Video: Busy president takes break from economic catastrophe to make NCAA picks

posted at 12:55 pm on March 18, 2009 by Allahpundit

Something new for your “What if Bush did it?” file. Texas Rainmaker tipped me to it last night but I ignored it, figuring some White House staffer just filled out a bracket for Obama and handed it off to ESPN. Tain’t so. Watch him go round by round by round. Is this what he was busy doing the last few weeks instead of checking up on AIG? Besides strategizing about Rush Limbaugh, I mean.

A new CNN poll finds 55 percent already complaining that The One’s taken on too much and needs to focus on the economy. This won’t help his numbers. Before you watch, read Byron York’s piece yesterday about how Team Barry stumbled into so many tax snafus with their cabinet nominees. York’s thesis: Obama simply overestimates how much the public will let him get away with. Audacity indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

World’s biggest celebrity.

TheBigOldDog on March 18, 2009 at 3:23 PM

You should get paid for being this stupid.

AubieJon on March 18, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Can you explain what you disagree with in my comment aside from just calling me stupid? Maybe I’m stupid, but at least tell me why.

tneloms on March 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Goofing on Obama is hatred now?

zmdavid on March 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM

If it were just goofing it would be fine. (Silly, but fine.) Read the 200 comments on this post and tell me if you think people are treating this light-heartedly or if they are serious. Many commenters explicitly mention how much they hate Obama. I don’t think I’m reading too deeply in this.

Ed even brings up the “What if Bush did it?” theme, which implies that he actually thinks that Bush didn’t do things like this (e.g., photo-ops related to sports), that if he had the media would have made a big deal out of it, and that he thinks it matters.

tneloms on March 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Quit saying “he fiddled while Rome Burns” take a closer look and you will see the flame thrower on his back spewing fire. He is not ignoring Rome Burning, he is actively involved in burning it down.

chemman on March 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Here’s Dave on the previous President:

“A classy man bringing honor and dignity to the office of the President of the United States.”

Dave Rywall on August 9, 2008 at 12:35 PM

And, on a new note for a new President:

Even I am not so retarded to suggest that a head of state taking an hour to join in his nation’s fun like a normal human being is inappropriate.

You just hate that Bush never had this very simple but smart idea.

Dave Rywall on March 18, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe there are two Dave Rywalls in this world.

unclesmrgol on March 18, 2009 at 2:14 PM
——
Your hands. There’s too much time on them.

Bush shouldn’t have put himself in that position so that a photo such as that could have been snapped.

Apples. Oranges.

Dave Rywall on March 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Are you serious?

He stayed and kept reading to the children. This is probably one of the absolute last moments of his presidency that should ever be brought up.

Dave Rywall on March 18, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I responded with:

I’ve heard this lame lefty meme for so long now and it’s so old, stale and covered with mold that I can’t believe anyone with a functioning synapse would even dredge it up anymore, but then again I’m responding to something Dry-Hump said, so it goes to reason!

First of all Dry-Hump (Dry-Hump because that’s all you probably ever get) let me ask you, how do you recommend Bush respond, by jumping up out of his chair screaming “oh my God, oh my God, what should we do” running around the classroom like his head was on fire and scare the shiite out of those little kids? Perhaps that’s how you would respond, but then again I think most 10 year old girls would be more composed during an emergency then you would be!

How Bush reacted was how a president should react to such news, in a calm, cool, and collected manner as to not scare the children and to provide the secret service and other agencies sufficient time (5 or 10 minutes) to determine the best course of action to respond and protect the POTUS!

Geeezzz, and you call us on HA idiots, you know psychologist have a word for what you display, it’s called PROJECTION…look it up!

So take that stale, lame, illogical, ignorant, and moldy left-tard talking point and shove it…oh and don’t go away mad, just go away unless you want me to humiliate you some more!

Liberty or Death on March 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Yet no response from Dry-Hump…typical, he can throw his old and stale lefty memes, dear leader talking points, and continue to deflect and project his own shortcomings but doesn’t have the stones to response to my post!

How about it Dry-Hump, why not respond if all of us HA commenter’s are just idiots and retards? Surely you can easily refute my response to you, after all, I’m just a lil ol’ HA idiot/retard so it should be easy for you!

The truth is I know why you won’t respond, it’s because you know you’re comment was lame, illogical, and just plain ignorant!

Liberty or Death on March 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM

“you’re” in my preious post should be “YOUR.”

Liberty or Death on March 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I don’t have any problems with President Obama having a little photo-op time.

The problem that I have is that one of the major reasons he was voted in as President was because he made the economy the number one priority.

Having such a huge number of appointments remaining in the Treasury Dept doesn’t look good.

As I tell my children, what are your priorities???

HarryStar on March 18, 2009 at 3:50 PM

What a piece of crap. NOT READY TO LEAD.

marklmail on March 18, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Bush meet Obama
Obama meet Bush

One is white
One is black

They’re both goofballs
They’re both entitled to the Seal of the Presidency

At least the Barackberry and the Barack TelePrompTer weren’t there… and the thought of NCAA basketball outweighing NATO scares me. NATO at least matters…

HotAirJosef on March 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Man is he awesome… Going on Leno, filling out NCAA tournament brackets, attacking Limbaugh…. deliberately destroying the economy and country along with it. Oh yeah, he did do some good things… Ridding us of evil terms like “War on Terror”, “Enemy Combatant”, and (for those of you who haven’t heard), “terrorism”. That’s right, Homeland Security Sec. Napolitano is changing the “T-word” to “man-caused disasters”. (Sadly, I’m not kidding)

RightWinged on March 18, 2009 at 4:32 PM

It’s all a party! Wednesday night soirees. Jet on out to LA to be on The Tonight Show! He is even going to make an appearance on American Idol.
carbon_footprint on March 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Please say that is not true.

On the other hand, will we get a chance to phone in a vote for a new president?

capitalist piglet on March 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM

This particular item, the basketball picks is not huge, but combined with EVERYTHING else, it shows what a loser he is!

anniekc on March 18, 2009 at 3:19 PM

If he has time for brackets why not a joint press conference with the PM from our #1 ally.

elBarto on March 18, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Perfect back-to-back posts putting this televised Baracking of the NCAA picks in perspective.

RickZ on March 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM

On the other hand, at least Barack seems to enjoy himself for a change. I think he would like being a sportscaster more than being president and the country could rest easier knowing Barack is where he belongs.

el gordo on March 18, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Your hands. There’s too much time on them.

Apples. Oranges.

Dave Rywall on March 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Took no time at all. I just entered “[Dd][.a-z] [rR]ywall” into my google search appliance and all sorts of stuff popped up. I just chose the single sample that made my point. And boy do you get into a lot of fights — the liberals (with a small “l”) don’t seem to like you. I’m impressed with your ability to fire up the base.

Apples and apples, Dave. If Bush shouldn’t have done anything to provide an adverse photo op, Obama shouldn’t have either. Kinda restricts the things they can do, but hey, they aren’t human any more, as you showed in your first post and the comment you just made. Or, rather, some are human (the ones you, Mr. Rywall, don’t hate) and others don’t deserve to be, right?

[Personally, I could care less, but I have a certain thing about people who say one thing one time and something different the next. As President, I have been slightly more politically astute by not showing off NCAA picks, but then I didn’t promise to do so like Mr. Obama did, In fact, that appears to be the second campaign promise he’s actually kept.]

unclesmrgol on March 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I hope UNC goes out in the first round. Go Radford! (watch the officiating when UNC plays…)

varnson on March 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM

He addresses himself as ‘We’ if you guys noticed.

justinok on March 18, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Keep him busy doing “busy work”, every time he tries to “run” the country he screws up…

right2bright on March 18, 2009 at 5:07 PM

“Here is what I like about Carolina, experience and balance.”

Really, really you say this?

- The Cat

P.S. I bet they all had to show their birth certificates to enroll.

MirCat on March 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Barack bracketed while the economy burned.

This is absurd.

Yeah, I get its only a few minutes of his time. But surely he could have been vetting at least one of the possible treasury appointments in the time it took him to do this?

texas lawyer on March 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM

my daughter is at radford. i don’t even she believes her team has a chance against UNC.

but what is most impt., is what does bambi & the first Clydesdale think? and how can they get ACORN to “fix” it?

kelley in virginia on March 18, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Wow, Bush/Obama and the Federal Reserve are leading us down the road to a serious inflationary depression and they are doing this? Must be nice for the bankers and the politicians.

True_King on March 18, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Is this what that piece of shiite does all day? Here’s a thought: quit worrying about college basketball and Jay Leno, and read some frigging bills before you sign them.

Ronnie on March 18, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Hmmmm…I’d feel much safer if he was getting into playing Squad Leader or Stratego or something along those lines.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM

let the man fill out his bracket, you all are a bunch of racist!/sarc

custer on March 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I actually this has been beneficial ’cause there’s no way I’m picking UNC now… We’ve seen the results when BHO talks about the economy…

Neo-con Artist on March 18, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Busy president takes break from Operation Rushbo economic catastrophe to make NCAA picks

Correction by the Honesty Policy

DSchoen on March 18, 2009 at 5:45 PM

And his Final Four picks are: Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death.

Jim Treacher on March 18, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Why is this bastard still campaigning? Because that’s all he has EVER done. He’s the dog that caught the car.

cannonball on March 18, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I’m getting the sense that he didn’t read the job description before he got in the race. In fact, he probably still hasn’t read it. Maybe someone should put it on his teleprompter.
Landshark

I think your right Landshark.
BTW, does anyone one know how to hack into his teleprompter?
If we could we could fix everything.

DSchoen on March 18, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Silly.

getalife on March 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Yeah, I agree. Dave Drywall is a laff riot.

Del Dolemonte on March 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM

My conspiracy theory for the day:

Let’s see, Mr Teleprompter said who he wanted to win in the Super Bowl. Next thing ya know, the Cards were getting penalties all over the place, and with some sort of dumb luck, the Steelers managed to get a couple of touchdowns that weren’t really touchdowns. Now, Art Rooney gets a job working for him in Ireland….

Now, with the NCAA March Madness, I wonder who’s going to lay down because the guy in the White House wants them to lose? Will the coach or the University get something for it?

cebj25 on March 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM

tneloms on March 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Excuse me, but much of the outrage is no one in the Obama administration or Congress took the time to work through the bailout details or read the damn bill. Instead, we have them filming for ESPN or going on Leno or socializing.

Give me a break. Bush did not do the society circuit in DC in the middle of Katrina or 9/11

eaglesdontflock on March 18, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Since I would rather eat broken glass than to wade through the troll posts , let me add-
If the previous president did this in a financial and economic mess I’m guessing the line to rip him would extend around the block.
And- boy am I glad Teleprompter is taking all of these breaks and parties because otherwise I might think he was, oh I don’t know-
F***ING LAZY.

jjshaka on March 18, 2009 at 6:37 PM

So all this time he was actually talking about the “audacity of hoops”?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM

When is The One joining the Celebrity Poker Tournament Series??

Dire Straits on March 18, 2009 at 6:50 PM

As if the president has to be in Washington sitting at the table with person X to work with person X on whatever the fu** they’re supposed to work on. Are you from 1892 or something?

Dave Rywall on March 18, 2009 at 1:44 PM

So what stops him from doing the Leno show remotely, while doing the face to face with Supergenius X in Washington?

What does the fact that you suggest he do the opposite say about your priorities?

Was he elected to manage affairs of government, or to prop up ratings for over the hill comedians?

VelvetElvis on March 18, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Isn’t this just a distraction?

Conservative_SAHM on March 18, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Why the outrage? After all we know who really is in charge of the Obama Presidency:

The moron Obama is just a figurehead

Norwegian on March 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Don’t worry, the filthy liar will be outraged and questioning AIG’s expenditure on toner cartridges and paper clips any day. It’s what happens when you decide to take over and personally run a business on behalf of the American people.

In the meantime, how do you suppose the filthy liar is going to spin it when his teams don’t win?

highhopes on March 18, 2009 at 7:37 PM

That pandering clown.

Kralizec on March 18, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Guys, got orders to copy it

ProudPalinFan on March 18, 2009 at 8:12 PM

How about, we give Obama to Canada for two future draft choices.

Johan Klaus on March 18, 2009 at 2:37 PM

No can do. He’s not yet finished with “Take Your Kid To Work Day”.

unclesmrgol on March 18, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Gambling is illegal just ask Judge Smails. If obama is spending time partying and filling out ESPN Tourney brackets, who’s running the WH? Rahm???

Gohawgs on March 18, 2009 at 8:51 PM

you know this time he could have focused on Rush Limbaugh.

rob verdi on March 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM

“What I like about North Carolina is…experience and balance’.

Ha! It’s judgement that matters, not experience Mr. O! Read that teleprompter baby!

DrW on March 18, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Liberty or Death – Excellent smackdown on dry-hump! I have said for years that President Bush acted EXACTLY the way a President should have in that moment in time in that classroom. The libtards like dry-hump screaming like banshees over this subject IS what was retarded.As for the original story, President EmbarrASSment and his little dog TOTUS being “cool” filling out NCAA brackets? I have reached the point where nothing this Jack@ss in chief does surprises me anymore…

EagleClaw on March 18, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Coach K not a big fan of Obama or his picks

lavell12 on March 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Obama was pretty good in this. I think he missed his calling as a sports analyst. Too bad for all of us.

Hawthorne on March 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM

“Is there a drum roll around here?”

Are you serious?!?!?!!!

nolapol on March 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM

The real March Madness is going on inside the White House….

TN Mom on March 18, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I hope he’s able to break away from these NCAA picks in time to make the Leno show.

Maxx on March 18, 2009 at 10:53 PM

He’s not busy! He’s solved the economic problem–by printing more money.

Why, he even has time to write another book.

PattyJ on March 18, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Bush did not do the society circuit in DC in the middle of Katrina or 9/11

No, but he was reading a children’s book while people were burning alive in attacked buildings.

radiofreevillage on March 19, 2009 at 1:39 AM

radiofreevillage on March 19, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Meanwhile, NerObama picks NCAA brackets and Culture Ministers while the economy burns. No man of any level of mortal power can “do anything” after a plane crashes into a building. NYFD did the best they could, and it wouldn’t have mattered of Bush suffenly acted panicked and rushed out of the room to what? Bug the NYFD chief on the red phone?

You make it sound like Bush, who I presume you believe is a hopeless idiot, has some kind of divine power and if only he had panicked in front of 10 year olds to fly immediately to his office in Washington D.C., New York City would have been slightly less charred that day.

As to Katrina, you ignorant peon, Bush was attempting to send federal support days before the storm hit, but Blanco-Gov. D LA and Nagin Mayor D NO decided that you should never waste a good crisis. Funny how when political hay is to be made, floods and fires are looked at in terms of Democrat political power grabs instead of dead bodies and destroyed homes.

BKennedy on March 19, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Bread and circuses.

Send_Me on March 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Trade Obama a basketball, a bong, and a Deering coke grinder in exchange to leave his job. He’s looking more like Nixon’s administration by the day anyway.

adamsmith on March 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM

He probably gambled a trillion or so on that too

Tremmy on March 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM

You should really post the Coach K. quote and/or video as an update to this. Between UNC’s shootaround with candidate Obama and these latest events, I have been entertaining the notion of ditching lifelong support for my Alma Mater (born and bred Tar Heel fan here) and rooting instead for the Blue Devils.

Shhh . . . don’t tell anyone! It’ll be our little secret, like the fact that Jimmy Carter is advising the current president on national security.

Hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. D%$# it, we’re all doomed.

(Exit question: will the White House Press Bully fire off a response to Coach K.’s criticism? Or is it safe to dissent now?)

cackcon on March 19, 2009 at 10:15 AM

radiofreevillage on March 19, 2009 at 1:39 AM

What could Bush have done other than to alarm the kids? He got out as soon as he could after being appraised that the airline accident of which he had been informed was a probable terrorist attack. Bush got kudos from the teachers in the classroom for not causing the kids anxiety.

Besides, did Bush’s reading cause enhanced damage to the Twin Towers or the Pentagon? Is there anything Bush could have done to mitigate the disasters other than ordering the shoot down of every commercial airliner in the air at that moment?

If you think so, you’re trash talking like Osama bin Ladin:

Osama bin Laden made reference to the story in a videotaped speech released just prior to the 2004 U.S. presidential election, claiming that Bush’s reading of the book had given the hijackers more than enough time to carry out the attacks.

I know that when I saw Obama doing his picks, I understood that there was going to be at least 50% damage right there. And I’ve been proven right. You should see the LA Times today and the reaction from UCLA’s basketball team (whom Obama marked off as eliminated).

A President must be President of all the People most of the time, and publicly dissing half of the teams in the NCAA Tournament is not the way to be there.

unclesmrgol on March 19, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Reference to Osama in link above is here.

unclesmrgol on March 19, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Well he’s 0-1 in his bracket so far. lol :)

crash1211 on March 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM