AOL Hot Seat Poll: The Special Olympics joke

posted at 10:15 am on March 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

You’ve read the take from myself and AP on Barack Obama’s “Special Olympics” wisecrack last night. Now it’s your turn to weigh in. Along with AOL’s readers, join in a poll to give your verdict on Obama’s attempt at levity on Leno. Offensive? Funny? Unwise?

To help you out, here’s the actual video, and I’ll compare it to another notable comment about the Special Olympics from a major political figure this month. First, thank goodness we elected that brilliant and witty Chicago politician:

And thank goodness we didn’t elect that classless trailer-park hick from Alaska:

Er …..

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

This just proves how often people mistakenly associate classy with an ivy league education. Palin has more class than O and all her critics combined.

Done That on March 21, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I cannot believe that my friends who are also parents of children with Down syndrome voted for Barack Obama thinking that he could do more for our children than the ticket actually having a mother of a child with Down syndrome. Some banked on his promise to fully fund IDEA (for special education).

In the meantime, his Tom Daschle-lifeboat brand of Universal Healthcare will deem our children less valuable and less worthy of care. His stupid comment already shows us that he deems our children less valuable…

Candy Slice on March 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Permanent CHA [Cover His Ass] MSM Meme:

Did Obama say something?

profitsbeard on March 21, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Done That on March 21, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I’ve seen steaming stuff fresh out of a dog that has more class than obama and his minions.

I know a couple of people with special needs kids. I can’t believe that the POTUS would be this insensitive and outright stupid (or malicious)

Given the situation with Governor Palin and obama’s previous willingness to be crude I’m wondering if this isn’t deliberate. (the McCain/Computer bs, the Fingers to Hillary and McCain, the “Pigs in lipstick” etc)

So, here is a question for all the obama apologists butt boys out there

One of the following is true, which one is

1. Your idol is so steeped in incompetence that he can’t even handle a friendly ‘gimme’ on late night TV with a friendly host without slamming his thing in the door.

2. He is super smart and this was done deliberately to advance some agenda of his.

If you answer is one, then how the hell can you sleep at night if you consider how he will react in a crisis situation (ie nukes going off or ready to go off). If you answered one, then you admitted you voted for bozo the assclown.

If you answered 2, then you are admitting that this guy is about as close to the antichrist we’ve seen. A guy who would deliberately laugh at special needs children and use them for some purpose (Possibly to ridicule Palin so she doesn’t run in 2012???))

Either way, that comment proves that the jug eared jackass is the wrong person to be leading the country.

bullseye on March 21, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I love the woman to death, but look, this ‘mommy’ stuff isnt hitting home with voters. We don’t want our mother as President. I don’t want mommy taking care of me. I’m grown. Hillary doesn’t do it and for a reason, ok? When I see Chelsea I think, go home to your freakin mother why don’t ya. Woman are strong now but still we all had mommy growing up. I don’t quite know the answer to that yet. The woman looks good in a burlap bag for god sakes, so uglier clothes aren’t going to help. Maybe some shots of her welding or something or in a hardhat walking around a steel mill. Seriously. I’m not kidding. She’s got to look stronger even though we persfectly know she’s strong as hell already.

johnnyU on March 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM

couldnt he have said… “yeah, um my um bowling score stinks. but you know, as i have always said, uhm, not everyone should bowl. just like not everyone should uhm, you know, um, bird hunt. you can ask uh, Dick Cheney about that.”

that would have been funny, not nearly as offensive, and probably have accomplished what he wanted to accomplish with his complete WASTE OF TIME appearance on Jay Chino.

NavyDavy on March 21, 2009 at 11:54 AM

JohnnyU,

The message was not addressed to the whole country! If a woman that has children does not give that “mom vibe”-then we quickly run and make assumptions.

A woman that is secure, confident and with great self-esteem; multi-tasker and surrounded with love, can do the least and the greatest of things. To top that off, she is like a size 2-4!!!! I should read that to myself or just post it on the fridge! God knows the ups and downs that us moms experience every day.

That “mommy” on the video has more kids that I can handle, one state to run, has a son in the military, one with special needs, Piper that made her grandma, them all excoriated in the MSM: put down, insulted, joked about Sarah being gang-raped, Madonna hollering live in concert “F-U Sarah-Palin!”, etc. etc.

And there you have her, cool as a cucumber and looking great. Dunno about you but I sure wanna know which lipstick she’s wearing because I wanna get one for me too.

PPF

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Wishful thinking

TimeTraveler on March 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Are you referring to Palin’s video message to the Special Olympics? If so, it would seem very appropriate for a parent of a special needs child to say exactly what she said, and the bonus is, unlike many pandering politicians, Sarah actually means what she says.

johnnyU on March 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM

She looks plenty strong to me. She shows the strength of her convictions. That’s the kind of stength America needs.

Red State State of Mind on March 21, 2009 at 1:35 PM

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Wow, you said it much better than I ever could…thanks for posting your comment.

Red State State of Mind on March 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Done That on March 21, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Hell, the evil Bush has degrees from TWO separate Ivy League universities, but was called an “idiot” by his 2004 opponent, whose own SAT scores were lower than Chimpy’s were.

Del Dolemonte on March 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I don’t know Sarah Palin but I get personally offended when some people take cheap shot swipes at her and her family. It just makes me very angry.

RobCon on March 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM

What a classy lady.

/the other, not so much

AZfederalist on March 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Trig is looking good.

unclesmrgol on March 21, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Trig is looking good.

unclesmrgol on March 21, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Pretty child.

hawkdriver on March 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM

“Hell, the evil Bush has degrees from TWO separate Ivy League universities”

.. If you have the money you can buy degrees from as many schools as you like. It has nothing to do with your intelligence.

popularpeoplesfront on March 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM

popularpeoplesfront on March 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Does that reasoning apply to SAT scores also?

Red State State of Mind on March 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM

popularpeoplesfront on March 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM

And if you’re the right color you can get the degrees for free to help them maintain their illusion of “diversity.”.

AaronGuzman on March 22, 2009 at 1:30 PM

That woman is a saint. This country doesn’t deserve her.

Dudley Smith on March 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Finally, the non-teleprompter truth about Obama.
Dumb.

caygeon on March 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Nope. It totally applies to contributions to endowments, otherwise Ted Kennedy would have done 20 years for Manslaughter and be in rehab for his 30th time and Teddy would still have alcohol addiction and Cancer.

old trooper2 on March 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Obama is engaged in the permanent campaign. We used to be able to get at least some respite from non-stop, in-your-face politics, but from now on its going to be 24X7, 365. As a result, we can expect more these embarrassing moments as Obama over-exposure continues. Thanks, Sarah, for giving us hope for a better day.

littleguy on March 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM