Disgusting.

FireBlogger on March 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

-How exactly was Iraq a threat to America prior to the Invasion?

Uh, how was Kosovo? Or Somalia? Or is this a criteria only Bush must meet?

snickelfritz on March 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Mayber there is a better analogy that Obama could have used rather than the Special Olympics comparison:

- Obama: “I am about as good at bowling as Geitner is at rescuing our economy – lots of gutter balls and soon the country will be having lots of strikes.

- Obama: “I need more experience bowling. Senator Dodd has had his hands in the pocketbook of AIG more times than I have had my fingers in a bowling ball.”

- Obama: “My bowling is about as good as me giving a speech without a teleprompter.”

albill on March 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

nice343,

If that’s the way you see it, you should be out there protesting obama. He’s not exactly pulling us out of the war. But, he is ensuring our insecurity by promoting amnesty, kissing achmedenejad’s ass, and planning to unleash gitmo terrorists in our neighborhoods.

Why isn’t Code Stink squawking and squealing at obama’s public appearances? And why aren’t you there in a pink tee shirt?

ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

The joke is totally forgiveable, just like his Nancy Reagan crack was. That’s not the issue.

The issue is the double standard the press has.

MaxMBJ on March 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM

There are two issues: the offensive joke and the hypocrisy of Obama and all liberals, including the MSM.

The hypocrisy issue is blatant. However, to be angry only about liberals’ hypocrisy leaves one open to claims of “faux” or politically motivated outrage, just as conservatives accuse liberals of using to promote political correctness. So, we have an hypocrisy loop, and everyone’s hypocritical. Move on. Get a life.

However, many conservatives try to live lives that are respectful of the dignity of human life. That doesn’t mean we don’t make mistakes, or that we are trying to impose a speech code. But it does mean we get upset when anyone, regardless of politics, shows a careless disregard for the dignity of a human beings, and most especially for those least able to defend themselves.

When is it ever funny to make “retard” jokes? When is it ever funny to joke about the limitations of disabled vets?

Loxodonta on March 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

kirkill on March 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Good point. If people won’t let “potatoe” go, how can anyone complain if we rip on Obama for this?

ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Sure, that’s funny, but since when is it funny to say, “I play like a retard” in polite company?

Besides, even for Obama to say he throws like a girl is still unbecoming of the President.

Esthier on March 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Terrie on March 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

How many black people do you see in a “country club”
karl rove is as dumb as they come. He part of the reason the republican Party is becoming a minority party.

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I have a son with Spina Bifida and even I will make jokes of this nature among close friends and family. Even before my son was born, years before, I worked as a CNA in a few facilities for multi-handicapped persons. The staff made jokes; it’s a kind of pressure-relief valve.

That said, it seems that the President is unaware of, or somehow disengaged from, the gravity of his position.

Not that I’m surprised.

pugwriter on March 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM

TOTUS’s supporters here can claim this was not an insult all they want, but they will never convince me that they didn’t cringe just a little when they heard it.

ladyingray on March 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM

when that bigot rush limbaugh makes one. Like you did when he wished Ted Kennedy was dead nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Stating that a National Health Care Bill would be name in memorial of Sen. Kennedy, who has championed this cause and who is, at this moment in an precarious state of health, can hardly be called a death wish. The fact that you see it that way says more about you then it does about Rush.

Cindy Munford on March 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Who are the brain dead 8% in the poll who thought that was funny?

FireBlogger on March 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I did but then again I’ve made jokes like that before. He obviously was not trying to offend Special Olympians. Oh the tortures that will be inflicted now thanks to YouTube.

Poptech on March 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I can honestly say I would not be offended at that phrase.

ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

This brings up a good point a lot of people are missing. I didn’t say anything about whether someone should be offended. My point was, that, of course I was backhandedly insulting “girls.” That you’re not offended just shows you you know how to take a joke.

Obama clearly delivered a backhanded insult to special needs kids. And it was totally out of place for a president, whether anyone was, or should be, offended or not. If he were more concerned about being president, and less concerned about being the coolest guy on the stage, he wouldn’t make those type of snarky, insulting comments. Leave them for Bill Maher, or Don Imus.

(Oops, that’s right. Don Imus isn’t allowed to make those comments either, or so Obama says.)

notropis on March 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM

How many black people do you see in a “country club”

nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

When I grew up, there were plenty of black members in the 2 different country clubs my family belonged to. And that was in West Virginia, you jerk.

myrenovations on March 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM

let me see, the so called leader of the free world, the most eloquent man on the planet belittles Special Olympics for a cheap laugh. Offensive ? Yes. Wrong ? Hell yeah ! Oh, and this is not a case of PC, it is a case of a total lack of common decency. Civilized people do not demean weaker in their midst. Civilized people, naturally , are disgusted with it. Should this be glanced over because of other “more important” issues ? Hell no! Criticism of this administration’s policies and criticism of obama’s immorality are not mutually exclusive.

runner on March 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I hate the whole PCtalk gotcha game, but our side didn’t create the game, and Obama’s whole career has been based on identity politics so I have no sympathy for him. He can turn on the spit for a while.

DFCtomm on March 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Give me a ‘special’ olympian anytime over the corrupt, arrogant, egotistical politicians that we are being bankrupted by. Our current batch of leaders could learn much if they would spend a day with the Special Olympians – truth, honesty, leadership, compassion…

The ONE just does not have a clue.

libertylady on March 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills?

Reaching desperately.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

You are not even trying anymore are you?

carbon_footprint on March 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM

c_f – Very funny. Best thing I have read this week, maybe this month or this year. Thanks.

Sweetness0726 on March 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM

What does this have to do with the President making fun of his bowling skills?

Reaching desperately.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

You are not even trying anymore are you?

carbon_footprint on March 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Sweetness0726 on March 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Obama should have never went full retard:

guido911 on March 20, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I’m not so thin-skinned as to find Obama’s quip offensive, but it was a dumb thing to say…especially in his position.

What I find most remarkable is the contrast between the media reaction to Obama’s gaffe, and what it would have been had Dubya said it.

LimeyGeek on March 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I don’t think Obama hates “retards”, I just think he thinks they are beneath him…

bloggless on March 20, 2009 at 10:27 AM

He’s a leftist… All are beneath him. Just keep quiet and they’ll figure out what is best for you…

Obama’s remark was offensive.

It’s all about the context, you see.

He’s Chief of the PC Police and we should view it in that light.

Greg Toombs on March 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM

After 8 years of hyperbolic indignation from the left, its time to hoist these whinny children up on their own petard.

Personally, I don’t offend, except to be offended by people who are easily offended… Frankly anyone other than POTUS is free to make this statement on Leno, and if the line is well delivered, I’ll chuckle.

However, I’m disgusted by the hypocrisy of mendacious il-liberals who gave us this empty suit leftist, who truly can’t put two words together on his own, who is classless enough to give DVD’s as an official gift to our strongest ally and then actually appear on a late night talk-show, and whose idea of “change” is to drag down the most free and efficient society in history.

phreshone on March 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Tell that to the people who suffered through Katrina.
loudmouth883 on March 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM
wow….really….

1) Bush can not control the weather
2) they were told to evacuate and did not
3) Gov and Mayor were both Dems

alexraye on March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Hold on there Spanky! I believe you have misqouted! That was nice343, not spouting the talking points. I had rebuttals for everyone of those points, but I didn’t want to beat a dumb horse.

But since you called me out…

-Tell that to the people who suffered through Katrina.-The fault of local and state govt. incopetence
Tell that to people who lost half of their wealth under this financial crisis which started UNDER BUSH acutally started under Carter, magnified by Clinton, and compounded by Dodd, Frank, Waters, et al
-Tell that disabled people whose hope were diminished because the arrogant Bush wouldn’t use federal funds for Stem cell research. I believe Bush was the first to fund stem cell research. Which, as mentioned by another commenter, eSC research has produced squat where as aSC has produced 72+ patents
-Tell that to the families who have lost sons in the Useless Iraq war which should have never been waged. I guess 17 disregarded UN sanctions, attempted assination of a former president, and the funding of terrorists was no reason to go to war..

loudmouth883 on March 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Word.

radiofreevillage on March 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM

The issue with President Obama,is THINK,before you speak!

And the real issue,is the NeverEnding,non-stop,every hour,
you can bet your dollar,ongoing,

pattern of gaffes!

He is consistently putting his foot into his mouth!

Its not radom,

its every day!!

Liberals out there,can you not see the light on this,

or as YOUR President,you perfer to keep looking over

your shoulder and pretend it doesn`t exist!!

canopfor on March 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Now that I think about it, though, what in the world is the President of the United States of America doing chatting informally on a late night comedy show?
Decorum?

Count to 10 on March 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM

How many black people do you see in a “country club”
nice343 on March 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

How racially insensitive of you. P

carbon_footprint on March 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM

“How exactly was Iraq a threat to America prior to the Invasion?”

Wow, a slam dunk question. Let’s see, where do I start:

- Iraq had WMD and used it against their own people, and against the Iranians.
- Iraq launched an unprovoked war against Iran that killed over a million people.
- Iraq invaded Kuwait unprovoked, caused thousands of deaths and billions in losses, and when they pulled out they blew up 900 oilfields causing the biggest environmental disaster ever that cost billions more to clean up.
- During that war they launched SCUD missiles into populated areas in Israel, which was not involved in the war, just to kill civilians.
- Iraq killed over 300k shiites for opposing the regime
- Iraq diverted billions of dollar from the food for oil program destined to the civilian population to arms purchases and secret weapon programs.
- Iraq kicked out the UN weapons inspectors making it impossible to verify the disposal of their WMD.
- Iraq refused to come clean on what happened to their WMD stocks.
- Saddam Hussein had access to billions of dollars from the Iraq central bank, and the other option to taking him out was to trust in his sanity that he would never fund terrorism or develop WMD.

But no, Iraq was no threat.

broncojason on March 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM

He is an affirmative actioned community organizer with a deep voice…that is ALL he is. Endless debate about why he doesn’t act like a President is totally worthless. He doesn’t know how a President behaves, what a President does, he doesn’t really care and he is not capable…end of the story.

The rest is just blah, blah, blah….

yes I am fed up…

winston on March 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Word.
radiofreevillage on March 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM

You do know Ed was being sarcastic, don’t you, Skippy?

kingsjester on March 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM