Obama insults Special Olympics? Update: Obama thinks Special Olympics are “wonderful”

posted at 9:59 pm on March 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

You know how you can tell when a President has a bad day?  When his comparison of an American corporation to terrorists is the second-stupidest thing he said:

The first appearance by a sitting president on “The Tonight Show” may well end up being the last.

President Obama, in his taping with Jay Leno Thursday afternoon, attempted to yuk it up with the funnyman, and ended up insulting the disabled.

Towards the end of his approximately 40-minute appearance, the president talked about how he’s gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley.

He bowled a 129, the president said.

“That’s very good, Mr. President,” Leno said sarcastically.

It’s “like the Special Olympics or something,” the president said.

Maybe he should have brought his Teleprompter with him.  The Anchoress wonders whether the press will treat him like Bush:

One almost gets tired of saying it, but one must say it, still: Can you IMAGINE what the press and the Dems would do with that, had Bush said it. Can you IMAGINE what the press and the Dems would have done with the Irish PM Teleprompter gaffe (the press has helpfully embargoed the video, so Obama doesn’t have to see it playing 24/7, as Bush would have – had Bush so gaffed). Can you IMAGINE what the press and the Dems would have done if Bush had given the Prime Minister of Great Britain a lousy pack of 50 “Classic” DVD’s that didn’t work in the UK?

Eventually, even the media will have to realize that Obama is in over his head.  They may be the last ones in on the joke, but eventually they’ll catch onto the fact that Obama is floundering.

Update (AP): The Anchoress’s point is well taken, but honestly, I tire of this politically calculated outrage. We all know what he meant; it was politically incorrect, but more political incorrectness among our political elite is all to the good. Lay off.

Update (Ed): Not if only one side gets away with it, AP.

Also, let’s remember that Obama is supposed to be leading, not campaigning or working as a stand-up comedian.  He’s been insisting that we’re in the worst financial crisis in 70 years.  Going on Leno to discuss his policies could have been a smart step; going on Leno to make quips and one-liners, and doing it badly, hardly builds confidence in his leadership or his priorities.  When he stops with the crisis mentality, then he can show us why his stand-up career would have gone nowhere.

Also, wasn’t it Obama and his team that was screeching about the “political incorrectness” of Rush Limbaugh in hoping he’d fail, and insinuating that it amounted to treason?

Update (AP): Outrageous outrage warrants furious walkback!

“Good afternoon. The President made an offhand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics. He thinks that the Special Olympics are a wonderful program that gives an opportunity to shine to people with disabilities from around the world.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 10 11 12

Have a little compassion, Baxter. She put her bra on backwards this morning. The poor thing is confused because she finds that so comfortable.

Yoop on March 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

It would explain the lack of blood flow to the brain.

Baxter Greene on March 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM

The fact is that, no matter how much noise the White House spinmeisters and their media buttboys have been making since last night’s Special Olympics snipe, Obama has once and for all proven himself not only not ready to lead, but unworthy to lead.

jay12 on March 20, 2009 at 11:27 AM

this will turn into a win…he will bowl with some kids and look Rosey.

tomas on March 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM

OMG, I just read about the waterhead comment too.
This clueless wonder should not be allowed out without the TOTUS!

ORconservative on March 20, 2009 at 11:29 AM

‘drunken negro head cookie’?

ThackerAgency on March 20, 2009 at 11:29 AM

dare I say. . . nappy headed?! GASP!

ThackerAgency on March 20, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Couple it with the waterhead comment and he should not be allowed near kids, special population or not.

Holy moly. He is clueless.

ORconservative on March 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Sounds like the new president got waaay too comfortable on Leno’s set yesterday. One Big A*# Mistake America.

RepubChica on March 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM

What 0 deserves over this is mocking derision, not necessarily outrage.

rockhead on March 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Just when I think Obama score/behavior/presidency can’t get any lower, he rolls a perfect GUTTERBALL…

Norwegian on March 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Can this country survive this idiot? Now we know why they have refused to release his college transcripts.

Yesterday, I was in Tombstone Arizona… yes really. And my daughter saw a $0 dollar bill taped to a cash resgister with a picture of Obama smoking and the words, “Me the People.” That should be a bumper sticker.

Homeland security had some guys in the back of a van at the checkpoint near there… Janet (sorry to foist her on the country) hasn’t totally ruined Homeland secruity yet… but she is going after Sheriff Joe like she couldn’t do as Governer.

petunia on March 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Help me out here. I cant read 1000 posts.

What is the waterhead comment?

The Wall on March 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Also, wasn’t Rush castigated vehemently over “making fun” of Michael J. Fox and Parkinson’s patients?

catmman on March 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM

What is the waterhead comment?

The Wall on March 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I won. – Barry.

It’s like the special olympics – Barry.

You’re still retarded – America.

lorien1973 on March 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM

lorien1973 on March 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM

LOL.

chunderroad on March 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM

These are the comments I was talking about but I am not outraged like you on the President’s joke.

getalife on March 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM

So if the evil Bush had said the exact same thing, you would give him a pass as well? Please don’t insult our intelligence.

BTW, I’m still waiting for your explanation proving that Enron happened “on Bush’s watch”. How’s that coming along?

Del Dolemonte on March 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Yes. Vehemently. Relentlessly. Ruthlessly. Endlessly.

ErinF on March 20, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Remember when Don Imus made that comment? Obama was one of those who called for his head….

Talk about a being a hypocrite.

Norwegian on March 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM

What is the waterhead comment?

The Wall on March 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM

This might help.

thomasaur on March 20, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Obama doesn’t need these distractions, he has a country campaign to run.

reaganaut on March 20, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Obama is a turd.
America, aren’t you proud?

SKYFOX on March 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I thought Leno made the Waterhead comment.

Candy Slice on March 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Everything you ever wanted to know about Obama’s boneheaded “waterhead” joke: video, etymology and an ugly example of its use.

Cuffy Meigs on March 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Wow, it’s like the other day at work when I changed some code and missed an easy issue; breaking the compile for everyone and corrupting the code base until it was fixed.

After it was pointed out to me my comment was “That was like Obama level thinking”. Now of course this was an offhand remark about my mistake, and in no way meant to disparage Obama or say anything bad about him or his thinking. *wink*

And I think it’s wonderful that America would give an incompetent like him his chance to shine… though maybe a slightly less important job next time might be in order?

gekkobear on March 20, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Ed only you and the far right wackos think Obama is in over his head. The other 60% think he is doing fine under grueling circumstances. I bet you though [sic] Bush was a great president too. Our side knows all you guys do is try to tear Obama down, you have no true leaders on your side except Jobba the Hut (Rush). So keep on whining , Obama will continue to work hard. Yours is a party without a soul.

athensboy on March 20, 2009 at 7:09 AM

That’s Jabba the Hutt to you, boy…

And Obama is doing quite well tearing things down on his lonesome, with no help from us. In fact, we’re trying to make sure there’s an America left after Take Your Kid to Work Day is over.

unclesmrgol on March 20, 2009 at 12:45 PM

How dare he insult his Vice President!!!

lavell12 on March 20, 2009 at 12:48 PM

unclesmrgol

ROFLMAO!!

Dr. Dog on March 20, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Man I can’t believe this thread is still going and I see the moonbat trolls are out in full force again. They must reaaaaaally be worried about this latest snafu.

Question to all moonbats. Are you getting time and half for this extra work, or you now getting union wages per the latest Porkulus package?

Better get off the computer trollies, your Boy King is speaking in tongues on the boob tube again.

Knucklehead on March 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Apparently Zero is now threatening to sue the racist teleprompter manufacturer for putting words in his mouth.

It’s amazing that Chrissy Matthews, Olbermann, Couric or other mediot isn’t desperately trying to blame Karl Rove implementing mind-rays for Zero’s latest screwup.

viking01 on March 20, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Apperantly, this was not an isoloted “gaffe” last night. Per the Corner:

From a transcript of the Obama’s appearence on the Tonight Show:

MR. LENO: Wow. And it’s, what, a Portuguese water head? (Laughter.) What is it, what kind of dog is it?

MR. OBAMA: It’s not that. (Laughter.)

MR. LENO: It’s not that.

MR. OBAMA: It’s not a “water head.” (Laughter.)

MR. LENO: Whatever they are, I don’t know what they are.

MR. OBAMA: That sounds like a scary dog. (Laughter.) Sort of dripping around the house. (Laughter.)

MR. LENO: I don’t know what it is.

From the Urban Dictionary:

waterhead:

Originaly slang for someone who is Hydrocephalic, but which has now come to refer to any severe idiot or retarded individual.

Norwegian on March 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

GE-TV probably never guessed the price of payback for all that favorable coverage would be so high.

Or is it enough? How about WH naming righs! Comming soon: the GE West Wing, perhaps? Rename the Oval Office the Olbie Office? I’m really looking forward to the Clinton Bedroom.

EconomicNeocon on March 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM

So tard jokes are politically correct now??? Cause I have a bunch of them I have been wanting to use.

Now that the country’s personal Jesus Christ has made tard jokes on Leno, I assume it is OK for the masses to make tard jokes as well.

I have a bunch and will start using them on a daily basis when I talk about Obama and the TOTUS.

The Wall on March 20, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I’m really looking forward to the Clinton Bedroom.

EconomicNeocon on March 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Gee, thanks for THAT image — HEY, I’M TRYING TO EAT MY LUNCH!!!

RegularJoe on March 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Pshh whatever. A complete throw away joke and non-story that is being drummed up here. Luckily we have the MSM on our side and the general populace will never hear about it again. I think the man is awesome — a young President who is chill. Finally!

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:45 PM

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Generation Y at work….

“the lamest generation”

sven10077 on March 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Wow, getalife’s mother showed up.

“Non-story”? I just did a Google news search on this and got almost 2,500 stories from all over the world.

The Christian Science Monitor is carrying it. So is Agence France Presse, MTV, and even the NY Times reported on his having to apologize to the head of the Special Olympics.

BTW, your “young President”, who is in fact almost 50 years old, eats Spam. Is that “chill”, too?

Del Dolemonte on March 20, 2009 at 2:02 PM

dcwvu on March 20, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Indeed.

Okay, run this by your Pssh-meter. Let’s say GWBush is on with Leno. Leno says, “so, you going to have a Presidential Library, or are all those books a little much for you?” Bush replies, “No, I’ve been reading. I’m up to 20 pages per night.” Leno, sarcastically, “Oh, that’s great!” To which Bush replies:

Yeah, like a graduate of a black college!

So, Pshh? Or outrage? It would be — and SHOULD be — outrage, and you know it!!

Now, show me the difference.

See, I just don’t think it’s all the “chill” to demean people because they happen to have learning disabilities. I think it’s crass and cruel, and speaks of poor character.

RegularJoe on March 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Whew!!!
I know I feel safer now knowing that terrorist are now “Man-caused disasters”.

“smart power” indeed.

Baxter Greene on March 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I would have preferred ‘anthropomorphic hyperaccelerated local entropy,’ but OK.

James on March 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Political correctness is an arbitrary speech code that’s not governed by the inherent dignity of actual human beings, rather it’s an arbitrary dictum not to diss friends of the democrat party, namely the militant identity groups like gays and “women” and minorities.

You don’t see the difference between an arbitrary command to leave “certain groups” alone, which is an exercise of coercion, and a moral obligation to respect the inner dignity of the most vulnerable in a society?

Political correctness is frivolous. Respect for human life is not.

jeff_from_mpls on March 20, 2009 at 8:18 AM

This is excellent. Thank you.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I don’t have an extra hour or three to read through all the comments, so someone tell me, did we adequately slap AP for his stupid insights? I “get” that the goal is to promote controversy and get traffic on these subjects, but AP’s defense of Obama was insulting.

anniekc on March 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM

What’s with you, Allah? Don’t you have any kindness of heart? You think that every time something is done it’s because of political calculations? To what extent has your cynicism blinded you?

You already assumed that Palin’s rejection of some of the stimulus money was more of a political move than an issue of integrity. Now this. You think the Anchoress and others of us don’t think this was a genuinely crass and callous thing to say?

INC on March 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Allah’s cynicism over this is disgusting.

INC on March 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM

That’s just me. Believe me, there were more.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM

The term waterhead is new to me. As Norwegian said, using the term shows the other gaffe wasn’t isolated. It’s another indication of Obama’s sickness of soul.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I’m honestly guessing that Obama didn’t have a clue what Waterhead meant. Last night was the first time I heard the term. Jay Leno who brought it up probably had a clue.

Candy Slice on March 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Candy Slice on March 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Trust me, the brother from the Second City knows what it meant.

thomasaur on March 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Candy,

Obama is the kind of guy for whom putting people down is like breathing.* I’m sure he’s heard the term.

__________________

*Remember giving him finger to McCain and Hillary last year, insulting Nancy Reagan and Jessica Simpson. And that was in public!

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM

PIMF:

*Remember giving him finger s/b *Remember him giving the finger

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I actually thought it sounded more like Leno was just making up a word, and didn’t know it had a meaning; and that Obama knew the term and was trying to just get away from it without embarrassing his host. I really don’t hold that one against Obama.

The Special Olympic comment, though, was pretty rude. It showed a shocking unawareness of the Special Olympics, and just how very capable many of its participants are. Being that ignorant of people with disabilities is just as bad for a president as being ignorant of people of other races — and leads to the same sorts of unfair biases.

As others have said, this is troubling, but not the end of the world; but it certainly highlights the double standard to which conservatives are held. Conservatives have been forced from elected office for lesser cause.

RegularJoe on March 20, 2009 at 3:43 PM

In other news, American terrorist A Bomb, ugh! has hit a new low in his polling numbers.

Color me surprised … NOT!

DannoJyd on March 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM

DannoJyd on March 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Looks like he is spending his political capital as fast as he is spending our tax dollars.

msmveritas on March 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Candy,

__________________

INC on March 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Well, a girl can dream her president isn’t as big a jerk as she fears he is.

Candy Slice on March 20, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Candy,

I’m sure that if we saw into his mind for a few minutes we’d probably reel in shock.

He’s a jerk, in fact, he’s worse than a jerk. He’s spent his adult life in the company of Marxists, radical Left activists and Chicago thugs.

INC on March 20, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Chill out people… it was a slip of the tongue. He meant to say,

It’s “like Joe Biden or something,”

See, all of this hullabaloo over nothing.

Chubbs65 on March 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Welcome to the “Special Administration”

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on March 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM

This has probably been stated before but aren’t most bowlers part of the special olympics? Or is that redundant…

right2bright on March 20, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Well, a girl can dream her president isn’t as big a jerk as she fears he is.

Candy Slice on March 20, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Before wiki mysteriously “edited” their entry last year, O’bama’s wiki biography noted that the elite private prep school he went to in Hawai’i, Punahou, at the time condoned a racist practice observed in nearly all schools in the islands at the time, “Kill Haole Day”. On the last school day, all the white kids were beaten up simply because they were the wrong skin color.

If a Republican Presidential candidate had attended such a school, the media would be all over it in a heartbeat. But since O’bama sent a tingle up their legs, such a troubling past was irrelevant.

Del Dolemonte on March 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM

With my deepest and sincerest salute to all Special Olympians:

I am not posting what I actually had written. They deserve my support and gratitude for representing the U S of A.

OneConservative on March 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I see… The President of the United States can make a “retarded” joke use an intern as a sexual cigar receptactle perjur himself under oath in a Grand Jury hearing, but I can’t?

What’s the world coming to?

max1 on March 20, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Fixed that for ya…and to answer your question, that brings us to where we are today.

SuperCool on March 20, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Iowahawk posts Barry’s letters to concerned Special Olympic parents.

I wounder if Allah will chastise Iowahawk too?

Mr. Joe on March 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM

He needed to be black-balled from the start.

eh, like I said during the election, anyone BUT him, black or not this guy is wrong to the core. 2010 people!!! 2010!!
Render this joker useless. No riots, no violence. We have our Constitution my friends!!

johnnyU on March 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Dufus…

RealDemocrat on March 22, 2009 at 2:21 AM

Iowahawk, Palin and Maria Shriver had the right view on this. Allahpundit was… I don’t know what he was doing.

chunderroad on March 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM